[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /k/ actually bother zeroing their pistols?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

File: 1449208833521.jpg (166KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1449208833521.jpg
166KB, 1024x768px
Does /k/ actually bother zeroing their pistols?
>>
>>32090943
Yes, I own a universal sight tool and prefer adjustable target sights.

But I shoot pistols at 100-200yds so I need my guns dead on.
>>
>>32090943
same reason you polish your shoes mate.

don't want to give someone a dirty face.
>>
>>32090968
What kind of universal sight tool? I recently got an MGW Sight Pro to zero some of my guns.
>>
>>32090980
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Handgun-Sight-pusher-tool-Universal-Gunsmith-kit-comes-with-4-block-sets-/262725105299?nav=SEARCH

It works well.
>>
>>32090943

Not unless it really bothers me. Just too easy to compensate for any small error.
>>
>>32090997
That's how you miss in a gunfight champ.
>>
>>32091002
Hard to miss at 3 feet self defense distances.
Rifle good at 500 yards for real fights.
>>
>>32091009
Stupid, very stupid. Your weapon should be as perfect as you can make it. Your handgun should give you a 100 yard reach on stationary targets and pucker factor crapshoot on moving.
>>
>>32090943

I got my first shooting glasses two weeks ago, so I did a main zeroing and testing on four guns yesterday.

Besides this it sometimes makes sense in competitions, to fine adjust during the warm-up or even the match itself. Instead of adjusting your point of aim.

For I know that on a given range the difference between 'cloudy' and 'bright sunshine' is three clicks up or down for me.
>>
>>32091019
Don't try to rationalize with the dipshits that can somehow predict how a gunfight's going to go down when they can't even tell where their gun hits at a certain distance.
>>
>>32091019
Not the guy you'e replying to but why would I try to shoot someone at 100 yds with a pistol? 9mm specifically
>>
>>32091034
Absolutely no idea, butyour pistol is capable of it attwice that distance so handicapping yourself is stupid.
>>
>>32091034
>Predict the future

Seriously?
>>
>>32091034
>Not the guy you'e replying to but why would I try to shoot someone at 100 yds with a pistol?

Because if you are in a gunfight and they have a rifle you will not be able to get any closer. :D
>>
>>32091083
I love how pleasantly people on here shut out possibilities for no reason.

>People like you loose wars.
>>
File: 1466832616364.jpg (313KB, 1024x759px) Image search: [Google]
1466832616364.jpg
313KB, 1024x759px
>>32091060
But of course. I can perfectly envision the gunfight I'm going to have on the day before Christmas at the 7-11 parking lot at 9:35 PM. I'm going to sneak past the robber with my trusty Glock 19 (chopped to a 26) and shoot a perfect sub MOM (minute of mugger) group into his CM (center mass) and save the day unscathed.

This is all assuming that I don't use a flashlight because that will only give my position away and I point shot because you will never see the sights UD (under duress) in a SDS (self defense situation). Did I also mention that I don't actually have any sights on my Glock? They're plastic and quite useless also it lightens up my battle load. Come at me brahh.
>>
>>32091113
Did you forget to take your medication this morning?

>>32090943
99% of /k/ can't keep a soft ball sized group at 10yds or even hit a man at 50, how the fuck would they even know if their sights were off?
>>
>>32091113
>>32091083
>>32091108
>>32091034
>>32091037

Because the chacne of me getting mugged here is tiny. The major danger where use a a gun and deadly force would be allowed comes from an IS terrorist attack - sounds weird nd runs contrary to all those leftypol propaganda macros but it's true. Muslim terrorism is de facto the biggest threat to my life.
>>
>>32091121
>how the fuck would they even know if their sights were off?

This. I can barely shoot for shit with my P226 because of the high bore axis and my hand keeps shaking from the tetanus I got from the grip screw. Goddamn where can I find a Caracal
>>
>>32091133
but hey, at least you get points for not running a stinking Glock right, RIGHT?
>>
>>32091133
This is advanced shitposting.

