[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

3 Dot Tritiums

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 13

File: 1449570993220.jpg (303KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1449570993220.jpg
303KB, 1500x1000px
Why.

Like hear me out for a second.

"W"H"Y"

WHY would anyone want these on their guns? Like okay, I get it. They probably looked around on /k/ and other gun websites with people saying Glock sights or those standard white three dot sights suck and you should get some Trijicon HD's or fiber optics but goddamn there's better options.

Sure, tritium is great but they don't work for dick at daytime and you can't shoot at what you can't identify. In light, tritiums just turn into the standard annoying three dot sights but with shiny vials.

Companies like Sig, HK and CZ offer models with tritiums from some shitty non-domestic company like meprolight or whatever like fuck man.

Too many fuccbois running around with three dot tritiums they spent the extra money for instead of a red fiber optic front with a blacked rear or some Trijicon HD's.

Hopefully any prospective pistol buyers will take note of this and think twice before settling for a gun that "comes" with night sights and saves that extra money for sights that actually work.
>>
>>32046108
i find tritium sights easier to use on my duty gun in low or unstable low and i don't need to zap them with a tac light to keep them bright enough to use.

fiber optic sights dont' help at night, and a laser might have a battery fail or be bouncing around too much to keep track of, i'm very much used to the sights on top of the gun than a laser module on the accessory rail.
>>
>>32046138
*low light

also i don't know what sort of sights you have, but every tritium sight i've used has a little ring of white around each vial so they're perfectly usable in the daylight.
>>
>>32046108
tritium is fucking awesome at night dude.

you can aim at a shadowy figure before hitting the light
>>
File: 1459680380514.png (339KB, 840x476px) Image search: [Google]
1459680380514.png
339KB, 840x476px
>>32046138
>>32046145
I completely get what you're coming from but why not get something with a photoluminescent front like Trijicon HD's or one of those Ameriglo sights?
>>
>>32046164
it's called tritium backlit fiber optics bro
>>
TruGlo TFX Pro sights. Tritium and fiber optic so they're always lit up.
>>
I agree with OP. A fiber optic front is ideal, esp. with a light mounted gun.

I've put tritium 2- and 3-dots on my 2 primary carry pistols. Mistake. All my future pistols will have a simple fiber optic front.
>>
File: 1447807499664.jpg (642KB, 2200x1467px) Image search: [Google]
1447807499664.jpg
642KB, 2200x1467px
Just put a light on your guns
>>
>>32046286
Just installed these on a Glock, great sights both during the day and at night.
>>
>>32046108
The 2 best sights I've used are

HK USP full size sights.
Sig Sauer X-Ray 3 sights which happen to be night sights.

As to the answer of your question, it's so that you can see them in low light situations.

As compared to other options:
>Tritium
Will still be half as bright in 12 years but can be replaced once very 10 years to keep em good, or whatever.
>Glow in the dark sights
The front sight is in the holster usually, and so when you go to draw your gun, even if the rear sights were exposed, the front side is not going to be glowing and they're useless for low light purposes.
>Fiber Optic
Everyone I've seen does not have enough air around the front post. The "fiber optic" pieces are known to frequently fall out or break but at least you can replace them. The bigger problem is they don't work for shit. A brass nail in the place of the opaque plastic works much better. Their literally the worst sights ever made, they're terrible, their inaccurate and wouldn't have them on any gun that I own; absolutely disgusting.
>>
>plebians picking between tritium and fiber optic

Why not both.jpg
>>
File: 20161118_214450.jpg (2MB, 2268x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20161118_214450.jpg
2MB, 2268x2268px
>>32046108
1. If you get ones with a color front sight like what I have on my glawk then daytime is no worse than with original sights. Better in fact as the bright orange is more readily identifiable.

2. In low light you now have the normal sights, and the glow dots making it even easier to gain sight picture.

3. At night you have the glow dots, which when combined with a flashlight give you a huge strategic advantage over someone who can only see their front sight silhouette front their light.

4. You don't usually put these onto a competition pistol. It's more important to see you're sights at low light than be laser accurate during daylight.

5. Ambient light also makes it so you don't nessesarily need a light either.

I used to not care until I got my sig that came with them. Only reason my P230 doesn't have them is because it has a fixed front sight. They make a world of difference though, and depending on which ones you get are just as easy to see during the day (ref Sig P238). Really can't think of a reason not to buy them for any weapon that's intended for carry or home defence.

1/2
>>
>>32046453
>Sig Sauer X-Ray 3 sights which happen to be night sights.

