[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MAC Cannon vs NORAD bunker Who wins?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 9

File: Magnetic_Accelerator_Cannon.png (381KB, 1280x540px) Image search: [Google]
Magnetic_Accelerator_Cannon.png
381KB, 1280x540px
MAC Cannon vs NORAD bunker
Who wins?
>>
>>32027130

The bunker, because it's not fantasy weebshit.
>>
>>32027140

Top Kek
>>
>>32027140
kys famboni
>>
MAC cannons lose efficiency in atmosphere fast. I guess its comparable to "rods from god" concepts.

Basically, at certain speeds the kinetic energy won't transfer to the target fast enough.

Sending a couple tons of solid mass at something in speeds measured in C sounds great until you shoot a target built on top of a gigantic shock absorber. Which is what the earth basically is.

Nuclear/explosive options are more effective in such scenarios.
>>
>>32027208
It would depend on the MAC being used. A Super MAC shoots a 3000 ton slug made of depleted uranium at 4% the speed of light, that bunker and everything around it would be atomized.
>>
>>32027706
pretty sure someone did teh math on it, and even teh smal macs have enough kinetic energy to penetrate several MILES of earth, possibly even penetrating the crust of said planet.

so yea norad bunker is toast.

>>32027140
actually...not really, the concepts behind mac cannons are already possible, the only difference is a matter of scale.
>>
>>32027771
See, the thing that bothers me about these kinds of fictional universes, where ftl or near light speed is possible, is why doesn't one side just hook up one of their warp drives to a large asteroid and slam it into the enemy planet at near light speed. Once you have ftl travel you have all the superweapons you'll ever need just floating in space.
>>
>>32027801
The same reason we don't just use nuclear weapons on a whim.

A better question is how they're able to stop terrorists from doing it.
>>
>>32027771
The slug would impact with around 2.2e+20 kJ of energy

The Tzar bomb was only 2.1e+17kJ
>>
>>32027801
You don't even have to do that. Take star wars for an example.

>get ship to warp drive (even faster than FTL)
>allah ahkbar that shit into the death star

Even with a small cargo ship and the death star's shields raised the impact would be hellish. If you were really desperate use a bigger ship because we know those can travel FTL too.

And if you're saying it's slip space and not true FTL then

>exit slip space inside the death star
>>
>>32027932

The empire could yank ships out of warp.

Wouldn't work
>>
>>32027801
Because the FTL travel in Halo isn't really faster than light. It's more like shortcuts.
>>
File: 1477249077576.gif (2MB, 500x390px) Image search: [Google]
1477249077576.gif
2MB, 500x390px
>>32027915
Thanks mathman. We need more of you mathfactcheckers on /k/
>>
>>32027932

>implying a squadron of interdictiors didn't surround the death star 24/7

not happening, senpai.
>>
File: Nassau.png (211KB, 360x591px) Image search: [Google]
Nassau.png
211KB, 360x591px
>>32027208
>Nuclear/explosive options are more effective in such scenarios
You are aware the kinetic energy of a shell from a Super MAC is equivalent to almost 51.6 gigatons of TNT. Please name a nuke more powerful than that.

Important to note these things still got beaten by the Covenant Navy. Nerf CCS and CAS plz
>>
>>32029909
why were the covenant able to get past something that powerful?
>>
>>32029909
And it will go right through. Much like the difference between an FMJ and a hollowpoint.

You might have a zillion gigatons of energy, but if you can't dump it within the target, it does no good.
>>
>>32029920
Elites on the ground too stronk. 30 Spartans could only protect so many generators
>>
>>32029920
Massive army
Like 1000:1 and they sent small teams to disable the mac guns
Play the first mission in Halo 2
>>
>>32029909
Humans are just humans. Covenant are a massive conglomeration of subjugated aliums. Too many ships.
>>
>>32029936
>Go right through
Yeah, just like a .50 BMG will just go right through me. It's only a 13mm bullet right?

There would be so much energy in the super MAC round that the surrounding area would be hit by a shockwave a hundred times more powerful than any nuke ever detonated.
>>
>>32027130
>Magnetic Accelerator Cannon Cannon. (Just call it a M.A.C.)
>>
>>32027130
>fires mac cannon round burns up in atmosphere.

>fires mac cannon round penetrates, ignites oxygen in atmosphere.

>rather send large astroid on catastrophic orbit and run away laughing while their ancestors pay for it.
>>
File: giphy.gif (627KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
627KB, 500x363px
>>32029909
>51.6
>FIFTY ONE BILLION TONS OF TNT IN KINETIC ENERGY
>More power than every nuke ever made in one shot
>And we lost
I'm out, fuck living in the 26th century
>>
>>32027907
>>32027907
>inna 35th century
>Rigellian feminists decide they need to set an example, a symbol after having lived in their echo chamber of a system for decades
>Earth patriarchy, all of earth is evil, wipe out sol
>They r-bomb earth, mars, europa with ships painted pink for maximum feminism that they bought from earth before b/c they still can't in to STEM fields
>they were at 90% c when they blew up the ships and turned them in to gigantic relativistic buckshot
>earth, mars, europa are just empty wastelands
>Venus still stands because they couldn't bring themselves to wipe out the beautiful lush and terraformed planet named after the goddess of pretty much women
>Venusian /k/ stops shitposting and only has MEG threads b/c Venus is going to be the end of all feminism in the galaxy
>hundreds of years of war ensue as feminists drop to guns that sometimes have such obscure places as "Afghanistan" or "Iraq" carved in to them while fighting back with mutated screeching and acidic menstrual blood out of their artillery landwhales
>galactic council doesn't allow r-bombing of Rigel and allies, which is good. Venus wants to make sure EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. is dead.
>They picked stragglers out of the rubble in Sol, they don't want anyone to ever find anything living on the feminist systems

