[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/nogunz/ fag here Not new to weaponry in general, always grew

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9

File: 1479255797105.jpg (309KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1479255797105.jpg
309KB, 1920x1080px
/nogunz/ fag here

Not new to weaponry in general, always grew up shooting, but I currently am a poor student looking to start/expand his arsenal.

My budget is ~$800, I'm looking for suggestions on purchases to make.

I'm looking at picking up a Winchester Model 1300 12ga for $200 from a local place. I figured a shotgun is probably my best bet for a jack-of-all-trades weapon to start with. Maybe $100 invested in some ammo for it, leaves me with $500 to work with. I'm still not sure though, I'm interested in hearing others opinions.

Main purpose of the weapon(s) would be for home defense, but I'd like to be able to take it on long innawoods trips with me and feel confident it could put down damn near anything that could threaten me.

basically
>I have $800
>I have nogunz
>help me choose gun(s)
>>
File: 1479161473602.jpg (25KB, 586x750px) Image search: [Google]
1479161473602.jpg
25KB, 586x750px
bump
>>
File: 1479159997036.jpg (479KB, 1436x885px) Image search: [Google]
1479159997036.jpg
479KB, 1436x885px
>>32048521
>>
File: ElumJaD[1].jpg (889KB, 2027x1621px) Image search: [Google]
ElumJaD[1].jpg
889KB, 2027x1621px
>>32048497
Anything that you intend to use for combat should to be semi-automatic and magazine fed. If you intend to take large game, a .308 is in the ball park. You are describing a battle rifle.

PTRs and FALs are relatively cheap. If in Canada, an M1A will be cheap.
>>
File: Various shotgun slugs.jpg (126KB, 634x320px) Image search: [Google]
Various shotgun slugs.jpg
126KB, 634x320px
>>32048497
>I'm looking for suggestions on purchases to make

We have sections of the sticky dedicated to this kind of thing so people don't make this thread 9001 times a week, thanks for ignoring them.

If you're unsure of what you want then I'd suggest a new H&R Pardner pump until you figure out what you like. By the way, OP can't bump their own thread with consecutive posts and /k/ is a slow board, you don't need your shit at the top of the front page constantly.
>>
>>32048497
A shotgun would do you well for the purposes you described. Magnum slugs for innawoods and #1 or #4 buckshot for HD.

I'd also recommend a weapon mounted light for HD purposes.

As for your leftover cash, would you prefer a handgun or a rifle? What would you desire the most? A shotgun is great, but not so fun for range trips unless you're skeet shooting.
>>
File: 1479096329934.jpg (74KB, 1024x586px) Image search: [Google]
1479096329934.jpg
74KB, 1024x586px
>>32048568
>>32048568
>Battle rifle
seems impractical for use in a small apartment though, right? Or am I missing something?

Sure, I'd love to own one, but at my price point wouldn't it be better to spread my 'wealth' across various weapon groups for different scenarios, rather than invest solely in one platform?

Thanks for the input, though. What make would you recommend for both the PTR and FAL, in my price range?

>>32048577
I've read through the sticky numerous times and all I see is outdated shit pointing me towards guns that are now $500+ due to the circle jerking /k/ and other boards did around them for being so cheap

but thanks for the bump advice, will forgo next time

>>32048579
I'd prefer a rifle, although a handgun might offer more practicality as I could have a primary weapon and backup holstered on me. Still, I think I'd rather a rifle than a pistol.
>>
>>32048589
>all I see is outdated shit pointing me towards guns that are now $500+ due to the circle jerking /k/ and other boards did around them for being so cheap

You know what, that's actually a fair point. It's been so long since I've actually checked it that I've forgotten how outdated it is.

FYI $800 is on the low end for battle rifles but you could get a decent AR. I'd still go with the Pardner pump though since it's only $200 and would leave you with a fairly substantial sum to put towards something later.
>>
>>32048589
>seems impractical for use in a small apartment though, right?

Oh...yes. Not really because of length. A shotgun is long as well, but over-penetration is a concern with .308. That's just how it's going to be if you want to fight indoors and take down a bear.

You could just buy a 9mm Shield for the house and a Savage Axis for the bears.
>>
File: images.png (3KB, 255x197px)
images.png
3KB, 255x197px
>>32048497
What ever you go with... just avoid anything from pic related .
>>
File: 1479108641101.jpg (397KB, 2000x1138px) Image search: [Google]
1479108641101.jpg
397KB, 2000x1138px
>>32048604
>Decent AR
would you recommend building or pre-assembled if I went this route? Keep in mind I have no experience with any prior builds. If you recommend pre-builds, what would you recommend?

But thanks, I'll continue to look at the shotguns and specifically the pardner.

>>32048615
Fair enough; I'd still like to get your recommendations for make on a PTR or FAL, though. I'll look around and see if I can find one cheap at a local shop or something.

>>32048620
have bee,; like the plague. Have heard nothing but shit about them recently.
>>
>>32048629
I don't know enough about building an AR to tell you how to proceed down that road but I do know that S&W and Ruger both make decent basic ARs for cheap. You could try going to the AR general but that place is full of autism, at the very least I can tell you not to listen to Dan. The few times I've seen him show up elsewhere people have picked apart his posts like pulled pork and I've even seen him admit that his recommended AR list was largely arbitrary.
>>
>>32048629
>I'd still like to get your recommendations for make on a PTR or FAL, though

These things are pretty common:
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/599917860
>>
File: 1479095219237.png (1MB, 1783x2522px)
1479095219237.png
1MB, 1783x2522px
>>32048660
>visit /arg/
haha, I might be /nogunz/ but I know that I don't want to start my transition to being a full blown faggot today

thanks for advice though, I've looked at the Ruger before. I've also heard good things about PSA classics.

