[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how important is it to clean one's gun? does it vary depending

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 5

File: 10-22.jpg (27KB, 825x195px) Image search: [Google]
10-22.jpg
27KB, 825x195px
how important is it to clean one's gun? does it vary depending on the caliber? seems .223 would require less cleaning since the cartridges have more power, but I'm just guessing
>>
>>32088818
Do you wipe your ass after you shit?
>>
>>32088845

it's not the same thing. is your ass going to get clogged?
>>
I've heard, for example, the AK can endure a ton of abuse/dirt/grime etc. and still be reliable
>>
crazy 8s
>>
>>32088818

Depends on the gun, depends on the ammo.

Some ammo is corrosive and will damage your weapon if not cleaned asap after shooting.

Some guns will run any dirty type of ammo (wolf, tula) and not need cleaning as much if ever

Some guns will get gummy and have failures if you don't clean them/lube them.

Depends on tolerances and how dirty the ammo is. Round count. Shooting and storing conditions to a lesser extent.
>>
>>32088888
>>
>>32088818
Every time you go shooting, you clean your gun. Full stop. You take care of your tools, especially if they feed you, or defend you.
>>32088855
Well, your ass is obviously clogged with that stick up it.
>>
>>32088904
>Well, your ass is obviously clogged with that stick up it.

>DURR
>>
I clean mine after every range trip, my conceal piece every month. I just enjoy putting on sabaton as I clean my guns, it feels nice senpai.
>>
Even if you don't have to, why not?

It's fun [spoiler]Though I hate cleaning after shooting corrosive surplus ammo[/spoiler]
>>
>>32088889
work on your script, but you were close
>>
>>32089868
>It's fun

I hate cleaning for the sole fact that I'm 1000% autistic about it. If the patches/q-tips/rags are still coming back even the slightest bit dirty, I will continue cleaning it for hours. I spent 3 and a half hours cleaning one revolver the other day after a range trip.
>>
>>32088818
Do you care if you have nice funs? Do you care if your funs work? Clean the fuckers then. It's not hard, and I find it to be pretty therapeutic. I put music on while I clean them and zone out.
>>
>>32088818
5.56 rifles require attention. Ruger 10/22s don't. Marlin 60s don't.

I have literally never seen a failure in a stock 10/22 or a Marlin 60 that wasn't bad primers.
>>
>when your cleaning your guns after shooting corrosive milsurp and the powder residue starts eating at your skin

Wear gloves
>when you cleaning your weapons to much and strip away the bores patina

Quickest way to incurable jamming

>When you forget to lube the bullets in your mag and your chamber gets friction pitting during extraction

Say goodbye to proper headspacing senpai

>when you forget to close your dustcover when changing clips

Guns don't shoot good when a bumble bee flies into the chamber.
>>
>>32090005

wasn't a script
>>
File: 1440993077680.jpg (409KB, 1157x772px) Image search: [Google]
1440993077680.jpg
409KB, 1157x772px
>>32090262
>Guns don't shoot good when a bumble bee flies into the chamber
>>
>>32090005
check my five
>>
>>32090118
my 10/22 jams constantly if i dont keep it clean
>>
File: 1476182263738.jpg (54KB, 453x500px) Image search: [Google]
1476182263738.jpg
54KB, 453x500px
>>32090262
>Guns don't shoot good when a bumble bee flies into the chamber.

This needs a fucking explanation holy shit
>>
>>32090262
It's like a short anthology of bad advice
>>
>>32090708
Bugs love the musk scent of Froglube brand Froglube. The end.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (16KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
16KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>32090064
Bro, let me explain to you, very simply, how differential equations work. Basically, there is a drop off in efficacy after each attempt to do something.

Ever make rice? You're supposed to fill the pot of rice with water and drain the water a few times, and after the 3rd or 4th time the water is a lot clearer than the water was when you started. Well, you could try to get all the talc (talc is the stuff you're removing from the rice) but you will (mathematically) never be able to remove it all. Only about 99.9%.

