[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MRAPs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: cougar-6x6-mrap-01.jpg (187KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
cougar-6x6-mrap-01.jpg
187KB, 1200x800px
>27,000 of them cranked out and shipped in a $50-billion production blitz.
>the Pentagon produced a glut
>costs about $12,000 to crunch and dispose of a single MRAP here, said Mark E. Wright. To ship one back to the U.S. and rebuild it to current standards would cost $250,000 to $450,000
>they are not being offered to Afghan security forces because the Pentagon has concluded that they contain too much sophisticated computer technology for the still-developing Afghan military to operate.
What does "Sophisticated computer technology" mean?
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/dec/27/world/la-fg-afghanistan-armor-20131227
>>
No doubt something the US military vastly overpaid for
>>
>>32080795
More money for Oshkosh.

Hello Wisconsin!
>>
>>32080795
Canbus based engine management computer, digital radio, logistics interface that tells motor pool when it needs service and what parts to order.
>>
>>32080795
Something with more than 3 buttons, wich can fuck shit up if they dont use them properly bit rather trust in Allah to fix everything for them.

Like "inshallah no zeroing my gun, allah leads my bullets into my enemy allahu ackbar"
>>
>>32080821

Most likely this. The infrastructure required to maintain all of these components are probably cost prohibitive for the Afghans.
>>
>>32080833
Had two that bothered to zero. One was ana who could read english the other was anp who was also part time taliban
>>
>>32080795

You faggots complain about that and forget the fucking death trap it replaced and the amount of lives it saved. Every person that didn't die was 500k in life insurance saved plus the cost of training and paying a replacement.
>>
>>32081069
No complaints on effectiveness just wish it wasn't a one trick pony. Also after seeing the body/vehicle armor issues in iraq I was glad to see the improvements but pissed to see the lack of flexibility and intelligence in how we used equipment
>>
>>32081115
Research and development isn't a dead end. The mrap directly led to the development of the jltv, one of the best (i wpuld argue the best) light utility vehicles on the market right now.
>>
>>32080821
>Canbus based engine management computer, digital radio, logistics interface that tells motor pool when it needs service and what parts to order.
I don't even know what the fuck any of this mean. God help a backwater farmer in Afghanistan.
>>
>>32081127
So long as it passes procurement yes. I did not mean to imply dead end when I said one trick pony. I meant to convey it was only valuable in county as it costs less to destroy them than let afghans have them (longer term strategic costs) or transport them home (fuel costs as no waterway access worth a damn) also the maintenance costs were unreal and it hurts me to see police departments picking them up thinking they will be used for anything besides fair exhibits
>>
>>32081188
Basically it means 3-7 times the time and money for maintenance vs a hmmve which is a lot worse than a pickup which they can barely maintain
>>
>>32081191
>So long as it passes procurement yes.

The JLTV? Oshkosh already won, lockmart let go of its complaint in the federal courts, and the us army is getting 600 vehicles before 2017.

>strategic mobility

Yes, that was a major issue for MRAPs, and directly taken care of with the JLTV.

>police

Ehh, these wont be patrol vehicles, but response vehicles. They will spend 99% of their life in a garage unlike Afghanistan where they were patrol vehicles.