>>32048664
thanks, I've heard negative things about the CETME's but around my price range that might be what I have to look into, appreciated
>>
>>32048629
I would avoid going for a build gun, in that to build the AR from a stripped lower / upper you will need some special tools that in the end will balloon the costs to a factory made gun. Yes you get the components you want but if you don't have any experience it will be a learning curve esp if you are on a budget and if you don't plan on building more.

If I were you I would go with a factory built gun

As for budget ARs there are a few, Del ton, DPMS, S&W, Windham, RRA, and the new Ruger, plus many many more

DPMS gets a lot of shit, but the two I have run without problems and they are about 10yrs old now. I think they were were recently bought out by remington, so i don't know how this has effected things, but from what I see I would still have an open mind to try one of their guns as they own the company but I don't think they are interfering with the decisions or internal workings

I have also heard some issues on Olympic arms, I have one of their K23 pistols, never had a mechanical issue but the finish is not as good as the DPMS... nothing major just some small things like grind / tool marks.

Seen some bad press on bushmaster, but I never shot / owned one so I can't comment

You can also go the route with getting a pre built lower and finding a pre built upper, may save some pennies, but perhaps not for a first gun.

Another option is a police surplus. I have seen / collected a few. depending on the maker you can find Bushmasters, olympic, and DPMS rifles for as low as $400.00. I have seen colts got for a little more around $800.00 and up.

They are used, and have fucked up / scratched finishes, but the bores and chambers are for the most part good, and the ones I have (colts) have worked with no issues.
>>
>>32048735
I'll try and hunt around for some police surplus, that sounds like a good route to take, thanks.
>>
>>32048779
A few months ago there were a bunch on Gunbroker and on Gander mtn, but looks like right now there is a bit dry spell. These are the types of things fluctuate and you just have to keep an open eye as they do turn up from time to time in batches, as this is how PD's replace them
>>
>>32048779
If there's a Cabela's near you then you should take a look at the used gun rack, after the Feinsteining my Cabela's had tons of 'used' Colt ARs sitting on the shelves for like $700 and I'd imagine that the most recent election has created a similar situation.
>>
>>32048832
>>32048813
will check both options out guys, thanks

the cabelas near me is usually really overpicked, but I'll see what I can find
>>
OP Here

Just impulse bought a mosin near me for $150 w/60 rounds of ammo and a sling

did I do decent? I'll take pics after I head out and pick it up

Figure I may as well resell it for some extra cash towards a proper gun since the market for Mosins is all fucky right now, can likely get $250-$300 for it on gunbroker
>>
>>32048987
On account the last time I've seen a nugget around my area they were running $250.00 w/ no accessories or ammo I'd say yeah you did good annon

>welcome to hazguns my friend!

Only I would hold on to it, no /k/ollection is complete without one
>>
>>32049872
just gave it a look over too, all numbers matching and came with original cleaning rod, not bad methinks.

Will probably take it out to shoot tomorrow. I should keep it, you're right. Trophy first rifle for the mantle if anything, in the future.
>>
>>32048497
>If 21
Handgun of choice, I'd recommend one of the wonder 9's. Get it used and cheap as possible.
Depending on how much you spent on your wonder 9, get an AR. If you don't have enough for an AR, then get the shotty. Remington 870 and Mosberg 500 are popular for a reason.
Load up HSTs for the 9, I don't know enough about defensive ammunition for shotguns to comment.

>Under 21
Shotgun and AR. Should be pretty damn easy to find a shotgun for under 300 and then you can buy/build your own AR. Building can easily be more expensive but it might be fun or just plain easier on your budget. I'm in college and building an AR is definitely easier to do since I just buy a part or two every couple weeks. Major purchase was the 80%, jig, and now I'm saving up for a decent drill press and router. That said, you could buy a stripped lower and avoid the drilling, and associated costs, while still having the benefits of building it yourself.
>inb4 mill
Limited space. I don't know of any mills that aren't big as fuck.
>>
>>32049978
I'll look over the guide for the assembly of an AR again. I can likely build one for ~$500 with a stripped lower and complete upper, right?
>>
>>32050051
Yes, depending on the tools you have available and who you buy parts from.

I wouldn't try nigger rigging as a replacement for not having the right tools. I forget that not everyone has a tool box.
>>
>>32050088
I have family who have all built AR's and have the tools for the job. I could just use theres, so it's essentially just buying the parts for me, no tools cost.
>>
>>32050109
Then yes, 500 is easily achievable. Hell, if your family has built ARs before they may have spare parts laying around that they would be willing to give you. That would cut costs even more and you could invest in better parts. Notably investment in the barrel gives a good return.
>>
>>32048568
Not the OP, but I'm looking at the Browning BAR Match - semi auto, 20 or even 30 rd mags. What do you think, apart from the weight? My other alternative would be the mini 14. Scope a Zeiss Conquest 3-12x50 or something like that, fitting a suppressor as finances permit.
>>
>>32048497
I'd go with an AR over the shotgun, unless you plan on doing some kind of bird hunting.

Also wait until black Friday and find an FFL/store that accepts transfers. There's going to be a lot of deals.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.