[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT things we thought when we were kids/noguns

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 320
Thread images: 46

File: PicsArt_11-16-10.16.32.jpg.jpg (14KB, 400x169px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_11-16-10.16.32.jpg.jpg
14KB, 400x169px
>When I was a kid I thought you dumped rounds in the back of a Borchardt and magic shot them out
>I thought Vietnam was Japan and the Vietnam war was WW2 2: all gooks are the same
>I thought the gulf war was fought in the gulf of Mexico, and that's why we hate Mexicans
>>
Holy fuck those second two are hilarious
I don't have anything to contribute, but here's a bump
>>
>>32025594
>I thought the gulf war was fought in the gulf of mexico too
>I believed all of the fudd lore
>>
>>32025594

>gas powered

fuck me. i thought it meant the gun had a little tank on it like a weed whacker and it was edited out in movies.
>>
I thing self loading guns had a small electric motor that cycled the action.
>>
>army men are issued fully loaded magazines and they are all thrown away when emptied.
>>
>>32025872
>this was actually doctrine for a brief period
>>
>>32025786
I thought this too but more like how an airsoft or BB gun has the CO2 cartridge in the mag or something.
>>
>i tought bullets contained poison
>>
File: MAGA-Nixon.png (189KB, 706x540px) Image search: [Google]
MAGA-Nixon.png
189KB, 706x540px
>>32025594
>I used to think anything but manually cycled actions were all but illegal and that semi auto ANYTHING BUT PISTOLS was incredibly rare and expensive technology that only those with quite the expendable income could get their hands on.
>I used to think shotgun shells were $80 a box
>I used to think guns worked off magic that only the finest of engineers could have even a rudimentary grasp of
>MFW this was like 2008.
>>
File: shoe on head.jpg (6KB, 152x160px) Image search: [Google]
shoe on head.jpg
6KB, 152x160px
>I used to think that triggers worked like a catapult, that the other side of it was inside the gun it launched bullets out by force of pulling the trigger alone
>>
>>32025786
this is hilarious
>>
>>32025594
> I used to think all bullets exploded on impact
>>
>>32025594
> i used to be a fudd (no black furniture, no scurry salt rifles)
> I used to be anti-gun
> I used to believe suppressor made all guns completely quiet without swapping ammo (Thanks, COD 4 / MW2 / Battlefield)
>>
>I used to think fully automatic guns worked via internal batteries
>I thought .22's were huge and that 9mm was tiny
>>
>>32025594
I was never that retarded
>>
>>32025990
It's not?
>>
>>32025594
>grow up playing Red Alert
>wonder why there aren't pillboxes and turrets on every military base
>>
>>32025972
>I used to think shotgun shells were $80 a box
>MFW this was like 2008.
Give it a few more years.
>>
>>32026038
Bullshit
You were not that knowledgeable as a little kid I guarantee it
>>
>>32025947
Same, I knew how cartridges worked, but I thought co2 or something cycled the gun.
>>
>The sheer force of .50 cal passing buy can kill you.
> AK unjammable

Man i ate up that TV/fudd lore
>>
File: 12366974397.jpg (288KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
12366974397.jpg
288KB, 1600x900px
>>32025594
>The M1 Garand had to fire all of its rounds before it had to be reloaded.
>>
>>32026093
Pls no
>>
>>32025786
nope, I was perplexed when I heard that guns were gas powered. Thought they ran on CO2
>>
>>32026159
thought that one too
>>
>>32025594
I used to think that the entire bullet was shot, casing and all.
>>
>>32026203
Me too. And I'm willing to bet plenty of noguns think that too
>>
>>32026184
>>32025947
I assumed gas powered was like a hydrolic piston in the gun. Like the thing that lifts the back of a hatch back SUV
>>
>>32026159
>The M-14 is more reliable full of shit than M-16 clean.
>AK-47 doesn't jam

FUUUUUDD LOOOOOORRRRRREEEE
>>
wew
>guns fire using just the spring inside of them
>anti-gun
>bullets will go through anything and everything
>military body armor is high-tech
>military planes use mainly their guns in plane to plane combat, and gravity bombs against ground and sea targets
>the JSF was too expensive, just make more A-10s lol
>all AKs are 47's
>AKs are reliable but inaccurate
>militaries should find a way to be more Eco-freindly
>>
>>32026159
Fucking vidya games that made you shoot all the M1 ammo before you could reload it

>MoH Frontline and CoD World at War
>>
>>32026414
>>AKs are reliable but inaccurate
You're not exactly wrong
>>
>>32026414
>>guns fire using just the spring inside of them
can this not be said for guns that use a spring-powered striker?
>>
I thought that guns shot fire but that it was concentrated into like a fire-beam-bullet almost like a lazer
>>
>>32026469
I thought they sent the bullet using just spring power, then cycled using some kind of crazy magnet shit that only wizards could understand
>>
>>32026420
WaW had a non empty reload I think, it was just longer than the empty.
>>
>>32026502
You can eject "Clip" in WAW. It blew my mind.
>>
>>32026471
More or less this
>I thought guns would spray like they do in cod or any other game when you don't ads
>I thought there was only one pistol,revovler, bolt action, automatic rifle, ammo
>guns were completely hollow and bullets were ignited by pulling the gun back and then slamming it foward, or shaking it
>later learned that was recoil
>>
>>32026490
kek, now that you mention it, i remember thinking something similar. i wish i knew where i'd stored all those old drawings of """""theoretical"""""" gun designs, they were funny in a very embarrassing way
>>
>>32026414
>>32026027
I was anti-gun as well thanks to my mom. Then I got into guns (thanks Black Ops and San Andreas) and turned her progun
Also:
>all guns cost over $1000 except for the AK which can be found on the black market for below $100 in America
>all semiautomatic pistols fire 9mm except the 1911
>the newest revolver designs are older than the oldest automatic designs
>the 9mm used in Lugers and P38s was totally different from modern 9mm like how 357 SIG and 357 mag are different
>all bolt actions are extremely accurate, capable of sub MOA
>the bullet diameter was equal to that of the grooves and that bullets didn't get squeezed as they actually do
>couldn't tell the difference between rifles and shotguns
>gas operated guns had an additional supply of "gas" (wasn't sure what kind) that powered the action
These were from when I was 4-14 years old so that's why they're all over the place.
Not weapon related but did anyone else think that fisheye lenses were for underwater?
>>
>>32026592
>did anyone else think that fisheye lenses were for underwater?

Yes
>>
I thought double-action revolvers cocked themselves every time you shot them, just like Dad's old Walther P-38.

I thought the buffer tube on an AR-15 was a shock absorber.

I thought the German 88 was more powerful than the 120mm gun on the Abrams. I sure heard plenty of horror stories about it from the old farts down at the VA.
>>
>>32025594

>thought all .50 caliber firearms fired the .50 bmg and muskets that were .50 caliber were as powerful as .50 bmgs

>thought the cornershot magically turned the bullet 90 degrees

>thought soliders fired on full auto all the time, i.e an M4/M16 was just safe and full auto

>thought the mp5 fired rifle ammunition

>thought revolvers were automatically more powerful than semi automatic pistols

>thought metric measurements of ammunition were bullet diameter x bullet length, 7.62x51 meant the bullet was 7.62mm in diameter and 51mm in length and the case was just there to accommodate the length of the bullet

>thought metric was smaller than imperial, a .45 is bigger than a 20mm (lel)

>thought all semi automatic firearms were blowback
>>
>>32025594
I thought shooting was fun.
Now I just think it's expensive
>>
>>32026674
>I thought the buffer tube on an AR-15 was a shock absorber.

thats kinda correct
>>
>>32025594
I believed any fudd lore I heard, especially the AK-fo sevun neva jam meme.

I liked AKs and the Soviet Union so much as a kid, surprised I didn't discover STALKER until maybe 2014.

But it's too late now, the only military aesthetic I enjoy is Soviet, with a little bit of Nazi on the side.

Politically and economically, I'm classic liberal to the T, completely contradicting my adoration for all things Soviet.

