[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What form of martial arts does /k/ recommend? World events have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 9

File: 1453444489245.jpg (2MB, 2234x1498px) Image search: [Google]
1453444489245.jpg
2MB, 2234x1498px
What form of martial arts does /k/ recommend? World events have been steadily getting sketchier and I want to make sure I can hold my own before SHTF.
>>
The cardio and run the fuck away kind.

The person who wins a brawl is the guy who's friends show up first.
>>
>>32125774
Shoot probably need to get some New Balances then
>>
Something like judo I guess, fancy kicks and punchs and elbow strikes are nice but the old slam will fuck up a dude pretty good and it's hard to fight when you're on your back
>>
Wrestling, bjj, boxing or kickboxing I guess
>>
>>32126183
kickboxing is the definitive answer

Anything you can do to keep your attacker at as much distance as you can
>>
Definitely some type of wrestling or whatever. When you're on the ground, it can be hard to run away
>>
>>32126140
I do judo and although some throws are fine, most require your opponent to be in a judo suit thing
>>
>>32125746
Get in shape, learn to box, and use guns. If you know how to box and are in shape you can beat up most people.

The rest you can shoot.
>>
>>32126199
Judo would be good for ground though. There are holds designed for breaking arms and shit
>>
>>32125746

Do some grappling but for the love of god don't do any striking, you'll end up retarded before SHTF and you don't wanna be a retard if the world is ending
>>
>>32125746
Dux Ryu is the best.
>>
>>32125746
Any art that features real sparring. With that in mind, I highly recommend finding a reputable BJJ school near you.

If you train no-gi, you'll do standup and get a good balance of wrestling and jiu-jitsu.

Training with the gi is good to somewhat simulate what it's like grappling against someone with a jacket or clothing, and if you do stand-up in the gi, you'll get a chance to learn some judo concepts.

But the most important thing is that whatever you study, make sure it's a sparring art. Without sparring, it's a bit like coming up with a hypothesis and never testing it.
>>
>>32125746
It may sound meme-y, but a lot of HEMA styles are very good for self-defence
Obviously I'm not suggesting using a longsword to keep villains at bay, I'm talking about the unarmed/dagger/baton stuff that some masters taught.
Fiore's abrazare and daga sections are jam packed with lovely techniques to bind, break, and dislocate the fuck out of an attacked.

Also, learn a striking art, striking works, but punching faces is overrated, you'll break your hand.
>>
>>32125746
As someone who practice Martial Art at a reasonably high level :
- Cardio training
- Get better at shooting
Real fights are very rarely 1 vs 1, or against someone of your size. Intensive training rarely matter if the other guy weight 10+ kilos more than you and has 3 pals coming your way. Martial Artist / Boxer defeating a group of thugs is extremely rare in real life, unlike what movies show.

So run the fuck out of here, or get a gun to make the fight as one sided as possible in your favor.

If you REALLY want to defend yourself with hand-to-hand, boxing is your best bet :
- kicks are hazardous in everyday clothing or without warming up, and require much more space than people believe
- arm lock and other Judo/Aikido shit is insanely hard when the guy really fight back
- "ground work" like in Grappling/MMA is suicidal because it make you the easiest target ever for your victim's pals
EMA or other weapon-based martial art can be a bit useful, not to carry a fucking katana around, but just to have better handling at whatever improvised weapon you could get in a brawl.
>>
Everytime i see this question on other boards i never see anyone post the best shit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defendu

Legit killing people with magazines
>>
>>32126233
Evidently you haven't been doing it long. Damn near every throw has a no gi variant with only a few exceptions.
>>
I know nothing, but Systema or maybe Krav Maga?

https://youtu.be/OY_58aCNrhw
>>
>>32126592
judo works pretty well. and fighting multiple people in general is not a good idea
>>
zoo sit sue

I just wanna see a Worldstar video where some nigga gets omoplata'd
>>
>>32127377
Systema is bullshit made up by russian scam artists. The actual Russian military trains sambo, not magic.
>>
>>32125746
Kickboxing

