[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Poorfag Scout Rifle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: R8pV51HYB_fBWU36vuJ.png (897KB, 3650x598px) Image search: [Google]
R8pV51HYB_fBWU36vuJ.png
897KB, 3650x598px
Hey /k/,

Had an idea today.

Would buying a savage axis in .308 and then mounting a red dot scope, bipod and sling be a good deer rifle?

I hunt in brush for the most part but there were a couple opportunities to shoot a deer this year where I'd spot them from over 100yds away, but couldn't shoot them with the 30-30 that was lent to me.

I have the red dot scope already all I need is a picatinny mount.

Good idea or too Bubba?

I'm a poor college student so budget is tight but I still love my hobby.
>>
>>32114111
As a poor college student as well. I'd say save up and buy literally anything that isn't a savage. Link related. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/10/24/man-insane-battery-firing-savage-axis-can-happen/
>>
>>32114111
If you are only shooting in 100 yards then you don't need a .308. In fact, a 30-30WCF is perfect at 100 yards and if you are missing with that then you will probably be missing with your 308. Especially when you're only putting a red dot on it. Also doesn't appear to have iron sights, so at least the red dot will make up for that. Everything you are doing just sounds like a bad idea and not really well thought out.
>>
go milsurp
>>
>>32114111
>but couldn't shoot them with the 30-30 that was lent to me.
why the fuck not?
>>
>>32114278
alright im not trying to come off as a dick because im not saying i'd make that shot at a 100 yards, but if someone lent me that rifle to do it with and i wasn't making that shot i'd figure out if it were my shooting, or something off with that rifle, and fix the rifle if there's something wrong with it. a hundred yards with a weapon that has a stock on it, you could probably reliably do that with a pistol set up with a stock even. im not thinking throwing a lot of money at a new rifle is going to fix your problem. check the sights/barrel crown/rifling then maybe the ammo if those seem alright which it probably should if you looked the thing over before you used it
>>
>>32114278
Didn't wanna take the risk as I'm not familiar with the lethal range of a 30-30.
>>32114211
I'm not worried about making the hit, I'm worried about making the kill, also, I need a rifle cartridge with enough wallop to take out bears. One went after one of our dogs this year and took 5 shots from an sks before it was down. I don't know if I would have had enough power to kill one with a 30-30
>>
>>32114425
dude google 30-30, im not familiar with it but the bullet weight and speed should be enough to drop a good sized deer. i have no fucking clue if it'll bolt or not tho
>>
>>32114111
A red dot scope isn't great for hunting, and neither is the scout rifle concept. I've got a Mauser set up that way, but a more traditional hunting gun is better for hunting.

A .30-30 is good for deer out to at least 150 yards with irons if you know how to shoot it. Which makes me wonder what >>32114278 wonders.

Also, if you're not shooting much past 100 yards, consider a 12 gauge with a slug setup and a 4x scope.
>>
>>32114403
I didn't take the shot because I have 0 practice with shooting a 30-30. Why take a risk when there's 10 watchers down from my position who will be more likely to take it?
>>
File: WP_20160921_19_49_28_Rich.jpg (2MB, 3004x5344px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160921_19_49_28_Rich.jpg
2MB, 3004x5344px
>>32114452
Or a nice 4x scope.

>.35 rem, but it's the .45 to the .30-30's 9mm
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.