But I can see why they'd think they were in they right. (I actually kinda think they were ideologically superior familia, though it's obvious that capitalism survives so well in our survival of the fittest world.)

Not to mention that they had the sickest national anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHomETco0MI
>>
>>32025953
I thought it was fire that killed at long distance from severe burns since I saw a poster and the muzzle flash was pretty huge
>>
File: 40mm bofors crew asleep.jpg (297KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
40mm bofors crew asleep.jpg
297KB, 540x540px
>>32026674
Oh, and my grandpa Leo had been an AA gunner in WW2 and had this old dud 40mm shell in his bedroom, and told me it was his 'bear bullet.' He had a bear gun for it that was about six feet long and had a shock absorber (like the one on the AR-15, one surmises), but he couldn't show it to me. It was 'at the shop.'

When Dad told me about going bear hunting with a 30-30, I was horrified and raged at him while he laughed. Until I was like ten or eleven I honest to God thought you couldn't go bear hunting without a 40mm Bofors.
>>
>>32026690
Yeah, I know. But still.
>>
Well, I'm still noguns, but I can't really remember any misconceptions I had.

I thought for the longest time the MAC 10 was another type of Uzi (like a newer model) but that's about it.
>>
iirc I was always pretty well-informed on guns though I had no real understanding of the mechanics behind them and didn't really try to understand them. Thankfully my parents were always happy to indulge my interests so I ended up having a bunch of books and magazines on guns, my favorite being Jane's Gun Recognition Guide.
I bought into the fuddlore hard though.

>tfw I used to quote SIGINT calls from MGS3 to impress my elementary school friends
>>
>>32025594
I believed:
>the AR is shit/AK is god meme
>Shotguns are combat effective
>>
>>32025594
Thinking static, Normandy-style defenses could work in a modern war.
>>
When I was in kindergarten I thought the Korean War was still going on and used it as the "setting" for all my toy soldier play stuff (bad guys were Koreans, etc.).

Later learned I was actually half-right.
>>
I thought guns fired the whole bullet and shell casing together.
>>
>>32026579
Different anon, I have a drawing somewhere I made in 5th grade to explain to nogunz friends how they work.
I'd seen 1911 assembly vids before, so it was based on that with a few differences-
1.CZ looking trigger
2. No sear disconnector or safety
3. Slide front looks like Jericho
4. Ammo cross section- bullet is hemisphere seated only around 1mm into the case, near 0 case thickness
5. Absurdly sharp rifling, near 0 barrel thickness
6. No breech locking mechanism
I find it instructive to see what I did and didn't get at the time
>>
>>32026775
I think everyone did at some point thanks to cartoons.
>>
File: CgMzujvXIAIsr4O.jpg (64KB, 600x488px) Image search: [Google]
CgMzujvXIAIsr4O.jpg
64KB, 600x488px
>>32025594
>I thought the gulf war was fought in the gulf of Mexico, and that's why we hate Mexicans
Thanks for the keks OP

I had no clue of the concept of primary and secondary weapons so I just assumed that you would see masses of troops storming positions who were issued an equal ratio of pistols and rifles. It seems so obvious now compared to what 5 year old me thought
>>
Where to start?
>Figured that there must have been like 7 world wars by now
>Saw an old magazine ad for a metal storm mortar launcher in popular science when I was in preschool, thought all guns loaded their bullets nose to tail
>Thought all machine guns had a firing mechanism with a sprocket, just like a minigun
>Even ones that fed from a magazine
>Thought all guns were blowback operated
>Thought that racking the slide on a pistol released the magazine
>Thought the F117 was cool as shit, didn't like "stealth bombers" cause my kid brain thought that the F117s were just called "the stealth plane" and stealth bombers meant other planes designed to drop bombs on F117s in mid air.
>Spent the longest amount of time trying to figure out if rotary Gatling guns were just in movies or if they were real, thought they were cool as fuck regardless
>Spent an only slightly shorter length of time trying to figure out if self loading pistols were just the result of clever camera work, and if you had to cycle the slide after each shot
>Thought really high powered handguns were the obviously superior choice, loved the AMT automag and the .454 raging bull
>Was devestated to learn that the XM8 was only a prototype and I would never buy one
>Similarly upset when I learned about no fun switch
>Thought the G11 wasn't actually caseless, just had a clever way of dumping casings.
>Thought nuclear weapons meant small arms
>>
File: 1452411614361.gif (811KB, 678x422px) Image search: [Google]
1452411614361.gif
811KB, 678x422px
>>32026820
That's alright for a 5th grader. Did your family have any guns when you were growing up?

>mfw just realized a 5th grader in [CURRENT YEAR] would probably be expelled for drawing guns
>unless he's black or muslim
>>
Thanks to cod 2 and Wikipedia, thought all ".30 cal" was the same. So the M1 Carbine, Garand, and belt-fed Browning machine gun in .30 cal, and BAR all shot the same round.
>>
>single action pistols like a 1911 had to be cocked after every shot like a single action revolver
>gun owners just want the 2nd amendment for fun, and are just being greedy since if guns were banned there would be less crime
>shotguns are better than rifles
>most combat takes places at about 30 yards or less (thanks vidya)
>suppressors make a gun near silent just by putting them on a gun
>guns are easy to shoot, you just pull the trigger and the bullet goes where you pointed it
>revolvers are better than semi autos because semis jam all the time, where revolvers barely ever jam and have way more stopping power than any semi
>recoil is a non-issue in a ccw
>cartridges are filled completely with gunpowder
>all gun owners are stereotypical rednecks/fudds
>>
>>32026047
The trigger doesn't do anything except release the tension holding the hammer/striker back when pulled. So no, the force of the trigger doesn't fire the gun.
>>
I fell for the half life magazine-tube-is-a-second-barrel meme
>>
>>32026892
Not murican, live in near nogunz country.
Dad is policeman so got to see CZ 75 on a regular basis.
>>
>>32026996
I also thought for a while that cartridge measurements were rim diameter×OAL
This meant I thought 7.62 NATO was the size of 5.56
>>
>>32027015
Me too
>>
>>32027015
is 51 the same as 45?
>>
File: 32432424.jpg (77KB, 1004x776px) Image search: [Google]
32432424.jpg
77KB, 1004x776px
EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU

>first time hearing "gas operated"
>thought that meant gasoline
>>
I thought bullets were octagonal prisms

because I think maybe I thought the bore mirrored those eight sided musket barrels
>>
>Used to think that gun control worked
>>
>>32027052
Not me. I had no clue what the hell "gas" referred to for a while
>>
>>32026775
>implying it's only half the bullet
>>
>>32027052
i'll do you one better

EVERYONE here did and probably still does load batteries into things like they are shotgun shells
>>
>>32027043
45 is case length
I thought the number was overall length
>>
>>32027095
Got me there
Not any more though
>>
>>32027095
I wasn't aware there was any other way
>>
File: IMG_1053.jpg (754KB, 1728x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1053.jpg
754KB, 1728x1152px
>I couldn't really see the animation in the first Halo game because the tv we played it on was tiny, so I thought when he was reloading the shotgun that he was pulling on some paper on the bottom of the gun. I attribute this to me having cap guns with those red paper rolls in them and then thinking real guns must have worked similarly.
>>
>>32025594
that's pretty adorable fampai
>>
>>32027129
Holy shit I haven't seen one of those in so long
>>
>>32025594
>CLIPS
>L
>I
>P
>S
>>
>>32026674
>>32026704
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>32027052
i thought if the gun got to hot it would catch on fire from the gas

;-;
>>
>>32025990
I hope you believe this still bc thats how it works. Thats why sniper rifles have such stiff triggers.
>>
>>32027145
>that smell of phosphorous after cap gun fights with friends
oh to be young again :^(
>>
>>32026857
The generals get pistols.
>>
>used to think "gas operated" rifles meant that instead of gunpoweder there would be an extremely highly compressed gas inside of the casing
>because of this, I used to think that all modern firearms are "gas operated", because I always heard that about common assault rifles

>>32026084
Holy fuck same
>>
File: 1476240199620.png (715KB, 629x758px) Image search: [Google]
1476240199620.png
715KB, 629x758px
>>32025594
When I was a kid I thought that only cops/military/really important powerful people get to have guns and it was really rare for civilians to have them. I found out that it was half true. Such is life in New Jersey.
>>
>>32027393
Just to add:

>used to think that the longer a bolt could be pulled back on a semi automatic, the exponentially greater the power it would shoot
>used to think that the m16 sights were angled down (see, angle of top of carry handle) to compensate for the recoil of fully automatic fire, and that recoil was a magic phenomenon which pulled/angled the barrel upwards when shooting
>>
>Used to think there were explosives everywhere and that in order to detonate them you had to point and "shoot" a grenade launcher at them... This is because I could never see anything coming out of the barrel, just them point, and suddenly an explosion happens wherever they were pointing...