Focus on cardio because as long as you can throw a punch and have the puff to run away you'll win every time
>>
>>32125746
krav maga and kickboxing are the way to go

but the best martial art is still shooting the fucker
>>
>>32129304
>>32129317
i also recommend some kind of grappling to go with this. its always good to be well rounded
>>
>>32129249

Sambo and/or Rukopashnii Boi, which is just Shotokan/Tang Soo Do with a bit of Tae Kwon Do and kickboxing mixed in.
>>
>>32125746
This and nothing esle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXNs9ARsNFU
>>
>>32129350
savate is a legit form of kickboxing. good luck finding it anywhere outside of france tho
>>
>>32129368
I bet you can find some one to teach you

Boxing is pretty good too
>>
>>32129386
boxing is definitely good
>>
>>32129331
yeah, grappling is good to know as well, although things are really going downhill (pun intended) if you take it to the ground. Better to stay on your feet, unless you really outweigh the guy or can tell you have a lot more experience.

I took a three month rotation of Haganah that taught a mix of krav maga, (kick)boxing, grappling, and knife fighting. Haganah is what Isreal's special forces are taught, it's kind of like controlled street fighting. It was a lot of fun.

My instructor was a blackbelt in Tang Soo Do (I forget what degree, at least six), and also did kickboxing, brazilian jiu jitsu, and haganah. Dude was a force of nature until he died of cancer.
>>
>>32129493
grappling is especially good defensively (defending take downs, pushing people away, getting up from the ground)
>>
>>32129575
yeah, I'm thinking if there's more than one dude though, if you go to the ground you're fucked
>>
File: IMG_3169.jpg (89KB, 587x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3169.jpg
89KB, 587x720px
>Martial artist fag here

Boxing with out gloves breaks your hand. Also brain damage.

Long powerfull kicks sucks in pants, when you get old and need to be warmed up.

>What is super lethal, quickly?
Throws
Chokes
And joint locks can fuck you up.

Your main objective is to use your weapon (could be melee). And run away. If possable disarm (super hard) or kill someone for there weapon.

Do judo/bjj op.
>>
>>32129596
Your fucked anyway??

Any martial art will get you killed against multiable armed people.

Best bet is to kill someone and take there weapon. And run. Or run in the first place.
>>
>>32129596
fighting more than one person at all is a bad situation and running is your best option
>>
>>32129682
>Boxing with out gloves breaks your hand

Did you wake up retarded or have you always been retarded? Boxing existed for literally thousands of years as a sport and the gloves are a new addition.
>>
>>32129741
Gloves have been around for ever.
>>
GUN KATA
>>
>>32129741
breaking your hands in a fight is a real issue. it happens in boxing and mma all the time. and thats with gloves
>>
>>32125746
Firearms are infinitely superior to unarmed martial arts. An equal amount of practice with each discipline will overwhelmingly advantage the firearm user.
>>
>>32129988
you cant pull a gun in every scenario. also knowing martial arts can help you get to a position to pull a gun. also guns dont keep you fit
>>
File: IMG_4046.jpg (175KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4046.jpg
175KB, 736x736px
>>32129988
>Martial arts helps with fitness A.K.A running away.

After that close range disarming, silent killing (chokes, throws, joint locks).
Also fighting people you care about. ( with out hurting them). In family or community.

It isn't about efficiently killing someone.
Its pulling something out of your ass to have a upper hand (rare chance). And or controling someone, and controlling your self.
>>
>>32125746
Get a level two kevlar vest (with stab one).

And ceramic plates.
>>
>>32125746
Assassination techniques, the basics (chapter 1: 'killing is easy if you can kill your conscience for a few seconds' and chapter 2: 'anything can be used as a weapon' and chapter 3: 'you only have to be quiet if there are people who can hear you') these chapters are made up, there is no book to my knowledge. It's all self taught and researched.
Like all martial arts this is for self defence purposes only, if you are cornered by a gang you can easily diffuse the situation with a little deception and sociopathic actions.
3mm finger nails are your best friends and the 1 weapon that will likely never be taken from you. Piercing someone's throat is easy with 2 fingers if you practice on slabs of raw pork

Use shock to escape or scare away, NEVER attempt to fight against a gang unless you are capable of killing them all very easily and quickly since any slight advantage they have will snowball every second they outnumber you. Do your best to make any encounter a 1v1 or as advantageous as you can reasonably make it and if the fight isn't reasonable then play along and don't play fair, if you notice anger then run IMMEDIATELY. An angry gang means you're dead and they won't play fair either at this point.

