[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many calories are in a 223 round? Asking for a friend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5

File: FB_IMG_1476304452474.jpg (15KB, 448x227px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1476304452474.jpg
15KB, 448x227px
How many calories are in a 223 round? Asking for a friend
>>
>>32028646
Around 430 calories, if you take E0 as 1800 joules.
>>
>>32028653
This. Take it easy on them OP, you'll get fat.
>>
>>32028653
that's 430 cals with a little 'c'

its only 0.430 (though going by SS109 which admittedly is 5.56, it's only 0.422) KiloCals, or Calories with a capital 'C' -- the Calories you see on the back of your snickers bar are actually these
>>
>>32029173
in other words, there is more energy in a single tic tac than there is in a rifle bullet
>>
>>32028646
about 64g give or take.
>>
>>32029173
Based on a 2000 Calorie diet, that means you would need to feed 4740 rounds to your ar-15 daily. Otherwise you are starving it, and are a cruel owner.
>>
>>32029315
I can't afford to feed my rifle ;_;
>>
>>32029323

You're a bad parent, we're going to your house to take your rifle away from you
>>
>>32029315
No it goes off average weight
>>
>>32029315
>2000 kcal/day
How crazy heavy IS your rifle even?
>>
>>32029499
>not having a manlet sized ar-15
>>
>>32029552
The TDEE for a raifu of 39 inches and 7 lbs is a whooping 819 kcal a day. Fuck outta here unless you're using some ridiculous drum mags and have every millimeter of rail space full of lead weights.
>>
There are 77,330,836,890 kcal of mass energy in a standard 55-grain .223 round
>>
How much is a 50 bmg.??
>>
>>32029993
So how much should you feed your bang stick?
>>
>>32031754
Well, mine's 1 y/o, weighs about 8 lb, lives a sedentary life, and is about 3 feet long, so I should be feeding her 524 kcal a day. Since M855 has a projectile energy of around 0.422 kcal, that's about 1240 rounds a day.

I'll just call raifu protection services myself. She deserves better than this.
>>
>>32028653
>SS109 62gr bullet
Actually it's a bit more, if you consider how much energy in average it took to make the metal (copper in this case) from ore.

For a 62gr copper bullet, that would be 400 000 joules Emfg + 1800 joules of E0.

Source: http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/what-is-the-embodied-energy-of-materials.html
>>
>>32029210

This kind of shit has always astounded me. The energy involved in a human body when compared to explosives.

Like for example, 1 pound of fat has as much energy as 7 pounds of TNT. Seems horrifying to me.
>>
>>32032767
It's got way more energy than that if you use E=MC^2
>>
>>32034048
Yea. One 62 grain bullet alone has a fuckton of power if only it was possible through a fission.

We are talking here about no other than Albert Einstein and his formula for nuke power.

Here:

E=mc^2
E= (0,004)*(300000000)^2
E= 360000000000000 joules

..also a truth about nuclear energy, because this really is it.

It's insane.

E=mc^2.
>>
I still don't know if this thread is just fucking around or if you guys are serious. Half of this stuff makes sense and the other half is Greek to me, I've got no earthly idea if it's bullshit.
>>
>>32036633
The math is good but the questions are absurdisms.
>>32032767
Explosive has to carry it's own oxidizer, so it's not very energetic per gram.

It's just a lot more abrupt about releasing that energy.
>>
>>32034048
>>32036401
Yea if you could fission any matter a la enders game you could have a weapon so powerful it literally couldn't be used but in the vacuums of space
>>
>>32032767
in addition to overall energy, you want to look at power, J/s, or watts.
>>
>>32036633
M8, I've seen tech and science going above my head and leaving me stupid. In a first go.

I've been lucky to have cool educated guys around me to tell me if I'm at first place doing it right, but also explaining it to me in plain English why I'm doing this job.

There has been guys (and there still is) who also were ready to fill me up with all sorts of things I didn't pay attention to when I was in highschool. Math, physics, chemistry. But they especially taught me how to find information and how to be critical about it.

I can tell already that this thread really handles the math and physics. Joules are real, imperial grain conversion to SI grams is real, calories and kilocalories are real, Einstein and his formula is real.

The amount of energy can be insanely crazy. Just calculate the values according to the what you got.