>Used to think you looked down and through a barrel to see where to shoot, had no idea how one accomplished this because a round would have been in the way... know about sights
>>
>>32026914
I mean, 3 for 4 ain't bad
>>
>>32027417
>the longer a bolt could be pulled back on a semi automatic, the exponentially greater the power it would shoot
I'm guessing this theory of yours had no basis in cartridge length, but oddly it's kind of true, isn't it
>>
>>32027052
I never heard the term until I actually got into firearms.

Though for me it was never a "Always thought it was this till this," it was a "Absolutely no clue until I bothered to learn in like 7th grade."
>>
>>32027320
leave phil alone
he called me his best friend once
>>
I thought M16s were basically DA BES GUN EVAR in every situation.

Lots of fuddlore.
>>
I thought that smoke grenade launchers on tanks were for frag grenades, and always wondered how tank crews aimed them.
>>
>>32027528
I thought that about the M9 pistol because muhreen vidya games, took an embarrassingly long time for me to learn better
>>
>tfw you grew up in communist country
>tfw guns are irrelevant
>tfw no fuddlore to believe in
>tfw only knowledge of gun is from movies and pay to win shitty online FPS
>>
>>32027095
Got me

> thought that the deagle was a revolver, only heard about it in literature
> all gunz are evil
> revolvers are a good entry level fun
> .50 and .45 acp are similar sizes
>>
>>32027506
>I'm guessing this theory of yours had no basis in cartridge length, but oddly it's kind of true, isn't it
Haha yeah, I guess I should have specified a little more about this, my theory was:
The longer the bolt travel = the harder the spring makes the firing pin hit the bullet = directly influences the power of the shot
>>
>>32027095
guilty as charged
>>
>all rifle bullets were the size of .308/.30-06
>desert eagle was the best gun produced
>AK-47 is the only AK and cant shoot worth shit
>rifle can maintain full auto fire for approx. 6-7 minutes with standard mag
>overheating doesn't exist
>12 gauge buckshot is the only type of shotshell and has the spread of about 2 feet at 5 feet away
>rotating bolt means it spinning like a fucking tire inside the carrier
>all bolt actions are sniper rifles
>>
>>32026544
>>guns were completely hollow and bullets were ignited by pulling the gun back and then slamming it foward, or shaking it
>>later learned that was recoil
WHAT THE FUCK
>>
>Israel developed the Deagle in .50AE to stop cars from driving through checkpoints.
>Uzi is the greatest machine gun ever
>can't use assault rifles for hunting because they would be nothing left of the deer
>>
I thought the M16 was "accurate but unreliable" (as TV kept telling me) because it had a very tight bore, so tight that the bullets would sometimes get stuck. The AK was the opposite, I thought the bullets just kinda flew out in random directions after bouncing about in the barrel.
>>
>>32025594
For the longest time I thought Vietnam was somewhere near Pakistan
And I ain't even american
>>
>>32025594
I thought Americans fought all over the world to save us from tyranny, protect freedom etc.

I thought you could reload a LAW.

I had no idea our service rifle the RK62 was based on the AK47 or even related to it.
>>
>>32028206
>rotating bolt means it spinning like a fucking tire inside the carrier
I used to think that rotating bolts worked kind of like a matchlock action, except internally
>>
File: 1472927310355.jpg (219KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
1472927310355.jpg
219KB, 1600x1066px
I thought tank shells fly at a very low velocity, like when you throw a football because the shell always seemed to take a while before it hit its target in movies

Turns out the tanks were just shooting at things very far away
>>
>>32026734
But you were right, what happened?
>>
>I used to think birdshot was the best for home defense, and that you should always dutchload your shotgun so you could progressively make it through more durable and tough material.

>The sound of a pumping shotgun is the best way to make a criminal piss his pants

>Believed .40 S&W was the best choice between .45 ACP and 9mm, 9mm master race now but .45 is still okay and pretty fun. Hate the .40 more than both though.

>For some reason I thought all rocket launchers loaded from the back, and I didn't know backblast was a thing.

>Used to think that if you were good at laser-tag you'd make a good soldier

>All AR platform rifles were M16's and all AK platforms were AK47, I thought the AK74 was just a short AK47.

>I also felt like nearly everyone who died in war had died in really slow and emotional ways, kind of like how Vin Diesel got shot in Saving Private Ryan. Thought whoever didn't die like that had bad luck. Except for the Sniper in the movie, I kind of saw him as the Guardian angel and not like he was an actual person. But someone that was destined to watch over other soldiers, because he really cared about them.

>Used to think communism was cool. *CRINGE OVERLOAD*

>I know young me was absolutely fascinated with the P90 because I never saw anyone reload it before and I was so curious on how it was so small, I thought it used M16 rounds for some reason

>I used to think Glocks were made of ceramic and could pass through metal detectors. I thought "why would someone carry a ceramic gun, wouldn't it just break?" But I figured it must have been really fancy stuff that didn't break as easy.

>My friend told me not to wear woodland camouflage in the forest because people wore it so much outside the forest that we could recognize the pattern instantly

This is a collection of things from kiddo to Jr. Highschool. Was always into guns and so was family but we never had them for some reason when I was born.
>>
>>32028529
>>Used to think communism was cool. *CRINGE OVERLOAD*

To be fair the Communist aesthetic does have it's charm, especially DDR.
>>
>>32028550

I guess you have a point, I do like the fashion and the firearms, and the buildings and the culture of the people.

Also East German AK's are hot

But communism is still cancer and I need to physically remove it.

I'll still probably buy one of their fuzzy hats though. The name escapes me.
>>
I guess I was a pretty well informed youngster.

>watched tremors when I was 5 or so and wondered how a 12 gauge killed elephants and a graboid but an automatic rifle wouldn't
>thought the m4s in The Rock were m16s
>thought that ar-pattern rifles were rare and illegal when i was young when really i just lived in fudd country
>thought military members were given a weapon and after they were discharged they took that weapon home and it was theirs from then on
>>
>>32028558
Ushanka? I liberated my field ushanka from the military, it's top comfy to wear at home when it's cold as balls outside.
>>
>>32028563

Yes, that was it. I had a fake one, I still think I have it. Was the best hat I've ever had in a long time. Need to get me a real fur one, except instead of a Soviet star it's getting an American Flag pin.

