[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Firing Range Ownership

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

Hey /k/

Recently I have come across a potential opportunity to open up an indoor firing range. The small city north of my property has strict laws that make it complicated to run such an operation in the city limits. My property is a small drive out of the city in a rural area. I was talking with a gunshop owner in the city and he said he wouldn't mind a partnership and he could recommend his customers to me if I got around to setting up a facility. This business would be operating in Ontario too btw.

I was thinking I would charge fees for personal firearm use on the range, I could rent out firearms, and sell ammo. Even sell various hunting gear on the side and whatnot.

Anyone have any experience in range operations? are they a profitable venture?
>>
>>32019955
>are they a profitable venture?
Liability insurance and environmental compliance is why opening a range is a really, really hard thing to do. Just provide a place that is well maintained and clean and call it a "club" with a monthly or yearly fee. It would be a decent latch key business but by no means a main source of income.
>>
>>32019955
>This business would be operating in Ontario too btw.

Awesome. Whereabouts?

If you want it to be profitable, you'll want to approach the local police forces. They need SOMEWHERE to train, so getting their business would be a huge boon.

The HVAC is going to be costly, fair warning.
>>
>>32019979
Yeah that's what I thought when I considered insurance and contaminant compliance. Ultimately this would be a side venture, I got a few main ideas to focus on but I thought a range would be a cool way to profit from my hobbies.

>>32019988
My brother is a very accomplished engineer and he said he would be more than happy to design a good ventilation system for the building. We have made trips down to Florida the past two winters and we have been checking out the ranges down there. Seeing how the freedom states run their stuff and getting ideas.
I like the police concept too, good idea. Plus there are a lot of veterans in my area so I think I could bank on veteran discounts on holidays and whatnot.
I'm located near Cornwall.
>>
>>32020185
>I'm located near Cornwall.
>The small city north of my property

Wait, if Cornwall is North... Is your property on Cornwall Island?
>>
>>32020384
Bingo, bud. Close vicinity to Cornwall with almost none of the high restrictions.
>>
This is hard to do. Make up a plan, you'll have to be able to draw a floor plan for permits and talk to the landlord in the space about the type of business you want to have. You'll have to talk to your town about how to open such a place (Cooperate with anything these guys may say)

Chances are the insurance and costs of maintenance will be high. Your profits will need to be, and you will have a reputation for being expensive. Here's some money making ideas

1. Rent out RANGE-OWNED firearms, do a quick clean of them after every use (Boresnake and a blast out with WD-40 in 20 seconds is all you need) to keep them going strong. Look at local competition for how they price out
2. ONLY allow your ammo to be shot. Buy brass, for just about every caliber, and sell it with a huge markup. Insurance may require this due to liability reasons as well
3. Host a SMALL store inside the range. Sell targets, staplers and guns, eye/ear protection, anything someone might need. Offer to rent out this equipment as well if someone doesn't have eye/ear protection with them
4. Sell range time by the hour, by head count (not per lane) something like $5-$10/hr is good

It's hard to stay in business, ESPECIALLY this business, and people will rip into you thinking you're swimming in money when you can barely keep the lights on
>>
>>32020533
Follow-up

When working with the gun store, work out some key details

1. They advertise signs for you, and you for them. You can each swap out cards in case customers ask for more info
2. Ask if he can supply firearms for rent on the range, or split costs with you. In turn you and any staff you eventually have should recommend all gun sales to the store. You'll find lots of potential gun buyers want to rent out a firearm and use it before buying, so you could send him direct sales this way (Something he can't really do for you)
3. Don't be afraid to ask questions, he could be a great resource on how to get your permits and how to get in with the distributors.
>>
>>32020533
Fuck your #2. If I go to a range and they demand I only shoot their ammo, I tell them to get fucked. If I go to a range that lets me shoot whatever ammo, I'm more likely to buy their ammo off the shelf because they're bros and I want to support their business. I'll buy their ammo, I'll buy their targets, I'll buy their guns, I'll throw my money at them because they're not obviously money-grubbing bastards.
>>
>>32020533
>ONLY allow your ammo to be shot.

For range-owned guns, I agree. Otherwise, it's kinda shitty. What happens if someone walks in and wants to shoot his old .44 Russian revolver? Too bad for him because OP doesn't have a stock in obsolete rounds?
>>
>>32020603
seconded
>>
>>32020572
Yeah I was thinking I'd leave firearm sales up to my partner, less of a hassle on my end. Then he could send me loaner rifles for test purposes. "wanna try this gun? check out our partner at the range" sort of deal.

What about reloading bullets? worth while? I heard you can save a lot by reloading rounds like .44's versus buying new rounds from manufacturers.
>>
>>32020533
>How to start a range so shitty nobody will want to shoot there in 4 easy steps!
>>
>>32020691
Got some better ideas?
>>
>>32020533

That #2 is a load of shit.

The huge markup is just salt in a needless wound if the gun is not rented.

It'd be a pain in the dick if you rented a U-Haul and could only fuel up at a A-Haul store with their $6/gallon gas, no?
>>
Think there would be potential for some gubermint money if you offer firearm/hunting safety courses on the side?
>>
>>32020691
>can only shoot range's shit ammo marked up 150%
>have to pay by the hour per head
Fuck that, I'd take my business elsewhere.
>>
>>32023653
Whats the better alternative?
>>
File: NRA Range Services.png (120KB, 1256x507px) Image search: [Google]
NRA Range Services.png
120KB, 1256x507px
>>32019955
>Anyone have any experience in range operations?

Contact the NRA;

https://rangeservices.nra.org
>>
>>32024465
Would these services be offered in Canada?
>>
>>32024552

Contact the NFA/CSSA/CCFR.
>>
File: typical-canadian-home.jpg (105KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
typical-canadian-home.jpg
105KB, 500x333px
>>32024552
>Would these services be offered in Canada?

Dunno, but you can send the NRA an email and see what they say.

They'll probably hook you up with somebody in Canukistan who can help.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.