[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Concussive force

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: vest-test.jpg (37KB, 650x464px) Image search: [Google]
vest-test.jpg
37KB, 650x464px
Concussive force, let's talk about it.

I've heard just about everything regarding bulletproof vests and concussive force: from "the effects of concussive force are widely overrated" to "bulletproof vests are nearly useless because even the shock of a .22 will turn your insides into mush." (I might have inflated the second statement a bit.)

What do you think, /k/? How true is it? For what kind of vest/plate/caliber?
>>
>>32101403
I have personally watched a man take a 7.62x39 to the chest while wearing an IBA, get knocked to the ground winded, and then stand up pissed off to a degree normally reserved for hornets and yellowjackets who have just had their nest kicked.

Their entire chest was a nasty purple bruise for a while and I've heard it can easily break ribs, but they're still plenty combat capable.
>>
>>32101403

If vests and plate carriers were useless I doubt modern militaries would use them

Besides, mortality has steadily declined in wars and I believe vests and improved medical treatment play an important part in the trend
>>
>>32101403
Hit to soft armour will undoubtedly beat you around a fair bit, maybe crack some ribs and there's always the danger of fibrillation on the heart.
But, its better than being shot with no armour!

>>32101440
I've copped one as well to the plate, it really fucking hurt, bit winded and I was quite unhappy. Was talking to someone else here a ways back in another post that reckons the ceramic-composite plates are better than the metal issued ones we got, for taking the sting out of it.
>>
>7.62 will just snap your neck if your helmet is bulletproof

people still regurgitate this fudd shit
>>
>>32101403
>"bulletproof vests are nearly useless because even the shock of a .22 will turn your insides into mush." (I might have inflated the second statement a bit.)
That's probably referring to soft armor.
>>
>>32101403
as a normal everyday person you'll probably not be in any mood to continue resisting arrest after being shot repeatedly, even while wearing armor

>>32101482
don't ceramic plates deform slightly (like ice hit with a hammer) as well as shatter when hit, by design? I imagine that would dissipate a lot of the energy compared to just a hard steel plate that just resists the impact entirely
>>
The blunt force can lead to tension pneumothorax which is a life threatening condition.
Its the second most common preventable cause of combat death next to massive hemorrhage.
However, a tension pneumothorax alon is better than massive hemorrhage and a hemopneumothorax so to say that ballistic vest usage is pointless is a stretch.
Flail segments are also common but they dont have the same acute cardiovascular effects as a tension pneumothorax.
>>
>>32101403
back face deformation over the heart and spine can kill/cripple you even without penetration which is why many soft armour vests have steel or epoxy strengthened trauma plates there.
>>
File: 0728161848a.jpg (539KB, 1327x2963px) Image search: [Google]
0728161848a.jpg
539KB, 1327x2963px
>>32101483
explain why velocity system sells SLAAP approved by the NIJ to stop those threats?
>>
>>32101403
Science:
http://indianstrategicknowledgeonline.com/web/Testing of Body Armor Materials.pdf

