[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cosplay Conventions and Self Defense

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 17

File: Michiko Bree sabotencon 2015.png (3MB, 1094x1459px) Image search: [Google]
Michiko Bree sabotencon 2015.png
3MB, 1094x1459px
So, /k/ I like to have a good discussion with you.

I'm an avid cosplayer. I've been doing it since 2003. I'm also an advocate for self defense and gun ownership.

I've been thinking about something lately. Most cosplayers (mainly females) have been worried about being attacked because they are dressed up in very sexy/revealing cosplays. And while there is "cosplay is not consent" policy, I do believe it does as much good as gun-free zones. I mean the policy is "inform someone of being harassed and they'll remove them from the premises" but I do think eventually someone will go to the extreme and attempt full-on assaults on your everyday sexy female cosplayer. (there has been stories and such).

The thing is most conventions don't allow steel or live weapons. Though sometimes activities go beyond the con's limits like the hotel's parking lot, doing photoshoots outdoors and whatnot. It also doesn't help that most cosplayers range from liberal to militant liberal. Thankfully I've run into a few libertarian/conservative-thinking/open-to-self-defense-options folks and even convinced a few cosplayers to get a CCW / take a self defense course.

Anyway, given the situation, what could cosplayers carry to make sure they aren't assaulted by a Jaun and Jamal roaming the con.

((pic is not me but is a cosplayer who also shares the views of self-defense in cosplay))
>>
>>32105171
Pepper spray, tazer, a shillelagh. I don't know though, last con I went to had a big sign that said no defense weapons except for maybe a stick.
>>
>>32105171
in the actual con all you really need is an assertive personality and situational awareness, if someone tries to molest you and you call them out literally everyone will ostracize them

you're not going to pull a gun on someone who tries to touch you. that's an unnecessary escalation of force. firearms are for when you fear for your well being.
>>
>>32105198
>shillelagh
Where was this at? In a liberal state?

I mean here in AZ the cons do have strict policy but I think they have some allowance in terms of having things like pepper spray and such.
>>
>>32105171
A lot of the hype of women being molested at cons come from tumbleristas who think some one looking at them is rape. I'm a grill and anytime some one makes me feel uncomfortable (which rarely happens) I can always tell one of my guy friends and they will go full white knight for me. Also being direct and saying something like "stop doing x it's really creepy and I'm not cool with it" goes a long way. Some guys at cons just give off creepy vibes anyway just because they aren't well versed in socializing. Doesn't mean they are rapists.
>>
>>32105219
A shillelagh is a stick with a knob on the end to beat fuckers senseless with. Scottish or some shit.
>>
>>32105171

I use to cosplay a lot. I had the same problem until I said fuck it, just started to CC to conventions. Depending on the outfit, dif size guns and how I carry would change. Some times appear six carry, or shoulder rig....Some times even ankle. Which I'm happy I did this, cause I found out that way, that I really like appendix carry.
>>
>>32105504
>>32105171
Do either of you want to be my girlfriend.
>>
>>32105519
Irish.
>>
I always had this question, do they actually check guns at cosplay conventions and such? Air soft guns look so damn realistic these days, what stops some random dude to take his AK/AR and use it for cosplay at the Sakuracon?
>>
>>32105542
stop doing this it's really creepy and I'm not cool with it
>>
File: Yhcuozp.png (447KB, 610x610px) Image search: [Google]
Yhcuozp.png
447KB, 610x610px
>>32105576
I-im sorry
>>
>>32105576
I'll hatefuck your eye socket if you know what I'm sayin
location?
>>
File: very ugly russian cosplay.jpg (170KB, 1095x730px) Image search: [Google]
very ugly russian cosplay.jpg
170KB, 1095x730px
>>32105542
I don't think you want to be in a relationship with me. I'm a very ugly man. Pic related.

>>32105568
Most airsoft guns allowed in conventions need to show the orange tip and have to be checked in and tagged.
>>
>>32105171
Go with somebody grizzled who can pull off a Barry Burton cosplay. Maybe see if any of the GQ guys are down.