Out of assassination techniques that's all you need, next learn guns. After that you are now an unstoppable killing machine to anyone who lets emotion cloud their judgement.

From their it's all diplomacy
>>
>>32130857
>piercing someone's throat with two fingers

This is your brain on anime.
>>
How about knife arts? I assume there's more to knife fighting than just stabbity stab. Where do I learn combat techniques for those?
>>
>>32125746
Do whatever you want bitch, I got a gun. I'll shoot you.
>>
>>32130857
This better be pasta.

>>32131652
I mean, maybe if the guy had thick, sharpened 20mm fingernails, it'd be doable.
>>
>>32130857
*tips kabuto*
>>
>>32125746
Unrelated but source on that pic OP?
>>
>>32132023
>I assume there's more to knife fighting than just stabbity stab

actually, no, there isnt
>>
what about muay thai?
>>
>>32125746
Bagua
>>
File: bartitsu-makes-its-debut-1[1].jpg (103KB, 700x313px) Image search: [Google]
bartitsu-makes-its-debut-1[1].jpg
103KB, 700x313px
Bartitsu.
>>
Cardio, grappling/wrestling, and ringen
>>
>>32129914
you need to be taped in order to not break your hands or wrists, if you tape you can fight without gloves
>>
Can anyone here speak to the effectiveness of eye gouging vs strangling? To me it would seem that attacking the eyes would be extremely effective, especially in the real world where your opponent could potentially draw a weapon that would put you at a massive disadvantage.
>>
>>32132023
No one wins in a knife fight
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 260x237px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 260x237px
>>32125746
Traditional Japanese Ju-Jitsu is good. Some really fucking nasty, grisly techniques in there. As in like, fucking ireperable damage that will cripple your opponent often before they've even hit the ground kind of shit.
>>
>>32132222
its very good

>>32133622
tape certainly helps but even then people still break their hands, but at the same time some people fight bare-knuckle with no problems
>>
>>32134716
the main problem with japanese ju jutsu is that they tend to never spar
>>
>>32135342
I'd say it depends on experience and technique.
I've been in quite a few street fights (because I'm an asshole and like to talk shit when I'm drunk) and have never broken bones. BUT, I also train more for bare knuckle/MMA-style boxing, as opposed to regular boxing.
>>
>>32135404
>I'd say it depends on experience and technique
i would add there are probably some genetic factors. i just wanted to point out that breaking ones hands is a real possibility in a fight
>>
>>32125746
>>32129682
>>32129914
>>32133622
>>32135342
>>32135485
>People who don't box and don't know how to punch
Oh, what a surprise. McDojo queers out in abundance today.
Wrist and thumb injuries are more common and likely than hand injuries, gloves, wraps, or not. If someone injures themselves punching, it's because 9/10 times they don't know how to punch, which is basically 95% of people anyways.

Spend more time training and sparring, get a good coach, and spend less time pretending to be a gymkata expert or practicing "martial arts" bullshit like forms and meditation.
>>
>>32135663
hey dumbass, hitting a hard surface with your hand can lead to something getting broken
>>
>>32135696
>Huurrr omg i punched a wall! OMH muh handdd DURRRR!!
Again, less time sucking off your capoeira instructor and more time hitting the heavy, working mits, sparring, and focusing on not punching someone straight in the skull.
You'll figure it out, champ.

Or not, I could really give a shit if you spend time wearing pyjamas and chasing a colored belt instead of actually learning to fight.
>>
>>32135663
Mike Tyson broke his hand punching someone.

Probably 9/10 punches that you see in boxing would lead to a broken hand.