>>32028560

>thought military members were given a weapon and after they were discharged they took that weapon home and it was theirs from then on

I actually thought this too. I always wondered where my dad had his M16A2 with grenade launcher and where all his medic equipment was. I always looked for a really big box, like a wooden chest full of it.
>>
>>32028560
>>thought military members were given a weapon and after they were discharged they took that weapon home and it was theirs from then on

Well that is kind of true for the Swiss.
>>
>>32026704
>Until I was like ten or eleven I honest to God thought you couldn't go bear hunting without a 40mm Bofors.
Holy shit I'm dying.
>>
>>32025594
>dad was drafted into the Soviet army
>ever since me, he was always telling me about how AMAZING THE AKM IS AND HOW ITS BETTER THAN THOSE "WESTERN GUNS" (read: AR15) AND HOW IT ONLY HAS 7 PARTS.
>then in my teens I actually saw a detail strip of the AK
>also thought all guns have interchangeable ammo
>yeah just put that pinfire round into that naval cannon
>>
>>32025594
>I used to believe wars were constant battles that never ceased.
> i.e. The battle of Gettysburg lasting 4 years straight,.
>>
>I used to think that there was just the bullet and loose powder inside guns and the trigger had a match on the inside which would strike when you pulled the trigger
>>
>>32028625
NON
STOP
WARFARE
>>
>>32028625
This one I can relate to.
>>
>>32025885
>citation needed
>>
>>32028648
Well you were a bit behind modern firearms but not too far off from muzzle loaders, just flint or primers instead of the match.
>>
>>32028754
Not him but the STANAGs were supposed to be like that originally but it was too expensive.
>>
I had a 'Special Forces' book when I was 9, ausfag kid me saw the L85 and thought it was the best rifle because it had a scope
>>
>>32025594
When I was like 10 I thought carbines and recoiless rifles were the same thing because carbines use the backwards force from the gun firing so therefore, no recoil.
>>
>>32026728
>I bought into the fuddlore hard though.
Honestly I think everyone that was exposed to a group of fudds at a young age couldn't help but eat that up hook, line, and sinker.

>10 years old
>hanging with a bunch of 40-50 year old dudes after hunting
>fuddlore getting thrown around like it's gospel
>damn near worship these guys not only for their amazing firearms and skill but knowledge as well
>drink it up like mother's milk

How couldn't you idolize these guys? I memorized that shit and was the coolest kid on the playground who knew all about guns. The cringe still hurts...
>>
I always wondered why soldiers in WW2 movies dindn't just create a wall of machine guns and aimed them up at the sky to create a litteral bullet rain.
Also I thought incendiary rounds were real. Not like Dragon's Breath bit like rifle cartridges that set things on fire
>>
File: photo-2.jpg (66KB, 500x669px) Image search: [Google]
photo-2.jpg
66KB, 500x669px
>>32025594
>thought bullpups were inherently better because spacegun
>thought bullets had infinite range
>thought entire cartridge was shot out of the barrel (no distinction between bullet and cartridge)
>heard 'bore' as 'boar', figured it had something to do with hunting wild pigs
>thought military jets could fly into space (but not as far as the moon, that would be ridiculous)
>thought D Day landings were achieved by building a pontoon bridge across the English channel
>thought Glocks were made out of plastic (Die Hard 2)
>thought '9mm x 19' meant referred to the magazine capacity
>thought it took dozens of bullets to kill a man
>thought that Gulf war was fought exclusively at night (NV footage on news really stuck in my head)
>thought that the red dot around the decocker/safety on the Beretta was a little battery powered light
>>
Good thread.

I also used to think "gas powered" meant they had some type of fuel tank and had to be refilled to work.

Thought a .410 and 16 gauge would have a ton of recoil.

Thought the AR was a jamamatic.

Thought surplus ammo would be the price it was in 2003-2006 forever. :(

Also, some of the way my friends and I shot our .22s in the woods. Unsafe, no backstops. Yikes. Probably would be arrested these days.
>>
File: 1299136540750.jpg (79KB, 350x218px) Image search: [Google]
1299136540750.jpg
79KB, 350x218px
>>32028849
>>thought military jets could fly into space (but not as far as the moon, that would be ridiculous)
>>
>>32026592
>>32025947
>>32025786
When my buddy went through basic, one of the people he was there with thought that. The drill sergeant thought she was joking at first.
>>
>>32028849
>>thought D Day landings were achieved by building a pontoon bridge across the English channel

What gave you this idea?
>>
>>32026420
>dod
Where did this meme come from?
>>
>>32028878
Saw a picture of a Mulberry harbour in a book, and my simple little mind joined up the dots.
>>
>>32026775
So true, I thought shells could never hit you!

>Dad brings 11 year old me to shooting range
>Get to shoot 1911
>First shooting
>Forget to not muzzle sweep
>Don't shoot again until 16 with buddy

"Hey, does your .22 rifle have recoil?"
>>
>>32026889
>Thought that racking the slide on a pistol released the magazine

I once saw this movie when I was 8 or so where some chick was shooting 2 UZI's at cops and then dramatically dropped the magazines.

I'm not sure if I didn't see the part where she put in two new magazines or if that wasn't included in the cut of the movie but because I only saw the guns poop out these long sticks I figure'd it must've been dirt from the bullets that guns need to eject in order to keep firing.

Basically guns can fire infinitly and 'reloading' is just quickly dumping bullet-residue from the firearm.
>>
I used to think accuracy in the range meant the same thing as accuracy in application/real life.
>>
File: matchlock_pistol_closeup.jpg (76KB, 903x600px) Image search: [Google]
matchlock_pistol_closeup.jpg
76KB, 903x600px
>>32028758
>>
>>32028827
7.62 API is real
>>
>>32028593
>Implying a Bofors L/60 isn't an excellent gun for Bear Hunting
>>
>>32027371
Thats not the point
>>
>>32028989
It definitely kills the bear.
>>
File: porn for young boys.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
porn for young boys.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
One of my most prized possessions as a small child was the Eyewitness WWII visual dictionary. That book definitely played a role in my fascination with firearms, but anyway, I remember for some bizarre reason having the belief that any automatic weapon fired from a resting position would have the same suppression capabilities as an emplaced MG. This belief subsequently led to me as a small child fantasizing about being a Russian soldier in Stalingrad holding the line with a PPS-43
>>
>>32027320
He's been around longer than you, AУTИCT
>>
>>32028863
I like how this kind of stuff makes total sense to a kid just as long as they don't think about it too hard. Like it's obvious that it's bullshit to us now, but when you were a kid, all it took was something that sounded fairly reasonable.
As in
>Tanks can go underwater (I get that it's technically true in that you can adding a conning tower/snorkel but-
>D-Day landings were a case of tanks driving along the bottom of the channel until they reached Normandy
>You can paradrop basically anything and it is the best tactic ever
>Static point defenses are a thing and are built on military bases everywhere
>Not prism towers or tesla coils though, that's silly
>SAM sites everywhere is perfectly reasonable though
>
and of course
>you can lock the slide back manually by pushing a tiny invisible button on the frame of the pistol
>to cock an M16 you pull on the forward assist
>guns are not user friendly and you have to be an elite operator to even get them to work
>like seriously, there's a bunch of steps you have to do to make a gun ready to shoot
all seems fairly reasonable to a kid
>>
>>32029007
Anon that's just silly
>>
>>32029018
>>You can paradrop basically anything and it is the best tactic ever
>implying it's not
>>
>since comics always showed rifles dropping straight wall casings, I thought m-16s shot 9mm rounds
>thought the mp5 was better than m-16s because more compact and same round
>thought gas operated meant a small amount of gas was put in the gun
>light gun shooters didn't help, thought all handguns held 5-6 rounds tops, even ones like Beretta 92s
>dad told me one day guns like the 92 held 15 rounds
>BLEW MY FUCKING MIND, had a major Auspie overload
>like standing in the yard looking at the stars overload, like I had a championship fight the next day
>".......wow.......15 shots....."
>I was talking to myself in the front yard while the neighbors looked out their window
>>
>>32029025
No argument that it's cool as fuck, but there are some problems present for sure.
Like SAM sites. I swear, most of what I thought I knew about military strategy came from the first couple levels of Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun.
>paradrop everything
>yes, even tanks
>what's that? can't get aircraft close to bad guys?
>blow up SAM sites
>how bout now?
Oh, and a few worth mentioning.
Not mine, but a friend of mine. Told me these in middle and high school.
>why can't soldiers just bring their own guns?
>why can't countries just tell companies to make guns and tanks and shit for free for the duration of the war?
>designed a gun with a barrel made up of separate sections, kind of like flower petals, that could fold and resize as a way of accepting lots of different calibers
that last one came up just as I was starting to browse /k/ and I honestly could see no problem with it at the time.
>>
>>32029051
I knew a similar feel. When I found out that standard capacity for a magazine was thirty rounds, I was amazed. Ten? Reasonable. Twenty? Ehh, pushing it, but I can believe you. Thirty? "No."

