[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many rounds to break in a pistol?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: st1100-1_Duplica.jpg (341KB, 2000x1633px) Image search: [Google]
st1100-1_Duplica.jpg
341KB, 2000x1633px
What is the typical break in for a pistol, and to find out if it's reliable?

I just put 350 rounds in one sitting through my new Steyr M9-A1. 200 rounds were +P hollowpoints. Gun is fucking filthy but functioned perfectly with both 115gr and 124gr rounds. Safe to say this thing is good to go?
>>
>>32054288
>Safe to say this thing is good to go?
It's a Steyr. That's safe to say right out of the box.
>>
>>32054288
Break in periods are a myth.
>>
>>32054430
Some pistols do have break in periods, but they are usually only junk guns. For example, Kahrs.
>>
>>32054468
That's just to delay you from sending them in for warranty work right away.
>>
>>32054648
No. A break in period means that either or all: a) the slide-to-frame fitment is not perfect, and bits of material need to be peened away before the gun will cycle perfectly, b) the slide-to-barrel or to-locking block fitment is not perfect and material needs to be peened away or buffed smooth before the gun will cycle reliably, or c) the springs are too strong out of the box and need to be stressed/shortened before the gun will run reliably.

Kahrs have issue (a). Exeter Sigs have issue (b). Glocks have issue (c), although they often run much better before their recoil spring has been broken in.
>>
>>32054697
I have taken Glocks right from the box and put them in competition rotation (stock). They run just fine and trouble free. There only reason a mfg tells you X number of rounds is to keep guns from needlessly being sent back due to new user issues.
>>
>>32054737
No, that's not correct. As for Glocks, some will develop a brass to the face issue after 400-600 rounds, indicating that the recoil spring is taking a set. You're just not understanding how guns change during break in, though. Until broken in, new Exeter Sigs will often fail to go into battery if you slowly ease the slide forward because the locking block and barrel are too tight. Kahrs will jam a lot through their first 400 rounds, but hardly at all after that.
>>
>>32054826
No, I'm saying that break in period are bullshit that are designed to delay warranty work for user error issues.
>>
>>32054882
I gave you three examples proving that break in periods exist. Address the facts or fuck off.
>>
>>32054882
>>32054894
It's probably both.
>>
>>32054894
You gave me shit you read in some forum and not based on you owning any of those guns. Your answer is lacking in experienced expertise.
>>
Took out my brand new S&W 40C today to break it in. 250 rounds was recommended so thats what I shot.
>>
>>32054936
All three of my examples come from personally owning these guns.
>>
>>32054936
So after a protracted radio silence, I take it that you have run out of arguments and are unable to refute the facts I presented.
>>
File: 184.jpg (58KB, 600x888px) Image search: [Google]
184.jpg
58KB, 600x888px
>>32055208
Wow, you won an internet argument! Congratulations.
>>
File: 1451842502550.gif (3MB, 281x295px) Image search: [Google]
1451842502550.gif
3MB, 281x295px
>>32055235
Your correct, he did win loser
>>
>>32054826
What do you mean taking a set? My g22 gen3 flings them at me once in a while.
>>
>>32054430
Depends on what you mean by break in

Like better accuracy probably.
But getting recoil springs to loosen up and shit is pretty nice. Especially on guns that don't want to fucking move for you
>>
>>32054288
I'd say a thousand rounds.
Completely anecdotal evidence. But my Glock 17 mags, and ease of disassembly/reassembly just seemed easier after about that many rounds. Could also be the familiarity with the gun.
>>
I've noticed any break-in is generally the magazine springs on really stiff new ones and the trigger. For things like the triggerl, rails, and recoil springs general operation and dry fire with a good clean and lube is all the break-in something needs.
>>
>>32054288
>>32054308
My Steyr spit brass in my face somewhere between the first 2-300 rounds, but hasn't given me trouble since. Make of that what you will.
>>
>>32056024
Taking a set means that the spring tension weakens slightly, which is the only way to explain why many new Glocks eject brass normally at first, but only develop BTTF after several hundred rounds of shooting. Semi-autos are tuned so the action cycles at just the right speed to perform all the functions required in the most efficient manner. Changing the spring weight can cause misfeeds in some guns, and will usually affect the brass ejection pattern in any semi-auto.
>>
>>32054288
Read your manual. It'll tell you.
>>
>>32054288
I had issues with my Steyr. They told me 400 rounds break in when I called.
Please also keep in mind the gun is tuned for full power 147gr rounds. It may not do well with 115gr target loads or the like.
>>
>>32055208
No, I went to bed, you idiot!
>>
>>32054468
>Kahrs
>junk

which one of these is true?
>>
>>32059598
If you bought a kahr made on a Monday the you'll have problems.
>>
>>32054430
Namefag spreading fuddlore like normal. You should go back to plebdit where you can get downboated
Mass produced pistol needs to have their working surfaces mated together.

They are not handfit

The trigger will break better after both surfaces work all the grit and machine marks off

Even that shitty poly frame garbage runs smoothly after a few workout cycles
>>
>>32059655
Keep telling us about stuff you've never owned but learned all about from arfcom and CoD.
>>
>>32059670
I bet you buy a new honda civic and instantly take it on a cross country drag race
>>
>>32059717
Chump, I make far more money than buying Honda civic. You think it's 1978 and parts are still hand milled. It's not!
>>
>>32059717
Look Fonzie, you've jumped the shark.
>>
>>32059729
>Chump, I make far more money than buying Honda civic.
This is how you can tell a retard.
>>
>>32059740
No, a retard is some kid who thinks a new civic is something to brag about then thinks he has to break in a mass produced car that will go 100k miles with changing plugs and will run just fine going 8k miles between oil changes.

Still listening to your fund daddy!
>>
My german made Sig Sauer X-Five had 3 failures to eject or feed (don't remember which, it's a long time ago) in the first 150 rounds fired. After that it was smooth sailing for thousands upon thousands of rounds, with the only parts replacement being the recoil springs.

All my other pistols ran flawlessly from the factory.

My only rifle to ever need a break in was my CZ452FS. Bolt needed to be worked really briskly or it would fail to feed.
>>
I'm sorry anons. I'm actually a raging faggot who shitposts to make my day to day life at work slighly more liveable at the expense of others.
>>
>>32059598
Kahn makes a shit gun.
>>
>>32060073
Kahr, fucking auto correct.
>>
>>32059930
Oh, that do cute. I can see that I've really become sand in the vagina to someone here.
>>
File: KHAAAN.png (1020KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
KHAAAN.png
1020KB, 970x545px
>>32060073
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.