[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I an asshole for working at Gander Mountain? Every guy who

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 4

Am I an asshole for working at Gander Mountain? Every guy who I meet irl says it's a shit business.
>>
yeah, overpriced uninformed assholes with usually know knowledge besides their dads shitty deer rifles.

>looking for a mauser?
>got this nice yugo slav m27, only 500 dollars. that's a ww2 nazi rifle, hard to find.
you people are scum. retail sucks enough as it is, why did you think a niche retail job would be any better.
>>
>>32150777
Wel lI only work there because I'm bored and tired of being NEET. I know a good bit about guns, but we do have a few people who don't know what they're talking about.

If you're talking about us not knowing everything about every specific brand and not having shot every gun we have in stock, then that's not anyone's fault.
>>
File: 20160913_111023.jpg (1MB, 2612x1959px) Image search: [Google]
20160913_111023.jpg
1MB, 2612x1959px
>>32150777
>why did you think a niche retail job would be any better

I used to work there. It's chill as fuck.

>can not come into work multiple days and no one gives a shit
>head managers are women and super easygoing
>can shoot the shit with basically any customer because it's a hobby based store
>can educate womyn and newcomers on guns
>get to hold and sample tons of weapons
>fuckhuge employee discounts

Only problem was the pay is shit and you don't get enough hours. I quit for that reason. Walmart pays $11/hr, why can't you?
>>
>>32150725
Fun fact

>go to gunsmithing school
>almost done
>gunsmith position opens at Gander
>apply
>guy tells me you have to be done with school before they consider you
>okay I heard you have an opening at the gun counter as well
>we want people with sales experience not gun experience

And you wonder why no one fucking likes your stupid fucking business
>>
>>32150843
Why didn't you just lie about sales experience?
>>
>>32150725
I found some .303 there once for decent money. And their guide gear or whatever store brand stuff is decent and always on sale. Other than that they're just "Sporting goods store xyz"
>>
>>32150860
I told him I had sales experience, which I did, but he said he had 10 year jewelry salesmen and car salesmen

He straight told me he didn't care about whether I knew the product, only that I was able to sell it
>>
>>32150725

The one in my area, in North Houston, has nothing but fudds working the counters. I've heard them say things like "Oh well if you can't hit something in 6 rounds when the SHTF then you shouldn't even have a gun!" and "You know, a 5.56 is totally worthless round for self-defense as it punches through walls" before they suggest a fucking .308 for home defense.

Also, they're outrageously overpriced on average. I mean they have good sales every know and then, and they offer warranties on things like sights and free gunsmiths with purchases but it's reflected in the price of everything else. I've seen a (badly) sporterized Lee Enfield they had on hand for $550.
>>
>>32150843
OP here. Gun counter isn't fun. Although I bet you were just going to use it as a stepping stone anyway, but I just wanted to put it out there.

>>32150878
They try to force us to get people to get our credit card for whatever reason, and they give hourly reports about how close we are to our quote on the radio.
>>
>>32150881
OP here. I have poor social skills and only a moderate knowledge level about guns. I can tell you how each type of gun works, how to handle it, how to clean it, how it works, the physics behind it, etc. I cannot however tell you which gun is the best or feels best or who it's best for.

I have been there for over a month and have not sold even one weapon. No one cared. That guy gypped you.
>>
>>32150907
>OP here. Gun counter isn't fun. Although I bet you were just going to use it as a stepping stone anyway, but I just wanted to put it out there.

I knew it was going to be ass, but I needed experience or at least my foot in the door for that gunsmith position
>>
>>32150843

>"We want guys with sales experience not gun experience!"

So, you guys want people that know nothing about guns but are charismatic rather than people knowledgeable with the damn things you're selling?
>>
>>32150943
he was a cunt anyway
they kept dicking me around for weeks just to get an interview
>>
>>32150955
that's exactly what he wanted, yes
he wants exactly the kind of pushy know nothing shithead we all hate
>>
>>32150725
I've never had an issue with them, even had them send some stuff out for gunsmithing. They did a good job.
>>
>>32150955
Sounds like Academy.
>>
File: 1479706141118.jpg (15KB, 317x275px) Image search: [Google]
1479706141118.jpg
15KB, 317x275px
>>32150955
>So, you guys want people that know nothing about guns but are charismatic rather than people knowledgeable with the damn things you're selling?

lol. This is how America, especially corporate America works these days.

The only thing that makes you successful now is social skills or an inhuman amount of hardwork. I see no successful people who do not possess the former or commit to latter.

The companies don't care if you are knowledgeable about the job, they care if you're a charismatic guy who can get into any girl's pussy and make friends with any guy. Why? Fuck if I know. Social darwinism though man.
>>
>>32151020
>The companies don't care if you are knowledgeable about the job, they care if you're a charismatic guy who can get into any girl's pussy and make friends with any guy. Why? Fuck if I know. Social darwinism though man.

because smart people don't need to be told what they're doing
they want you to sell to an idiot
a good salesman can sell a pile of shit to a moron
a knowledgable salesman cannot
>>
>>32150963

I mean, I can kind of understand it. But if you're going to make that kind of requirement then you should make another requirement that shows you know atleast a little bit about firearms.