>Replies 20
>Posters 7

Ah... right then
>>
ITT
>>
>>32091128
I absolutely 100% guarantee you that getting hit by a vehicle is more likely to happen.
>>
>>32091139
>This is advanced shitposting.
No, it's the trust

inb4 SICK fanbois onslaught
>>
>>32091143
>let me telly ou abour your country

But ok, I can give you an example that fits even here:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amokfahrt_von_Graz

>kills 3, hurts 36

But simple car accidents aren't something you can deal with a gun - but you intellectually dishonest shitstain knew that already. I was talking about situations where a gun would be the appropriate solution - those are going to be coming form muslim terrorists or other 3rd world immigrants here.
>>
>>32091141
100m is not that outlandish a range. I train at 50m but only because I don't have a facility that has 100m ranges. aim small, miss small.
>>
MODS! Troll thread.
>>
>>32091034

You never know what distance an engagement might happen. Unless you have some melee retard rushing you with a tire iron, it is useful to shoot at distance.
>>
>>32091172
It's a troll thread man, don't bother.

Quick story
>My BF was shooting on the pistol range
>He gets all set up with his 9mm carry gun
>Walks his target out to 25yds
>When the range goes hot guy in next lane asks why he put it so far away, bf replies that it's to practice using his CCW
>Dude literally says "Mines just for home invaders, they'd never be that far away" and starts shooting at his target.... at 7yds
>He's shooting a Kimber Ultra Carry
>Maybe 50% of rounds are actually hitting target, total shotgun pattern

>Bf is shooting slow fire, 1 shot every three seconds or so
>Solid group for a couple magazines (under 5" for 32 rounds)
>Switches to mag dump mode
>Still out shooting this clown at 25yds

Now... who is more likely (based on this limited info) to win a gun fight, the faggot slinging lead at a quarter of a football field? Or the guy being 'practical' and shooting at arms reach?
>>
>>32091199
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>32091202
What?
>>
>>32091199
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6TdJfiFQoc

This is all happening at ~25m ranges.
>>
File: 2-mpidyn004_1.jpg (26KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
2-mpidyn004_1.jpg
26KB, 480x480px
>>32091218
it's a designated shitting "city"
>>
>>32091221
And if someone had been 100m away with a glock?
>>
>>32090943
(Part 1 of 2)

I do. I brace the pistol on a sandbag just like zeroing a rifle and shoot a cold group and a hot group of 5 shots at a large, gridded rifle target set at 20 yards. You need to set the target this far away to exaggerate the effect of the sights (btw, distance also helps show you how shitty your cheap ammo is).

For a 9mm: I use a clean, standard power 124gr round that approximates my carry round. (Avoid remans, Blazer, Russian, UMC -- essentially anything that's underpowered or inconsistently charged. Geco, Winchester NATO, Speer Lawman, Federal American Eagle are all fine. I've found that 115gr 9mm bullets don't group as tightly off the bench as 124gr bullets of the same brand, regardless of brand.)

First: LEARN HOW TO HOLD A FUCKING PISTOL AND HOW TO SHOOT IT WELL. Don't go trying to fix your shitty bad habits by moving the sights.

For a cold group, I'll fire one shot and then wait a few minutes with the action open until the barrel is relatively cool again, just like sighting in a bolt action hunting rifle.

For a hot group, I'll fire one mag off the target, and then while the pistol is still pretty warm, settle into the sandbag and just shoot a group.

Once I have both a cold and hot group, I'll check to see if there's any major difference between the two that needs to be accounted for. Does the hot group open up? Is the cold group further from center or closer? Etc. Once I have established a baseline, I usually do corrections with a slightly warm barrel because I'm impatient. Going deer hunting with your 10mm? Favor the cold barrel numbers when making your corrections. Planning on using your pistol for suppressing waves of enemy charges? Favor the hot barrel numbers when making your corrections.

(continued below)
>>
>>32091242
(Part 2 of 2)

(Assuming the rear sight is symmetrical) I'll measure both edges of the sight with a fine ruler. (finer than mm is preferable) and record this. Based on where the pistol is shooting, I'll tap the sights left or right just a tiny bit with a small Maglite or screwdriver handle. To figure out how much correction you need, you'll have to use some geometry. Different sight radii will alter how far you need to move the sights.

Imagine a triangle between your rear and front sights, and congruent triangle between your front sight and the target at 20 yards.

A Glock 19 has a sight radius of 151.9mm, so the height of the first triangle is 151.9mm. 20 yards is 18288mm, so the height of the second triangle is 18288mm. Divide the sight radius by the target distance to get your correction conversion. For a Glock 19, adjusting your rear sight to the right 1mm moves the theoretical bullet point-of-impact 120.395mm right. That's about 4.74 inches.

The smallest increment I can consistently get (and see) with the tapping method is about 0.2mm, which translates to almost 1 inch of correction at 20 yards. I'll move the sight one "click", and then shoot another group. Repeat until it's where you want it.

