[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, I have a quick question. Say I wanted to replace the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: pix881971445.jpg (33KB, 640x162px) Image search: [Google]
pix881971445.jpg
33KB, 640x162px
Hey guys, I have a quick question. Say I wanted to replace the stock of a sporterized abomination like pic related. Is it as simple as buying a new stock for the gun and then disassembling and reassembling it; or is it more complicated than I think? How would I go about restoring an Enfield like pic related to look like a proper one?
>>
>>32156397
As long as you get the right barrel bands and the actual barrel hasn't been shortened then yeah, it'll basically be remove bubba stock and put on original style stock.
>>
>>32156418
Awesome; well that makes me feel a lot better about buying a sporterized piece of shite. A lot of the time, the sporterized milsurp guns are decent quality at a good deal.
>>
>>32156486

Yea but the money you save is almost always less than what it costs to restore the rifle. Replacing all the wood on an SMLE can cost anywhere from 150-300 dollars, possible even more if you want nice looking replacement parts. And that's for something common like an SMLE.

While I'm not saying it's not a neat project, and I do wish you the best of luck on it, it's not really a way to get an"original" rifle for cheap, since you almost always end up paying 50-100% more than what it's worth.
>>
No, it's not that simple. Even modern rifles and modern stocks can and often will require fitting work.

Milsurp even more so, not everything is exactly the same down to the minutia that ensure the bedding is as it should be. Lee Enfields are particularly vulnerable it seems because of their two piece stock make up and all the surplus spare parts available, something about it meant that through the last 70 years bubba has seen fit to swap stocks more than on other milsurp rifles. That and mismatched bolts contribute to bad shooting Enfields probably as much as worn out bores do; if the stock is just slapped on odds are the bedding isn't right, and if it isn't say hello to pie plate MOA.

You need to know about Lee Enfield bedding to replace a stock properly, even one that seems to fit might not be making the right kinds of pressure in the right places.
>>
>>32156823
Ah i see, thanks for the info. Just fyi, i haven't purchased pic related, i am just curious about the process. What about something like a Mauser?
>>
File: 20161101_120132.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161101_120132.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>32156397
I bought a barreled no 4 mk1 action, cannibalize a sporterized no4mk1, and bought a stock for it. Hits 5/5 on a 1'x1' steel plate at 500yds. Most expensive part was the new stock. Esarco has really fucking cheap barreled actions
Its in this pic
>>
>>32156397
Generally if the barrel has not been cut it can be easy. But two things can throw wrenches into what seems like an easy thing:
>Missing hardware
>Finding a replacement stock

Missing hardware is more of a headache or extra expense that most forget to include.
Sometimes finding a replacement stock is the hard part. Most milsurp rifles have been out of service for at least a few decades. And out of production for even longer. Often original replacement parts just don't exist anymore (and even with common guns you will find this). That means you will have to buy reproduction parts and these are often very expensive (the stock can cost as much as the finished rifle is worth) and still require fitting.
>>
>>32156863
Same thing, different requirements and processes. Mausers and other one piece stock designs are possibly a little simpler, but it depends on what the original design required.
>>
>>32156903
I live only a half hour from their showroom.

They have a wall full of mausers (mostly Yugo but some Swede) that you can just pull down.

Unfortunately their showroom is no longer connected to their wearhouse so you can't browse through countless different gun parts. They only have the common gun parts out on display.
>>
>>32156963
Theyre dicks on the phone but they got some cool shit
>>
>>32157149
They can be dicks at the counter too. Half the employees don't really care for milsurp but are into modern guns (ARs & AKs).
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.