[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cheap Pump Action Shotgun Thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (5KB, 445x113px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5KB, 445x113px
Allright, here's the situation I'm in the market for a truck gun.

I want something cheap, reliable, and 12 gauge. 18.5 inch barrel, leaning towards just a plain bead, but GRS could be fine too... Traditional Stock.

I don't want to have any emotional attachment to it whatsoever. Its going to live under my back seat and will likely rust and or get stolen by Tyrone.

I have nice shotguns and ARs, So I'm agnostic on what brand/control setup is best (own a 1300, 37, 500, 590, and a couple 870s, along with a 1201fp) and I can adapt to whatever.

There seems to be 3 major players in this market (sub 250 for the gun).

1. Maverick 88 (500)
2. Stevens 320 (1300)
3. IAC Hawk/NEF Pardner (870)

All are based on a proven (to me) design.

Then there are the other guns:

Stevens 350 (37)
RIA M5 (Flite-King)

Is there one that is clearly superior in this range for my application?

Personal Experience with multiple models?

Pic Somewhat Related: Its a IAC Hawk that someone put nice furniture on.

Also whatever Generalized Scattergun Thread....
>>
My brother has an RIA M5. I've shot it on a number of occasions.

I think it's a very underrated shotgun, and I suspect the reason is because it has virtually no aftermarket. That said, all the reviews saying it has the best slide on the market are 100% true.

All in all, it's a great poorfag or beater shotgun.
>>
>>32045990
Own 7+1 maverick. A+ would recommend.
>>
>>32045990
the 500 and 870 knockoffs are the only ones you should be looking at.
the reason being when something breaks you can easily source real rem/mossberg components to replace them with.
if something breaks on the others you have to rely on their warranties and the parts get replaced with the same cheap components.
the 37 clone is shit. the 320 had issues with the forend welds breaking. m5 isnt horrible but the 870/500 design is simply better. if you like the features that come with the m5 get the m5 but its upgrade potential is minimal.
>>
>>32046045

Its going to be very basic... Basic "Silent Sling", Side Saddle (because the shotgun is a hungry bitch of a weapon) and that's about it, maybe a tritium or fiber optic front sight.

That said, I was leaning 500/870 clone because of what you said about parts, but was intrigued by the smoothness of the M5 and 320 (because I really like how my 1300 feels).

>>32046038

Well, thats the curse of a truck gun. If it stays in a vehicle its likely to suffer a bad fate. I just like to make peace with it beforehand and not sacrifice something nicer or something that wouldn't already be common for Tyrone to have.

>>32046021

Noted, and why I mentioned it... I heard the M5 was very nice.

>>32046035

Noted.
>>
>>32046109
the m5 is passable if the 500/870 is off the table. its an ok choice. the 320s only good point is they get ridiculously cheap like $140 but its not a good gun. the 1300 themselves were guns made as cheap as possible to compete with moss/rem. the knockoff cuts all the corners.
>>
>>32046109
i realize the idea is simplicity and cost, but for a vehicle weapon i implore you to get a weapons light.
>>
Get the Maverick. Almost the same quality as a standard 500. I'd put something on the finish though, like a coat of CLP. That's the one thing that definitely is shittier than the standard 500. Not a problem if it's gonna be in your house, but out in your truck all the time it might develop rust sooner or later.
>>
The Maverick 88 really is a good deal for a new shotgun. Its literally just a 500 with a crossbolt safety and no tapped receiver. Same fit & finish as the 500.

The Pardner Pump / Hawk or a used 870 is a great choice too. Just you may have issues with the PP.
>>
More expensive, but if you're going to trust you life to it, 870 Express synthetic stock or Mossberg 500 synthetic stock can be had brand new for less than $400. Slap a light on it and for less than $500 you're good to go.
>>
>>32045990
Police tradein 870. I use one as a HD gun, and I honestly couldn't be happier with it.
>>
>>32045990
My 320 was very picky about ammo, I would not buy another one.

However the 88's and Pardner's I've shot ran nicely.
>>
anyone have experience with dickinson shotguns?
>>
The maverick is the best for the money shoots straight especially with some slugs
>>
File: 1479471284948.jpg (59KB, 736x551px) Image search: [Google]
1479471284948.jpg
59KB, 736x551px
>>32046295
>trusting your life with a new 870 express
With remmington's QC the way it is and the rust issues, OP would be better off with a chink 870 clone than an express.
>>
>>32046471
What about the police magnum models? I don't hear about them often, only that expresses are massive piles of shit.
>>
Pump action shotguns are all pretty good at going bang, for what you want I would suggest getting the cheapest used one in decent condition you can find.
The maverick 88 is probably the highest quality of what you have listed but it's not so much better than the others that I wouldn't get a different one to save $50
>>
>>32047754
Police Magnums are fine, they have higher QC since they could be police guns. The got better quality parts too like a machined extractor unlike the interested metal one on the express

The chinese clones of the 870 have better metallurgy than the new expresses,

Idk how much they are on sale, but I am seeing them for $500+ online, seems like a shitty deal.
If you can get a $250 ish surplus one than that would be good.

You can get a top of the line mossberg 590a1 with the marine finish for the same price as a new police magnum. The maverick 88 is plenty good for the price though.

I would rather get a mossberg vs a new police magnum since you have a lot of options, mav 88,500,590,590a1 and all of them are priced pretty reasonably and are all very good.
>>
I shoot a Maverick 88 for USPSA Multi Gun. Threw a side saddle on it and an elastic shell holder on the stock for a total of 16+1 rounds on the gun.
No malfunctions, misfeeds, etc. Last match I let another shooter use it the whole time, and the match previous to that, I let two guys who were sharing a shotgun use it for half the match after theirs went down (kept popping primers out of slugs) and still had no issues.

Swapped out the 18" barrel for a 24" barrel with swappable chokes, which ads another ~$150, so I should've initially just bought a nicer boomstick. Hindsight is 20/20. Also, the finish on the it isn't great. Must've grabbed the tube while moving something in the safe and not realized it, because the next time I pulled the Maverick out, the tube was speckled with surface rust. Take care of it and it will take care of you.
>>
>>32045990

I owned an IAC Hawk, it was a decent gun, and for $220? Sheeee-it homie, it's a great deal. I sold it and put the money toward a Benelli M2, because I wanna be fancy schmany and I got a decent job now. For a broke ass buster like yourself I'd recommend the IAC Hawk, though.
>>
>>32045990
I got a winchester SXP for like 150 with a full set of chokes 28" Barrel, Never had a problem shooting anything in my life out of it. Only down side is it only accepts up to 3 inch, would like to have 3 1/2 but whatever
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.