Those are exactly what Trijicon HD's are but with a green front. So they're good in my books.
>>
>>32046453
Their... I'm just going to blame the smart phone I'm not using for those typos.
>>
File: 20161118_214129.jpg (2MB, 1979x1979px) Image search: [Google]
20161118_214129.jpg
2MB, 1979x1979px
>>32046459
2/2
>>
File: 1479525217299.jpg (71KB, 640x631px) Image search: [Google]
1479525217299.jpg
71KB, 640x631px
>>32046286
This senpai
>>
dovetail TFO sights probably aren't absolutely terrible, though I don't like them, but the ones that are staked with a post, like a Glock, they don't always sit rock solid and can wiggle slightly, maybe a fraction of a mm. Given the length of the sights, as opposed to other kinds, it can make a difference in POI at just a few yards.
Anything with a fiber optic is garbage IMO.
>>
>iron sights
>self-defense scenario

fucking what

just leave them fucking stock. in a real life self defense scenario you will almost guaranteed be shooting at them from like 6 ft away MAX. slap a cheap laser on, slap a light on (don't waste money on surefire bullshit, the extra money you'd spend on that is better spent on ammo), and you're g2g.

you aren't a fucking operator. even if you are ever in the situation where you need to pull off a precision shot with iron sights, you'll be too pumped up with adrenaline to do so safely and will just probably wind up missing and getting yourself killed or hitting a bystander and giving anti gun fucks more ammo against us.

stock sights. cheap laser. cheap light. BUY AMMO TO ACTUALLY PRACTICE WITH. all you fucking need.
>>
>>32046497
>stock sights.
sure
>cheap laser.
no dont even bother
>cheap light.
sure if you want it to break within 100 rounds
>BUY AMMO TO ACTUALLY PRACTICE WITH.
god yes
>>
File: x-ray 3 sights..png (181KB, 526x512px) Image search: [Google]
x-ray 3 sights..png
181KB, 526x512px
Compare the rounded sides of the rear sight with the square corners of the 1911 sights here >>32046469.

This overall curved shape naturally draws your eyes to the front sight.
I like plenty of air around the front post so that I can easily see "equal height; equal light", when I want to do more than point shoot.
Lastly, the dot on the front is much larger than the dot in the back, this helps pick it out in low light situations.
I don't like the curved the bottom of the notch like on the Glock here >>32046469. I don't understand why they do that?
>>
>>32046497
I carry a gun for self defense. I enjoy the gun because I like shooting tight groups at the range in a manner to put everyone else there to shame.
I like the fantasy of being able to shoot accurately enough with the gun know I could pull off crazy shots that in self defense shootings you'd never need.

Gun ownership, even your self defense gun, isn't just about self defense only. That said, a few of my guns don't have night sights. I don't care as long as the sight picture is good, that's because I don't need night sights at the range and agree with you within the limitations of realistically why I carry the gun.
>>
File: 1473012547380.png (427KB, 566x406px) Image search: [Google]
1473012547380.png
427KB, 566x406px
>>32046497
>hurp durp I can predict the parameters of a gun fight like nigga lmao nigga

Cool brah. The world is dangerous as fuck, why don't I just stay home right? Or maybe it's actually safe because in the 21 years of my life I have never had to pull a gun out and shoot someone. Fuck off prick.
>he can't afford a $40 front sight so he has to project his poorfaggyness onto others
>>
File: DSC_1215.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1215.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>32046613
I like these sights.
>>
>>32046164
Because I don't have time to shine a fucking light on my sights. Tritium is always on in low light conditions and a weapon light can be activated on the draw.

Fiber optics also have a tendency to break if you shoot enough IDPA or 3 gun.
>>
>>32046497
>getting nice sights on your gun means you aren't practicing with it
nice fallacy
>>
>>32046459
>>32046469
Way to let your wrist become disgustingly fat.
>>
File: baleebit.png (79KB, 569x563px) Image search: [Google]
baleebit.png
79KB, 569x563px
>>32046497
> slap a cheap laser on, slap a light on (don't waste money on surefire bullshit, the extra money you'd spend on that is better spent on ammo)
I love how the impoverished here can't even begin to imagine the concept of being able to afford things that aren't shit while also having plenty of ammo.
>>
>>32046638

You don't need to shine a light on your sights with fiber optics just sandcastle your sights like in this pic >>32046631

You can do the same even if the fiber optic breaks, just use the sights like all black sights.
>>
But my sights are fiber-optic with a tritium insert... I always have 3 green dots day or night and I love it.
>>
Forget low light for a sec,
Does anyone actually aim with the dots rather than the "air" around the post!?
>>
>>32046699
More like small hands. My watches are tightened down to the last 3 slots if its not a womans band.
>>
File: atsgreen.jpg (34KB, 632x800px) Image search: [Google]
atsgreen.jpg
34KB, 632x800px
>>32046355
and it is settled.
also these are neat
Advantage Tactical Sight
>>
>>32046355
I've seen maybe 1 good stippling job ever in the history of guns.
>>
>>32049281
Those look interesting. Do they take any getting used to, or are they as intuitive as something like a big dot sight?
>>
Tritium sights are fucking great in low visibility and shitty Taurus handguns have them visible enough so that they could be used efficiently during daytime.
>>
>>32046108
I have HDs and they are overrated. I wish they made sights that had the HD front with a tighter blacked out rear.
>>
>>32046497
>cheap laser. cheap light.