I think they are perfect.
>>
>>32080795
MRAPS got the sockets cuzzin. Chargin that iPod, fappin.
>>
>What does "Sophisticated computer technology" mean?
anything more complicated than an ak.
>>
>>32080795
Ship it back and put it in a warehouse.
We'll be back in the middle east in half a decade anyway.
>>
>>32081378
this
>>
>>32081223
Good to hear that moved forward I have been out of the loop for a while. As for police response I am seeing them in podunk rural NY. Short of a a SUNY riot they are expensive (2-3 officers salaries worth) showpieces where in most cases an armored car would work better
>>
>>32081400
Too easy too logical and already did it with the iraq ones (port access) the Afghan ones it is cheaper to build new ones than move them back. Yes Afghanistan sucks that much for logistics
>>
>>32081477
Annex part of afghanistan and keep it all there until we have to go back in 5 years because ISIS took over then.
>>
>>32081477
The Bundeswehr already took most of out equipment out, mostly because it's more economically more reasonable then producing new stuff and because we don't want the Afghans to sell our stuff to the Chinese or similar.
>>
>>32081491
Fuck that its Chinas problem now
>>
>>32081509
From what I remember the krauts were largely fobbits with lighter vehicles sitting on airbases with a minimum of invested equipment. Then again only the dutch polish and slivakians really got out to the Kandahar and helmand areas for non English types
>>
>>32081688
Yeah, we had mostly lighter stuff there light Dingos, Fennek and Boxer because. But 1200 vehicles in total. Most of our guys were in Kunduz, not in Kandahar or Kabul
>>
>>32081781
Was this the group that caught shit for bombing "civilians" (looters)?
>>
>>32081214
>sophisticated system tells you before its broken so you can fix it before it breaks down in the field
>added money for maintenance
Well, for a tier 1 military like the US it probably saves a lot of money in towing one from the field and getting the longest time out of parts. For Afghanistan it's like giving a monkey a jet fighter.
>>
>>32082004
>civilians
When the run they are hadjis, when they don't run they are disciplined hadjis.
Klein is a General now, the Bundeswehr and the parliament made clear that the attack was justified.
>>
>>32082111
Honest to God bruder I never doubted it. I was overjoyed and more than a little surprised you still had it in you.
>>
>>32081042
God, i love that conflict. We had a case where taliban and ANP were shooting at each other. At one point the ANP ran low on ammo, so their boss called the boss of the Taliban, bought ammo from him, transfered it back to his position and then they got back to shooting at each other. On top of it i think they were cousins or at least relatives.
>>
>>32082187
Love how the ana guy I trained had a full on fu man chu. Mongols are about the only viable population there and they were cast offs to begin with. Other than that had an afghan contract security guy blow most of his hand off playing hot potato with a flashbang
>>
>>32082248
The uzbecks in the north were also quite competent people.
>>
>>32082154
A speaker of the conservative party said on that incident that we should stop trying to be the most pacifistic pacifists, we need to take responsibility as an ally and with that comes fighting and killing people
>>
>>32082277
................was he called a Nazi? Awesome for him as a leader but I fear for the reaction
>>
>>32082266
Never met one honestly. Our assigned ana was mostly pushtun a few hazara and a pair of what might have been full on Iranian
>>
>>32082307
>was he called a Nazi
not as far as I know, the far left party made some weird protest in the parliament that was all. A majority of the people thought it to be a reasonable decision, just like we recently found out most Germans would accept shooting down a hijacked plane
>>
>>32080795
>What does "Sophisticated computer technology" mean?

You realize that Afghanistan is a country inhabited solely by pre-civilization caveman types, right? A toilet is literally magic to these people.

Any computer of any kind, even a digital watch, is so far removed from what these people are familiar with. It would be like giving the space shuttle to a toddler - the only thing the toddler's going to do is take a shit on itself and cry about it, it's not going to fly to mars or whatever.
>>
>>32080795
If they're useful/salvageable, why not give them to the Iraqis? If they aren't, why not just leave them to rot?
>>
>>32080816
Hi
>>
>>32080821
Aside from the radio and ECM... isn't that basically just OBD2?
>>
>>32081509
English isn't your first language?
>>
>>32083045
No, and sometimes I don't proof read what I'm typing on mongolian carpet trading boards
>>
>>32082892
OBD and CAN bus are related but not the same. But yeah, any shadetree mechanic could maintain one of these if it weren't for the $5,000 timing belts and shit that they wouldn't sell to other countries anyway.
>>
>>32080816
Sup. My buddy's neighbor transports one of the MATVs up to sloshkosh and will park his tractor trailer on his lawn.

MATV ain't even that big, and the inside looks pretty much the same as a Humvee.
>>
>>32083387
Shit you speak better english than the puerto ricans in my unit and they need to be "fluent" to enlist. Immigrate here any time friend upstate New York is basically German and Dutch anyway
>>
>>32081069
Iveco makes smaller more useful trucks that do just as well.
>>
>>32082452
Outfuckingstanding now just try to remember history and not keep enemies of the state alive
>>
>>32083876
>Immigrate here any time friend upstate New York is basically German and Dutch anyway
Gun laws are even worse then here, 60% C*tholics and no water. No thanks
>>
>>32083749
I'm from Oshkosh, and used to drive them so I know. They have more room than a humvee dude. A lot more.
>>
>>32084001
No clubs needed and can buy in Vermont. ....... true on water though gotta stay upstream of GE. As for catholics well enjoy your durkas
>>
>>32084051
>can buy in Vermont
So you just go in a state with good laws buy a gun and go back home with it?

>>32083963
on my to do list
>>
File: otokar_kobra.jpg (44KB, 613x412px) Image search: [Google]
otokar_kobra.jpg
44KB, 613x412px
>>32080795
>JLTV
I fail to see the benefits of the JLTV over something like that Turkish Hummer, the Kobra.
>>
>>32084079
Yes except for pistols. But moving to a new state and getting a new id doesn't take long if you are near borders
>>
>>32084363
I always think we have too much federalism, but you guys never fail to surprise me by overdoing it even more
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.