[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/ recommended that I watch The Siege of Jadotville so I did

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

/k/ recommended that I watch The Siege of Jadotville so I did and it was basically a shot for shot remake of the Zulu from 1964 with some bullshit political stuff that no one cares about stuck at the beginning and end.

Think about it, an inexperienced band of soldiers with an officer who pretends to know what he's doing from a loser part of the (former) British empire, Wales for Zulu and Ireland for Jadotville, is sent to some godforsaken place in Africa where they think they are going to have a very simple operation and will get to just chill out and do some work. Some dindu warlord gets triggered for one reason or another and has his dindu army attack the white kommandos at their cheap outpost that they have to quickly cover in sandbags to prepare for war. In both movies the commanding officers try to get reinforcements before the fighting really heats up but are outright rejected.

The battle sequence is so insanely similar it absolutely has to be on purpose. Dindus make one cheap rush at the anglo operators and get shot to pieces until they run away and the whiteys stop shooting. Then the dindus rush again but this time in bigger numbers and they have some really bad marksmen with stolen rifles that they clearly can't operate, in Zulu these are Martini-Henrys and in Jadotville they are k98s for some odd reason. In both cases the rush fails and the dindu marksmen have almost zero effect other than annoyance. In both movies a lot of attention is put on the men taking around ammo to people actively shooting.

Then, in both movies, a series of small skirmishes continues into the night while the men get tired sitting at their posts and the two officers start to lose their cool while they try to figure out what to do. In the morning they realize they are about to face a gigantic zerg rush so they come up with a crafty plot to do a bluff retreat and shoot up the enemy. (1/2)
>>
(2/2) In Zulu they have some men at the front lines draw the enemy into a choke point where they can be torn apart by riflemen who jump up from sandbags and in Jadotville they plant dynamite in boxes of spent shell casings that they blow up on the dindus when they get close. In both cases the dindus get freaked out and run away while the whiteys take a few potshots.

In the ending of Zulu the Zulu army stands in a line around the whiteys and sings a song that apparently means they are honoring the Welsh as 'fellow braves' and then disappear, leaving the Welsh alive. In the ending of Jadotville the dindus line up in front of the Irish and send out their white PMC leader who basically salutes the Irish leader before walking away. The Irish surrender afterwards but it is made to look like they are doing so with honor as some sort of respectful agreement with the enemy and they are happily released from prison a month later. In Zulu only a handful of white people die and legions of dindus die, in Jadotville zero white people die and legions of dindus die.

Jadotville is basically an expensive ripoff of Zulu, an excellent movie with actual feeling, with FN FALs instead of Martini-Henrys and some guy who was in 50 Shades of Grey instead of Stanley Baker as the lead.
>>
>>32118872
>shot for shot remake
That doesn't mean what you think it means.
>>
>>32118960
That was hyperbole, but some parts of it are practically shot for shot in the battle.
>>
>>32118872
Actually if you read what really happened at Jadotville, you will realize that Siege of Jadotville is actually a shot by shot remake of the real events that took place.

And not only that but they even equipped them with the exact same guns in the film the individuals used during the actual event.
>>
>>32119025
Fair point, but the closeups of the dindus laying prone on a hill while painfully squinting through their rifle sights at the defenders can't be a coincidence.
>>
>>32119066
Because there is no way what so ever that a movie about a war in Africa could have a shot about a black guy aiming his rifle. Nope, HAS to be a ripoff.
>>
>>32118994

You're fucking stupid.
>>
>>32118872
i think i remember watching that back in freshman history class. i think it was zulu, my teacher kept going on about the bullhorn tactic
>>
OP you need to go outside some more and stop being so much of a faggot.
>>
>>32119126
yeah yeah, you'd have to see it to know what i mean, it was pretty distinctive and set up in Zulu and they took the exact same image in Jadotville
>>
>>32118872
>>32118876
Dude, totally. Like, in Zulu whenever they fired their weapons there was an accompanying "BANG" sound. Same thing happened in Jadotville. Coincidence, or plagiarism?
>>
>>32118872
>>32118876
So it's pretty much blackhawk down without the helicopters
>>
>>32119287
>>32119285
kek, have you actually seen them though?