Job done.
>>
>>32105613

Actually....I am working on a Barry Burton cosplay.
>>
File: 1471344662898.png (425KB, 1042x871px) Image search: [Google]
1471344662898.png
425KB, 1042x871px
>>32105568
Last con i went had a police officer checking weapons the first day, then the rest of the time it was some fat gabben looking dude, most cons i went had a little booth were all weapons were checked prior to entering the buildings
>>
>>32105171
I've been to a few cons, and almost all of them have a "No live steel" policy or something similar. Additionally, most of the venues themselves at least post a "no guns allowed" thing which might not be legally defensible, do you really want to get into the expensive legal quagmire around that, especially if you traveled for the con and your CCW is from another state? You might be in the right, but proving that could get expensive, so you're going to have to keep that shit properly hidden.

I don't cosplay, but I've had girlfriends that do, and just being the plainclothes intimidating guy who'll step in and say "that's enough" was enough to get even the drunk creepers to back off. I used a messenger bag with to carry her shit around because their costumes frequently just didn't allow her to carry anything at all, especially with the constant requests for pictures and such. So if you don't have someone else to do your carrying for you, I imagine you're shit out of luck on this.

I had a multitool that was technically in violation of the "no knives at all!" policy so that when I did get searched, they'd find that, hassle me about it, and I'd say it was for costume repair and they'd ignore the CCW in the hidden interior pocket.
>>
File: 1477779098817.jpg (59KB, 546x720px) Image search: [Google]
1477779098817.jpg
59KB, 546x720px
>>32105656
What state? It sounds like they frisk you or something, I've walked into all my cons with a weapon, but they never frisk so i never worry
>>
I'm sure they're fake but /cgl/ has some horror stories that make me think con defense should be more common
>>
>>32105700
I live in IN, which is pretty lax, but I've been searched in FL, TX (where they found the CCW, but allowed it anyways when I explained it), and CA.

Maybe because I wasn't cosplaying at any of them and was just a guy in regular civilian clothes with a bulky bag.
>>
>>32105715

I'm formerly from /cgl/ myself. And also since I've been around the community for many years, I heard some were exaggerated but some were true to the word.

It boggles my mind still that they aren't given the option for self defense. You think conventions in states that are very open to protecting yourself (like AZ, Florida and Texas) they'd allow cosplayers to at least carry a tazer.
>>
>>32105619
Be the change you want to see, man.

I will admit to the presence of some jelly. I am too lean and short (5'10 175) to rock the bear look. That is not aided by the fact that my luxurious dark red beard had to be shaved daily (line medic).

You have pics of your outfit?
>>
File: 1468732018832.gif (941KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1468732018832.gif
941KB, 400x300px
>>32105735
I live in TX and i've never been frisked, although i did miss san japan this year, still im surprised.
>>
>>32105786
Nothing at the moment. Also I'm kinda bulky as seen in the other pic. Technically it's the off-season for cosplay for me. I usually shift my cosplay money into gun money. Mainly to stock up on ammo and whatnot.

I'm saving for a Beretta 92 FS. Sadly every time I save money, something stupid happens like an unexpected bill or necessary car repairs and I gotta dip a little into the funds.
>>
>>32105735
What con in FL frisks? Havent been to mega or shado in a while but you could always keep it in your car until you get checked and then grab it.
>>
>>32105606
I like it
>>
>>32105171
Local convention has a cosplay prop policy of "no realistic guns of any kind" but if I am not using it as a prop and cosplaying I should be allowed to carry. ESPECIALLY if I am staying in the hotel the con is at.
>>
>>32105579

More girls should just learn how to fight.

Weebs at cons will be submissive in a snap, respect will be earned.
>>
>>32105747
A lot of con attendees are underagev& so I imagine the "No weapons. Period." policies are more to prevent accidents and general stupidity. The TX guy who basically ok'd my CCW seemed to understand why I'd want to be carrying when my girlfriend was wearing almost nothing but body paint.

People with zero firearms training that cosplay Snake and think they need a real 1911 and M4 to pull it off. Ninjas with actual blades. That sort of thing. Especially when the afterparty shit happens and people get stupid drunk. Probably some sort of legal CYOA policy.

I advocate defensive carry, but I don't think there's a simple one-size-fits-all solution here, especially when some one people who are going to be checking for this are going to be super hardcore rule nazis about "DANGEROUS WEAPONS".
>>
I'm pretty much never unarmed at a convention. There's no body checks or metal detectors except at a few venues (usually concert ones). There might be bag checks but those are usually easily bypassed by a) on body carry b) going to another entrance. I have access to all the big name international guests and no one has a clue that I'm carrying.
>>
>>32105840

No one wants to take the responsibility to protect themselves. They rather rely on cops for that shit.

