[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the best model Safe?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: safe.jpg (153KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
safe.jpg
153KB, 1200x1200px
What is the best model Safe?
>>
>>32062083
The best safe you can own is the one that no one else knows about.
>>
>>32062101
Am I supposed to build it myself?
>>
Bank vault safes like in the OP were great in the early 1900s. Now any determined thief will have tools to just cut his way through.

Just get one that can keep out a smash and grab crackhead. Best way to keep it safe his have it hidden and difficult to remove from the house.
>>
>>32062083

Watch this video, skip to 2:00 to skip the guy's intro stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHAyRO566sU
>>
>>32062186
Cement it in your bathroom, be sure to keep air tight to prevent rust
>>
>>32062083
Fort Nox are really good but really expensive.
>>
>>32062216
Everyone of these safe experts overlooks the offender profile of those commiting burglaries. They are not the crew from the Italian Job. They are 18-24 white guys who are meth or heroin junkies. They live nearby and they don't look out of place in your neighborhood. They know your movements and they strike just after you leave for work. They don't spend more than 5 minutes in the house and they take things that are easy for the taking. The don't carry any special tools beyond a 12' pry bar or screwdriver.

While all these experts showing how they can get into things using a torch, or a angle grinder, they are not replicating the reality of a burglary. They are functioning like a planned Italian Job job.
>>
>>32062496

Agreed, but the OP asked for the best, that video will have the answer.

Personally I think any safe that can be bolts down and not pried open easily with a crowbar will work just fine.
>>
>>32062532
Anything beyond a stack on is decent. It comes down to features you want. If someone can't get in with a screwdriver or pry bar after 10 minutes, then it's good enough for 99% of all residential burglaries Also, every fire rating is total crap.
>>
>>32062496

not necessarily true. there are also tweaker or crackhead construction guys who have a battery powered cutter/drill/grinder and some pry bars.

they live around you, maybe drink in your bar. they wear realtree. they know you have nice guns, and come in expecting a safe.
>>
>>32062856
You know, the BJS, FBI UCR, and NIJ stats just don't show that type of burglary being that common. It's exceptionally rare and it's usually perpetrated against someone who has been bragging or showing off their stuff to someone who tells their criminal brother or cousin. You should check out the offender data from sources I mentioned. It will be eye opening.
>>
>>32062944
Not him, but I have a relative that had his safe broken open. It's not that rare.
>>
>>32063120
A single instance is not reflective of the more than 1m burglaries recorded in the UCR.
>>
>>32063171
Those stats are skewed by niggers in Shitcago and Jew York though who have no plan. In rural areas, people will enter houses with the express intent of cutting through safes.

I know other people irl besides my relative that have had their safes compromised.
>>
>>32063211
But, the problem with that claim is blacks don't make up a high percentage of the offenders. I know you're not going to bother to look at any of the justice data stats.
>>
>>32063303
What stats exactly are you talking about then? I just looked up the Bureau of Justice stats for 2015 and nogs commit about half of all home invasions.

In any case though, let's say that you're right. The stats aren't different in rural areas, I don't know a half dozen people who have had their safes robbed, and its just overall very unlikely.

Even then, it's still idiotic to not commit $3000-$4000 to a safe that will be holding a massive amount (>$100,000 if you're not a poorfag) of valuables.
>>
>>32063463
Burglary and home invasions are two different crimes with two different criteria for reporting.. Home invasions are most commonly associated with in home robberies of drug dealers, so yeah you can figure out who is commiting those crimes and where they are occurring.
>>
>>32063463
>>32063303
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/table-43

Correct that. It's 32% as I was looking at "robberies" rather than "burglaries". Still that's a massive number.

No data is available for other races unfortunately as (((they))) lumped everyone else as white.
>>
>>32063531
Post counter-stats as proof.

In any case though, that wouldn't dismiss the logic behind investing 2% of the safe's holding value into the safe itself.
>>
>>32063571
Most people don't have a $100k collection of firearms. That would be 200 Glocks in the safe. 9 Barrett M82 .50cal rifles. You're grossly overestimating the value of what most people have and ignoring that homeowners insurance will cover the loss of firearms (my policy up to 5k without an additional add on to the policy). So what is the maximum uninsured loss x the annualized rate of occurrence? This tells you how much you should spend each year to protect those assets.
>>
Basically you want to go big or go home when it comes to safes. If you're serious you're looking at a full size model that you secure to the floor. Because they WILL either knock it over and just pry the door open or they'll just drag it to a van, destroy your entire house the whole way, and open it at their convenience.