In a classic case of childlike doublethink though, I also thought that it was mighty small, considering the MA5B from Halo could hold sixty rounds.
>>
>>32027689
H-How exactly did you think the spring re-compressed after firing a bullet?
>>
>>32027320
I love this pasta, but it's Phil we're talking about. He's kind of a staple of the board.
>>
>>32027129
>>32027145
>Ass beat for muzzle sweeping family members with a cap gun
>Toy or not, you don't aim at what you don't want to kill
>Playing operator around house with cap gun held low
>Anon get your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire

Growing up to realize my step dad wasn't just an angry old fuck and actually installed good values into me as a kid
>>
>>32028955
And I stand corrected.
>>
File: zed the faggot.png (31KB, 1881x279px) Image search: [Google]
zed the faggot.png
31KB, 1881x279px
>>32029105
So was Zed, and Phil is much newer, I hardly consider him a staple.
>>
>>32029102
The same way slides lock back, duh. You drop the magazine and the slide locks itself back. Then you put a fresh magazine in and it clicks forward.
Honestly though, video game animators have a lot to answer for. Looking at you in particular, Valve. That double shot out of the shotgun STILL triggers my autism to this day.
>>
>>32027145
They were the shiznit
>>
>>32025594

ahh, so you are mentally handicapped?
>>
>>32025594
ITT: OP is a typical Burger
>>
>>32029018
>to cock an M16 you pull on the forward assist
Someone played too much Counter Strike:Source as a kid
>>
I grew up in a communist country where you get military training starting at grade 4 so I never really had any experience with firearms that wasn't strictly educational until I was already older and knew better

I did have some dumb ideas on other hardware
>thought all tanks were custom and unique in every aspect
>thought any tank could be destroyed with a single well-placed molotov cocktail
>thought a MIG 15 was roughly equivalent to an F-22 in tech
>thought all APCs were amphibious
>thought bombs had to be dropped by timing alone and pilots had no way of knowing how accurate they were
>thought (and secretly hoped) the US would invade any minute for no reason whatsoever
>>
>>32029295
>thought (and secretly hoped) the US would invade any minute for no reason whatsoever

I require details.
>>
Jesus /k/. This thread makes me confused and disappointed.

Came from a no guns family, never had anyretarded misconceptions regarding firearms.

Sure, I displayed advanced vocab and high IQ since youth. But I never expected the levels of ignorance in this thread were widespread ( or even possible).
>>
>>32029319
Seconded anon. Was it like a reverse Red Dawn sort of situation where you would fight off evil Imperialist American Pigs that you wanted, or was it more like you wanted cool Americans to come along with their freedom, democracy, burgers, and capitalism? Honestly not assuming anything, I bet it could go either way.
>>
>>32029319
We were taught from early on that the USA wanted to turn us into a colony, it's ridiculous when you really think about it, but it's the narrative they kept pushing

I missed school once because I had the runs and the next day I got called to the principal's office where he yelled at me for a half hour about how the "Imperialists" and their bombs wouldn't care if I had to take a shit, they would kill me and all I loved all the same (he actually believed it too)

I really hoped they would, I daydreamed all the time about defecting and shooting every commie rat I knew
>>
>>32025972
The first one is slightly similar to how I thought. I thought semi-automatic rifles were outrageously expensive and very few people with a ton of permits we're allowed to get them.
>>
>>32027052
Holy fuck that was definitely me. I used to think when I was little that guns like the M16 and M60 (i used to love vietnam and thought it was the coolest shit ever) had little ports where you'd pour in the gasoline and it would work like a car where there was a little engine that shot out the bullets and the trigger was a gas pedal and you needed a drivers license to shoot. Was so shocked to shit when I realized I wouldn't be arrested for shooting a gun because I didn't have a drivers license.

Also thought that all bullets were fucking huge like an inch in diameter and that by wearing a soft kevlar vest you could stop .50 BMG
>>
>>32028882
he never mentioned day of defeat anon.
>>
>>32029343
>Came from a no guns family, never had anyretarded misconceptions regarding firearms.
Because your family was nogunz you weren't dreaming about AK47s at 8 years old in the same way that a hazguns family kid would that had actually seen people shoot them.
>>
>>32028648
To be fair some of the first guns were matchlocks
Though the 'match' was more like a wick, a piece of stiff string/rope that was soaked in oil or wax, and would slowly smolder
>>
>>32028625
RELENTLESS
>>
>>32029388
Damn dude. I can't imagine those feels.
>>
File: IMG_0054.png (236KB, 454x319px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0054.png
236KB, 454x319px
>>32026773
You're actually completely right, anon

For me,
>thought AKs were illegal in US
>thought you had to have a "gun license" to own a gun in the US
>thought revolvers fired because the hammer directly impacted the primer
>thought revolvers innately did more damage than semi-autos
>thought that piston ARs worked by literally pushing the entire casing out the barrel via hydraulics
>thought army's standard issue soft Kevlar was completely bulletproof
>thought that there hadn't been a man portable .50 rifle before the Barrett because the recoil would blow your arm off
and the worst one
>actually believed holding a shotgun under each arm and firing at the ground would launch you about 10 feet in the air
>>
>>32026857
ON MY POSITION
>>
>>32029418
That last one
>try this as an adult
>shoot yourself in the foot
pottery
>>
i grew up with guns and my father made sure i didnt have many misconceptions but i had no info on any other military equipment or the military in general.
>thought battle took place in open fields with chest high walls
>thought military training involved a select few of the best fighting each other to the death and the one that lived became apart of the secret service
>i thought the u.s was a monarchy and the gulf war was the u.s annexing parts of the middle east
>>
>>32027095
I wasn't aware there was another way
>>
>>32029371
Reverse red dawn sounds about right, except I would have fought on the invaders' side

>>32029415
To this day if the US ever did decide to invade I would sign up instantly
>>
File: 1445142663445.png (285KB, 444x440px) Image search: [Google]
1445142663445.png
285KB, 444x440px
>>32029393
>at the range with my fuel injection AR
>load up some magazines, refill gas tank
>shift gear from safe to semi auto
>gearbox starts to make grinding noises
>shit I forgot to hold the trigger down halfway while changing gears
>try to gently press, but the engine in the stock is chugging and making my rifle shake around, so I end up mashing the trigger instead
>violent slamfire as engine backfires
>range officer starts to walk over to me
>he's yelling about needing to see my license
>oh fuck oh fuck I'm not eighteen yet
>I've never even gone to shooting school
>exhaust is filling up my lane
>black smoke everywhere
>fucking surplus
>eventually run out of gas, hurriedly pack up and bicycle home
>>
>>32029393
>>32029487
That's fucking hilarious
>>
File: IMG_2106.gif (564KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2106.gif
564KB, 800x430px
>>32029404
>>32029487
my fucking sides
>>
>>32028529

I thought the P90 fired 9mm
>>
>>32029487
Why hasn't this been made a thing yet?
>>
>>32027052
I didn't because, despite living in Britain, my father told me about guns. He grew up in Australia in the 60's and was ex-army. The first time I really had an in-depth look into the mechanics of firearms I was still quite young (9 or 10) when I got a book about the history of automatic weapons. It went from the very first volley fire firearms, Nordenfelt guns, Gatlings, Pom-Poms, Maxims etc right the way to the Vulcan, FN MAG and included things like the Stoner LMG, G11 and other experimental systems. Detailed explanations of operating systems with cutout drawings. By the time I started shooting semi-autos, pistols etc a few years later (in a different country) I had a better understanding than a lot of the people at the shooting club and could tell the difference between Spanish and German Mausers from the actions at 13 years old then a few years later I found Forgotten Weapons just as the youtube channel started and now I bore people with long detailed explanations of the history of firearms development and notes about obscure prototype weapons. I have become Ian in a no-guns country.
>>
>>32025594
Not me but when I was in middle school some fuckboi tried to tell me that all guns had gears in them, presumably to actuate the magazine.

