[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ear protection

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: howard leight.jpg (71KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
howard leight.jpg
71KB, 750x750px
New shooter here. Is pic related okay for protecting my ears or are muffs inherently better?
>>
>>32160445
It's kinda metrosexual, but it works.

I'm a former grunt. I'll shove the cheap orange styrofoam shit in my ear before that. But it's 2017 - 1 month. Be gay it's OK.
>>
>>32160445
just get plugs and muffs and use both
>>
>>32160445
It works, but, if it's foam rubber and you do a lot of shooting the foam will dry out your ear canal and you'll have itchy ears.
>>
>>32160445
Depends on what you're doing and where you're shooting.

Out in the open with more standard small-arms calibers and you can get away with a single layer of hearing protection. Anything enclosed and you'll want ear plugs and muffs for anything bigger than .22lr.

Those ear plugs don't lend themselves to dual hearing protection very well; but if you don't need it, I can see how they'd be convenient.
>>
>>32160445
Each on their own, plugs beat muffs. Both is best.
>>
File: 1479129705229.jpg (25KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
1479129705229.jpg
25KB, 520x390px
>>32160477
Didn't you hear? The current year is ours now
>>
>>32160445
Personally I prefer muffs unless I'm shooting rifles. Muffs are a bit annoying when shooting longarms. Exception is if I am shooting inside, then I will double up no matter what. My rifles are fucking loud.
>>
>>32160477
wtf hickok is gay now?
>>
>>32160710
Ok I didn't even know using both plugs and muffs was a thing I just saw what senpai hickock was using. I'll be shooting indoors mostly so i'll get both.
>>
>>32160445
The muffs + plugs meme needs to die. Decibels are logarithmic. You're getting maybe 2-3 extra dB protection at most from stacking up. I did the calculation once converting from dB to linear units, adding, then converting back to dB. If you really want better ear pro go with electronic.
>>
>>32160445
Outdoor shooting is fine, but you need muffs and plugs indoors, speciall for magnum loads.
>>
>>32160445
I use those, when you put them on pull the top of your ear up and push the ear plug in a little more to get good sound protection. I like them because they don't get in the way. Best thing to look for is comfort, if using ear muffs you can always double up with the ear duds.
>>
i also suggest both plugs and muffs.
i used to wear only plugs (mostly outdoor ranges) and i wasnt uncomfortable. after a few years, slowly but surely, i noticed my hearing was getting kind of funny. then about 6 months ago, i realized i have a very mild case of tinnitus.
moral of the story, better safe than sorry
>>
>>32160445
using disposable foam plugs AND ear muffs is the best level of hearing protection, and better then using just one or the other.
>>
>>32160858
>I noticed a problem but don't know the exact cause or solution
>I didn't even try the method I am suggesting nor did I tell you my experience with said method for comparison
>but hey here's my broscience
>>
>>32160445
Depends. Better than muffs, good for most pistols and 5.56. But if you (or someone a lane over) is shooting 7.62 with a muzzle break you'll want plugs and muffs.
>>
>>32160909
I have, works very well. Only required for high muzzle blast.
>>
>>32160909
i work in an office. other than shooting guns, im not exposed to any loud noise which could cause my hearing issue, atleast not to my knowledge. if you read my post again, it says i used to only wear plugs. i now wear both.
i also never claimed any "science" just m anecdotal experience.
>>
>>32160808
You're pretty uninformed friend.

>implying you just add the protection levels together
>implying electronic headphones aren't worse than earplugs (they are)
>>
>>32160909
Did you complete school? Reading comprehension is a big part of that stuff I hear.
>>
>>32160477
>most common kind of reusable earbuds
>it's orange so it's gay

Projecting any?
>>
File: 1446520216672.jpg (1003KB, 4500x4334px) Image search: [Google]
1446520216672.jpg
1003KB, 4500x4334px
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>32161030
>fall while climbing one day
>really eat shit doing tons of soft tissue damage but nothing brakes
>swell up like crazy
>bed rest (legit can't move) for a week
>swelling is in my right ear too
>EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I have seen hell friends. Take care you don't end up there.
>>
just wear both plugs and muffs
why take any risk with your hearing when it's so easy to prevent?
>>
File: 1466739970469.gif (860KB, 600x313px) Image search: [Google]
1466739970469.gif
860KB, 600x313px
>>32161030
>>
>>32160671
>>32160730
>>32160998

I told you metrosexuals. Own more butt plugs than ear plugs.
>>
>>32160445
Anyone got an Amazon link for the OP pic? I wanna be hicok45 too.
>>
>>32161140
I don't know if no one told you, but metrosexual men still fuck women.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
>>
>>32161160
Google "Howard Leight Earband"
>>
>>32161206
#with her? I know. I'm the Marine here, I'm supposed to be less intelligent. Please stop using double negatives.

* I don't know if anyone told you.
>>
>>32161273
>I'm the Marine here

This explains your fascination with butt sex.
>>
>>32161529
I love butt sex dude. I do it with females is the only difference between us.
>>
>>32161273
Also, that isn't not an double negative.
>>
>>32161568
Hey, it's almost 2017, who am I to judge your love of pegging.

also,
>females
A dress does not make a lady, friend
>>
>>32160808

If you DID get 3 more decibels reduction thats literally twice as good. That's how decibels and logarithmic scales work. Good rule of thumb is 3 dB is roughly double.

The difference between 10 and 20 isn't ten units or double like in a base ten, it's logarithmic so the difference between 10 and 20 is 10 times the difference.

So a plug that gives you 25 dB reduction is literally, mathematically, TWICE as good as one that gives 22 dB reduction.
>>
>>32161590
?? I don't get your home board memes. Say that again like you belong on /k/.
>>
>>32161657
He did m80. Simply pointing out the love we have for ladyboys. You're a Marine, don't deny it.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.