[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gun Safe Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (37KB, 390x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
37KB, 390x500px
I'm looking for ideas on a gun safe. I currently own several long guns and two handguns, and I'm just shoving them under my bed.

I am specifically looking for something fire and tamper proof that can hold a few ammo cans and around potentially 6-10 guns.

Price range is between $800 and $1200. Weight is not much an issue, but more than 500 pounds is too much, as I'll be moving within the next year or so anyways.
>>
>>32029362
Bump
>>
>>32029362
Fireproof is a meme. Shits still gonna cook in there like it's an oven. Only point to a safe is to keep children away from your guns.
>>
>>32029362
Im in the same boat, honestly dude just wait until you move to a more permanent location. Do you have a dog? Keeping someone out of your house is a good first step to not getting robbed. Second good step is not telling anyone you have guns under your bed.
>>
>>32029423
That's true. Plus my house is concrete so a fire is pretty unlikely unless a jet plows into it.

Any suggestions that are mostly tamper proof, then?
>>
>>32029431
I have no dog, so no ATF but also no security whatsoever.

All the people who know I own guns are family, who also own guns, so there's that.
>>
>>32029434
If a burgler wants to get into it, they will. Unless you pay retard amounts of money, even the best safe you get will only be a couple mm thick steel. Can cut through that with a grinder or torch pretty darn quick.

Just look for one with a quality code lock (for easy access) that has a key backup (because common sense).

I saw a pretty decent modular one on a YouTube video a while back, I'll try find the make for you
>>
>>32029529
Is it the SecureIt 52? I liked the look of that one, but you're absolutely right. I'm sure if someone wants it, they'll get it.
>>
>>32029423
>shits still gonna cook in there...

hes not storing ice cubes, you subway sandwich autist, hes storing hunks of formed metal.

>fireproof is a meme

independent agencies like UL rate and certify the fire protection rating of a container/safe

a metal gun with metal components can withstand several hundred degrees. If the fireproofing keeps the internal temperature of the safe within an acceptable temp range until the FD can control the fire, it could mean the difference between replacing just a leupold Mk4 and replacing the whole Barrett M82A1 it's mounted on.
>>
>>32029595
Yeah, that's the one.
Would like to get one of my own, but shipping it to Australia (where safes are mandatory) would cost as nearly as much as the purchase itself.
>>
>>32029529
obviously, but most burglaries are snatch and grabs. a $1k safe is enough to protect against that.

the important thing to look for in a safe is floor/wall mounts.

mount it in the corner of a closet somewhere and bolt it to the floor/wall in such a manner where you can't get an angle on it with a crowbar or whatever to pry it free
>>
File: last night's storm.jpg (25KB, 298x175px) Image search: [Google]
last night's storm.jpg
25KB, 298x175px
>>32029362

Do not listen to the retard poorfags that recommend steel gun cabinets, those are fucking worthless and you are safer trying to just hide your guns.

You can get a Liberty Centurion for less than a grand and it's fireproof, has a mechanical lock with hard plate to protect against drilling, and it's designed well enough that a junkie will be unable to pop it open with a screwdriver or walk away with it.

>inb4 BUT THEY CAN STILL GID IN IT :ddd
Yeah no shit, people can also get into Fort Knox if you give them enough time. The point is to make it such a pain in the ass where they would have to spend a shitload of time, and make a shitload of noise, in order to realistically be able to get inside, which would both act as a deterrent and buy time for the police to (hopefully) arrive.
>>
>>32029362
Either get a real safe (at least TL-15 rated) or just get a gun cabinet.

>>32029677
Just don't put ammo in there

>>32029529
>key backup
>common sense

A child can pick these locks.
>>
>>32029763
thank goodness most niggers arent as smart as children
>>
if you weren't moving I'd recomend a sturdy safe,they're expensive and heavy tho
>>
>>32029677
>hes not storing ice cubes, you subway sandwich autist, hes storing hunks of formed metal.

Then he still doesn't need to be concerned whether it's fireproof or not, does he you mentally deficient dick-neck
>>
File: tumblr_mtdpuuGrAT1sh9319o1_500.gif (487KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mtdpuuGrAT1sh9319o1_500.gif
487KB, 500x281px
>>32029677
>Barrett M82A1
>>
>>32029423
This.
>>
Safes are a meme. Don't advertise to the world that you own guns. Keep them in some kind of metal locker.

None of my neighbors know I own guns and I don't post them on social media. I keep them in a cheap metal locker mounted to studs in my closet. I only care about preventing casual smash-and-grabs. I've got vidya game consoles and a nice TV right out in the open as sacrificial items.
>>
>>32030229
Yeah because a gun cabinet doesn't advertise that you have guns at all, right?

I currently only have some shitty gun cabinet from Walmart, but that's because I live in the third floor of an apartment building and I doubt my landlord would be OK with me drilling holes in the floor, if I could even get a safe up the stairs. The first thing I'm buying when I move into a proper house is a big ass gunsafe.
>>
>>32029423
fire proof is an excuse to put drywall between two thin sheets of metal and call it a safe.
>>
>>32029362
OP here.

I'm currently renting a house, and will probably be renting better than average shitholes for the foreseeable future. I can't do the "wall safe" thing, so a steady, in between weights safe or cabinet is really what I need.

All of your advice, ranging from shitpost to real post, is appreciated. I'm stuck between an American Security and Mesa safe atm, but also the SecureIt looks nice for my needs.

Also, I can't bolt shit down, since I rent a house with hardwood floors.
>>
>>32030284
It's in my bedroom closet, not my fucking patio. It's only going to advertise "guns!" to someone already in my house, and if that's the case it means I'm not home and a $3000 safe isn't going to stop them.

