[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Side mounted magazines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: sg 12_72_631x255px.jpg (117KB, 631x255px) Image search: [Google]
sg 12_72_631x255px.jpg
117KB, 631x255px
Why did they die off?
To me they seem like a great idea. Pic related is a mordernized FG-42 replica made by some Kraut company
>>
IMHO not a better idea than a bottom mag. A bottom mag can be designed to fall off by itself for a faster reload, also less cluttering on the weapon; in other words the bottom has already the grip and the trigger, so you can keep the gun flanks flat and snag free, and gain even compactness.

tl;dr bottom is a better design.
>>
File: fg42 tacticool.jpg (190KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
fg42 tacticool.jpg
190KB, 1024x682px
Note how far back the action can be while still having the magazine in a handy location. According to Ian-San-Sama-Senpai FGs are actually very nicely balanced even with a full mag.
>>
>>32049048
Ergonomy reasons I guess. If you make a large magazine it becomes unwieldy as fuck
>>
>>32049073
Still not a better idea than bullpup then
>>
>>32049076
If 20rnd 8mm Mauser mags are fine than a 30rnd STANAG or so would be fine too. The other plus is that you could use simple extended mags (RPK style) and not have them get in the way when prone. The handling would obviously suffer then, but the fact that you'd probably use it from a supported position in that case would negate that factor.
>>
>>32049100
It lacks many of the downsides of a bullpup though. Easier reloads (especially when right handed), doesn't need a gimmicky ejection system to prevent lefties from eating brass, and stoppages are easier to clear too. Not to mention the trigger.
>>
Left hand weilding gets very annoying. You cant the gun easily on your body. The advantages are miniscule (lenght) compared to a bullpup
>>
>>32049122
>Left hand weilding gets very annoying.
Again, Ian-Senpai says it's fine.
>You cant the gun easily on your body
Karl the Arrogant claims the opposite
https://www.full30.com/video/cbd7a17a8918455ec9bc00fa2cfb09fa
https://www.full30.com/video/f33231c7bbff5febfcc8d6d1ff6d9f44
>The advantages are miniscule (lenght) compared to a bullpup
Every bit helps. Look at any image in this thread, and imagine the magazine in a regular position.
>>
>>32049073
Can we just take a moment to appreciate that guys gun?
>>
Blocks some of your peripheral vision, adds a weird side weight to the weapon which can make it feel and kick awkwardly, and just a bit more awkward to reload.

Ergonomics is going to be the real thing at the end of the day though.
>>
>>32049173
Side weight is no issue according to people who used one, reloads are apparently fantastic for right handers, (magwell in line of sight) no worse than a bullpup for lefties.
That peripheral vision argument is frankly ridiculous. Put your fist on the side of whatever rifle you have at hand in the position of a side mag, so that your entire arm stretches out to block your field of view as if you had an infinitely long side magazine. Note how it doesn't get in the way of your FOV in any way that would be even mildly annoying.
>>
File: SMG-FG42-ZF4.jpg (287KB, 900x393px) Image search: [Google]
SMG-FG42-ZF4.jpg
287KB, 900x393px
Also I'm slightly miffed that SMG Guns is doing the First variant FG-42 before going on with the modernized tacticool variant. I think everyone knows which would be for practical.
>>
File: fg.png (1MB, 1014x708px)
fg.png
1MB, 1014x708px
>>32049575
Or more importantly, profitable. The modernized one would apparently cost a few grand less.
>>
>>32049103
Now that you mention it I've given it some thought and honestly I have no clue either. Maybe if I could try taking it to the field the flaws would come up. No chances for that though.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.