Disagree? Start bare-knuckle boxing the same way that you do it with your sock-em bopper 16oz gloves.
>>
>>32135729
holy shit, sperg out more why dont you. i never even said breaking your hands was guaranteed i said it was a risk and if you think it isnt than youre a fucking retard
>>
>>32126592
Thank you for giving people real info. I did alot of MMA, Sparring, kick boxing and wrestling growing up.
Got into an argument with this kid I met at a bar because he's nationally ranked in BJJ. He tried telling me (and he managed to convince alot of people), how he could pretty much fuck anyone shit up anywhere.
I explained to him that if we got into a fight right now in this bar, the only outcome would be him getting glassed and at least one of my friends somewhere in here coming to stomp his face out.
He then complained about unfairness. Faggot.
>>
>>32135770
>Mike Tyson broke his hand punching someone.
Yeah, and the difference is that Tyson injured his hand punching with the force of a professional boxer with notorious skill and hitting power and nothing supporting his hand.
You breaking your hand because you limp wristed it punching dry wall in a fit isn't the same, pumpkin.
>Probably 9/10 punches that you see in boxing would lead to a broken hand.
Watch out, guys, dedicated fight expert here talking on /k/. Has been in a thousand street fights and kicked many asses.
Knows what he's talking about.
>>
>>32135791
Also I'll say this. If you practice any grappling, Try to focus on defensive measures. Learn how to get back onto your feet within seconds if you fall to the ground. It doesn't matter if you look silly, just get up and away any way possible.
>>
>>32135807
>Watch out, guys, dedicated fight expert here talking on /k/. Has been in a thousand street fights and kicked many asses.
Knows what he's talking about.
weird, kinda sounds like you
>>
>>32135807
Breaking your wrist or hand etc. Is extremely easy, even if you know how to punch. That's what training is for, and there is no guarantee even then.
The human head has been built to withstand very heavy blows. Which include fists, and fists cannot in most situations smash someones face in.
>>
just dont punch someone in the face with your fist, use the palm of your hand
>>
>>32135835
>Breaking your wrist or hand etc. Is extremely easy, even if you know how to punch.
Clearly being stated by someone who doesn't know how to punch.
>The human head has been built to withstand very heavy blows.
Clearly, that's why so many occupations, hobbies, sports, etc. require helmets or other protective gear and why concussions and brain trauma are so rare.
>Pro-tip: Do not punch people in the forehead/skull
>>
File: flying omoplata.gif (2MB, 356x268px) Image search: [Google]
flying omoplata.gif
2MB, 356x268px
I'd recommend picking up both a striking and a grappling art, but also competing regularly in something along the lines of IPSC or IDPA and train to be as fit as possible.

Make sure wherever you go that they do a lot of sparring. That doesn't mean the choreographed scenes that they call "sparring" in things like krav maga, it means fighting against people who are actively trying to beat you. Approach any new club with a massive grain of salt, because the vast majority of martial arts groups are complete shit.

Good striking arts:
>Muay thai
>Kickboxing
>Boxing
>Kyokushin
>Sanda

Good grappling arts:
>Judo
>BJJ
>Wrestling
>Sambo

Generally grapplers tend to beat strikers, but people who cross-train tend to beat both.

>>32135812
This is important for strikers as well. As much as you might think you have "anti-grappling measures", the fact is that if you fight a grappler without grappling experience yourself, you're probably going to get thrown.
As a striker you really should at the very least know basic things like how to use the guard and do a technical stand-up.

>>32135835
Interestingly enough, every style of bare-knuckle boxing on the planet puts a lot of emphasis on body shots. Why? Because punching people in the head fucks up your hands. In kyokushin they went as far as completely banning head punches, because too many people were permanently wrecking their hands and they didn't want to use gloves.
>>
>>32135922
>In kyokushin they went as far as completely banning head punches
No.
They banned it for the same reason they banned elbows, same reason boxers use gloves, same reason IKF regulates pads, etc. They don't use gloves or pads and otherwise you would see guys leaving each round split and bleeding all over the place like stuck pigs.

