[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Le recurve

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_20161116_212020219.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161116_212020219.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I went n killed Chamonix, my lovely ol recurve Bow. I dropped it in dewy grass n got left there 24 hrs.

In my defence, I did go stop my neighbour getting rolled in his house by 4 Africans. Fuckin niggers killed my Bow.

Anyway. Need a new one now. (Fix, maybe, but good excuse) What does /k/ suggest in the way of recurve bows? What am I looking for specifically? This was a gift. I bought a compound a while ago but I don't like it much, no feel, ergonomics all wrong, n pull is to short. sure I could tweak it, but would cost buckets in gimmicky. the recurve has had 4 strings on it now n never felt wrong. Getting ever shorter as my shoulders beefed.

Chamonix was rated at 22 lb at 64in, but I've probably pulled 4-5 in off the string over the years. The 40lb compound is effort, but not hard.

So, what Bow comes /k/ recommend? I'm pretty much just plinking targets in the back yard, nailed some bunny's tho when holiday n far from people.

Au supplier preferred, but can wait for worthy.
>>
File: 1479135437612.jpg (63KB, 773x500px) Image search: [Google]
1479135437612.jpg
63KB, 773x500px
>>32017310

There might be one person here who knows about bows, and it's not me. Good luck getting an answer OP
>>
>>32017549
Wasn't there a guy talking about selling bows at nugget fest ?
>>
The limbs appear to be removable, just buy new ones.
>>
>>32017310
I would like to hear more about this rolling of your neighbors house
>>
>>32018026
This, OP, read this.
>>
>>32017310
You have a takedown bow.

Buy new limbs.

Alternatively if you want a whole new bow, Samick's Sage is a competently built bow in the $120 range available in both right and left handed and with limbs ranging from 25-80lbs.
>>
>>32017310
Can't help you OP but I think archery is badass and more people should learn it
>>
File: 3880126_4.jpg (80KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
3880126_4.jpg
80KB, 1500x1500px
>>32018080
I would recommend this as well, I have pic related from Lancaster archery. Never shot it though desu, I'm innacampus

The Lancaster one looks slightly different in the image than the one samick sells on amazon
>>
>>32018042
>In back yard takin potshots.
>Hear ruckus across the road
>drop Bow, grab uber torch (35w Xenon spottie in dolphin body and lipo)
>light Up across the road
> 2 niggers flee one one way, then one the other
>neighbour gambolling around on the ground with another
>back inside, compound is close, grab with arrow. Know is totally inaccurate, but looks badass
>neighbour has kicked up last nig, both pretty beat, I yell 'gtfo, or I *will* shoot you'
> Nig hastens to depart
> Go n meet neighbour, dafuq happened there bro?...
> Selling iPhone on gumtree (kinda Craigslist for ausfags), 4 nigs rocked up to buy, wouldn't flash cash, when pushed, jumped for phone
>Two bailed when he showed stones
>3rd bailed when spottie
>He had pulled knife on 4th. kicked some dust
>4th decided outclassed vs bow
>pissbolts, hollers 'we'll be back to kill you'
>Neighbour agrees he didn't see Bow, I didn't see knife (ausfags remember)
>cops rock up a hr later, do their thing, take statements, samples etc
>Still twitchy, pace around for a few hours with all airguns primed an arrows stashed.
>no niggers
>exhausted, late for work
> Later... busted Bow :-/

Yeah, its a breakdown model. A good point. I can get staves in differing weights I presume? What standards are there out there?

It is an excuse to upgrade my kit, I admit. But I don't want to see this Bow wasted, it was a 21st present. I can go both I guess. Gimme what u know /k/
>>
Samick Sage is cheap, reliable, and solid quality. Highly recommended.
>>
>>32017310
If you're looking for an upgrade take a look at some of the traditional bear bows.
If you're just looking for a replacement just get a samick sage or new limbs for your current bow.
>>
>>32018374
Shitty situation all around sounds like.

Most limbs are sold in 5lb increments (25, 30, 35, etc) as a set. ALWAYS buy as a set, because they're matched to each other.
>>
Admit, Op is a little hesitant on what his mind reads as 'sammich SAGE'. To much bloody 4chan.

But it does look pretty aiight. whats the arrow rest like? Thats what was eating my arrows on the compound. Slightly afeared if I go a much higher poundage that will happen again. Rip flights off.