The 2nd best option is to find a really good hiding place.

It sucks but the only real option is owning your own home or having the ability to do stuff like drilling into the floor.
>>
Amsec BF series are good. While Ft Knox uses drywall for fireproofing, Amsec uses concrete. So with a FT Knox they just have to saw through the first steel layer, knock out the drywall with whatever, and then penetrate the inner, thin steel layer. With an Amsec they have to go through the steel, then concrete, then more steel.
>>
Safe's aren't needed. What is needed is your own home with a basement and making up a "safe room" that is hidden. The entrance is hidden of course. You'll want a security system and cameras too. They are so cheap now.

All that done will still be cheaper than a big safe and work much better DESU.
>>
I have a steelwater extreme duty safe. 9 gauge body. Most safe bodies are 14. I paid quite a bit, but lifetime warranty and insurance. Check em out.
>>
What's a good safe that will stop a toddler but still allow quick access for an adult in a home defense situation? Only has to fit a single handgun.
>>
>>32062083
One that you can afford, and affords you the level of protection you require.
>>
>>32062186
That's no bank vault. Rolled steel does not equal substantial protection. Most of the weight is from the cheap Chinese drywall they sell as "fireproofing". Reality is that shit's only effective to ~1100 degrees and for about half the time it's claimed to protect at.

>>32062496
The majority of burglaries are smash-and-grab. If you live in a lower-income neighborhood to middle-class, then these are the vast majority of the burglars. In higher end neighborhoods or even just in rural areas, guns and valuables are more likely and thus steps are taken to both avoid and attain. It only takes a few minutes for someone half-competent to cut through 11GA steel. The drywall slows em down (dulls the blade a little) but not so much that it's tool-resistant.

>>32063618
Are you looking for purchase price or actual value of guns? No, most people don't have $100K in guns. However, $20K in guns (call it 40 guns averaging $500 ea) is pretty easy and decently common. Add in the "I have a safe" urge to pile all the other valuables in too--electronics, jewelry, gold, personal documents, collectables, etc. Could get over $30K pretty easy for someone ~50 y/o. All conveniently thrown into a cheap steel box while you go on vacation for a week.

>>32065086
There's a ton of handgun boxes that'll do that just fine.

>>32062083
Something listed and UL rated for at least TRTL-30X6, meaning it can stop very determined attackers on all 6 sides for at least 30 minutes, even if they attack with a torch. Add in UL 350° - 2 hr fire endurance (1850°F for 2 hours with <350°F internal temperatures) and understand that fire ratings don't actually mean everything. 350°F is pretty hot and likely to cause significant damage to guns and electronics (though paper, jewelry, and gold should survive rather well).
>>
>>32065591
>There's a ton of handgun boxes that'll do that just fine.
Are there any /k/ recommended handgun boxes? Where I live is really low crime, so the main purpose of the lock box/safe is to keep bored kids from getting a hold of them.
>>
>>32066553
Then just get whatever looks good in your price range. If it's just to keep kids out a cheap old $100 one will do fine.
>>
>>32062136
If we tell you yes, and you build it, that would mean someone knows about it!
You already fucked up!
>>
>>32062496
>Twelve foot pry bar

Jesus namefags are stupid.
>>
>>32062186
a lock is only a deterrent

if someone wants in bad enough, they'll get in

same goes for your house
>>
>>32066607
>>Twelve foot pry bar
Gotta admit. That would be pretty effective against most home-grade locks....
>>
>>32066607
Beat it idiot. Touch screens.

>>32066633
Yes it would.
>>
File: 1472835761076.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1472835761076.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>32066607
they are the cancer that is killing /k/

picture unrelated to post content
>>
File: trip hate.jpg (119KB, 1175x176px) Image search: [Google]
trip hate.jpg
119KB, 1175x176px
>>32066664
>>
>>32062083
The one with all my guns?
>>
>>32066837
/thread
>>
>>32062944
Can you link to exactly where you read those from? It's not that I don't believe you, I'm just on mobile and also getting a safe soon
>>
>>32062083
One that cannot be moved by hand and cannot be broken into with tools
>>
>>32068649
I gave you the sites, you find them. In the search for the data, you'll learn a thing or two.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.