Not to mention a lot of leagues used to/still do call TKO the first opponent that bleeds.
>>
File: ngbbs494b1a6176c62.gif (14KB, 266x400px) Image search: [Google]
ngbbs494b1a6176c62.gif
14KB, 266x400px
>>32135891
I've been in the ring faggot. I grew up in a rough part of my city and fighting was an almost daily occurrence.
I did wrestling in highschool. MMA right after.
If anyone here doesn't know what they are talking about it's you.
pic is your argument
>>
File: Never_back_down.jpg (35KB, 291x426px) Image search: [Google]
Never_back_down.jpg
35KB, 291x426px
>>32136004
>I've been in the ring faggot. I grew up in a rough part of my city and fighting was an almost daily occurrence.
OMG, when is the movie about your life as a tough kid from the ghetto making it coming out?
>>
>>32136075
They made them all in the 80's. Where's the one about the nerdy cunt who gives people shit advice because "Herp Derp" Master fighter.
>>
>>32126233
>white belt detected
Why do you think people will be impressed when you just talk out of your ass?
>>
>>32136160
>karate kid spinoff where Mr. Miyagi is an extreme mall ninja who used to run a mcdojo and gives Daniel terrible advice throughout the whole movie causing him to fail spectacularly in multiple tournaments
I'd watch it.
>>
>>32129682
>kill someone for there weapon
now we are slipping into fantasy land
>>
What does /o/ think about Defendu or MAC/MCMAP? Are they genuinely useful for self defense and unarmed combat or are they memes like Krav Maga or JKD?
>>
>>32135922
wtf kind of stupid shit is that?
>>
>>32133648
Eye gouging is a very bad idea most of the time. 9/10 times it'll be too difficult to get into a position where you can do it. You should be focusing elsewhere to immobilize your opponent, unless it's last-ditch and there's a 100% chance that it'll give you the upper hand.
As for strangling, NEVER use your hands for strangling. It wastes energy and takes far too long. Chokeholds are far more effective. They take less energy, and are less time-consuming.
There are mainly two different types, blood chokes (cutting off blood flow to the brain via constricting the major blood pathways in the neck) and air chokes (cutting off air flow to the lungs via constricting the wind pipe).
Both are highly effective, though blood chokes are quicker to cause an opponent to pass out.
>>
>>32126592
>As someone who practice Martial Art at a reasonably high level

No, you don't.

>- kicks are hazardous in everyday clothing or without warming up, and require much more space than people believe

Too presumptuous or plain wrong. Kicks are perfectly viable in shorts, tracksuit bottoms, or joggers, which plenty of people wear on the daily. Necessity of warming up depends entirely on overall mobility/flexibility level. I can drop into full side splits without warming up. Leg kicks require little space and are probably the most employed kick in actual fights. A good leg kick to someone who has absolutely no idea how to shin check will basically kill their mobility.

>- arm lock and other Judo/Aikido shit is insanely hard when the guy really fight back

Not true. No one knows how to defend against arm locks, leg locks, and chokes better than Judoka and BJJ'ers, and yet people still get tapped during competitive fights, where they are most certainly fighting back. Most people wouldn't even know that an arm lock was being initiated until they were in a position of such mechanical disadvantage that they'd be unable to do anything about it.

>- "ground work" like in Grappling/MMA is suicidal because it make you the easiest target ever for your victim's pals

But there ARE circumstances which are one-on-one, so it'd be rather silly to dismiss effective methodology because it might not fit every situation. Even then, Judo (relative to other grappling art) strongly emphasizes retaining postural advantage and/or rolling/breakfalling post-throw to a strong position, rather than just collapsing in a heap on top of your opponent. I don't want to be too fantasist, but to provide a sense of perspective, it's not entirely inconceivable that a very proficient Judoka couldn't do what Big Boss does in MGS 5 CQC, which is to spring up to someone and osoto otoshi/osoto gari them onto their necks on concrete.
>>
>>32136387
chokes are the worst idea unless you know for sure your opponent is unarmed. if he has a knife you are done for in 2 seconds.
>>
>>32125746
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rfMajEy8lc
>>
>>32136503
>No one knows how to defend against arm locks, leg locks, and chokes better than Judoka and BJJ'ers, and yet people still get tapped during competitive fights, where they are most certainly fighting back.

there is a very simple explanation for this. every competition will evolve an effective fighting style for it's rules. when there are no rules tho or under different rules most of the times their ultimate fighting style turns to shit and collapse.

there are really no exceptions.
>>
>>32132023
I think the /k/ube collection had some training video of some ex BOPE dude teaching knife fighting.

