[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just got back from this. Can we discuss it here? I noticed in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: IMG-20161101-WA0009.jpg (451KB, 1400x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161101-WA0009.jpg
451KB, 1400x1000px
Just got back from this. Can we discuss it here?

I noticed in the movie that the Japans tended to use only bolt-action rifles whereas the Americans tended to use a mixture of submachine guns and automatic rifles. Is this accurate? Why didn't the Japanese issue any squad-level machine guns? If they had enough expertise to make battleships, then making submachine guns should have been a piece of cake. Did they just not "get it"? Did they not understand the benefits of having soldiers be individually more effective? Their only tactics throughout the entire movie was just to charge positions with lots of dudes to try and win through superior numbers. But the American soldiers usually had enough firepower to compensate for being outnumbered.
>>
Japan really only had bolt guns and machine guns.
They had a few sub-machine guns but they jammed a lot
>>
>>32090358
It's barely more accurate than "Windtalkers".

Watch Letter From Iwo Jima or Flags of Our Fathers for non pants on head retarded depictions of the pacific war.
>>
>>32090395
Fuck, those movies are good.

Ira hayes is the modern soldier en carnate.
You can do terrible things in war without thinking twice. but its the time after that fucking gets to you...
>>
>>32090395
the pacific is good too
>>
There was another thread about this earlier.
Doss was a hero on three islands and they left some of the bravest stuff he did out of the movie.

That said, it's about time his story was told.
Truly the hero America needs!
>>
>>32090358
You have to understand that the IJA was not as well respected or prestigious as the IJN. Plus the IJA was really well armed and trained for fighting WW1, which is what they based their entire thinking around. They studied every detail of the European armies of WW1 and created the perfect force to win that type of battle. They didn't evolve from the WW1 mindset/tactics because everyone they fought before was horrible so they had no reason to change things.

>>32090395
Shouldn't you be tending to your menorah or something Shlomo?
>>
>>32090507
>>32090395

Flags of Our Fathers is not that good of a war movie. Most of the film is a drama about the flag-raising soldiers' lives after they come back to the states mid-war as celebrities, selling war bonds, and how they had survivor's guilt and PTSD and shit. The flashback battle scenes were pretty good, but there was only like 15 minutes of that in the whole movie.

Letters from Iwo Jima is a solid 8.5/10 war movie that becomes a 9/10 just because it is told from the Japanese perspective. In terms of historical accuracy, it and Hacksaw Ridge are about on the same level, with each being a little unrealistic in its own way. I'd say Hacksaw Ridge was the better war movie overall just because of how incredibly huge and chaotic the battle scenes were. It's as intense as the D-Day opening scene from Saving Private Ryan, but happens multiple times and totals like 45+ minutes of the movie.

The battles reminded me of the beach scenes from Edge of Tomorrow in how much shit was happening on screen at once, only there were no CGI aircraft (note that both EOT and HR used mostly real explosions, live extras and practical effects). >>32090358
>>
File: Nambu type 100 model.jpg (201KB, 1000x870px) Image search: [Google]
Nambu type 100 model.jpg
201KB, 1000x870px
>>32090358
>why Japs have no SMGs?

Because their military leadership was old and stubborn and set in their old ways. They thought SMGs were ineffective weapons for clumsy gangsters. Late in the war they realized their mistake and started to distribute the Nambu Type 100 8mm submachine gun, but they only made 27,000 of them so only officers and some NCOs would ever get them
>>
>>32090358
Japan was pretty weird, whole different mindset and ideology around how their military functioned and even to some extent how different forces even functioned. For their army at least it was a case that the man was the weapon- highly motivated to the point of fanaticism, well drilled, disciplined and ruthless. Which served them well for what they where doing- those same WW1 era guns "did the job" against China, Korea, all of SE Asia for many years of conflict shooting up forces which where even worse equipped than them... then they hit the Australians in PNG who stopped them dead in their tracks with modern (for the era) weapons and where their match in jungle warfare.
By the time of Pearl Harbour and the US entering the Pacific, they'd over-extended to some degree and any chance of innovation of personal firepower for their infantry was put aside as it became a fight for survival as the US began pushing their shit in.
>>
File: 1479322154380.png (55KB, 789x680px) Image search: [Google]
1479322154380.png
55KB, 789x680px
>>32090746
>>32090358
Sorry forgot pic
>>
>>32090395

Damn I haven't seen those in ages. Well that's my weekend viewing sorted then.

Hacksaw ridge was ok. Don't like vince vaughn trying to do a drill sgt. I would call it distinctly average.
>>
>>32090358
At the time Japan's military had primarily two organizations, the Navy and the Army. Being an island, the Navy took priority and had first dibs on men/funding/etc. They basically called the shots while the Army got scraps for equipment and got put on the shitty assignments, like invading and occupying China.

To make matters worse both branches hated each other and would have endless political squabbles, so while the Army was supposed to be supported by the Navy, the Navy would only do so begrudgingly if at all. Usually they'd make some kind of excuse and do nothing while chuckling and watching the Army get BTFO through binoculars at a safe distance.

This manifested in the Army getting shit-tier equipment. They needed a lot of it too. They couldn't afford a large fleet of good tanks, they could only afford small shitty ones that they struggled to transport between islands (again, thanks to how decidedly unhelpful the Navy could be).

Small arms? Fuck you. You get a decent infantry rifle by WW1 standards and maybe one or two half-decent BREN clones and you're going to love them. Everything else is shit if and when it's even available. Make do and kill yourself for the emperor if necessary. Navy is going to win the war anywa-[Battle of Midway happens]
>>
>>32090395
Man, someone is hungry for (you)s.
>>
>>32090908

The battle scenes in Hacksaw Ridge are definitely more than "average" in my opinion. Very intense!
>>
>>32090544
get the fuck out and never return
>>
>>32091425
what's wrong with it
>>
>>32091393
Yeah, like how everyone never reloaded, only fired full auto from the hip or used dead bodies as "bullet shields" while one handed hip firing a BAR.

Highly realistic.
>>
>>32090605

None of this was more true than in the Battle of Guadalcanal. Holy crap the IJN screwed over the IJA. Turns out, that's not a great strategy for winning a war.
>>
>>32091464

>None of this was more true than in the Battle of Guadalcanal. Holy crap the IJN screwed over the IJA.

Any good place to read about this?
>>
>>32091849
Battle 360. Look it up on youtube.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.