Where will you be when Sol hands out powerarmor and nuclear RPGs like candy and goes full jihad on feminism?
>>
>>32027130

It bugs the crap out of me of how incompetent all forces are in Halo...
>>
>>32027130
Didn't somebody on /k/ did the math and figured it could shoot 360 supercarriers at multiple kilometers per second?
>>
>>32029909
Oh fuck, I thought the slug was accelerated to 4% of c not 40%.
>>
>>32027932
I vaguely remember there being a story about how a star destroyer came out of hyperdrive at slightly misjudged point and slammed into a super star destroyer while still doing a good fraction of c. The star destroyer was oblitereted and the super star destroyer's shields were like 'meh'.
>>
>>32029909
Yeah, that would vaporize a super carrier through its shields.
>>
>>32030473
Oh it gets worse. The Covenant consider even studding the forerunner relics hersey. In the first contact book Cortona ends up on a Covenant star cruiser, notices the frimware for the pulse cannons is a mess, rewrites it mid-combat, and uses them as ion beams to seriously fuck shit up, at which point the Covi ship-board AI starts getting really pissy.
>>
>>32033929
studying*
>>
>>32029936
>I didn't pass Physics 101, the post
What is a vacuum and how do it work
>>
>>32029920
Covvies had hundreds of warships attacking at once. They attacked Reach with 750 ships, the MAC stations could only kill so many before they were swarmed or the generators got taken out.
>>
>>32027130
>A Super MAC shoots a 3000 ton slug made of depleted uranium at 4% the speed of light, that bunker and everything around it would be atomized.

> CR-08 Series-8 MAC fires an ultra-dense projectile at a fraction of the speed of light and is capable of creating terrestrial craters several miles wide. The shock-wave >generated is powerful enough to knock in-atmosphere star ships out of the air. Its exo-atmospheric combat capabilities were shown when the UNSC Infinity managed to use >the Series-8 to puncture the Mantle's Approach's hull

Norads done.

>The primary MAC on UNSC Infinity was capable of creating a crater several miles wide on Sanghelios.

Fucking Obliterated
>>
>>32030077
>>And we lost
I mean, we sort of won. Barely. With pretty much all of our colonies fucked by aliens and shit, and like 50% of Earth getting fucked.
>>
>>32036689
They glassed Africa because Flood so that was always a plus :^)

The biggest loss was always Reach. It was literally Earth tier industry but completely dedicated to the UNSC industries. It could make spaceships and exploration/logistic ships far faster than Earth could.

When Reach was glassed lore wise it killed the UNSC's post war ability to recover a lot of the planets they lost.

Most of the planets under the UNSC were useless gas or no atmosphere moons only good for mining. VERY FEW planets were livable without life support or could support any form of agriculture.

Lore wise iirc Reach had dozens of times more resources than earth, and was far more hospitable, being slightly larger but much more temperate, with almost all of the planet being forests or grasslands barring the extreme North and South, and very few deserts unlike the huge swathes which cover Earth.

It should have been the killing blow.
>>
>>32029981
>Not using cannons as ammunition in a MAC
>>
>>32033980

Particles moving in speeds measured in C pass through every human every second.

We still live and don't even notice it.
>>
>>32035024
>A Super MAC shoots a 3000 ton slug made of depleted uranium at 4% the speed of light, that bunker and everything around it would be atomized.

this is hilariously fucking stupid. bungie's fanfic writers need to do their homework.

a 3,000 ton slug going 4% the speed of light would completely destroy the planet. If you fired the slug away from the planet, the MAC platform would fly backwards into the earth fast enough to destroy the planet.
>>
File: 1472800551060 (1).jpg (59KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
1472800551060 (1).jpg
59KB, 655x527px
>>32037857
maybe you should test that theory out by putting you hand in the beam of a particle accelerator.
>>
>>32037908
Show your math pls anon.

Prove them wrong.
>>
File: 1479246402278.jpg (42KB, 960x450px) Image search: [Google]
1479246402278.jpg
42KB, 960x450px
>>32037923
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoli_Bugorski
>>
>>32037908
>railgun
>recoil

also 51 gigatons would not destroy a planet, it would barely destroy a europe sized continent.

To crack a planet you need petatons not gigatons
>>
>>32037908
According to the wiki, the Mac platforms have propulsion system in place to counter the recoil from the cannon.

>>32038038
I too, would like to see your math, I'm more curious if you found a weight for the Mac platforms. I was trying to calculate how much the platforms would move the other night.

>>32037857
You're most likely thinking of neutrinos, and I would say that those don't count, seeing that they don't interact with fermions.

>>32038276
Why would a railgun not have recoil?
>>
>>32037158

In the halo reach end cutscene it shows reach recovering after the war, so it's not all bad.
>>
>>32038283
>According to the wiki, the Mac platforms have propulsion system in place to counter the recoil from the cannon.

Is that propulsion system powered by fucking miracles?
>>
File: 1475772584018.jpg (547KB, 963x830px) Image search: [Google]
1475772584018.jpg
547KB, 963x830px
>>32038872
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.