[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Owning a gun in California

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: 1475909299302.gif (182KB, 226x224px) Image search: [Google]
1475909299302.gif
182KB, 226x224px
Any of you /k/ommies live in CA?
I wanna buy a cheap hi-point handgun just for fun, target range and stuff and by default some basic home defense.
Do I need a gun safe? Anything I need to do?

Also, recommendation for affordable first gun?
I went shooting the other day and it was fun, so I'd like my own gun to practice with at the range.
>>
>>32057267
>Anything I need to do?
Move to a different state.
>>
File: 1462569291324.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
1462569291324.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>32057267
You have a few options as far as an affordable first gun. I could give you a pretty big list. However next year you wont be able to get a Normal AR-15 so if you have the cash buy one like Right now.

What part of CA? GODS COUNTRY or are you a SoCuck
>>
>>32057267
Need more info. Do you want a pistol or a rifle? AR or Bolt Action? What did you shoot at the range that you enjoyed?
>>
>>32057309
Los Angeles unfortunately.
How much would an AR run me? under 1k?
>>
File: 1411598499078.jpg (390KB, 1626x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1411598499078.jpg
390KB, 1626x1080px
>>32057331
You can get one for that, just get a plain Jane A2 or 16 inch carbine. What ever you can get do it, and DONT register that shit. Do not Comply
>>
File: featureless options.png (2MB, 712x1728px) Image search: [Google]
featureless options.png
2MB, 712x1728px
>>32057331
An AR can be had easily for under 1k. Here's the thing you'll need to know however if you decide to go the AR route.

Due to recent legislation passed in california, what's considered a "Legal" AR is changing.

Starting Jan 1st, 2017 you'll no longer be able to purchase rifles as they're configured now (ie, with a pistol grip/flash hider/adjustable stock etc)

If you like these features on your rifle, you need to purchase an AR with them prior to Dec 21st, 2016.

Next, by the end of 2017, you need to decide if you want to keep those features and register your AR as an Assault weapon or convert it to a "featureless" configuration (see pic related) in order to legally possess it.

Or option 3, you need to convert the existing bullet button to the new version that snaps the action open in order to drop the mag.
>>
File: 1467966102206.jpg (4MB, 3900x5008px) Image search: [Google]
1467966102206.jpg
4MB, 3900x5008px
commieforniafag here

I saw a not completely awful-looking HiPoint at my gun store today for 160, if you really wanted to be a cheap bastard I guess that kind of pistol would do for you.

You technically do need a safe of some sort. My LGS did not ask for any proof, but I'm pretty sure that a non-DROS form I signed was confirming that I can properly and safely store the gun.

Make sure your ID is your correct address, otherwise you need a government issued document confirming your address along with a utility bill or something along those lines that says you live there.

You can go take your FSC and buy a gun same day.

The gun I picked up today was a Springfield XD9, got it for 440. Check the chart I posted and go off of that if you're a poorfag.

Keep in mind if you want an AR, you need to buy before Dec 21. I'd recommend buying at least a lower if you can afford it, even a polymer, which can be like 40-50. That said, most places are fucking sold out of those, and sites are super backed up on shipments.
>>
>>32057331
>>32057348
Frankly I wouldn't even bother with an AR for your first rifle if your in California. People new to guns shouldn't have to worry about features, registration, and all that BS.

Just get a Mini-14. Accurate, reliable, shoots .223, and you never have to worry about legal bullshit. They can be had for about $700 although with the state of panic buying right now all bets are off on the price.
>>
>>32057267
I want to ______ that frog
>>
>>32057366
>50 dollar magazines
>>
>>32057348
What happens if I register? They take it when the new law comes in?
>>
>>32057387

https://www.armslist.com/posts/6129032/los-angeles-california-rifles-for-sale-trade--ar15--5-56---223
>>
>>32057387
Here's how it will work.

California has its own Assault Weapons Registry that is more draconian than other states. If you register it as an assault weapon:

-You cannot travel with it to any other location except to and from your home and place where you're going to shoot. So no stopping for food after a range trip etc.

-You must keep your paperwork related to the rifle with you at all times while transporting it.

-You cannot sell or transfer the rifle to anyone without de-registering it from assault weapon status and making it featureless.

-You cannot let anyone handle or use it. Period.

-You cannot pass it on to your next of kin when you pass away. Your suriviving estate will have 90 days to sell it out of state, deactivate it or surrender it to law enforcement for destruction.

-You cannot ship the gun directly to a company for warranty work yourself, it must be shipped by an FFL (gunstore/gunsmith) who has a specific FFL license to handle assault weapons and machine guns both to and from the manufacturer.

On the plus side you can have a normal mag release and whatever feature you want on the rifle as long as you stick to 10 round mags.
>>
>>32057403
I don't get why CA's gun laws are so dumb. I could maybe understand it from a state where a mass shooting has happened, but we haven't had a mass shooting with a rifle since that psycho in stockton like 40 years ago.
>>
>>32057423
Well we did have that mass shooting in San Bernadino fairly recently but yeah, it's mainly politics. California's senate/assembly is solidly democratic and anti-gun and with California's direct proposition system, propositions can get on the ballot very easily banning this shit without much in the way of folks being able to stop it out outside of court challenges.
>>
>>32057423
they're dumb because liberals don't trust anyone else with guns. the only people exempt are cops (and because they need the cops to enforce everything) and the politicians themselves (because clearly they are the bastions of knowledge and responsibility). not even soldiers are not immune to california's stupidity unless they're on a base's range and only because the military would tell them to get fucked if they did try to take the guns.
>>
>>32057435
oh yeeeeahhhh i forgot about that shit.

>>32057455
>>32057435
what's dumb is they assume california is just the big cities, i don't take sides on this, but i think everyone needs to acknowledge that some places need looser gun laws for the sake of the citizen, some places in Cali and some states the cops aren't gonna get to you in a minute, and there's no large population to discourage being loud, so you need something to at least try to stay safe.
>>
>>32057467
We're the government and they know everything that's right. You cannot be trusted and we must nanny you for your own good.
>>
File: 1476165547143.gif (21KB, 132x99px) Image search: [Google]
1476165547143.gif
21KB, 132x99px
CA here.

If you have kids in the house, the law requires you to keep your weapon out of sight and in a locked container.

No nightstand. Buy an AR and don't register it, buy it before Dec 20 if you want a bullet button. Buy ammo too.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.