So for cleaning rifles, clean them like you clean rice. If you don't see the rifle get noticeably cleaner, it doesn't matter if the pad isn't 100%. What matter is that you didn't see a lot less dirt removed from the barrel. Therefore it's clean.
>>
>>32090775
>Clean your rifle like you clean rice
>You're supposed to clean rice
>Rice from a bag

What 3rd world shithole you are from?
>>
>>32090699
I'll check those dubs.
>>
>>32090118
This is the opposite of true.

An AR15 can have the inside of it's bolt completely caked in carbon buildup and it'll work just fine for a dozen thousand rounds, while .22LR is generally very dirty and you basically need to clean a semi-auto every 300-500 rounds or so.
>>
>>32090775
your point about cleaning firearms is true, but washing rice is just a myth. in fact, most rice I buy actually specifically says on the label "no not rinse"
>>
>>32088818

Bolt action rifles require very little cleaning compared to semis.
At least keep the barrel clean especially on small caliber high power guns like the .223. There is very little room in those barrels for corrosion or dirt to build up before it blows.

Of course, AK-47 if you really don't give a shit.
>>
>>32091012

You obviously haven't fired thousands of rounds through each.

I have.
>>
File: 1367843951928.png (139KB, 623x527px) Image search: [Google]
1367843951928.png
139KB, 623x527px
>>32088818
>.223 would require less cleaning since the cartridges have more power
lol wat
guns require cleaning based on how they work and what ammunition is used

fouling is usually deposited where gas expands the most (thus the pressure drops), AR-15 gas tubes don't require cleaning because its a very narrow tube with high pressure gas constantly blasting any fouling remains out of it, but the gas tube deposits the gas down the gas key into the bolt carrier where it does expand and get dirty
>>
>>32091036
>5.56 rifles require lots of cleaning
>.22LR rifles don't
You are literally wrong.
>>
>>32088818
I literally only run the bore through with a snake a couple times, scrape the copper fouling off the feed ramps with a tooth brush, then clean off and replace the lube on the BCG every month or so. Never had a problem. Once every six-eight months I fuck the trigger group with a pipe cleaner and wire brush the star chamber, the insides of the bolt carrier, and the bore.
>>
>>32090118
>>32091012
>>32091036
>>32091048

Guys... In MY experience, .22LR leaves more lead fouling than .223/5.56 since the bullets are only copper washed instead of jacketed. Carbon fouling by volume is *effectively* the same, by which I mean the amount of carbon deposited on surfaces that matter has the same effect because the overall foulable surface area on a .22 LR is going to be smaller than the overall fouable area on a .223/5.56, especially in semiauto platforms.

Keep arguing, but this is the real truth.
>>
>>32091074
Carbon fouling is known to cushion the impact of a rimfire firing-pin, thus causing failures to fire.

This isn't an issue on 5.56 rifles.
>>
>>32091074
No
>>
It's somewhat important i guess. I just do it to keep my guns looking nice and because i'm overly paranoid about my bores and rusting of internals.

The only gun i don't clean is my WASR 10 AK. Probably been 1k rounds since I stopped cleaning it, which is basically nothing. It had 2 hangups so far, but i'm pretty sure it was the ammo I was using, not my lack of cleaning.

I never shoot corrosive through it so i figure i'll just let it go until it has actual malfunctions. Be interesting to see how long it takes.
>>
>>32088818
I don't bother cleaning my glocks after every range trip. They don't really seem to mind a bit of carbon buildup.

Same with my AR15. Ill clean it after every two or three range trips since I don't run into issues with it unless it gets really nasty.
>>
I don't get out to shoot as much as I like so I'll clean and lube my guns right after to make sure it doesn't rust up in the safe, if it's been a month or 2 I'll pull them out and check that they still look good.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.