At the time I had never seen a gun in person, didn't have an affinity for them, but I still knew that was bullshit
>>
File: 1445467322483.jpg (65KB, 517x768px) Image search: [Google]
1445467322483.jpg
65KB, 517x768px
>>32029487
Top notch.
>>
Used to think MGs used a long wire to advance the belt, and that Lebels used a bunch of gears to feed rounds. Like, teeth on the bolt and a gear to raise a loafing platform. I didn't know how extractors worked, and whenever I tried to be a master gun designer at age 8 I had this idea of like, bolwforward or some stupid shit like that, minus any actual functional irl shit in it
>>
File: 1438809126203.jpg (250KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1438809126203.jpg
250KB, 640x960px
>in middle school i thought Colt .45 was the name of a revolver.
>drew shitty sticker figure comics with poorly drawn revolvers with the stick figures bragging about their Colt .45

>called every real weapon by its Goldeneye name, even the AK47
>thought the Goldeneye shotgun's shell rack was its magazine and its shots the shells from the shell rack
>thought hand thrown proxy mines were a common thing

>despite not knowing the internal workings of any firearm, i believed bullpup weapons were impossible and any bullpup weapon in a video game had to be a fantasy weapon
>>
File: 1875_outlaw_7.5in.jpg (22KB, 649x292px) Image search: [Google]
1875_outlaw_7.5in.jpg
22KB, 649x292px
>>32029625
>Colt .45
You weren't wrong, just limited in scope.
>>
>Thought that guns fired the whole round of ammo, and that rounds were called magazines.
>Thought that there were aks 1 through 47 and didn't know they were rifles. I imagined them as pistols.
>Also thought aks were African

The joys of growing up yuropoor
>>
>22lr is a valid caliber for killing people because the bullet bounces around inside them
>>
When I was younger, I thought that you BREEKI CHEEKI. How wrong I was.
>>
>>32029625
>for the longest time couldn't figure out how the internals of a shotgun worked or how the shells were stored in the magazine
>>
>>32028926
I know exactly the scene you mean, it was Transporter 2. They were either Mark 23s or Glock 18s and they definitely don't show her loading new magazines.
>>
>>32028926
Kinda reminds me of dumping heat sinks in Mass Effect. Can't remember now if you ever put new ones in after ejecting the old ones.
>>
File: 1477428998228.png (181KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1477428998228.png
181KB, 480x360px
>>32027129
>>32027145
>>32027367
>Had a cap gun
>Could never (and still can't) figure out how to use it
>>
File: 1478994322965.png (286KB, 475x599px) Image search: [Google]
1478994322965.png
286KB, 475x599px
>>32029765
>still can't
what is it a G11 capgun or something you just put caps in it and pull the fucking trigger anon
>>
>>32027095
Well, you got me
>>
>>32029412
I mean like a kitchen match. Like the trigger was a lever on an axis which would strike and light the match on the inside and light all the powder
>>
File: 1478461358053.gif (677KB, 255x170px) Image search: [Google]
1478461358053.gif
677KB, 255x170px
>>32029794
I'VE FUCKING TRIED IT NEVER WORKS
>>
I thought gatling guns fired out of all barrels simultaneously, and spun to air-cool the barrels.
>>
Only ever had the most basic idea of how guns worked mechanically. Still do for the most part, since Australian I really only understand bolt and lever actions. (I simply lack any form of mechanical knowledge. I can put a car engine together from scrap parts and rudimentary diagrams but have no idea how any of it works)

As a child was thoroughly convinced that a ricochet was highly likely to come flying back and hitting me in the face, no matter what calibre, target or animal I was shooting.

Even today my father is convinced .222 is more than enough for anything we're likely to be hunting, including rather large boar, and .223 is a shitty meme round
>>
>>32029412
I mean like a kitchen match. Like the trigger was a lever on an axis which would strike and light the match on the inside and light all the powder
>>
File: GyroJetCartridge.jpg (59KB, 600x635px) Image search: [Google]
GyroJetCartridge.jpg
59KB, 600x635px
>when I was a kid I thought that bullets work like little rockets (like the Gyrojet ones in pic rel)

I can't be the only one
>>
File: 400px-Doomchaingun.jpg (53KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
400px-Doomchaingun.jpg
53KB, 400x267px
>>32029794
>>32029860
I had one of these glorious bastards as a child.
>>
>>32029007
Holy shit that book brings back memories
>>
File: 1475718038555.png (386KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1475718038555.png
386KB, 657x527px
>>32029018
>You can paradrop basically anything and it is the best tactic ever

it is the best tactic ever
>>
File: 1478492781081.jpg (218KB, 1280x1084px) Image search: [Google]
1478492781081.jpg
218KB, 1280x1084px
>>32029393
>Drivers license to shoot
>>
>>32029007

Those books were neat as fuck, and pretty heavy for kids books, I remember first reading about the Holocaust and chemical warfare in WWI in Eyewitness books
>>
>>32029484

Where did you grow up anon?
>>
>>32029105
ah! so you DO know how to post without a tripcode
>>
>>32025594
>>When I was a kid I thought you dumped rounds in the back of a Borchardt and magic shot them out

>Child even knowing what a Borchardt is

Is this Ian?
>>
>>32029295
>any tank could be destroyed with a single well-placed molotov cocktail

if u get it inside tho...
>>
>>32028625
>Khornate cultists actually believe this
>>
>>32025594
When I was real young, I thought World War 2 was just the world against Japan and that Pearl Harbor was the only battle.
>>
>>32026683
if you took your trip off the other day and made that thread about not seeing the joy in shooting anymore, maybe you are depressed man. You obviously still like guns and the culture so why mow do you see it in a neg light?
>>
>>32025594
>thought Desert Eagle fired .50 BMG
>thought suppressors make guns quiet like video games
>thought shotguns were basically useless outside of spitting range

That's about all I can remember getting wrong. Thankfully I wasn't massively misinformed by much growing up, and got to inspect some old guns at my great-grandpa's place after he died.
>>
The only misconception I can recall having as small child was I thought guns fired the bullet and casing went with it.
>>
>>32028825
I was the lame guy on the playground making fun of someone like you when they got it wrong

A few years ago my friend was 18 or something, and he was diehard committed that the hinge on a break action shotgun is called a spoon, because our friends trolly dad said so.
I had like 8 guns at that time, so I wasn't bout to let it go.
He thought an ak-47 was in 5.56, when he was 18-19
>>
>>32027371
This, so much this
>several regular troops dressed in battle gear with rifles
>one commander in a dress uniform with pistol
>>
>>32025594
I used to think that that only the magazines in guns such as the Bren could logically work, every other gun with mags that pointed downwards had gravity-defying bullets.
>>
>>32025594
>Watching Windtalkers with my family
>Could not comprehend that the Pacific front and Vietnam are different things.
>Kept asking my Dad why none of these soldiers are using M16s.
>>
>>32029395
He's saying that it also came up in Day of Defeat- you couldn't reload the M1 Garand until it was empty.
>>
>>32029071
>That last one

You just reminded me. When i was a kid and heard about the ACR, I thought it could literally accept three different kinds of ammunition. Like, you could load it with 5.56, empty that magazine, throw in a mag of 7.62x39, empty that, and then throw in a mag of 5.45x39 and it would fire all three perfectly fine.
>>
>>32029109

No, that's stupid, he sounds like a dumb fudd. You buy a pretend gun to play pretend and have pretend gun fights with friends.

