[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

.22 defensivley

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

File: rugermkiii.jpg (144KB, 816x612px) Image search: [Google]
rugermkiii.jpg
144KB, 816x612px
Thinking about getting a Ruger MKIII to use as my all around pistol
I was wondering about the viability of a .22 as a defensive cartridge

INB4

>a hit with a .22 is better than a miss with x
>a .22 will only piss them off
>a .22 is better than x(nothing, sharp stick, rocks, etc.)
>a .22 will bounce around inside them
>a .22 is only good for varmints
>Israeli Mossad masturbation
>FBI statistics say ________
>ballistic gel says ________
>.22 isn't as reliable as a centerfire cartridge
>if they're drugged up not even x will stop them

I just want personal experience,
minor research says you can get a 40gr bullet going 1181 out of a MK III 5.5"
which would equate to 123.86 foot pounds
(BBTI is to be trusted as precise)
I've hunted small to medium deer with a .22
I'm thinking if it can pierce a deer it can pierce a human.
That's the logic I'm going on, if you have anything to add it would be very helpful.
>>
Ruger MK I*
(which I'm thinking will have similar ballistics to the MK III)
(if BBTI is trusted to be precise)*
>>
>>32019022
It will poke holes in people. It will be quiet... Especially if you suppress it. I know of people who have used it in HD situations because of the low noise of the round just to save thier hearing while shooting indoors.
I am a subsonic 9mm guy myself though
>>
>>32019056
that's what I was thinking If I use my can on it or use a forward blow comp

It'll definitely be quieter than a .38/.357
>>
>>32019084
Use .22 subsonic and a can and it sounds like somebody putting a glass down on a glass tabletop.
>>
>>32019022
>Israeli Mossad masturbation

What's wrong with that? They have legitimate real world verified kills with .22 caliber Berettas
>>
>>32019022
Great gun in siege riot scenarios as it is dirt cheap can be had in thousands in small containers. And can send the less determined fleeing so you know you only have hard cases left that are actually targeting you. That said expect to be arrested later but at least no tears at loosing a 10/22. Now your real weapons. ..... shit sucks bro
>>
>>32019022
Despite not being "ideal" as a person would like, it's still a firearm and very capable of killing someone.
I'd say the worst thing about it is that rimfire's can be on the unreliable side, both in feeding, and primers having very high failure rates compared to centerfire.
>>
You have to use VATS to really get the most out of the .22 suppressed.
>>
>>32020780
Don't forget about the bonus damage to limbs.
>>
For me it comes down to the berretas or the gsg/sig 1911.

Threaded barrels standard, functional and familiar parts and intuitive point and shoot system.

Bought the 1911 before i knew about the berreta, still a comfy carry peice. For 250 out the door i got a target grade 1911, and a ten dollar follower gives its magizne 14 rounds.

Very easy to carry, and a effective way to mag dump into someone's pelvice.
>>
>>32019022

Better than no gun but inadequate for self defense.
> Low velocity, low penetration
> Tiny wound channel
> rim-fire is not as reliable as center-fire, granted we're talking six sigma levels of reliability with modern manufacturing. 99.99 vs 99.998, etc.

Will it kill someone? Yes. But in a self defense situation, are you going to have Oper8r level shot placement? Hell no. Adrenaline makes aiming that much harder.

Ruger MK III is a neat little target gun but PITA to take apart and maintain, I wouldn't want one for EDC.
>>
>>32019022
Very few people have experience with self-defense shooting at all.

When you look at caliber, you have to consider your own personal performance versus performance of the caliber.

Now you want .22 as a defensive cartridge, so here are my thoughts on it.