Unless you've been really doing your homework, nobody's going to know everything there is about firearms at a young(er) age and there'll be times when customers may have to correct even you. But having this kind of environment makes it so that customers basically have to do all the homework themselves on what they want rather than expect to be helped into a purchase.
>>
>>32151044
see>>32151035

if you do your homework, they have no reason to help you
if you're an idiot, you'll be inundated by knowledge if they tell you, but you're easily swayed into a purchase

Now on the flip side
If you are a salesman with a lot of knowledge, you'll want more money
>>
I used to work both on the gun counter and as a supervisor. My advice? Start looking for another job. Any job. Gander is such a shit company, and they are going through a big shift in corporate climate right now.
>>
>>32151130
EXPLAIN YOURSELF RIGHT NOW. GREENTEXT NOW
>>
>>32151071

But if you have more knowledge, then you can more properly up-sell products. A guy with only vague knowledge about firearms wouldn't be able to tell the customer differences between say a Daniel Defense and Colt and Ruger and other Ar-15 manufacturers.

A guy who knows his shit would be able to get a guy who would normally buy some like a Spikes because he heard it was cheap to buy a Colt or a Daniel Defense that's atleast a grand because of x y and z. So while they'd certainly have to be paid more, they'd make it up for it easily.

That's what's wrong with corporate America, they're so shortsighted and greedy they can't see that what helps people more are people actually happy with their jobs that can interact further with customers. I suppose they just like that high-turnover rate with low-paid idiots that speak really well but don't know shit.
>>
>>32151157
>Daniel Defense and Colt and Ruger and other Ar-15 manufacturers.

doesn't matter
they just want you to sell the most expensive fanciest sounding thing the customer will buy
>>
>>32151157
>differences between say a Daniel Defense and Colt and Ruger and other Ar-15 manufacturers

Would would you know that? What if you don't know about those companies?
>>
>>32151153
Not much to say
>be humble supervisor, two months into position with no training
>district manager comes in, shits on my departments
>asks why x and y aren't done
>tell him I'm the only one on staff for either department and managers won't let me take firearms guys to help
>never asks my name, never says anything to me after that
>store manager threatens to write me up, never does

Just one little story. Store managers throw everyone below them under the bus if possible.
>>
>>32151208
My store manager is super serious, /fit/, and seems like a ticking timebomb. I quit because he scared me and I always fucked up when he was nearby.
>>
>>32151244
Store managers are definitely under a lot of stress for stupid shit like conversion, so they are all ticking timebombs. At least it wasn't a woman :^)
>>
>tfw the guy in this video is basically describing me except the gun pointed at the ceiling part and saying racking the slide scares someone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a6aIosjsGI
>>
>>32151289
Yeah but it felt like he was going to beat me up. He nearly lost his shit when I was on his computer doing training.
>>
>>32150725
Could be worse you could work at Dick's.

It's pretty shit.
>>
>>32151336
>saying it shit without elaborating on it and allowing us to talk to you about it

It's called conversation anon
>>
>>32151326
All you had to do was suffer through one beating and you could be living off that sweet corporate hush money, anon
>>
>>32151353
Sorry I'm an autist.

No discount on ammo or guns, only fudd guns in store.

Head manager is a condescending douche who constantly makes comments to assert that he's better than me.

Told to stop mentioning Vortex's warranty to customers looking at scopes because "that only covers defects" So I'm told to lie and shill Dick's protection plan.

Get chewed out for not shilling Dick's credit card.

Luckily, most of my coworkers are pretty relaxed people.

A whole lot of fudds, not all bad but a majority of them are absolute retards.

Ask If I can buy 9mm for my rifle or if it's against store policy, because legally I can be sold pistol ammo if it's for a rifle.

Head manager tells me that I'm wrong and I shouldn't be in possession of that stuff.
That it's illegal for me to posses pistol ammo for my carbines because I'm 18. Says "be careful where you take those things"

And all of that was said to me in the most condescending tone.

I'm near a town in Southeast PA that is full of trash so the occasional "need fotay smith rounds"
"Can I axe you a question? You carry dem .380 banana clips?" And that was asked by a white guy.
>>
>>32151643

>Work in a place
>no discount

Fucking dropped man
>>
>>32151643
>get in trouble for not shilling shitty company gimmicks
Ayy, just like Gander
>>
they price matched, guy kept telling me they price matched, kept telling me their guns sucked and go somewhere else, went back a few weeks later got a s&w model 60 for $880 or some shit, this was 2 years ago but its like $700 on cabelas or bass pro website. mad. i really wanted that gun and didnt give a fuck tho.

seriously tho the first guy i was with i looked at guns for like 1.5 hours and he just kept telling me they had shit selection and shit prices then some other dude walked up and was like AY PAL YA LIKE THEM COWBOY GUNS WE GOT THIS HERE COACH GUN FOR $350 and i bought it on the spot and left.
>>
>>32151729
They give us a discount on anything except for guns and ammo. It's beyond retarded.
>>
>>32150725
yes
>>
>>32151643
Sounds like you're from Norristown or somewhere else outside of Philly.
>>
>>32151643
Get the law in print. Show it to him and ask again.