Any gimmicky that is useful? Guards are useless if ur doin it right, and most of the fun I get from bows is computing (arrow*force)/trajectory=target , so schmancy targeting apparatus just makes that harder n less fun. Nocking marks on the string arnt even nessecary, you know when ur arrow isn't square.

I will caveat I'm totally informal, no club or anything, just me getting Zen with my Bow n some carpet n foam...
>>
>>32018685
Standard rest is a little plastic finger rest, which is removable. You can shoot off the shelf or you can buy a fancy rest.

Most traditional bows work best with real-feather fletching, the plastic vanes are too stiff and tend to kick the ass of the arrow askew when the fletching hits the shelf/riser. If you wish to/are stuck with platic vanes, get the longer 4-5" ones, they're not as tall as and more flexible than the 2" Blazers, and generally do a better job stabilizing the arrow.

About the only gimmick/gadget I like on a traditional bow is a kisser button.
>>
>>32018717
Also, if you'd like, I sell them where I work. I can take detailed pics a bit later.
>>
>>32018675
But *random company* limb will be fine in *other companies* ... Stock? Handle. Bit you Bolt onto and hold? Just check it fits n she goes? That makes things heaps simpler.

Might just go the sage as a early merry Xmas pressie.

Apologies if I'm soundin noobish, but I've not found one decent community. Most seem to be debating Slim Jim's nutsack support brace vs Barry's buttplug reinforceing bracket.

Arrows? How to define them n what works where?
>>
>>32018837
lol. Center piece is called the riser.

If the limbs are the same width it should be bolt n' go, but not everybody's limbs are the same width. Should be able to look that up though.

Arrows are defined by two things:
>length
Obviously, how long it is. Just be careful, some measure from the end of the nock and some measure from the string (which is usually only a 1/8" difference, but still).
>spine weight
This is how flexible the arrow is, and should be matched to your bow and you. There's a matrix for it, but generally with traditional bows it goes:
>0-45lbs draw weight, any length
500 spine/"youth" arrow
>45-70lbs draw weight, 23"-30" arrow
400 spine
>70-90lbs draw weight, 23-30" arrow OR 60-75lb draw weight, >30" arrow
350 or 320 spine (difference is negligible)
>over 90lbs draw weight, any length arrow
You're looking at custom arrows, you beast you

Most arrow boxes will have a matrix on the back that you can go down and find the right spine for what you shoot within that particular brand, as spine is only semi-standardized.

A lot of arrows will also have "grains per inch/GPI" marked on them. This is primarily important to hunters as it effects how heavy the arrow is over all (which effects penetration), but is relevant to people trying to buy arrows from different brands/lines. For example, a 30" 9.8GPI arrow will not fly the same or hit in the same place as a 30", 9.1GPI arrow. Which is why you should try to buy arrows from the same brand and line.
>>
this is the most Australian thing I've read all day
>>
>>32017310
You got that kind of delamination from 24 hours in dewy grass? Shitfire, man, that sucks. Can't believe there isn't a coating from the factory to prevent that.
>>
>>32018913
Thanks, this does help. ;-)

It's very un-useful that most archery stuff is imperial, so might as well be referring to drachms/fathom. The physical relationship to a number just isn't obvious. Sure you can convert it, but it's not simple or intuitive. N I'm not local to an archery Shop, so I can't just look around n pick what feels right. Lenght is easy to figure out, but I've just got fed up n taken a guess on spine Weight.

>spine weight
This is how flexible the arrow is, and should be matched to your bow and you.

Ctrl-c;v 'd

Kisser makes sense, now I think bout it. I've just been using my knuckle on a spot on my neck. Nice job /k/, if you can rustle some pics, that's be ace of ya
>>
>>32019249
I'm not sure if stuff sold in Aus is metric or imperial. I know a lot of the crap coming out of China is in metric, which is a fucking foreign language to me being a burger.

I go to work in about 4 hours, will post pics.
>>
>>32019044
Just to confirm, my cat brought me in a wee snek last week. *Webm encoder being a cunt, pic exists but no upload,*
Not sure of species had the backfold fangs of some of the really poisonous bastards. Fortunately all gummed up with catfluff.

>>32019111
It is old, n the weather has been totally fucked atm. Humid, humid, scorching (37c), then cold n rain. Humid, day in the Sun, cold night, that'll do it, yeh?
>>
>>32018080
>You have a takedown bow.
>Buy new limbs.
This, as long as the riser isn't fucked you're fine.

Another good option is Martin's line of TD's, all of their limbs are interchangeable between all wood and aluminum versions.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.