If I ever have a kid, he/she is gonna learn to defend themself.
>>
If a convention seriously wants to do a stop and frisk I will refuse and leave and never go back. Fuck that shit.
>>
>>32105820
It was Supercon 2015. It wasn't a pat down, but it was a bit more than a perfunctory bag check. I guess I just look shady. I always get singled out for this kind of thing.
>>
>>32105840
>He doesn't know about tard rage
>>
>>32105920

Are you black or brown by any chance?
>>
>>32105171
>fake issue
>moral panic over invented enemies
Tits, and then get the fuck out.
>>
>>32105935
Nope. Standard issue white male, 180 centimeters, 200lbs, short brown hair, hazel eyes. One hundred percent generic.

Happens at the airport too.
>>
>>32105171
Let me disclaimer this with I've never been to a cosplay convention or something like that; so I don't know how they work, I'm assuming as pretext to what I'm about to say that they mean this as part of your costumes; I am assuming that they don't have metal detectors and searches at the entrance.

If you want to carry at your convention, consider carrying CONCEALED and not as part of your costume.

I'm not sure based on your post if you're a female and worried about getting groped or something or you're planning on picking up chicks by defending them at a convention etc...

Now if either of those are the case; I'd like to say that in case 1. someone slapping your ass is not sufficient grounds to draw a weapon, if you want it as an option if things escalate that's one thing, but if you're planning on flashing your gat at the first filthy cismale that stares at your tits I'd advise against because that's illegal. 2. If you're some guy who wants to get a girlfriend by whiteknighting some chick who gets her ass slapped at an anime convention by pulling a gun out; that's a dumb fucking idea. you'll probably go to jail.

I'm not saying DON'T concealed carry at your little conventions, by all means everyone has the right to concealed carry anywhere they want to legally. Private signs about no concealed weapons don't have any legal "force". they can ask you to leave and ban you from their private establishment; a no guns sign on a restaurant are not the same as the ones on courts and schools. However, if your only reason to bring a gun along is to get into shenanigans; don't.
>>
Out of the cons Ive seen in VA and MD, all of them have no live steel policies, and no firearms policies. One even has a set of guidelines for prop weapons, which includes barring anything that can (or could have ever) launched a projectile of any kind. That means no airsoft or even nerf guns.

And yet, I see nerf guns there every year, and staff doesn't care. Although one time...
>be at anime convention
>used to be anime focused, but has branched out to vidya, comics, cartoons, etc.
>been walking around for hours in sci-fi uniform with raygun prop
>raygun is made from wood, brass, little bit of steel, wires, and random trinkets.
>hanging out in big atrium area, watching a cosplay photo shoot
>staff lady stops me, and questions my raygun
>she seems half serious, and a bit nervous
>tell her its a prop, i made it myself, and that it follows the rules of the weapons policy
>calmly point out a few things that demonstrate it's just an overgrown toy
>"okay, have a nice convention!"

That convention used to mark prop weapons that were cleared by staff with a piece of caution tape to prove that it had been cleared, but discontinued that policy years and years ago.
>>
>>32105938
self defense matters everywhere else, why wouldn't it matter at an anime convention with grabby little otaku?
>>
File: youdensemotherfucker.png (90KB, 482x315px) Image search: [Google]
youdensemotherfucker.png
90KB, 482x315px
It's gonna be an uphill battle. Especially when this happened this past year. Thanks Beta Males.

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/male-feminist-throws-temper-tantrum-until-guy-selling-fake-guns-banned-from-comic-convention/
>>
>>32105922

>Implying tard strength will beat a well trained person

My niece which just started high school is one of those nerdy girly girls who doesn't care too much about self defense, but she's been trained in basic Krav and has taken Tae Kwon Do classes. In her sophomore year she got in a fight with some really big ghetto chick with hands, she took some hits but she took care of that shit quickly.

It's advantage over ability.
High school, anon.