Then sue them for violating your rights when he says no!
>>
>>32150976
I work the gun bar at a rare Academy where 5 of the 8 "fishing" department employees are either veterans or firearms enthusiasts. Our department survives the post-holiday layoffs because we have so many positive reviews on the customer survey. The Team Lead is a megalomaniac jackass who is retired army airborne but they keep him because shit gets done. I spent two hours mounting and bore sighting scopes for a guy who bought 4 optics for 2 already owned rifles and 2 new ones and I caught shit because I wasn't "making sales" on a Monday evening. They don't want return customers because they think those don't exist even though every LGS in our area shut down in the last two years. Go figure. I get two credit apps a week though so I at least get two consecutive days off most weeks.
>>
>>32150955
Yes.
>>
Holy fuck being a wage cuck must suck ass. I'm self employed small biz owner, money could be better but I get days off to go to the range whenever
>>
File: image.png (514KB, 520x678px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
514KB, 520x678px
>>32150843
Please tell me this isn't real.
>>
Not OP but I work at the gunsmith counter. Store manager's bonus is dictated in credit sales and summit sales, so guess what our performance is based on? Didn't sell a card for a month and now I might be perma-benched in customer service until January 1st, When they lay people off or give 7 hours a week to work. We'll see if I stay.

Worst part is everyone is super chill there. Even a /k/ommando works at the gun counter. (You know who you are). I really hate having to be a sales shark, but that's just how things work in retail, you suck it up or get out.

Also sucks that I don't know shit about a majority of Fudd guns or ARs. Just quality differences. But generally it's easy to bullshit, and if it gets a sale they don't care.
>>
>>32150725
They are one of the only companies near me that sell .22 for a reasonable price still. $25 for federal 525 bulk packs $20 for their target grade bulk packs. $30 for 300 packs of mini-mags.

Still your gun counter employees will talk out of their ass.
>there is no point to match grade ammo if you aren't shooting in matches
Idiots. Also, had one of your employees tell me the accutrigger on the marlin xt isn't a real one even though marlin buys them from savage and act like I was stupid because the controls on the 522 were the verse of what I was used to on other guns even though it was my first time holding one. That last one was the same one who told me there was no point to match grade ammo out of competition and claimed that a gun tearing brass wasn't a cycling problem.
>>
>>32153620
What shithole Academy do you work at? Everyone at mine is pretty chill.
>>
>>32151643
>Told to stop mentioning Vortex's warranty to customers looking at scopes because "that only covers defects" So I'm told to lie and shill Dick's protection plan.
>
>Get chewed out for not shilling Dick's credit card.

LOL We have to do that too at Gander Mountain
>>
>>32150725
No but every gander employee i've dealt with has been an ass. Did you really need to see my ccw permit so I could look at holsters? wtf man. a 4 year old could buy that shit. I should have bitched to the management.
>>
>>32154707
OP here. I'm sorry anon, I'm super nice to everyone if it makes you feel better, and I actively offer to let people fit their own guns or the guns we have at the counter into any holster they can find.
>>
>>32151643
I worked at dicks for a while. Couldn't sell .22 lr to under 21 kiddos. Couldn't sell airshit to under 18 either.
>>
>>32154716
>Couldn't sell airshit to under 18 either.

Yeah that bothered me too.
>>
>>32150843
Finish your gunsmith certificate, you sorry ass spergling. Maybe you won't get turned down like the autist you are once you check the boxes.
>>
>>32150881
You moron, all you have to say at big box outdoor stores is "I worked on a Ford dealership lot for 8 years" and they're gonna hire you.
>>
>>32150898
>if you can't hit something in 6 rounds when SHTF you shouldn't have a gun
How is this fudd? If you can't hit jack shit you're probably gonna shoot your dog by accident before the ATF even show up
>>
>>32154738
Look at this Chad bully here everyone Thinks he's so cool
>>
>>32154712
You're one of the good guys.

>>32150881
Should have applied to cabela's. They only wanted retail experience to work the gun counter. Gun knowledge was "on the job training"
>>
Big box retailing sucks period. I used to work at a gander, was the only person who knew anything about modern stuff, and could actually sell.
>>
>>32150725
Yes.

I hate Gander Mountain. I hate their "sale prices" being higher than everyone else's regular prices. I hate the fucking Gander Academy and their 8 fucking security checks and hovering range officers. Gander Mountain sucks.

The ONLY good thing about Gander is that in my area there's a Cabela's like 6 miles away, and that means that all the dipshits go to Gander.
>>
>>32154745
I got the job Gander by walking into the store and talking to one of the managers for like an hour, then talking to the head manager, then asking for an interview in person after I filled out the online app, then I bullshitted through two interviews saying how well I can multitask.

>>32154768
Then you're a socially skilled guy who knows a whole bunch. All I know is >>32150943
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.