If your barrel isn't worn, the rifling clean, and the crown clean and sharp, expect groups of 3"-6" at 20 yards with good ammo from most common pistols hand-fired off a sandbag on a bench. You'll have to average the group centers just like you do with a rifle, then make your corrections from there. *Most* pistols require sight adjustments, and *most* adjustments are very, very small (like 0.20mm - 0.75mm).

If you have polymer sights and have to move the sight far enough so that it overhangs the slide a bit, you can trim off this teeny overhand with a razor blade.

If you have steel sights, be aware of any shims which may be present. In some cases, rubbing alcohol can work as a lubricant to help move tight sights, but I personally would avoid oils.
>>
>>32091242
>>32091247
As a shooter that is well aware of these concepts and the math behind them, I'm inclined to ask, why?

Do you have an obsessive disorder that compels you to do this?
Do you shoot bullseye and therefore require this level of precision?

Also, please post groups.
>>
>>32091255
I went through this whole process because I had noticed after putting a thousand rounds through a new pistol that it consistently seemed to group towards the left, and that this was amplified the farther away the target was. Doing Mozambique drills on targets at 10 to 15 yards or so often resulted in grazing shots to the left side of head. I wanted to have the ability to shoot relatively accurately out to 100 yards if I had to (as well as hit closer to where I was aiming when under stress), so I decided to shoot groups with it off a bench. When I discovered that it was, in fact, the pistol and not me, I then had to figure out how to correct the sights without Bubba'ing through trial and error.

So no, not OCD. I probably wouldn't have any reason to do this with a Ruger LCP or something, but I would sight-in any service pistol.
>>
>>32091255
>>32091304

Also, it's a good way to confirm or deny that the shooter has a consistent shooting error/bad habit. If a shooter is doing everything right and it's the gun, the shots will keep going left or right no matter how many people tell them they're pulling or pushing it. Alternatively, if a shooter isn't holding/shooting correctly, it's a lot easier to convince them they suck and need to fix something if you shoot groups off a bench and show them the gun and sights are fine.
>>
>Some stuff stolen from a gunrightsmedia thread:
---------------------
...calculations are based on 1mm offset on the rear to front alignment, and it's effects on a target 7 yards away.

First, the data:

Sight Radius (in order of length):

Glock 19 ~ 5.98" (151.9mm)
Glock 17 ~ 6.50" (165.1mm)
Glock 34 ~ 7.32" (185.9mm)

1 mm movement on the rear of each of these sights (in degrees) and their equated drift on a target 7 yards away:

Glock 19 (0.37719 degrees) = +/- 42.138mm drift
Glock 17 (0.34704 degrees) = +/- 38.77mm drift
Glock 34 (0.30821 degrees) = +/- 34.432mm drift

The Glock 19 offers roughly 22% more error amplification due to sight radius @ 7 yards.

In case anybody was debating the Glock 19 vs 17 vs 34 based purely on sight radius (like I am). Hope this helps you.

Again, this doesn't take into consideration recoil due to weight and balance, barrel stiffness, barrel length, etc.. Only purely based on sight radius.

--------------------------
>>
>More stuff stolen from a gunrightsmedia thread:

Size of Error x Sight Radius / Distance to Target

So let's say you're shooting a typical 1911 pistol with fixed-sights and it has a sight-radius of 6.5" - and it's hitting 4" low at 25 yards (900")

4 x 6.5 / 900

= 0.0288" lower front-sight to raise the POI 4" at 25 yards.

The same formula works for windage corrections, too, of course, but the formula is more commonly used for changes in elevation than windage because of the construction of front vs rear sights.
>>
>>32091138

Not him, but I own a Sig, Glock, CZ, Ruger, and HK while enjoying all of them. Come at me, senpai.
>>
>>32091235
>And if someone had been 100m away with a glock?

depends on wheter that somebody cares enough about those people to intervene right? had I been the guy filming, I'm confident I could have ended them with my handgun. Ofc, had I been living there I also would have had access to my rifle.
>>
File: Cugir WS1-64 SB.jpg (237KB, 800x405px) Image search: [Google]
Cugir WS1-64 SB.jpg
237KB, 800x405px
>>32091353
I respect your decision to waste your money on memeguns.
>>
>>32091545
>depends on wheter that somebody cares enough about those people to intervene right?