Where I live the problem is meth heads stealing bikes from garages and shit, not professionals running heists.
>>
>>32029529
a burglar probably won't bother with a safe that looks heavy duty/is too heavy for 2-3 guys to lift. especially when there's going to be easy-grab TVs, computers, vidya game systems, and other items with perceived fast-cash value throughout your home. Someone that's resorted to b&e as a viable option will not be thinking rationally
>>
>>32029745
>spend a shitload of time
If by shitload of time you mean ten minutes with hand tools. If they (or you) have an angle grinder then not even. It's just another fireproof memesafe with a nice paint job. Better than nothing but the faith people put in the brand is unfounded. RSCs are pretty much the same.
>>
>>32031765
then you are talking about professional burglars. most homeless and junkies doing smash and grabs are not going to bring angle grinders and plasma torches, they are going to throw a rock through your window or sliding glass door and walk in, look for cash and jewelery to pawn, and if they think they can carry it out, laptops and tvs
>>
>>32031765
>>32031811
and i would argue that you are more at risk from the casual junkies and teenage degenerate youths, than a professional burglar or burglar team.

obviously they exist, but the guys who dress up as movers and bring a crew of 3-4 guys in a uhaul with tools up to your driveway are the minority of most burglaries
>>
>>32031811
Its ten minutes for a pry bar (which any junkie can have access to), next to nothing for a grinder. Also how exactly does a power tool imply "professional burger"?
>>
also, own a dog. a dog that barks is one of the most ideal deterrents for theft and burglary you can get. and they are awesome for so many reasons besides security. also have a security camera system, these act as a deterrent as well as help you recover your stolen shit. if you have a home alarm use it. if you live in an apartment or similar shithole, be very discreet when you transport your firearms so people dont know you have them in the first place
>>
>>32031832
You can also protect yourself from smash and grabs at a fraction of the price of a liberty. They make RSCs on par with any other, but they charge a huge premium because they paint it nice, and muh fireproofing. My issue is with the brand, not the concept, and the fact that people put so much faith in them.
>>
>>32031846
im not the guy advocating cheap gun cabinets, sorry, i didnt read the post you were replying to above.

i am saying that you should have a real gun safe, with the locking bars and thick steel. that way you are safe from the largest percentage of burglaries.

a $99 stack-on is fine for keeping your 5 year olds out of the guns, but yeah any junkie with a crowbar is going to have no problem popping that door open.

anyone can get into a top of the line safe, but it is going to take much more time and patience and equipment. if your safe is securely bolted in a corner of a closet, its hard to use a plasma torch in cramped quarters
>>
File: images (5).jpg (10KB, 222x227px) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
10KB, 222x227px
>>32029362
The most effective defense against burglars is going to be a moderately heavy safe (takes at least 4 guys to lift while full) UPSTAIRS. bolt it if you can, mine isn't bolted. The second thing you need is a camera system with an app on your phone like canary or the Verizon one that sends you alerts on your phone when you set the camera to "away" mode. It has about a ten second live feed delay, and some you can even speak to the burglars through the camera. Mine has this feature as well as a very loud siren. It can also contact the police for you, but if someone is breaking in I'd prolly call the police first and tell them my daughter is home and the men are armed and have thier cocks out. Then I'd use the intercom and siren and announce the self destruct procedures for the house and the total incineration of the "evidence room" and "dungeon" start a countdown from 30.
>>
>>32031889
Stack on is definitely bottom of the barrel.

Whatever you have for storage insurance should never be neglected.
>>
>>32029362
Browning YG-20 is the best safe in that price range IMO
>>
>>32030825
>I can't do the "wall safe" thing
You might want to talk to the landlord - either you put it in, take it out and close the gap by the time you leave, or you just put it in and leave it there as a compensation when your lease is up. Reasonable people are negotiable.
>>
The majority of guns that are locked in safes are not lost due to fire or theft. They are destroyed by flooding. Weather a pipe breaks and your basement fills up or that river down the street goes over the banks remember that water will destroy your guns easily and the safe is worthless against that.
>>
I just bought renters insurance. $94/year for $10,000 coverage.
>>
>>32032755
OP here again, I have renter's. I'd prefer not to have to use it, desu.

But I guess if that's my coverage, fuck it.

>>32031979
My landlord is an old lady. I guess I could just bolt it in a closet and deny anytime she claims did it til she dies.
>>
>>32032650
unless i make my safe water tight.
>>
I'm in the market for a safe. Since I'm constantly moving, I want something that is easy to move, so a SecureIt Six gun safe seems like a good choice for me. The only problem I see is the price for what you get. Anybody have any experience with these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbUiktCEAIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9WVSeQ71Yo
>>
>>32033080

you might be better off with a lightweight locking cabinet or something similar, bonus points if you can hide it. combine that with a security system like simplisafe thats all wireless so you dont have to keep drilling and wiring.
>>
>>32031889
I think best approach is multi tier
>reinforced door and windows to prevent easy kick ins
>the less people who know your business, the less ears it reaches
>a solid safe, bolted down, in an area that's difficult to use tools
>home security alarm so that cops are called, giving whoever working on your safe less time
>be on good terms with neighbors, they might actually catch something suspicious going on and report it
>insurance
>>
>>32032650
I thought there are water tight safes out there?
>>
>>32033164
neighbors is huge. im friends with my neighbors and we all watch each others back, help each other picking up papers from the front stoop if someone goes on vacation, that kind of thing. be on phone number terms with your neighbors so they can give you a call and double check if they see something odd.

>hey anon, its your neighbor, i know you are at work because i saw you leave this morning and your car is still gone, were you expecting company from a beat up rusty mustang 5.0 donked out with 40 inch front wheels?
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.