[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Casting Bullets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: lead.jpg (36KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
lead.jpg
36KB, 600x450px
Hey there /k/, is it a bad idea to cast fishing weights to bullets? if so, what sort of lead should i be looking for to get into casting?
>>
>>32047519
>Is it a bad idea to cast some janky ass shit into something I want to rotate at high speeds with stability

Just buy lead. Better yet, just buy bullets. Casting isn't as simple as
>Pour into mold
>receive desired result
>>
>>32047530
well, i'm aware that you need to remove impurities, and you need to lubricate the bullets, but my question mainly lies with the idea that fishing weights may be too soft for bullets. thoughts?
>>
File: 1350647646078.png (8KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
1350647646078.png
8KB, 493x402px
>>32047530
>"I'm interested in learning things!"
>"You're stupid. Stop trying to learn things!"
>>
>>32047530
>>32047539
if its any corolation, i'd be casting shitty little .32's to shoot out of a H&R model 532
>>
>>32047539
Desired hardness varies with what you're shooting.
>>
>>32047519
Boil lead in WELL VENTILATED area, using respirator, remove impurities on the top and cast to your hearts content.
>>
>>32047519
You wouldn't ask this question if you'd know something about casting. Don't try to cast stuff that will come in contarct with high force and acceleration when you don't know how it works
>>
>>32047519
>is it a bad idea to cast fishing weights into bullets?
Potentially. A lot of them contain enough impurities to not be worth it (particularly arsenic, which will cripple the shit out of you if you breathe too much), and the lead's generally not a very good alloy (too much tin and too little antimony, they're brittle while still being fairly soft). You also have to watch out for steel ingots (pot boil-over=fire) and zinc ingots (ruin your pot and potentially your barrel, plus toxic fumes).

You can buy linotype lead, which most moulds are set up for. Or you can buy range-scavenge lead, pre-smelted into ingots. Currently around $1.20 a pound, shipped.

Moreover, casting itself is a science, and potentially a complicated one. Getting good pours with good fill is difficult, and not all moulds are created equal.
>>
File: spurdo.png (117KB, 1024x749px) Image search: [Google]
spurdo.png
117KB, 1024x749px
>>32047544
>4chan
>a place to learn stuff
Choose, desu, choose
>>
>>32047552
these bullets should give off like half the pressure of normal 9mm cartridges
>>
>>32047519
Expect leading in the barrel unless you use the harder leads.

>>32047530
Haha, how about no.
>>
>>32047548

You can boil away the lead, too.... Its like boiling water.

If whatever impurities have a higher boiling point than lead, you'll concentrate the impurities rather than removing them.

OP just buy some Lyman's #2.

Its worth it and cheap
>>
>>32047555
where's a good place to get that range-scavenged stuff? So far it sounds like these fishing weights could have so much problems, il just scoop my savings out as impurities.
>>
>>32047561

Plenty of posters provide excellent info.

Some are trolls, granted
>>
>>32047519
>musket
do it
>anything else that isn't blackpower propelled
No
>>
>>32047569
castboolits.com forums is where I get mine, plus most places with a high concentration of ranges will have at least one guy selling it on armslist.

Alternatively you can try to clean out a range yourself.

Second alternative is wheelweight lead (same deal with steel and zinc weights applies), Accurate Moulds bases all their bullet weight approximations off wheelweight, and uncut wheelweight lead will have a Brinell in the 13-14BHN range (ideal for most non-magnum pistol loads).

Generally the less work you have to do, the more per pound it costs. Pretty much gone are the days you could buy 5-gallon buckets of takeoff wheel weights from every tire shop for twenty bucks due to EPA recycling regs, but there's still some gems to be found.
>>
>>32047519
>>32047539

??? Use your head man.
If you remove impurities than you have pur lead (in theory).
Lead bullets are still used but most are covered in cheap heavier alloy of some sort. I suggest coating your 'pure' lead bullets in brass?
>>
>>32047561
I learn more things from 4chan than from anything else
it's mostly useless information though
>>
File: 1403481470461.png (101KB, 467x516px) Image search: [Google]
1403481470461.png
101KB, 467x516px
>>32047596
Weak
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.