How to handle the nuke power is another story. Look at the buildings and how big they are. That's where they handle it. That's where it gets real.
>>
>>32036748
>Yea if you could fission any matter
Kek, you don't want your vapour trails in atmophere to be one continuous nuclear reaction anymore than I do.
>>
>>32036947
I knew this stuff like kcals and e=mc^2 and all that, but I thought you guys were just making shit up about bullets actually having caloric value. This is why I leave this shit to smarter people than I.
>>
>>32037047
Dude, don't leave but face it. Do some bodybuilding for your brain.

All these things are just a way to make sense about them. Really, that's what these things are. To make sense about things. To give them at least some form that can be treated in a sane manner. Sanity is the big deal here. Please Don't forget it. Please.
>>
>>32037047
calorie is just a unit of engery and can be used interchangeably between joules, kJ/mol, eV, Eh, 1/cm, Hz, ect.

As long as you know the conversions between them they're all just different notations for energy that make specific calculations more convenient for day to day applications.

Chemist/Gunsmith ask me anything.
>>
>>32037409
Where can I learn about this stuff without going back to school? Its interesting but I'm not good at math.
>>
>>32037433
>Where can I learn about this stuff without going back to school?

Google/YouTube/library

>Its interesting but I'm not good at math.

That's bullshit anyone can learn math.

You won't learn anything of value without knowing basic Algebra and Trigonometry. Learn those first and then you can pretty much understand most of basic physics and chemistry.

Biology you can just start reading about.

If you want any real understanding of the sciences the price is time, always time.
>>
File: gadget.jpg (4MB, 5573x4389px) Image search: [Google]
gadget.jpg
4MB, 5573x4389px
>>32036947
Nuclear reactions are utterly terrifying.

>>32037433
You could try reading the Feynman Lectures.
>>>http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/
This is university-level physics, but Feynman was pretty good at explaining things.
>>
>>32037409

Wait what?

1/cm isn't a unit of energy

Hz isn't a unit of energy

What are you talking about?
>>
>>32037703
1 inverse cm = 1.986x10^23 Joules

1 Hz = 6.626x10^-34 Joules

http://users.mccammon.ucsd.edu/~dzhang/energy-unit-conv-table.html
>>
>>32037433
Get a job in an environment where you are surrounded by practical nerds. Nuclear, Air Force, Navy

Even better, apply for a job in Los Alamos, Sandia, NASA.

Nerds are notorious in talking to people only at their level, however anyone will do in a bad place. Ok, that's good.

But if you get a real nerd to teach you (and in those places they exist in abundance), be prepare to get overhelmed. But, in a couple of months when the info sinks in, just sitting at their coffee table may improve (or damage, kek) a common professional man to heights he never knew there is.

You'll know those bits and pieces are absolutely correct. However you won't graduate with those, but you will fucking know more about the universe, energy, materials, weirdness, project management, budgets, etc than anyone you know. You even may end up befriending a Nobel prize winner while serving him/her in the laboratory.
>>
>>32037763
>>32037703
I forgot to mention this is in reference to electromagnetic radiation
>>
>>32037047
Caloric value yes. Nutritional value not so much. Would not recommend, but I'm not your dietitian.
>>
>>32037778
It doesn't matter what you are in reference to.

Hz = 1 / time

1/cm = 1 / length

Just sayin.
>>
>>32037635
>Feynman was pretty good at explaining things.

Feynman was good in explaining things if you already knew quite a lot about those things.

However he was able to tell about thoughts and ideas no one else had talked about before.

Feynman maybe "fed" and "ignited" about a thousand or more students in total to come up with their own ideas and businesses. That was his power.

Richard Feynman was always looking for new ways of thinking and new ways of solving problems, and that he really delivered to his students.
>>
>>32037778
At a minimum bro you know kJ/mol is not a unit of energy. You can't convert a J to kJ/mol
>>
>>32037803
You don't know much about Quantum Mechanics do you?

wavenumber(cm^-1)=frequency/speed of light

E=h*c*wavenumber

>>32037838
amount of energy in a given amount of mass
>>
>>32037838
Except mole has no unit. It's just a number. To convert from J to kJ/mol, you divide by one thousand and multiply by Avogadro's constant.
>http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=energy+of+snickers+bar+in+kJ%2Fmol
>>
>>32037635
>>32037837
Yeah the Feynman Lectures aren't really very introductory. They're best as a review tool for people who already know what's going on.
>>
>>32037866

So you have to multipy 1/cm by two other constants with different units to arrive at a unit of energy?

