[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AR-18

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Sterling_AR-18_Folded.jpg (22KB, 758x385px) Image search: [Google]
Sterling_AR-18_Folded.jpg
22KB, 758x385px
Will these ever come back? It's American, and it's sexy, plus dat folding stock. I'll admit i'm kinda a hipster so i would rather have one than a AR-15. Any of you guys know if they are now more expensive than a decent AR? or have they gone to the collecter's side?
>>
>>32141583
Sadly, they probably won't come back. Tooling was destroyed and you'd have to reverse engineer one.

And yea, they're really fucking expensive. I paid $1000 for a my Sterling in 2014. Howas and Costa Mesas are easily worth double.
>>
>>32141583
No they won't come back. The ACR, SCAR, and g36 basically took the gas operating system from it so I guess you could just get one of those if you want a "modern, I'm too cool for ar-15" ar-18.
>>
>>32141603
I paid the same for mine last year.

They're being slowly but surely reverse engineered by a few enthusiasts, but as far as mass production goes, the 180b version armalite put out a few years back was probably the last hurrah.

It's basically lost technology now; they have no clue how they cost effectively secured the barrel extensions to the receiver on the originals
>>
>>32141693
Gun lab is trying to start making a few replacement parts for the gun, not sure where they're at on it.

This one guy who runs AR-180S.com, Big Rix I think he's called, has a lot of interesting and extremely rare AR-18 parts and rifles. He's also working on making parts for the gun too.
>>
>>32141583
>>32141675
This guy knows what he's saying. The AR-18 lives on in the form of the SCAR/G36/XM8 and the ACR.
>>
>>32141693
The trunnion was spot welded into the receiver.
>>
>>32141603
>>32141693
$750 for my sterling and 1 original mag in january of last year, you guys got hosed
>>
>>32141583

I had one of the Armalite 180b's from a few years back. It had a polymer lower, non-folding stock, but accepted standard AR mags.

For $600, it was a nice alternative to the mini-14 or most AR-15's (which were 800 and up). The AR industry hadn't exploded yet, so building an AR wasn't quite as easy and competitive like today.

It was a good rifle until it wasn't. One range trip, it just became a jamming machine, and nothing I did would resolve it. Most local gunsmiths were perplexed, and I ended up trading it for a mini-14.

Anyway, if they re-released it again, it would need some updates to be competitive, and they would need to keep the price under control, or it would just get crushed under the ease and cost of the AR.
>>
>>32142205
No, you just got a good deal from someone stupid and/or desperate to sell.
>>
>>32141603

polymer lowers can be pirated though, only issue is finding a parts kit

do AR15 barrels work with AR18s?
>>
The AUG is also pretty similar internally.
>>
>>32143704
Yea, I had my smith turn down a 1:9 AR-15 barrel cause the original on mine was worn.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.