Haven't used it with a knife, but it was useful when using a baton. The basic movements are the same.
>>
>>32136544
So explain how people get tapped in MMA. What could someone on the street do to prevent getting tapped that someone in MMA hasn't tried to do?
>>
>>32136565
well based on my personal experience people coming in for a grab are way too easy to knock the fuck out.

see most competitions forbid a lot of things that seem innocent. but it is for these rules that you can actually execute moves like that. can't hit you on the back of your head? really? oh well try that shit on the streets...

i'm really not a believer in competition martial arts used as self defense. best to just shoot the fucker in the face or stab him in the neck/head till he moves. and do whatever it takes to make these aforementioned happen (where actually martial arts shit can help you when you are already in a situation you shouldn't be in)
>>
>>32125746
Krav Maga with Jeet Kune Do as a close second. Both are eminently practical although Krav Maga is explicitly optimized for combat.
>>
>>32136513
This applies to literally every martial art on the planet.
You aren't going to kick and punch your way out of a knife fight.

But for what it's worth, I'd say when it comes to unarmed defense against a knife one of the best sources we can look at is medieval Europe.
Almost everybody had at least some form of blade on them, from eating knives all the way up to 12" long daggers.

Medieval unarmed combat (as shown in the treatises) is almost entirely based on grappling.
You don't want to try and trade punches with someone when the next strike could have a dagger in it. Grappling is the preferred option because you have a better chance of controlling them and stopping them from drawing or using their knife.

>>32136544
Try the Gracie Challenge. The Gracie family are happy to fight you under any rules you choose, including allowing things like eye gouges and groin kicks. They'll also film it and put it online where the whole world can see how tough you really are.

If the rules are all that's holding you back, why don't you try? You never know, maybe deep down you really are a badass after all.
>>
>>32136654
Both of them are absolute dogshit, with a few exceptions.

Try actually competing with other people rather than just LARPing. If anything, it'll be a good learning experience.
>>
>>32136654
krav is a good example for what i'm talking about.
most krva practitioners would be slaughtered in an mma competition. but place the match on lose rubble with sharp concrete and steel sticking out everywhere and you can't see shit from the smoke and not 1-1 but many on many and most of these mma boys would get slaughtered in turn. can't use your excellent legwork? oh too fucking bad.

you always have a shitload of assumptions behind these systems. each and every time even behind systems that are supposed to be "universal". the techniques always work because of the rules and the setting. put a sumo wrestler in a boxing ring and he will be a fucking sack of fat disaster just as a well built lean boxer could do little in a sumo ring against the hambeasts.
>>
inb4 gun or pipe bomb
>>
>>32136793
Why is it that under every conceivable ruleset, krabby mango faggots get utterly creamed but still claim that with just a little bit more "realism" they would be a martial legend?

Tell me more about how you'll be able to beat someone in a fight when you have literally never fought anybody in your entire life, yet he spends 5+ hours a week fighting people who are actively trying to beat him.

Yes, there are some small things that he hasn't trained to use.
But you haven't trained to use ANYTHING.
Unless you've used something in sparring over and over again, you haven't learned it.

But yeah, keep telling yourself that the only thing holding you back from winning the UFC is the gloves and mats.
>>
>>32136768
>Try the Gracie Challenge.
if i met one of those faggots and have a disagreement with them on the street let's hope someone films it.

eye gouging is not something you can do just for the heck of it anon. or i would say people who can should be locked the fuck up. but i will have no problems doing it if i'm attacked and fight for my life.

the rules are everything. otherwise some scrawny blow-job-jutsu dude would be the boxing champion cause his kung-fu is stronger. meh.
>>
>>32136834
>But yeah, keep telling yourself that the only thing holding you back from winning the UFC is the gloves and mats.
wat?

i'm not saying training a shittons is not helping you to win a contest anon where did you get that? in fact i say the opposite. training a shitton will help you win a contest you train for a lot.
>>
>>32136845
How about you show me a single video of a fight which was won by an eye poke?
And more importantly, what makes you think that you'll be able to do it when you haven't ever trained for it?

