[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Composite body armor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

Why don't people combined ceramic and steel plates to make a sturdy composite armor like a smaller version of the Chobham armor?

Pic not really related.
>>
Because people enjoy having knees and backs
>>
>>32115282
that's pretty much every vest rated against rifles anon
why can't you use google?
>>
>>32115289
Spalling protection doesn't really count. A part from a couple few, I've only seen either pure ceramics or pure (pardon the spall protection) steel armor.
>>
>>32115282
Because your idea of what Chobham armor consists of is at least 20 years out of date.
>>
because people don't run on diesel
>>
Until we can produce carbon nano-tube fabric outside of a factory for less than 5 grand for a square cm, full body protection is a pipe dream.
>>
>>32115303
you need a steel backplate also known as trauma plate and hard ceramic or hardened steel/plastic/ceramic sandwitch plates as inserts.

it is very much composite armor. not layered and angled the same as a tanks armor because the projectile it has to defeat don't come nowhere near that level of velocity and mass.

but let's face it there is no way you can carry enough armor to protect you from heavy sniper rifles let alone man portable anti-tank rifles. so the armor race was lost before it even began as far as infantry goes.
>>
>>32115287
>>32115314
>>32115331
Ok, I should be clearer next time. Why don't they create composite plate armor, as in one you put into a vest.

I'm not talking about making someone into a BoS paladin.
>>
>>32115331
>carbon nano-tube fabric
you seriously think that will stop bullets?
>>
File: 1478573679803.png (631KB, 539x558px) Image search: [Google]
1478573679803.png
631KB, 539x558px
>>32115342
>Why don't we add heavy metal to ceramic plates being made specifically to be as light as possible
>>
最強の個人装備とは何だろうとSFでよく言われる、でもかっこいいと使いやすいは少ない
>>
>>32115338
Oh ok, that makes sense.

So, no point in sandwiching ceramics and steel together like engineered wood?
>>
why dont they create wearable reactive armor?
>>
>>32115372
AR500 armor plates are a thing, ya know.

The plates don't have to be for military use.
>>
>>32115390
or just go with boron-carbide which is a lightweight and extremely hard stuff.
>>
>>32115312
All it said was depleted uranium mesh-reinforced composite armor. We no longer use Chobham armor I guess.
>>
What if you put the ceramic around a metal frame? Like reinforced concrete
>>
>>32115430
Alright.

I know this is beating the dead horse, but why not a metal matrix of both boron-carbide and ? Something that is incredibly resistant and reusable.

No point I guess? You're probably doing something wrong to be hit more than twice in the chest.
>>
>>32115487
you always need to sandwich them with a metal, these hard plates shatter as they destroy/deform the penetrator. and still need to distribute the kinetic energy. that is why a softer steel back-plate is used and some padding underneath it.

the entire thing works together. you can glue the back-plate and inserts together with polymers into a single armor plate but then you can't replace the individual inserts you need to replace the entire plate after a hit.
>>
>>32115401
>hit by .22
>hallu crapbar
>>
>>32115503
Oh, ok. That makes much more sense. Thanks.
>>
>>32115430
Would buy if I wasn't a poorfag college student. Ar500 is still the same class right?
>>
File: lapua.jpg (473KB, 1200x1795px) Image search: [Google]
lapua.jpg
473KB, 1200x1795px
>>32115282
One company does a special Level III multihit using a AR650 steel/poly composite, but it's difficult and thus very expensive to get extremely thin armor steel without fucking up the heat treatment. Around $700 for the plate, and they only sell to CCW permitees/Security/emergency first responders/Mil

http://armoredmobility.com/products_tac3s.php
https://vimeo.com/14327236

* All tests performed on same plate *
* (2) sledge hammer impacts
* (5) 5.56 55gr M193 ball
* (5) 5.56 62gr Tactical Bonded
* (3) 7.62 x 39mm AK47 130gr
* (2) 7.62 x 51mm (1 penetration)
* (5) 5.56 M855 Green Tip
* (3) 1 OZ. high velocity slugs
* (10) 9mm 115gr ball
* (10) 9mm 127gr. +P+ duty
* (5) .40 cal 180gr ball
* (6) .40 cal 150gr duty hollow point (1 miss)
* (7) .45 230 gr ball
* (7) .45 180 gr SXT
* (5) FN 57 (RED TIP)
* (5) FN 57 (BLUE TIP) (1 miss)
* (3) 7.62 x 51 (1 penetration)
* (3) 300 win mag (no penetration grazed top of plate)

Pic related is a different test plate stopping two rounds of .338 Lapua
>>
>>32115331
Even then, they'll just use stronger materials to build more powerful guns.
>>
>>32115352
Why wouldnt it? Assuming its not just one layer thick, it should be much higher strenght then kevlar which works on the same idea.
>>
>>32115448
So you are, in fact, 20 years out of date. Congratulations.
>>
>>32115605
Thanks, will check out.
>>
>>32115655
when you press on nano-carbon layers they stick together and form graphite which doesn't stop shit. they are actually stronger single layered than in multiple layer.
>>
>>32115282

MAN OH MAN STAR WARS GALAXIES SURE WAS GOOD AND I WISH IT NEVER HAD THAT FUCKING NGE
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.