He might normally be a good guy but that would suck growing up like that
>>
I thought that the magazines for automatic weapons were batteries, that they were somehow air-powered, and that if you were holding a rifle by its magazine while firing the flesh and skin on your hands would get ripped into the vents on the side by air pressure.
>>
>>32030172
Cuba

>>32030218
Of course, but I thought if you could hit just the right spot on the exterior the whole thing would somehow get cooked

There were a lot of tales of "valiant soviet soldiers" taking out tigers and shit with molotovs, and I wasn't savvy enough to understand how tanks work
>>
>>32026692
Fuck off and die.
>>
When I was about 4 I believed:
>it takes 2 bullets to kill someone, no matter what caliber or where they are hit
>thought spent cartridges were full rounds being ejected, thought it was incredibly wasteful when they could be used to shoot stuff instead
>machine guns fire forever in movies, so they must have infinite ammo
>>
>>32027320
Laaame
>>
>>32029239
I used to think the same thing until I played America's army and paid close attention to the training courses.
>>
>>32029109

Stockholm syndrome
>>
>>32025594
As a kid, I always thought the Borchardt looked like an octopus. It still does.
>>
>>32029102
Probably thought it used some electric motor
>>
>>32025594
>all gooks are the same
This is true desu.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (313KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
313KB, 1920x1080px
>>32026032
>>I used to think fully automatic guns worked via internal batteries
well some do technically
>>
>>32026490
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i-nMWgBUp0
>65% more bullet per bullet
>>
>>32026680
>>thought metric measurements of ammunition were bullet diameter x bullet length, 7.62x51 meant the bullet was 7.62mm in diameter and 51mm in length and the case was just there to accommodate the length of the bullet
I still don't know how that measurement works
is it bullet circumfrence?
>>
>>32026704
>go bear hunting without a 40mm Bofors.
this kills the bear
>>
>>32025594
>the entire round fires, casing and all
Anyone else?
>>
>>32029643
That's a remington
>>
>>32028563
I've worn one for a long time
>tfw no sks/ak/nugget to complete the outfit
>>
>thought it was the coolest thing ever that pistols have the magazine in the grip
>like holy shit I thought that was complete ingenuity

>AK never jams meme

>thought WW1 snipers were essentially just pipes with scopes
>also thought that soldiers in WW1 were using muzzle loaders

>thought that the barrels of a double barreled shotgun also acted as a tubular magazines
>hence the long barrels

>thought all revolvers used black powder
>>
>>32031820
>what is google?
retard pls go
>>
>>32031820
Case length.
>>32031957
In that time you could have typed what I typed.
>>
>7 years old, watched Saving Private Ryan
>My friends and I would all pretend to be privates during wartime in our games
clearly if they made a movie about a private he was important
>friends mom asked us why we shoot so low when we pretend to be soldiers

Life was always different after that.
>>
i thought they fired the whole bullet
>>
>when someone was hit at close range with a 12 guage they would go flying across the room.
>Suppressors actually silence the weapon to the point that you could only hear the weapon cycle.
>half of the force of the powder igniting sent the bullet down the barrel and the other half acted backwards on the bolt to cycle the weapon.
>>
I used to think shotguns were effective in combat scenarios.
>>
>>32026414
>gravity bombs
Please explain?
>>
>air rifles don't really work, because there is no empty case after firing
>>
>>32026519

it actually is a clip you noguns faggot
>>
>>32029487
MY SIDES!!!
>>
>>32028521
He met someone with a brain. Tryi it sometime.
>>
>>32032212
Bombs, usually unguided, that rely on the force of gravity to meet their targets.
The Mk. 82 Bomb is a good example of a gravity bomb, containing a high explosive filler and being dropped from a plane.
>>
>>32030931
>my grandpa once saw me playing first medal of honor
>mp40
>"don't hold it by the magazine, it'll rip your hand off"
>grandpa was a cranky old fuck, always made up shit I couldn't verify because internet hadn't been invented yet, to this day I don't know why he did it
>it made some sense, mags were "solid" boxes for a reason
>figure that while chambering the round the bolt travels quite fast so it acts as a piston creating suction behind it
>magazines are wobbly so you can take one out of the gun while firing if you're not careful
>the bolt "won't know" that the magazine is missing so it'll try to chamber something regardless
>since everything is happening so fast, the hand of the shooter will be near the mag well
>the bolt will suck up a finger, chamber it and most importantly, it'll go off.
>which finger is shot is dependant on the caliber of the gun
>some years later
>watching some movie or tv show
>operators operating
>wait a min...
>OH FOR FUCKS SAKE, THEY'RE HOLDING THEIR GUNS BY THE MAGAZINES
>ANY SECOND THEY CAN LOOSE THEIR HANDS
>even later
>shooting a "serious" gun for the first time
>vz58
>hand automatically goes to the mag to help press the gun to the shoulder
>chills, cold sweat, legs shake
>hand on the handguard
>"was a close one..."
>few rounds later
>remember that I'm like 23
>fuck this, I know how a gun operates
>grab it by the mag
>shoot
>magazine gets loose
>bolt sucks up my hand
>chambers my index finger
>best grouping of the day

also I was only allowed to play games where you killed germans. grandpa was born in 1936 in Poland so we spent a lot of time together shooting them in the legs and laughing at their slow agony.
>>
File: 1478923443272.png (253KB, 560x620px) Image search: [Google]
1478923443272.png
253KB, 560x620px
>>32027129
>>32027145
>Playing cap guns with a friend
>Sights clearly dead on him while he standing still as I shoot him
>"I got you"
>"No you didn't!"
>He shoots at me
>>
I thought grenade launchers made a PA-THUNK noise and crossbows made a SPUNK noise when both just sound like guns.

I thought you reloaded the 1887, and thus all lever action rifles too, by constantly putting a round in the barrel.

Thought .50 AE was basically .50 BMG.
>>
>>32032492
germans aren't people
>>
>>32032577
Oh, to explain the 1887 thing,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjLTCSlHbuo
And I was noguns 7 years ago.
>>
>>32032633
I can't imagine myself shooting a dog, cat, fuck, even a mice. but I honestly don't see anything wrong with killing a german. like, I was genuinely more upset about velcro strip on my fleece jacket coming off than about the last shooting. not trying to be edgy, but I have more empathy even for russians.
>>
File: 1469765629870.png (201KB, 322x395px) Image search: [Google]
1469765629870.png
201KB, 322x395px
>>32032734
>>
>>32032751
i don't watch chinese cartoons so you'll have to explain that one to me
>>
>>32029487
That's good!
>>
>thought mp5s were just mini ARs because of how similar the receivers looked
>thought we were at perpetual war with the british
>thought we were at perpetual war with germany
>thought machine guns had motors attatched to them that allowed them to shoot so fast
>gatling guns fired 6 shots at once
>>
>>32025594
>thought drum magazines were absolutely full and had 500 rounds in them
>that you can airdrop MBTs
>that air-to-air missiles could chase you for tens of minutes
>that artillery round arrived on target instantainously
>that modern battles are always fought at very close ranges, like guys and tanks shooting at each other from 50-100 meters in open field
>that the tiger/abrams tanks are super indestructable steamrollers
>that US special forces were invincible super operators that could take on hundreds of hajis/east euro redshirts each (thanks delta force film series)
>>
>wondered why they didn't just send one guy in with stealthy goggles and a Walter PPK (James Bond gun!) to kill everyone on an enemy base so we can win all wars
>>
>>32032016
Well did you start aiming higher?
>>
Fuck I forgot about one.
>Didn't understand the Cold War was from 1945 to 1991, thought it ended after the Cuban missile crisis.
>>
>thought the cold war was fought in the winter
>>
>>32026151
pink missed
>>
File: anon plz go.jpg (40KB, 293x343px) Image search: [Google]
anon plz go.jpg
40KB, 293x343px
>>32026692

People like you deserve death.
>>
I asked my dad why the nazis were bad when I as 5 and watching Indiana Jones. He told me it was because they had a philosophy of of hate. i heard "a Philosophy of Eight" and spent ten years of my life trying to learn about that.
>>
>>32033273

>>that US special forces were invincible super operators that could take on hundreds of hajis/east euro redshirts each (thanks delta force film series)

Implying that they aren't
>>
>>32025594

>things we thought when we were kids/noguns
>I thought Americans fought all over the world to save us from tyranny, protect freedom etc.

Oh fuck off.
>>
>>32027550
To be far they can be loaded with antipersonnel in case the tank is overrun
>>
>>32034336
Meant for >>32027542
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>32029007
Holy Fuck I just found that same book last night while going through my old bookshelf
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>32029007
From the same book
>>
>>32029007
Mine was a visual history of armored fighting vehicles that led to me fantasizing about krupp stahl
>>
>>32025594
I thought the same thing.m except I was told that we fought against Saddam Husein and I (pretty much inexplicably) pictured him as a Mexican Dastardly Dan flying around in a biplane throwing old school black bombs at people.