Also, kJ/mol is not a unit of energy. It still needs to reference something else, which means is cannot be a unit.

Sorry dude Hz is not a unit of energy either.
>>
File: OPAL_Reactor.jpg (123KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
OPAL_Reactor.jpg
123KB, 800x600px
>>32037635
>Terrifying
That's a funny way to spell cool
>>
>>32037912
You don't know what you're talking about. Just because something is not a standard unit on it's own does not mean it is not mean it isn't able to be equivalent to it.

c = νλ
E = hν

energy(E), wavelength(λ) and frequency(ν) are all equivalent and if you have one you know the rest.
>>
>>32037950
Dude I don't think you know what a unit is.

As unit doesn't need to reference anything else.

No equations. No constants. No multiplying.

Joule is a unit of energy. Hz, kJ/mol, and 1/cm are not units of energy.

But since you explained to OP how easy it is to convert these units, can you convert 1 calorie to Hz? I'd love to know the answer to this.
>>
>>32037975
1 cal = 4.1868 j = 2.77x10-33 Hz, the frequency of a wavelength that is equivalent to that amount of energy.
>>
>>32037635

>Nuclear reactions are utterly terrifying.

Fak you, join us and start to talk about molten salt reactors. Thorium will rule.

Check this out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbyr7jZOllI

There are a lot of those videos, all pretty much sane.

The fun thing is that this is actually /k/, an offspring of a nuclear powered bomber aircraft project where the bomber was ditched but they actually made this reactor and ran it for quite a while in Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) facility.

You can't make nuclear devices from the byproducts of this type of reactor. Instead you can make effective cancer medicines of many types from the byproducts of this reactor.

And it is a walk-away safe. The only type of nuclear reactor there would be. And it can't explode. It simply can't.

Why we don't have these today
1) takes back to Nixon who decided it so
2) takes back to thing that solid core pressurized water uranium reactors produce material for nuclear weapons
3) was simply not understood. It was not understood, simple as that.

India and China are going for Thorium reactor. Once they get it running reliably, everyone will buy that tech from them. Goodbye USA and Westinghouse.
>>
>>32038035
Me next.

If I threw a ball with 100J of energy, how many kJ/mol is that?
>>
>>32038080
0.1Kj acted on every mol of ball.
>>
>>32037975
actually in SI units, each unit refers to at least two other self-referential units

a degree is the amount of energy it takes to raise one ml of water by 1/100th of its way from one unit of degree to another. one ml of water is defined as one cm^3 of water, but one cm is defined as the length of one face of a perfect cube of water
>>
>>32038096
Unit of energy is energy per moles of ball.

Lel

How many kJ/mol are there in a 1W electic signal produced for 1 second?
>>
>>32038116
A degree is a unit of temperature, not a unit of energy.

If have a cup of water at 50 degrees and a truckbed of water at 49 degrees, which has more energy?
>>
>>32038122
Are you just going to keep making examples all night because I'm pretty sure I could do a thousand conversions and your uneducated ass would still be arguing.

Go read a book.
http://halas.rice.edu/conversions
>>
>>32038122
>per moles of ball.
>ball
not an SI unit, fuckface

anyway this entire thread is stupid since "calories" are calculated by labs who specialize in measuring how much energy is in food in terms of useful products once eaten, mostly in terms of useful vitamins and volume of indegestible fibre, not arbitrary energy potential in an object "burned" in 100% ideal conditions of breaking each atomic relationship with zero energy loss
>>
>>32038144
which has more degrees of temperature?

ive been drinking so i made an honest mistake -- a degree is a measure of energy... dependent on the substance. one calorie is what i mentioned, one calorie is the energy required to raise some volume of water up one degree (i forget if its one l or one ml but either way its meaningless to the energy of a .223 round)
>>
>>32038145
Yeah I thought I'd ask you about the electric signal energy in units of kJ/mol cause I'm pretty sure you can't answer it.
>>
>>32038122
>/mol
mol of what you fucking retarded yankee

kys yourself
>>
>>32038164
Cool. Watcha drinking?