Meanwhile, there are thousands of videos of people winning fights with the fundamentals of striking and grappling.

Your fantasy is nothing more than that. You have a nice imagination, but there is absolutely no substitute for learning how to fight than by fighting. Someone trained with a competition ruleset will beat someone who hasn't trained at all, every single time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKVErVDA0JA
>>
File: Spec Ops peek.png (3MB, 2514x1950px) Image search: [Google]
Spec Ops peek.png
3MB, 2514x1950px
>>32129682

As long as you don't go doing stupid shit like throwing uppercuts barehanded, you should be fine. It's more accurate to say "Boxing poorly bare handed breaks your hand."

If you learn the correct stance and footwork, you could probably just keep someone at the edge of your range and jab them into oblivion.
>>
is krav maga a meme or what? isnt that what they teach soldiers
>>
>>32135878

WE PANCRASE NOW BOYS!

For real though, Pancrase-style palm strikes suck to be on the receiving end of. I'd still take them over being punched, but it's definitely like, a more concentrated impact.
>>
>>32137019
It's a meme of the worst kind.
It's basically just LARPing.

They do teach it to soldiers, and it's very good for that. Soldiers almost never enter into fist fights, it's so rare that it might as well not happen at all.

While krav maga's shit for actually learning how to fight, it's great at making you feel really confident and think you're hot shit.
It's the same reason they do those bayonet drills in the military. It's just a confidence-building exercise.
>>
>>32136890
>Meanwhile, there are thousands of videos of people winning fights with the fundamentals of striking and grappling.
as i have done so myself, but that's not self defense anon.

you don't understand a word i'm saying i guess.

>me: martial arts are shit for self defense
>you: hurr there are guys that trained all their life and in 30 years they mastered the art of unarmed fighting enough to have a chance in a street fight
>me: you still don't want these shitty systems to use as self defense on the street they won't work as addvertised
>you: *some more as before* and also hurr fite me... i mean hurr fite that guy!

meh. what would happen if some asshole came closer than 3 meters at night to me is i would unload some pepper rounds in his face and piss on him while he is writhing blindly in pain on the concrete. and if that fails for some reason i would fucken stab him 30 times before he manages any faggy chokehold.

but that's not self defense either, self defense is recognizing the guy gonna start some shit and void the fuck out of him while i can. in fact best organize my life so that i won't even meet a guy like that in the first place. now that is self defense you can teach to people and not be ashamed of being a retarded cucknugget.
>>
>>32137086
Obviously avoiding a fight is the best option, nobody's saying you should go out and start shit.

But if you do get into an unavoidable fight, your ninjutsu eye pokes aren't going to help you beat someone who has a solid understanding of the fundamentals.
>>
>>32137086
>I'd use my pepper spray and my tactical self-defense knife!
Lel, of course the "street fighter" faggot is noguns
>>
>>32137053
what are good actually useful fight styles or techniques then?
>>
>>32137204
See my original post:
>>32135922

Personally I've got a background in judo and I'm moving into BJJ, but it honestly just depends what's in your area and what'll keep you coming back to training.
As long as you're sparring hard and often, you'll do great.

I don't train any striking because it just doesn't interest me, but they're still fantastic ways to defend yourself if they interest you more than grappling.
>>
>>32130042
thats probably why he said one should train in both disciplines.slow down next time
>>
>>32137243
I remember watching a Judo to BJJ transition video where the guy advocated starting with one knee on the mat and one foot on the mat (so knee is pointing to the ceiling in front of you - like a half squat). I stayed on after Judo one night to do the BJJ class and their faces were so fucking funny when I basically squat jumped into triangle whilst they were still lumbering around on both knees. I swear, BJJ guys are the fucking Krav Maga of actual combat sports. The moment they meet something mildly unfamiliar to how they practice it, they panic.

Get to blue belt in BJJ and you'll absolutely crush the competition. As I'm sure you've realised, they just can't cope with the speed or brute force which competition orientated Judoka approach newaza with. My completely unsolicited advice, which you probably don't need, would be to go absolutely balls to the wall with transitions in the first 45 seconds. BJJ guys are stubborn and are used to competing against guys who will spend 3 minutes maneuvering for one hold - use the inherent necessity for fluidity of Judo against them.
>>
>>32137601
Yeah, both of them definitely have their ups and downs. I see them as basically interchangeable, but both groups have some big issues that they'd be better off without.