>>32101483
Science:
http://www.medsci.org/v11p0409.htm
>The current requirement for ballistic transient deformation for the US Army's Advanced Combat Helmet [5] and the US Marine Corps' Enhanced Combat Helmet [6] is no greater than 0.63-in (16.0 mm) in Roma Plastilina clay. To the authors' knowledge there is no correlation between level of injury and this requirement for maximum ballistic transient deformation.
>A similar set of tests to those just presented above, 9-mm ballistic experiments for a combat helmet, were performed by Bass et al [18], but with PMHS (cadavers). In their 9 tests, projectile impact velocities ranged from 1312 ft/s to 1509 ft/s (400 m/s to 460 m/s) and all were side impact tests (although not stated, these were likely off-pad hit locations). They observed linear fractures in five of nine tests
>linear fractures in five of nine tests
>http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/01/26/12/30967B6B00000578-3417193-image-m-63_1453809785076.jpg
>>
>>32102490
>Tables 4 and 5 summarize some of the key results from the experiments for the helmet plus applique test conditions. Of the 20 fully instrumented tests reported here, 14 of 20 (70%) experiments result in fracturing characterized by critical. Critical fracture injuries developed for 7-pad configurations with the 0.2-in (5 mm) thick applique and 7.62 x 39 (PS) projectiles, and for all test conditions with the 7.62 x 51 (M80) projectiles.
>14 of 20 (70%) experiments result in fracturing characterized by critical.
>fracturing characterized by critical
>http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/01/26/12/30967B6000000578-3417193-image-a-64_1453809792415.jpg
>>
>>32101440
For anyone wondering about personal effectiveness after a cracked or bruised rib, I've been sandwiched while playing lacrosse and had two ribs cracked and my chest bruised as shit. Still played two games that day before the doctor the next day.
>>
>>32102438
Could you explain these a little more thoroughly please?
>>
>>32101403
>equal and opposite reaction
the bullet exerts only as much force on the target as it does on the shooter as recoil minus wind resistance.
the difference between kickback and a hole in something is duration and surface area.
>>
>>32102709
A tension pneumothorax is caused by an accumulation of air in the chest cavity which houses the heart and lungs.
The accumulation of air causes increased pressure on the vena cava leading to cadiac compromise by decreasing venous return to the heart which lowers cardiac output and decreases blood pressure.

A hemothorax is an accumulation of blood in the chest cavity. This is lifethreatening because it is a massive internal hemhorrage that leads to hypovolemic shock. This also leads to difficulty breathing and hypoxia. Depending on which portion of the chest is affected, venous return or arterial pressures can be compromised.

A flail segment is defined as a section of 2 or more ribs broken in two or more places. This leads to respiratory compromise by eliminating the negative pressure in the chest cavity caused by contraction of the draphragm.

Also, a penetrating injury to the chest cavity can cause a sucking chest wound which can also lead to tension or hemo thorax.

The definitive treatment for tension pneumothorax and hemothorax is a chest tube. The definitive treatment for flail segment is stabilization of the segment to reduce the pradoxical motion caused by the negative presure. If that fails then positive pressure ventilations must be initiated to inflate the lungs. A sucking chest wound is an open chest wond that allows airflow into the chest cavity produced by the negative pressures inside the chest wall from the diaphragm contracting. Using a Hyfin, HALO or asherman chest seal to cover sucking chest wounds is preferred to prevent further accumlation of air into the lungs but petroleum gauze taped over the injury can also prevent it from progressing.
>>
File: ijmsv11p0409g013.jpg (25KB, 633x185px) Image search: [Google]
ijmsv11p0409g013.jpg
25KB, 633x185px
>>32102548
>0.2-in (5 mm) thick applique
That does not explain the difference in thickness or material used. Next step up from ops core SLAAP MAR. is a 6 lb .308 rated helmet that costs 3200.00 each.
>>32102529
>http://www.medsci.org/v11p0409.htm
So basically you want to have as minimal amount of padding as possible to avoid coupling kenetic energy transmitted to the cranium. The padding system they used is nowhere near as advanced as ops core's lux liner system that disperses the energy more uniformly. Also the Thickness of the Applique plate is 55% thinner then the one available for purchase seems to have. thickness with a tape measure right now is .50 inches thick. In conclusion the one being tested was a army lowest best bidder knock off or an early prototype.
>>
Hard armor? Ranges from gentle thump at lower pistol and intermediate calibers to getting smacked with a hammer if you manage to catch, say, a dshk at extreme range.

Soft armor? If you have any notable padding, you'll be fine. If you don't, expect some very very nasty welts and potentially broken bones.
>>
With a III-A aramid kevlar vest like police use you only have to start worrying about a vest stopping a bullet but still killing you when things like 45-70 come around. a few years ago a montana state trooper stopping a suspect coming over the state line took a lead pill from a 45-70 marlin to the chest. the vest stopped the bullet but it pushed right through his chest plate and his heart burst.

Look at recorded "saves" of officers with vests to get an idea for what the high end of what a vest will stop looks like, but realistically they're only designed to stop conventional pistol ammo.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.