[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could Operation Unthinkable have worked in 1945?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 1453556605599.jpg (425KB, 1581x1993px) Image search: [Google]
1453556605599.jpg
425KB, 1581x1993px
Could Operation Unthinkable have worked in 1945?
>>
No. The only way I see the Allies soundly defeating the Soviet Union in 1945 is if the Soviets foolishly attacked first.
>>
Yes. The "keeping them at the Rhine" plan, not the first one.

The Soviets had absolutely no answer for US air power in Europe, and B-29s from Tehran could easily reach Moscow, and their production in the Urals from Tehran and France. Not to mention how badly we could chew up the Red Army in Germany that had pillaged the countryside and would have to deal with thousands of armed partisans.
>>
i think yes, the us could blockade the soviet union and bomb the shit out of their factories behind the urals
combat wise, the soviets had no real answer for the combined arms expertise the us had
>>
>>32154532
No, westfags would've gotten curbstomped on.
>>
>>32154532
I am fairly certain that the combined allied (sans Russian of course) naval/air power would crush the Russian equivalent. Hence the most of the remaining Russian manufacturing would have been destroyed. Russia would most likely not be wanting for troops but equipment after a while as supply lines where bombed to oblivion. All of that with the allied troops being freshly supplied by unmolested manufacturing from the US/Canada.

I don't think it is a question of if it would have worked but how long it would take and if public support would have existed long enough.
>>
>Tyhoons and jugs shoot up every supply convoy they find
>no new trucks from lend lease
>commie logistics fall apart post haste.
>>
How many nuclear bombs did the US have the capacity to produce?
>>
>>32155298
>>
>>32154532
It would have worked. Without lend lease Russia would be suffering and now the allies would blockade all of the Russian ports. Allied airsuperiority would destroy every bridge on the Russian supply lines starving the troops in western europe. Also the Americans have the atom bomb in the july of 1945.

Only major problems for the allies would be too many slaws and not ennough bullets and swinging the public support for this attack on a former "ally".
>>
>>32155397
Shit. By "western europe" I meant Germany.
>>
File: Knipsel.jpg (117KB, 916x640px) Image search: [Google]
Knipsel.jpg
117KB, 916x640px
>>32154532
>Could Operation Unthinkable have worked in 1945?
Yes, and the West would have won. Pic related.
>>
>>32155298
>>32155310
See
>>32155580
>>
>>32154532
>Could Operation Unthinkable have worked in 1945?
one of the great what ifs of the last century.

i for one think it could have worked, but not to underestimate the russians it may have been very messy.
>>
I think yes, and I think Patton thought the same, and wanted to do it. The soviets looted their way west, and would have been SOL if they had to withdraw. Maybe lol.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.