[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

USGI vs Polymer mag

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: X63AJWR.jpg (79KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
X63AJWR.jpg
79KB, 640x480px
I've always run Polymer mags since I got a good deal on PMAGs a while back, but recently I picked up a bunch of USGI steel mags (they have the magpul followers but are not Teflon coated). I was wondering, will USGI mags scratch up the inside of the mag well? Especially if they're not Teflon coated wont the metal on metal wear the anodizition off the inside of the receiver/magwell leading to rust?
>>
>>32072658
Aluminum doesn't rust.It can oxidize, but the oxidization isn't harmful to the structure. It might wear the finish, but if you were worried about you're stuff staying pristine and perfect, you should have gotten into a different hobby.
>>
>>32072658 (OP) #
Aluminum doesn't rust.It can oxidize, but the oxidization isn't harmful to the structure. It might wear the finish, but if you were worried about you're stuff staying pristine and perfect, you should have gotten into a different hobby.
>>
>>32072658
Yes op. Gi mags will almost wear the finish in the magwell right away. Deal with it. It's a tool. Wear adds character. Overtime a pmag will wear the finish off anyway. Takes longer but it will.

A nice thing about gi mags or at least the Brownells ones is you have a tiny bit more room inside the mag body for heavy bullets. I can use 75 grain hornady loads without dragging inside the body.
>>
>>32072692
>>32072729
Why did someone copy my post, shitty typos and all?
>>
>>32072692 #
>>32072729 #
Why did someone copy my post, shitty typos and all?
>>
>>32072816
>>32072783
ayyyyyy

But if the finish wears off almost immediately, why do so many companies advertise some kind of special finish, especially if it wont rust anyways. Is it supposed to be corrosion resistant?
>>
>>32072870
its supposed to look nice so people will buy it
>>
>>32072870
shekels
>>
>>32072906
>>32072920
Okay, so it will wear the finish. But what about deeper scratches? Wouldn't metal on metal eventually wear down the integrity of the lower receiver? Which is the only part that's a pain in the ass to replace.
>>
>>32072940
There aren't really any surfaces on the magazine that are going to gouge the mag well unless you're trying to insert it at the most obtuse angle possible.
>>
>>32072986
Usually I try to hook the front of mag on the front of the magwell and rock the back of the magazine into the magwell, using contact to guide the magazine in.
>>
>>32072940
The only thing you should be worried about is galvanic corrosion, which occurs when two dissimilar metals are in contact with each other plus a fluid (air).
Aluminum and steel aren't really that dramatic of a combination though.
>>
>>32073029
USGI mags are aluminum though, though I'm not sure what grade. They feel super light.
>>
>>32072658
Once I got a shitty lower from a familiar dealer. The magwell wouldn't take any pmags easily and the ambi mag catch refused to work. I took a bastard file to the magwell but some mags still refuse to work.

I don't sell any guns so it's not an issue.
>>
For some reason the USGI mags, specifically the ones made by OKAY industries have a really grating feel when inserted into the mag well, like its just raw metal grating on metal. I dunno, but it feels and sounds shitty for the gun.
>>
>>32074678
That's called "friction".

You can polish the contact surfaces and make it operate smoother.
>>
>>32074819
I get it, but friction between two pieces of metal can lead to scratching right? which over time can lead to performance issues like having a weak point in the metal or having a divot where things get caught. Where as friction between plastic and metal won't risk having the metal get scratched or damaged, it might wear the paint but it won't leave any deep marks or damage.
>>
>>32074995

Its not that severe.

You'll have to replace the barrel long before the mag well is unusable.
>>
>>32075098
But barrels can be swapped relatively easily. The magwell would require a new lower which would mean registering a new firearm.
>>
>>32075134
>registering
>>
>>32075143
If you want a new, well made receiver you do. How do you get a high quality lower receiver without going through a FFL?
>>
>>32075165
Build it.
>>
>>32075165
that 4473 isnt registration.
>>
>>32075704
Not "officially", not "yet".
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.