>.22 is pretty quiet, so in a Home Defense scenario you won't be blasting your ears out
>almost all pistol cartridges suck of course, but .22 is the most likely to have an attacker go a good minute on adrenaline before realizing he's been shot
>S H O T P L A C E M E N T
>In addition to shot placement, if you're going for a .22 defensive, you should really be practicing accurate followup shots. Especially since .22 has such mild recoil, you should be making up for the ft/lbs by putting a LOT more of it on your target
>As an all-around pistol, assuming you also want to go plinking, Ruger Mk. couldn't be a better choice. Accurate as all hell, and .22 is cheap.
>>
Agreed shotplacement op.
Aim for the balls.
Artery on either side and a bullet nicking the pelvis will stop someone no mater how roided up they are.

And if you shoot off their dick they will stop fighting. Forever probably.

No man can stand 10 rounds of spinning lead death to the gentials
>>
.22 is gonna end up like this:

"Anon, you shot anon2 in self defense?"
"Yes."
"Then how do you explain the 27x bullet wounds to anon2? You are sentenced guilty for murder in cold blood."
>>
>>32021432

I don't think a .22 is very likely to shatter the pelvis.
>>
.22lr out of a 10/22 is fine. Out of a handgun not so much.

Better than no gun, but if you have better options go with the better options.

I have a .357mag set up with electronic ear pro next to it so that I can blind and temporarily deafen whoever I'm shooting at lol
>>
>>32021364
Every cop in America probably has some experience with a defensive shooting.
>>
>>32019056
how quiet is 9mm 147 gr through a Glock 17 with a worthwhile suppressor?
>>
>>32021958
LOL INCORRECT.

NOT EVEN FULL SIZE DEPARTMENTS LIKE L.A.P.D. have every one of their officers get in shoot outs

Having to pull your gun on a person because you think they might have a gun doesn't equal defensive shooting.

Look up the stats. If that were the case, being a cop would be the number one dangerous job in America but it doesn't even statistically make the top 10 .

And that's talking about places like LAPD.... let's not even mention the little hick town P.D.s

By the way. I've noticed the little towns with police with nothing to really do are the most tacticool retards out of all the type of P.D.s
>>
>>32021966
Loud enough to shoot semi comfortably without earpro. Loud enough to not be used for your splinter cell/mgs/syphonphilter/perfectdark/ fantasies.
>>
>>32022226
>By the way. I've noticed the little towns with police with nothing to really do are the most tacticool retards out of all the type of P.D.s

Nope, those are the state police.
>>
>>32019022
the washington mall "mass" shooting was a guy with a 10/22
>>
>>32019022

I think you have better options than the Ruger, but .22 is fine as long as you're realistic with your expectations.

>ie: It's a better suppress-and-retreat weapon than one to end the fight on your terms.
>>
>>32019022
I got no problems with you using a .22 for self defense, as long as you are aware of the reliability issues inherent in rim fire ammo.
But really a MK I? Have you ever cleaned one? The MK IVs have been out a while now and they are amazingly simplified. I'm assuming b/c you can one for super cheap, but whatever. Semi-auto .22s need to be kept clean as fuck to minimize failures.
>>
>>32019022
I'd say use a Buck Mark Micro instead.

Or a Ruger revolver in 22 like the GP 100 or SP101.
>>
>>32021860
Dude.
You are wrong. And in this land of information, you choose to be wrong.
>>
>>32022430
>MK IV
Fucking hell it took them 60 years to do this? Fuck stripping a MK II.
>>
>>32021492
Unless you live in Texas or Arizona.
>>
>>32019022
Get the MKIV it's not a nightmare to take apart like all of the previous Ruger MKs.

A .22lr isn't going to have that great of penetration or dump much energy into them so I wouldn't use it.
>>
>>32019022
How come they don't make these in .380?
>>
>>32022963
Yes, but they got rid of the competition model at the same time they finally got their shit together enough to do this.
>>
A Ruger MKI/II/III is fine until you need to take it apart, then it is the biggest piece of shit in the entire world. I would rather drag my balls through shattered glass than take apart and re-assemble that motherfucking bitch one more time.
>>
>>32021305
The potmetal slide on the GSG/sig 1911 sucks.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.