[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

noob reloading advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 283657.jpg (48KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
283657.jpg
48KB, 880x660px
Sup /k/ who all here reloads their own ammo?

im looking into getting into reloading some .223/5.56

i used to do alot of trap shooting and i reloaded my own shotgun shells for it, but i just bought myself a mossberg MMR .223 today for $607 after tax and will be picking it up on monday along with 500 rounds. I had some very worth while savings reloading my own shotgun shells so id imagine simmilar with .223.

although this world is a bit new to me as it does differ from shells so i was wondering what beginner advice i could get

im not really looking into compitition shooting as there isnt anything for rifles in my area so it will be mostly for the range and perhaps coyotes if i get the chance
>>
better make that ammo clean desu senpai, no forward assist = no gunk unjam
>>
>>32127074
Single stage reloading can be cheap and makes sense. Progressive presses are more and your break even point is much higher. How many rounds per year do you think you will shoot?
>>
>>32127109
good question, havent really though much about how much id shoot, id guess really anywhere from 1000 to as much as 3-4000
>>
>>32127156
Then your break even point would be about 4500 rounds for a decent progressive and everything you need. So if your shooting that much each year, then it makes sense to get the progressive.
>>
File: IMG_2035.jpg (88KB, 1000x396px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2035.jpg
88KB, 1000x396px
>>32127074
An anon told me last night in another thread that you want to get as many books as you can that way you have more info and can cross reference.

Get as many books, and read them. Maybe start with Lyman's 50th.

Also, don't be in a hurry, you will fuck stuff up that way.
>>
>>32127190
what is the differences between the single stage and the progressive?

just guessing here but it the progressive system the one that is more similar to the round wheel shotshell reloading presses?
>>
>>32127225
Yes. Each pull performs four different actions. A single stage means lots of die changing and it's slow. I can do up to about 800 rounds/hour on my Dillon 650
>>
>>32127270
ok thanks, i have a couple friends of friends who im like 90% sure have some rifle reloading setups and might be able to sell me a used one for a good price but i gotta ask before i make any assumptions

so i agree with
>>32127219
that i need to get me some books, i have a few for shells but i just gotta ask after not finding much online

would any of my red/green/blue dot work well with say 56gr .223. i saw some people who reloaded 14 grain of blue in 55gr and got like 2800 ft/s but i dont really know how that stands against bought ammo at (i think) 3100ft/s. and if this powder would/wouldnt work is there any online tables that could give me a ballpark to look in
>>
>>32127392
correction, i just lloked and im actually out of blue dot and very low on greendot, like kess than a lb,. tho i do still have a 8lb of red dot. but again couldnt find much online of anyone using red dot for .223
>>
this is relevant to my interests.

Want to start reloading .38 special, but have never reloaded ammo before. Have a few people who can show me the ropes, in addition to Youtube tutorials.

I also shoot a lot of 9x19 and .223, but can get that pretty cheap in bulk, so I'm not as worried about reloading for them.

Any suggestions for a starter kit, or piece parts for a beginner? I typically hear that I should spend $300-600 on my initial investment, but this kit came up in a post I was reading. I like the price point, but since it is so much cheaper it makes me wary that I might be getting crap (even though I know the brand is decent) or it might be missing key components http://www.brownells.com/reloading/reloading-kits/lee-breech-lock-challenger-kit-prod54175.aspx
>>
>>32129356
>Any suggestions for a starter kit,
http://brianenos.com/dillon/

>I also shoot a lot of 9x19 and .223, but can get that pretty cheap in bulk,
and you can reload for half that cost. Same budget, shoot twice as much.
>>
Cali resident here.
With the new laws requiring background checks on ammo purchases that just passed, would it make more sense to get into reloading now? I'm assuming my savings would be much higher due to the inevitable high increase in ammo prices.

Also what's a good set up to start reloading when space is very limited
>>
>>32129479
Over a grand for a "starter" kit? That's about double what I've seen everywhere else. What makes these so special when compared to Lee/Lyman/RCBS/Hornady?
>>
>>32129630
Because it's not just the press. It's everything you need to reload. Those other kits you're seeing don't have a tumbler, scale, calipers, book, dies, gauges, tools. Those enos packages are everything you need to go from no reloading to reloading in one purchase.

When you price out all the stuff you need, the enos packages are a really good deal and it's a Dillon. Dillon has the best no questions asked warranty. If you need something, you call, they send it, no charge.
>>
>>32129479
Anyone who has an A+ with the BBB is immediately on my shit list since you have to buy that rating.
>>
>>32131946
Enos was not only one of the top competitive shooters back in the 1980s, he was a guy who helped put action shooting on the map in the U.S. I don't know of any competitive shooter, in the circles I shoot in, who has bitched about Enos, his products, or his policies. In fact, on many reloading component sites, if you use the code "benos" you'll get a discount.
>>
>>32131946
Also, in the age of crowdsourced reviews, is the BBB even relevant?
>>
>>32131968
I don't actually know about their quality. I just don't like the BBB model.

>>32131978
It's just there to impress people so that people feel better about buying stuff.
>>
>>32132010
I don't really care about the BBB model. I've never checked a company's rating nor does it matter to me. There are more than enough review sites out there (not like Yelp is any better than the BBB).

Brian Enos is very good about sponsoring shooting matches and local shooting leagues. He's been generous over the years.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.