Honestly the main reason I'm moving is just because of injuries. I've had a chain of a few bad injuries one after another, and from what I've heard BJJ tends to have a lower injury rate.
>>
>>32125746
Anything with a blade

https://youtu.be/9BNkOTTRW9o
>>
>>32132023

Knives aren't deadly anymore and not really worth learning
>>
>>32137795
BJJ has higher rate of long term, lower intensity shoulder, knee and neck injuries (ligament/muscular damage, tears).

Judo has a higher rate of short term, higher intensity injuries to shoulders and pretty much everything else - sternum/ribcage, scapula, thoracic + lumbar spine, wrists, elbows, ankles, head, face (breaks, fractures, dislocations and sprains)
>>
Just take up some boxing and wrestling. You'll be alright
>>
>>32125746
Why not just go get into a few bar fights and figure it out, pussy?
>>
>>32138305
Especially as the most instinctive methodology is the most effective. Hold it knuckers down and thrust. Bit redundant to actually learn a knife art.
>>
>>32127297
I think you're confusing judo with aikido.
>>
>>32136565
- bite
- puncture your skin
- puncture your eyes
- rip hair
- damage groin area
- stab

Want me to go on?
>>
>>32136778
>Krav
>Shit

Autismlevelsthatshouldntexist.jpeg
>>
>>32137601
it sounds like your school is just shit at BJJ. trust me if your hot shit squat jumping retardo antics guaranteed a triangle every time, they'd all be doing it.

and I'm pretty sure they can cope with judoka tier speed and brute force all day long considering how incredibly competitive the BJJ scene is. maybe you should enter a competition to see how you do and possibly learn some humility in the bargain. and if you're right about how magical your genius insight is, hey you can clean up on medals.
>>
>>32135663
Mike tyson broke his hand in both street fights he got into.
>>
>>32125746
Gay Rape.

Remember to tell your attack to "Keep Calm and not turn this rape into a murder".
>>
For a shtf scenario wing chun/ jkd is probably your best bet. Only problem is you need a good teacher that shows you the proper technics and gives you the ability to actually spar. When optimized for lethality you can immobalize someone in a second with a combo of strikes to various pressure points. Most of the stuff is lethal/ perm damage tho (strikes to throat collaspe it making the person suffocate etc) so watch out for that. Grappling stuff is good for rings like the wwe or ufc but in reality a shtf scenario doesnt have that, there are no rules and whoever strikes first and hardest usally wins.
>>
I'm not a fighter at all, so I'm with >>32125774. Whatever allows me to get the fuck out of the situation as fast as possibly is your best bet. If you're being chased, shoot in self defense.

That said, people own guns as a last resort. I'd first learn how to dodge, weave and deflect oncoming blows. You can learn that by going to any generic boxing gym.

I wouldn't fuck with grappling in a street fight. I've seen too many youtube videos where a guy gets the upper hand by throwing a guy to the ground, he starts wailing on the guy, only to get a swing to the side of the head by the guy's buddy. Then you're fucked. IMHO, you're better off learning how to give good blows.

However, if I was to learn a martial arts for SHTF, it'd be Krav Maga. It's just such a fucking brutal fighting technique that plays well into CQC fighting to the death. If the fucking Israelis use it successfully, I'd say it's good.
>>
>>32138958
Nah, I'm not gonna do that. For the same reason someone with a PhD in Mathematics doesn't do an undergrad in 'accounting' or some retarded shit like that. I'll continue training and fighting with people who actually offer a challenge. I'm not gonna lower myself to competing against the mentally incompetent, malnourished, closet-homosexuals in BJJ.

And before you say 'hurr champion Judokas cross train in BJJ', I'll tell you that they do that because BJJ is the crossfit of martial arts, and there's lots of money to be made by endorsing it. But just like crossfit, it's a sham for people that couldn't make it in a real sport.
Thread posts: 129
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.