I... who the fuck wouldn't? What kind of asshole would let that go on when they could stop it?
>>
>>32091669
Actually, I'm an europeon and if it's not me and my family who are immediately in danger, I wouldn't give a fuck. Why should I endanger myself to save people who are highly likely to have brought this on themselves by being pro multiculturalism, pro shitting on immigration laws and general islam apologists while at the same time trying their best to slander legal gun owners like myself and trying to take away my property? Fuck them.
>>
>>32091689
That's an awful lot of justifications for running away.
>>
>>32091689
>Actually, I'm an europeon and if it's not me and my family who are immediately in danger, I wouldn't give a fuck. Why should I endanger myself to save people

Oh sweetie, you didn't need to say you're European, the white flag said it all.
>>
>>32091698
>>32091715

>go save libturd shitheads
>get prosecuted for use of deadly force
>get imprisoned because you didn't say "STOP!" and shot one in the head from behind

Feel free to cosplay a hero dudes, be my guests!
>>
>>32090943
Well.
Seeing as most of my guns were pre zeroed at the factory for shit between 50 and 25 yards, and that's the farthest I'll ever use my pistol in an emergency (any further and I'll sneak away/use a rifle)
I think I'm pretty good.
God bless soviet surplus.
>>
>>32091747
>pre zeroed at the factory
that means literally nothing.

a CZ, Glock, USP and 226 will have different points of impact at the same range with the same (6 o'clock) hold. you need to know where your pistol impacts at what range.
>>
>>32091235
The majority of domestic firefights occur within 50 meters. If you're in a situation where you need to shoot 100m+, you'd better have a friend or have the drop on your opponent, or it's a coinflip no matter what weapon you've got.
>>
>>32090943
>removable magazine
What am I looking at? Schnellfeuer or some chink abomination?
>>
So much fucking autism in this thread. You arent engaging shit at 100 yards with a pistol much less an actual enemy at all. it is an inadequate weapon for that distance. please kill yourselves
>>
>>32091983
>video of miculek popping a balloon at 1km

No I'm not going to link it for you
>>
>>32091986
>>
>>32091942
It's a Bergmann-Bayard M1910
>>
>>32091747
>pre zeroed at the factory

Check this guy out.
>>
>>32091128
>The major danger where use a a gun and deadly force would be allowed comes from an IS terrorist attack - sounds weird nd runs contrary to all those leftypol propaganda macros but it's true. Muslim terrorism is de facto the biggest threat to my life.
Hahaha
You're retarded
>>
>>32090943
I use a laser boresighter at 50 ft and use a few mags at the range to fine tune. Zeroing laser sights follows the same method.

I shoot a lot of suppressed pistols and underbarrel lasers really help vs the obscured sights.
>>
>>32092035
>let me tell you about your country, your laws, your personal situation etc.

well thx, I'll make sure to check back with you before I make important life decisions from now on.
>>
>>32091019
What prestige are you on CoD
>>
>>32091731

You're clearly retarded, don't know how shit works.
>>
File: 1465240149509.gif (3MB, 336x335px) Image search: [Google]
1465240149509.gif
3MB, 336x335px
I'm so shit at shooting with handguns that I have no idea if they're zeroed or not. This comes from being a real human being and not a video game or movie character.
>>
>>32091242
>>32091247
>>32091304
>all this effort into "fixing" the gun when you could have just learned to shoot
lol
>>
>>32090943
Bermanns give me that special feeling. I wonder if anyone could mill one out nowadays in 9 Parabellum.
>>
>>32095101
wat? You must not be a human, i am human.
I could hit apple at 20 yards to a snub nose after my first hour of shooting.
>>
>>32096482
How much cash do you have? If you have pretty much unlimited funds there is no reason you cant get the thing made on a CNC machine.
>>
>>32096811
Yeah, no. That option is out for me. Unless I win the lottery or something.
>>
>>32096820
Without funds you could get a used cheaper machine and tooling for like 5,000 or 10,000 and learn how to into solid works on pirated software

Or milling it by hand like a mad man.
>>
>>32092031
I can get an unfolded napkin sized grouping of 7.62x25 at 50 yards with my Romanian tokerev.
My CZ-82 gets me on paper for about 10 out of 12 shots at the same distance.
I'm shit with my Jericho and can barely hit anything past 25 yards.
I get fist size groupings with a Luger at 25 yards, all dead center.

No tinkering with sights necessary.
>>32091771
Eh.
See above.
>>
>>32096873
>>32096482
There is a man that did that.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.