[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metal Polishing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 20161111_220237.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20161111_220237.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
What would /k/ recommend to me for finely polishing steel surfaces?

I'm looking for something I can use without hand tools or equipment.

I have a bolt sleeve to a Schmidt-Rubin that has scuffsome that are making the action very rough to operate, and need to polish them out.

Pic related
>>
>>32031212
Help
>>
>>32031212
Bump for interest
>>
File: 578206.jpg (33KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
578206.jpg
33KB, 880x660px
>>32031212
this and a clean dry cloth
>>
>>32031470
That'll buff out the scratches?
>>
>>32031212
>>32031624
It's pretty crazy right? I wonder why they call it "polishing compound", couldn't be that it's a compound that polishes could it?
>>
File: TheBestShitEver.jpg (7KB, 305x165px) Image search: [Google]
TheBestShitEver.jpg
7KB, 305x165px
This stuff polishes fucking everything man. I've been using it every time anything need to get shiny. it works so well that for a couple hours after shining, my brass drill cane looks like white gold
>>
>>32031212

Wet/dry sandpaper. Try to find a kit with multiple levels of abrasiveness . Using polishing compound will make the surface shiny but it won't get rid of deep scratches like that.
>>
>>32034063
That's what I was worried about buying the buffing compound.

What kind of grit should I look for?
>>
>>32034123

https://www.amazon.com/48PCS-Paper-Sandpaper-Assorted-Sheet/dp/B01IVQRTHG

Start with 600 and use your judgement to work up or down from there.
>>
>>32034123
The scratches look bad but not that bad. 150-200 grit and increase to 400 or so, then polish

Buy good sandpaper, the cheap stuff will cost you more in the long run because you need to use more. Norton 3x is what I use, though I'm primarily a woodworker so I can't say too well on how it works on metal.
>>
>>32034170
>>32034172

My only reservation about doing it myself is that I worry that there's something in that retardedly long and difficult to reach receiver that caused the scuffs. The bolt was smooth as butter when I bought it, but after cleaning and oiling it, it got roughed up.
>>
>>32034228
This is why you post the whole problem at the start OP, not slowly dribble it out. Take your gun to a gunsmith.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.