I think I watched too much wacky races.
>>
>>32030155

> I remember first reading about the Holocaust and chemical warfare

Sounds like pretty shitty books if they mixed fantasy and fact together like that.
>>
File: euphoric trader.jpg (69KB, 501x585px) Image search: [Google]
euphoric trader.jpg
69KB, 501x585px
>>32032633
>>32032734
>>32032492
>>
>>32025594 (OP)

This needs to happen.
>>
>>32029105
>phil
>staple of the board

Maybe as the fucking class clown or an asshole who's occasionally right about something, but otherwise is nothing more than a complete fucking retard who manages to make an ass of himself every time he posts.
>>
File: IMG_6387.jpg (69KB, 640x627px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6387.jpg
69KB, 640x627px
>>32025594
I used to think the Luger was a one shot pistol that had an extra bullet in a little compartment, that compartment being the charging knob thing on the top. We had a squirt gun Luger and I would pretend to shoot once, then unscrew the side of the knob and drop another round in the top. I think I thought the Luger was from like the 1860s
>>
>>32025786
Fuuuuuuuuck... I was guilty of the same thing.
>>
>>32026704
>40 mike mike hunting
Oh stop, my cock is throbbing already
>>
>>32026434
Not exactly right either.
>>
File: CSR_soldiers_ZB_vz_26.png (442KB, 775x357px) Image search: [Google]
CSR_soldiers_ZB_vz_26.png
442KB, 775x357px
I thought that the entire cartridge was fired from the gun and functioned as an explosive, with the bullet impacting the powder in the case to ignite. On top of that, I thought that the cartridge was propelled by a spring.
At one point, I thought that all automatic weapons fed from a top magazine, as seen on the vz. 26, BREN, or Type 96/99. I would watch the history channel all the time, but my parents didn't like me seeing the war programming, so it was a real treat to be left alone to see some of it. Probably saw one of those guns and just had it imprinted as the only machinegun, and stuck with it for some time.
I ended up becoming really enamored with guns nevertheless, and pretty much learned the basics by the time I was in middle school, despite being nogunz.
>>
>>32029007
Oh man, this series was my childhood, both the books and the videos. IO still have a whole bunch of them somewhere. I started out with the nature ones and fantasized about owning all of the books shown inside the cover.
>>
File: Untitled.png (757KB, 1269x708px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
757KB, 1269x708px
65% more bullet, per bullet
>>
Holy Fuck.. this may take a while

>MP40 Was more advanced then the Thompson (More ammo in mags)
>Semi Auto Sniper > Bolt Action
>PPSH-41 is god gun( Thanks Cod)
>10mm is fake
>.45 is not as big as 9mm
>Lugars are shit
>Garands are shit
>STG 44s are shit
>semi autos kill better then full autos (fuck you every video game ever)
>Revolvers are stupid
>.50 BMG can kill a bear in one shot
>AKs were made by Terrorists
>All German guns are evil
>Casings didnt exist when fired, burnt up like with wads in Muskets
>1887 is a good shotgun( thanks cod, again)
>MP7, Aug, Any bullpup was fake
>Japanese like to kill themselves
>WW2 was awesome
>Vietnam was shit
>Mags are thrown away
>Garands dont go ping

Honestly I can continue all night with this shit
>>
>>32029007
Aww Fuck man.. that book, plus the WW1 one was the best
>>
>>32036608

like half of that is accurate.
>>
I used to think that all guns with a curved magazine were AKs
>>
>>32029007
The library near my house had a bunch of those along with the Star Wars ones with the cutaways of the vehicles, only things I enjoyed there.
>>
>>32032788
It's a reaction image.
>>
>>32028867
>female recruit
>>
When I was like 6 and was into cowboys and injuns, I always had a dream where 4 guys were standing in a square, one guy would shoot a bullet into the ejection port on the next guy, who would shoot the bullet into the next guys gun; and so on in a loop.
>>
>>32026414
>>the JSF was too expensive, just make more A-10s lol
But you're right
>>
>>32036664
In hindsight your right.. also Part 2

>Railguns dont exsist
>Halo Guns are real
>Glocks are amazing
>SPAS 12 is best shotgun ever
>Miniguns dont need batterys
>F-22 is the best fighter jet ever
>Dogs can never die from being shot ( idk how I thought that)
>30-06 is a tiny round
>Russians were still commies
>China are still commies
>Vietnam is just a field of fire
>Japan isnt safe to live because of nukes
>Chernobyl is dangerous
>All M4s come with Holo sights and 40mm
>M240 best lmg
>m60 is loud
>blowback meant air is sucked into the barrel
>shotguns arent effective
>all guns can be shot underwater repetitively
>Bullets travel under water
>Ya just throw grenades and explode upon impact
>WW1 was grey
>Knifes are pointless
>Guns never needed to be reloaded
>Actual cartridges were huge

And thats all for now
>>
>>32036753
I can tell you this now there exsist a book that has all of the cross sections, even a few new ones out for sale
>>
>>32027528
Pretty much this. Ding Chavez with an M16A1 for like every mission in rainbow six as a kid
>>
>>32034777
You have that exact text saved on your computer because I see it so often.
Not even gonna check em
>>
>>32033098
>>thought we were at perpetual war with the british
>>thought we were at perpetual war with germany
>implying
>>
>>32034122
why? not him, but why is being a slavaboo bad? or is it being a libertarian?
>>
File: IMG_8459.jpg (146KB, 590x639px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8459.jpg
146KB, 590x639px
>>32034669
nice meme my german friend
>>
File: y hello ther.jpg (36KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
y hello ther.jpg
36KB, 1280x720px
>>32036808
>Halo Guns are real
>SPAS 12 is best shotgun ever
>All M4s come with Holo sights and 40mm
>M240 best lmg
>m60 is loud

Based on the /v/ness of this post, you played a fair bit of CoD4, MW2, and Halo 3
>>
>>32036608
kinda
kinda
it's actually pretty good, but outdated
no
no
very outdated, but I guess not in a historical sense
same thing, to a lesser extent
no
no
as a concept, they are kind of stupid because revolvers are so complex compared to more basic auto pistols, and worse.
it can
some are
all guns are evil #commonsense #imwithher
no
it's not bad and pretty fun
no
yes
no
yes
sometimes probably
no

a lot of those were true
>>
File: 1475361007246.jpg (78KB, 659x506px) Image search: [Google]
1475361007246.jpg
78KB, 659x506px
>>32029007
>little me checked out eyewitness arms and armor from the elementary school library every week
I actually wanna get that book now and read through it.
>>
>You don't really aim a shotgun. The little ball bearing was just for decoration

>Grenades probably don't weigh much more than a softball

>You need solid bracing to fire a full auto AR or you'd get kicked backwards

>If you turn your head fast enough you can see your ear
>>
>>32029418
>>thought revolvers fired because the hammer directly impacted the primer
Some do though. The only revolver I've ever fired does this.
>>
>>32028827
>I always wondered why soldiers in WW2 movies dindn't just create a wall of machine guns and aimed them up at the sky to create a litteral bullet rain
indirect fire and beaten zones nigga, sometimes they did just that.
>>
>>32025594
>all .30 calibre guns fire .308 - garands, AKs etc.
>5.56 on full auto is like a streak of piss, might as well switch to your 9mm or hit them with a hammer
>"we" use M16s "they" use AKS
>we are everyone in the west/NATO (although I didn't know about NATO I knew britain was allied with the USA/France/germany etc)
>they are everyone else
>thought all automatic pistols were blowback
>"you can just walk into a shop in the USA and walk out with an M60"
>was slightly anti gun, but was very interested in them
>any and all fuddlaw
>everyone used muskets until just before WW1
>there is only one kind of shot

In my defense all of this was long out of my head by the time I was 12 except the different ammunition types thing which I learned slowly during my early teens.
>>
>>32029709

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Transporter_2#Glock_17_.28Converted_to_full_auto.29

holy shit you're right.
Thread posts: 320
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.