Training does pay off.
>>
>>32105171

This thread is fucking retarded. You make a long winded post about a gay hobby just to ask a question that's been asked a million times here - what's a good self defense weapon. Your post is easily 8/10 cringe. Go dress up in a costume and fucking end yourself.
>>
File: 40392_103148893077410_3631214_n.jpg (102KB, 477x719px) Image search: [Google]
40392_103148893077410_3631214_n.jpg
102KB, 477x719px
>>32105987

I'm >>32105606
Definitely a guy. I'm definitely not someone to show off their CCW in public. I'm not some lampoonish character from a Doonsebury comic. But I am concerned for my female friends who cosplay as characters like Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop and Nidalee from League of Legends.

Besides all of this is just something that's been lingering in my head. I can't really discuss it mainly because most cosplayers are liberal.

When they find out I'm a 2nd Amendments advocate and have a CCW permit sometimes they look at me like I'm a grizzled anti-government militia man who stockpiles ammo in a cabin in a woods.,
>>
File: CZ-75_Signed_By_Kenichi-Sonoda.jpg (938KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
CZ-75_Signed_By_Kenichi-Sonoda.jpg
938KB, 2048x1536px
>>32105171
my only experience is SDCC and the mentality there varies 50/50 tho with cosplayers in general I find that they except victim mentality that nothing could have been done to prevent any chain of events.

I do know one anon who took his pistol to ECCC to get signed pic related to story
>Kenichi Sonoda is going to ECCC
>Anon wants him to sign it
>He send email to ECCC they tell him to check it in like any other weapon
>According to anon he got approved with no hassle
>waited in line his turn takes pistol to get sign Kenichi was ecstatic while his translator lost her spaghetti
>Kenichi explains to translator its common in US to own guns
>After signing Kenichi finger fucks his gun they shoot the shit talking about guns and things
>Overall Kenichi was dope according to anon
>>
File: 1479702877910.jpg (1MB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1479702877910.jpg
1MB, 2048x2048px
>>32106166

>calls cosplay a gay hobby
>browses 4chan

Hey guys, look!!

Sore butthole butthole man!

Remember where you are!
>>
Part of the issue with carrying in cosplay is that some of the outfits are a bit revealing. Any tips for carrying with a short skirt?
>>
>>32107672
Thigh band or flashbang (Google it).
>>
>>32107672
Modified Boipucci Carry
>>
File: P9253919.jpg (783KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
P9253919.jpg
783KB, 1600x1200px
>>32105171
>Anyway, given the situation, what could cosplayers carry to make sure they aren't assaulted by a Jaun and Jamal roaming the con.

I've worked Security for a big Con in Atlanta, as well as working in the TTG room for that very same con.

We don't want you to be carrying a weapon unless you know how to shoot in a crowd. Most people do not know how to shoot in a crowd. The best thing you can do is stay vigilant, and stay away from creepy fuckers.

That being said

>Dress up as Nick Fury
>Zip tie my shit myself
>No problem.
>>
>>32107710
You wouldn't happen to have a tutorial for that, would you?
>>
>>32105840
>Cites the Black Panthers as people trying to defend themselves

Holy shit, neck yourself Jamal.
>>
>>32106166
You do realize that you're on a Mongolian basket weaving website created by a weeaboo that sold us to a jap, right?
>>
>>32107672
Belly band
Ankle carry
Thigh band
Pocket carry
>>
As much as I promote hasgunz zones, Conventions are really not the place for them. If you think you need one in a non-convention area like a hotel room or whatever then keep it in a car or a case and get it when you're leaving.
>>
>>32108428
Toad in the hole
Spotted dick
Pig in a blanket
Angel on horseback
>>
File: 1464219214416.png (2MB, 1194x1198px) Image search: [Google]
1464219214416.png
2MB, 1194x1198px
Remember the basics of CQC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS7KEsNQwTg
>>
>>32105568
Most cons have something called "peace bonding," basically to enter the con with any kind of weapon prop you have to take it to the security or staff office, have it checked, and then they mark it as approved. (Usually with a customized ziptie for large cons.) With cons that allow airsoft, they usually loop it through the action or ejection port like you'd do with a gun lock.

That said, if you walk around with a holstered or sheathed weapon, you usually won't get bothered. I actually know a few people who have open carried real guns at cons and gotten away with it because they kept them holstered and they were costume-appropriate. (As an example, one guy cosplays Ocelot from MGS3 and has a real Makarov in his holster.)
>>
>>32105171

Nobody gives a fuck about this nerd shit.

You are not going to save the day like some sort of vigilante hero.