I found professional reviews saying the same thing after I wrote this, it's not just me.
>>
>>32118872
>>32118876
Siege of Jadotville is a recreation of actual events done with a large measure of realism. Zulu was primarily a fictive account of an actual battle full of extensive artistic liberties.
>>
>>32119301
So, your posts were shot-for-shot remakes of pre-existing reviews?
>>
File: IMG_3516.jpg (82KB, 736x707px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3516.jpg
82KB, 736x707px
>>32119301
>>
>>32119301
post links or go
>>
>>32118872

look up what a movie homage is.

lots of movies include iconic scenes and camera shots/angles.
>>
>>32118876
>in Jadotville zero white

Did you even watch the same movie as us? One of the first people shot was the white dude in the white suit. Hell, a lot of white Dutch and Belgian mercenaries died you fucking moron.
>>
>>32119353
http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/siege-of-jadotville-review-suave-brave-acting-by-jamie-dornan-1.2797169
>>
>>32119370
okay you're right, i meant good guys
>>
>>32119416
>The contexts are, however, very different.

Wow, that review actually refuted your own argument, nice.
>>
>>32119441
Well yeah they're based on different things but it's a matter how how they are modeled.
>>
>>32119425
>>32118876
>in Zulu a handful of white people die

Now it's pretty clear your whole post was just some contrarian bullshit meant to cause arguments. A lot of the British Soldiers in the movie Zulu died you moron. A bunch of the guys in the burned out Church, the guys manning the walls, both the dudes giving out ammo, there was death all around. Hell, that's not even counting the 1500 men that died in the intro of the movie.

>>32119454
>it's a matter how how they are modeled.

They were two movies based off of similar events in history, that's it. Your point would be just as wrong as if you were to say that the movie Siege of Jadotville was a shot for shot recreation of 300 because both movies involved a small force fighting a larger force.
>>
>>32119487
like 10 british soldiers died at roarke's drift
>>
>>32118872
The officer wasn't terrible. If the french weren't so fucking incompetent at anything not involving penetrating each other with baguettes, they would have attacked from more than one angle.
>>
>>32118872
>>32120224
Also the dindus lost their command structure when colonel sanders got sniped.
>>
File: 1466642566282.png (953KB, 620x647px) Image search: [Google]
1466642566282.png
953KB, 620x647px
>>32118872
>>32118876
tl;dr it was an ok movie. Nothing outstanding.
>>
>>32120242
some one tell me why that sniper used a bren for that shot instead of the scoped rifle he already had?
>>
>>32119248
Have seen and can confirm OP is a faggot
>>
File: 2071113_150918194429_9.jpg (77KB, 500x763px) Image search: [Google]
2071113_150918194429_9.jpg
77KB, 500x763px
read this book if you want the mercs perspective
>>
>>32121261
Sounds like it could be a good read
>>
>>32121273
for one it doesn't paint the UN in and good colors and I find the author was harsh to the mercs to , in a way it attempted to balance it out
>>
>>32121306
About as much as can expected nowadays
>>
File: dogs-of-war.jpg (115KB, 500x814px) Image search: [Google]
dogs-of-war.jpg
115KB, 500x814px
>>32121261
Speaking of books about African mercs

This is a good, fun book. I'd recommend it to any /k/ommando wanting something to leaf through on a rainy day.
>>
>>32118872

Wait wait

You're trying to tell me that two films about two events which actually occurred, and occurred under relatively similar circumstances, are similarly depicted in film?

Really makes you think.
>>
Neither of the officers at Rourkes Drift were Welsh.
>>
>>32121147
That made no sense so me, only explanation I could come up with was that maybe using a machine gun would look more like an accident if the UN decided to investigate it like a war crime or some shit.
>>
>>32121147
Carlos hathcock mentioned in his book that the first shot from a large caliber machine gun always has the same point of impact.

He said it after shooting a kid carrying weapons from 2.5km away with a 50BMG.
>>
>>32118872
So your fucking point is that two actual conflicts in Africa had similarities? That Jadotville was a irl remake of the Zulu wars??

What are you trying to say? It's pretty fucking stupid to go on like this about a movie that is pretty much completely based in reality.

It's like saying that black hawk down must've just copied it's story progression from some other modern war movie..

Consider suicide
>>
>>32122344
>>32122187
>>32121147
It probably has something to due with machine guns having far heavier barrels than standard rifles do. Also considering that he'd been firing shot after shot through his regular rifle, the barrel was probably already quite warm and would have severely reduced his accuracy at that kind of range.
>>
>>32119425
>>32119370
But the Mercenaries were good guys.
>Katanga trying to be free from the shithole that is the DRC
>UN tyrants try to smosh it together and wipe the young nation off the map
>succeed and now the Congo is a third world shithole.
>>
File: 1440782789569.png (651KB, 500x684px) Image search: [Google]
1440782789569.png
651KB, 500x684px
>>32121330
>mfw the mercenary section of Africa Addio
>>
>>32119501
Yeah, he's probably referring to the events that took place either before or after Roarke's drift
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.