[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /k/ hate the idea of combat mecha?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: Untitled-62.png (702KB, 681x751px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-62.png
702KB, 681x751px
Why does /k/ hate the idea of combat mecha?
>>
>>32154638
too many weak points
its asking for a hit in the leg
>>
>>32154638
Because they are just for looks.
The only justification for them in any size beyond 7' tall is "WAAAAAAAAHHHHH, I WANNNNNA BEIN IN AN ANIMEEEEEEEEEEEE, WAAAAAAAAH!"
>>
>>32154638
Ever since I left the city (You)
>>
>>32154638

Not feasible. Too dense and top heavy.

If the goal is to move horizontally, wheels and treads work too well to justify something so complex.

Besides, this new generation of warfare is really testing just how feasible some military equipment really is. IED's are a huge problem and the conventional mech design offers no solution to that.

How do you explain that you lost a 50 million dollar piece of equipment to a couple trash can bombs that cost ~5 bucks to make each ?
>>
>>32154651
Started wearing less, going out more

>>32154638
I like Gundams and similar mecha as much as the next guy, but we must not let our emotions and desires delude us from the reality that they cannot be feasible in combat.

Small mechs, on the other hand, may have a niche to fill in jungle warfare but that's it.
>>
it's worse than a tank in every way

height, speed, fuel efficiency, carrying capacity, cost.
>muh climbing over obstacles
just make a bigger tank to climb over shit, it'll still weigh less and cost less and do literally everything better
>>
>>32154723
8th MS Team was pretty great, right?
>>
>>32154723
sorry, I forgot "mountains". Steep vertical climbing is possibly the single place where legs are better. But building a machine for that single task that is worse at the other 99% of scenarios is dumb.
>>
>>32154638

>Chode missiles
>>
File: 1441091165756.jpg (8KB, 216x233px) Image search: [Google]
1441091165756.jpg
8KB, 216x233px
>>32154638
because it's retarded
>>
>>32154740
No need for streamlined missiles in space, no air resistance.
>>
>>32154638
Rule of cool doesn't translate well into the real world, especially when the main objective is "kill that thing dead" and "don't get killed yourself"
>>
File: white_glint_paint1.jpg (61KB, 990x815px) Image search: [Google]
white_glint_paint1.jpg
61KB, 990x815px
What if it can fly and fast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYobjhdy11s
>>
>>32154638

They're not cool in anime if you're not 12 and they're impractical and shitty in real life.
>>
They're horrifically inefficient. You have to design a system that can balance thousands of pounds of metal on a single leg which has 3 unprotectable points of weakness and give the machine the ability to shift that balance to the other leg every time it takes a step. Now imagine this process taking place on a rocky slope, in sinking mud, loose sand or thin pavement. Add the consideration that it'd need a nuclear reactor or some other light weight high efficiency engine, an ammo magazine and a cockpit which would logically be placed in the torso and have an armor case built around them for protection. Weapons would then be placed on the limbs or simply be the limbs themselves.

So what you have done is take a tank turret, expanded it so that it can also hold an engine and fuel, motor and batteries or nuclear reactor and you've placed it on 2 rickety stilts. You've successfully moved the most vulnerable and vital systems to a place that is more exposed, more difficult to shield and cannot take advantage of sloped armor.

The only possible advantage I see is the slight ability to see over cover and engage hostile combatants that troops may not be able to see. You've created something less useful than a tank or CAS and much more expensive.
>>
File: MSM-07.jpg (394KB, 797x716px) Image search: [Google]
MSM-07.jpg
394KB, 797x716px
>>32154638

The Z'gok might be the only practical one I've seen so far. It's basically an amphibious submarine that is faster and more maneuverable than regular subs and ships.
>>
>>32154778
take same technology and apply to tank or fighter
more efficient use of space
smaller profile
>>
File: Triseed.jpg (359KB, 680x580px) Image search: [Google]
Triseed.jpg
359KB, 680x580px
>>32154950
Power armor then?

>>32155003
This one is cooler looking
>>
>>32154638
Finnish Plustech/Timberjack made a six-legged forest harvester aimed for hard to reach terrains like mountain sides with relatively steep slopes and slippery conditions.

They achieved it, and it worked, however the solution was so slow and expensive that just a team of 4 human expert mountaineer loggers with a traditional call-in cargo helicopter log transport service was already better.

It's already quite well established that a "mecha" will not be a primary mecha, but an auxiliary mecha. Like how to do surveillance, how to spot and study IEDs, how to assist carrying cargo or climb over walls.

Exoskeleton (armoured) will be the next step, however it will be simply an auxiliary mecha.

You do not want to give it to a primary AI. Which would make it a primary mecha. But you do not want to do it. You just don't.
>>
>>32154638
Because human joints cant survive warfare at present past 3 deployments (nonfobbit type)
>>
>>32154638
I like the idea of it, just not the reality of it. Giant robots are fucking cool, but they're also fucking stupid. That's actually probably why they/re cool, just like chainsaw rockets and power fists
>>
File: knees, exploding.jpg (67KB, 600x1250px) Image search: [Google]
knees, exploding.jpg
67KB, 600x1250px
>>32154638

>literally exploding knees
>>
File: drone of prey.jpg (34KB, 634x423px) Image search: [Google]
drone of prey.jpg
34KB, 634x423px
>Tfw the future of warfare is probably going to be some dumb shit like thousands of disposable networked drones with shaped charge bombs and hand grenades, and other drones with nets and shit trying to intercept them.
>>
>>32156733
I honestly think drone swarms would be pretty badass
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.