Kill yourself immediately.
>>
Pulling a gun in a crowded convention hall sounds like a terrible idea.

Stick with a friend and dont wander down dark alleys at night, call security of someone is being a dick inside the con.

What kind of shitholes are you going to?
>>
>>32107739
How do you learn to shoot in a crowd?
>>
Yes, because if your grabbed in the pussy you have good reason to shoot in a packed convention floor.

I haven't personally taken a self defense class but I highly dought that molestation is good reason to use deadly force, especially in a closed space surrounded by people..
>>
>>32107988
Start small with something like a Ruger LCP, then work your way up over time
>>
>>32108920
Training.

Practice.

The general idea is "Take the 100% shot" don't be a hero and shoot from a distance. If you have to bury your gun in someone's chest to make sure you don't miss, do that.
>>
>>32108867
Some conventions are right next Jamal infested areas. The old Otakon location is right next to the Baltimore ghetto.
>>
>>32108867
>Pulling a gun in a crowded convention hall sounds like a terrible idea.

It is. Don't do it.
>>
>>32109607
Just because someone wanted to scritch against you doesnt mean you shouldve drawn on them
>>
>>32109906
What?
>>
>>32109599
So stay at the hotel or take a cab or something. Avoiding a dangerous situation is the best defense.
>>
>>32105987
It depends on the state if private property nogunz signs matter or not; in some states they actually matter, here in glorious Missouri they are basically meaningless.
>>
>>32107739
>We don't want you to be carrying a weapon unless you know how to shoot in a crowd. Most people do not know how to shoot in a crowd. The best thing you can do is stay vigilant, and stay away from creepy fuckers.

I carried at AWA. Fuck you. I can't teleport from the con to the hotel to strap on my gun before walking through the parking garage out back of the convention center. "Shooting in crowds" indeed. Even in fucking Atlanta nobody's going to get raped in the "middle of a crowd" in the middle of a fucking convention center. The only possible scenario there would be an active shooter looking to put blood on the walls.

I've been through the simulators at the FLETC location in Brunswick, including the ones with "crowds." I learned all about "shooting in crowds," and it mainly boils down to "don't." Super hard shit, there. Great reason to tell people not to carry.
>>
File: dress concealed carry.jpg (42KB, 364x445px) Image search: [Google]
dress concealed carry.jpg
42KB, 364x445px
>>32105171

Speaking of OP, I've been considering doing a "self-defense basics" thread on /cgl/ just to acquaint people with the options they have and give them a chance to ask questions. A lot of cosplayers don't realize just how many options there are for concealment.
>>
File: troll kawaii.png (8KB, 202x167px) Image search: [Google]
troll kawaii.png
8KB, 202x167px
>>32105987
>you're either a hysterical cunt who wants to shove guns in the faces of men who slapped your ass or a betacuck bitch who wants to white-knight landwhales with a real gun
>at your little conventions

Thanks for that input sempai that was super helpful, I'm totes impressed by the size of your raging manlike cock
>>
>>32110361

I'm all for it. Asking /k/ for advice is a good idea. We just have to be reminded of the situation we are in and also find out ways not to be/look like an idiot. We cosplayers do enough of that.
>>
>>32108197

I think he was trying to cite the sister in the photo with the based trigger discipline.

Back to /pol/, heretic.
>>
>>32110515

Yeah. There's more than a few /k/rossplayers in /cgl/ so if they have a venue (a thread) I think they'll turn out to assist. And it'll be important to cover all the non-pistol options (batons, tasers, even knives) because I know a lot of girls won't go for a rooty tooty point 'n shooty. But god knows there's enough options and enough ways to conceal them.
>>
>>32110354
>I carried at AWA. Fuck you.

I did too. Fuck the law. And fuck the Waiverly's parking garage.

What did you carry?

>Great reason to tell people not to carry.

Your average person doesn't persue training beoynd what's legally required. Your average person doesn't sit and read accounts, dryfire, and go to training.

100%, a knife is far more useful in a crowd than a firearm is.
>>
who the fuck is going to get into a full on weapons altercation in the middle of a crowded hall? the only thing close is that one guy who stabbed another guy with a pen because it was hall H at SDCC

being able to shoot in a crowd is a non issue
>>
>>32105171
>Finger warts

>Ugly stomach

>Ugly face

0/10
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.