Don't buy cheap shit. If you can't pony up good money for good products. Otherwise you are just wasting your money.
>>
>>32046108
my police trade-in came with them, they're nice to have but I wouldn't go out of my way have them on a handgun because if you're shooting blind in the dark without a light of some kind you've already fucked up.
>>
>>32046108

its called jury insurance you dumb fuck.
if you live in commiefornia and shoot an intruder youll most likely go to court over it and the intruders family will want your nuts.
the prosecutor will try to say you didnt know what you were shooting at and maimed the guy....blah blah blah
BUT you fortunately had glow in the dark sights and knew exactly where you were aiming.
>>
>>32046108
Why the fuck are night sights so expensive?
>>
>>32046355
What sights? The raised ones?
>>
>>32046355
>implying i don't already have a light on my gun
The tritium sights still make it easier to aim, even with the light.
>>
>>32046459
What glock sights are these?
>>
>>32046108
t. guy who has never had a gun with tritium sights

they work fine in the day as standard three dot sights and are invaluable in low / no light situations. I have tritium sights on my G21 and 590A1, also one of my ARs (ACOG).

The only negative of tritium sights is that other people can see them too so if you are trying to hide or sneak in the dark with your pistol or shotgun out they can give away your position even if they dont have NVGs but especially if they do.
>>
>>32046497
>he doesn't understand how adrenaline works
Here's your (You)
>>32047293
Also this.
>>
>>32048305
And what if you have to aim at something that isn't a lit computer screen?
>>
File: see all sight nite.jpg (110KB, 1000x665px) Image search: [Google]
see all sight nite.jpg
110KB, 1000x665px
>>32049428
no clue, just shoppin around
another interesting option
See All sight w/tritium
>>
Why don't you fags just wear night vision goggles.
If it's dark out, not like anybody is going to see you anyway.
>>
>>32046108
>Sure, tritium is great but they don't work for dick at daytime and you can't shoot at what you can't identify. In light, tritiums just turn into the standard annoying three dot sights but with shiny vials.
There is a wide variety of light levels between daylight and pitch black darkness. It is for low light conditions.
>>
>>32049281
HAHAHAHA, what the fuck

I bet those are actually better than they look
>>
>>32050314
80 dollars is not expensive. Basic sights that are not OEM are about 50 bucks.
>>
>>32046497
>poorfag
>has never drawn his weapon on someone
>has never taken any handgun courses
>has never been in a shooting

You have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>32050392

I was assuming with fiber optic sights a weapon mounted or hand held light would be at play.
>>
>>32046108
I had them year ago, never put another set on a gun again. I've since gone to fiber optic sights. Even the smallest bit of light will light them up.
>>
>>32053003
and? unless the flashlight is being held behind your sights then it's still difficult to pick up your sights in low/no light.
>>
>>32046108
This thread sucks and you're a faggot. Everyone in your high school English classes suffered for having you in their class.
>>
>>32046459
>Dat 92D
That is my fetish
>>
>>32049281
They really need to cut out 1/2-2/3 of the rear. That's a bit too much. I love that style of sight but I'll stick with my XS standard for that sweet sweet lollipop action
>>
>>32049470
So buy the HD front and pic a rear that has the same dovetail. It's not that hard to mix and match. Also Proctor Y notch
>>
>>32046108
>you can't shoot at what you can't identify
This meme needs to die. There are many natural lighting types and situations where you wouldn't need a 10,000 lumen Streamlight to know that the nigger pointing a knife at you wants to cut you if you don't hand him your wallet, but where normal painted sights wouldn't be bright enough to see.
>>
>>32046108
my wife's sig 238 has them. I prefer the night sights on my Kimber
>>
>>32051232
How often do you walk around with NVGs?

Imaging telling everyone to hold on "jus one minute" while you dig out your NVGs
>>
>>32046335
This fampai. I put TFX Pro sights on my P01 and it makes a hell of a difference. The stock sights were way too small (for my liking) to begin with, let alone being without tritium or fiber optic.
>>
>>32046108
Glock sights really do suck though.
>>
>>32046108
Yeah I know right? Fuck tritium sights.
Phosphorus all the way.
>>
>>32046497
What's the point of even practicing if all you're capable of it shooting at 6 feet away under stress? At that distance it's next to impossible to miss even without sights.
>>
>>32051276
And why not just tag them with a light?
>>
>>32046286
bro where do you find yours? i have been looking for a set of green/green tritium fibre combo with an adjustable rear for my 1911 but i havent been able to find shit online to match that
>>
>>32050314

Tritium is a byproduct of nuclear reactors.
>>
>>32054575
The sights I looked at were not wide enough, and didn't have a ledge to rack it. I also have an HK, so sight options are limited.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.