In all seriousness if 1 teaspoon of jizz was converted to pure energy, how many people could I kill?
>>
>>32038197
That's my point.
>>
>>32038201
>Cool. Watcha drinking?
"beer"

>In all seriousness if 1 teaspoon of jizz was converted to pure energy, how many people could I kill?
not very many since even if you had a perfect conversion you'd still need to use it to power something that would be probably very inefficient, and the calculation of "Jizz-To-Kills" would be difficult to even define because arbitrary damage to flesh is not easily defined in SI units, even assuming you could get something like "Jizz-To-'Muzzle Energy' "

to get back to OP, the question of "how many calories are in a .223 round" is only reasonably answerable in terms of how much is in a .223 round that you can burn to increase temperature in something else, which isn't a lot (because powder burns so fast and so much of the round is stuff you can't really burn, or to burn would be a net loss of energy) or in terms of chemical energy you'd get from eating it as a human being or other typical animal, which is also not a lot, because gunpowder is literally inedible and poisonous and literally HazMat and proper pieces of metal are even harder on your tract.

>>32038205
kys drumpf supporting CTR basterd
>>
>>32038218
Answer 223 = 8.8 confirmed faps
>>
>>32038116
>one cm is defined as the length of one face of a perfect cube of water
Where did you hear this? One centimeter is 1/100 of a meter. One meter is currently defined as the distance light in a vacuum travels in 1/299792458 of a second. Past definitions were based on other stuff, but nothing involved cubes of water.
>>
>>32038218
>gunpowder is ... literally HazMat
FUCKING PROVE IT YOU NOGUNS BRADY BUNCH PIECE OF SHIT
>>
>>32038236
Calculated that 1 gram matter is 21.5 kilotons tnt of pure energy.

So when I jizz it is about 5 Hiroshimas.
>>
>>32038080
6.022141*10^22 kJ/mol.

There's even a physical representation for this. If you threw one mole of balls, each with 100J of kinetic energy, their total energy would be 6*10^22 kJ. In other words, your thrown ball has the kinetic energy of 6*10^22 kJ/mol.
>>
>>32038201
>converted to pure energy
E=mc^2.
A teaspoon is about 5ml in volume, and jizz has about the density of water, so we're talking about 5g of matter. The speed of light in vacuum is pretty fuckin fast, and I'm not in the right state of mind to square it, so I just asked Wolfram Alpha to do it. The answer is 4.5*10^14 J.

That converts to about 107 kilotons of TNT, or about five Trinity bombs. Not much compared to modern nuclear bombs, which have yields in the megaton range, but it could still demolish quite a big city.
>>
>>32038228
Taking the bullet energy from >>32028653 and fap energy from >>32038380, the actual answer is 250 billion.
To kill that many people, though, you'd have to use your jizz to manufacture 250 billion .223 matter-to-energy-conversion rounds, and not only hit, but deliver a lethal wound, with every single one of them. I don't think it's a realistic usage scenario.
>>
>>32036748
>>32036401
>if only it was possible through a fission.
Y'all niggas forgetting antimatter. Just need to touch a bullet and an antibullet together. It's a little closer to reality than Ender's Game future spaceman magic. Not by much, obviously, given the difficulty of creating antimatter in any appreciable quantity.
>>
>>32037433
Go through all the math stuff on Khan Academy, then the chemistry stuff.
>>
>>32032767
Ever seen fat burning? It's fucking horrifying.
>>
>>32038903
Sorry to hear about your mother.
>>
>>32028646
This picture should've been /k/'s banner, not some autistic animu grill from Kill la Kill.
>>
>>32038048
>Can't make enriched uranium
Uh....I thought you couldn't do that anyway with nuclear reactors.

But anyway, this sounds pretty damn awesome and I'd shove it down Irans throat so the fucks can have their "energy" and we don't have to worry about WWIII because they nuked the jews.
>>
File: KRX.jpg (722KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
KRX.jpg
722KB, 1500x844px
>>32029323
Damn Catholic gun owners, maybe you should have used protection

How much energy is in a 12 gauge shell? My rifle is getting kind of fat and I'm worried I'm overfeeding it.
>>
>>32032767
The body is pretty inefficient, too. Most of the energy we use goes towards keeping us warm.
>>
File: 1473875593359.jpg (41KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1473875593359.jpg
41KB, 480x640px
>>32030102
This is the line of thought I was taking with the question when I first read it. I like you.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.