[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the hell happened to this brass?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1115161828b.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1115161828b.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
What the hell happened to this brass?
>>
How is it standing up on the wall like that?
>>
>>32011637
Looks like someone niggering a wildcat into existence
>>
File: 1115161828a.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1115161828a.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Was shooting my remington 1911 R1 with my boss. everything went fine. I put 100 rounds through my gun. Boss was shooting his kimber carry 1911. He dumped 1 mag and called it a day. Afterwards i was picking up my brass from his yard and i found this little bastard. What the hell happened to the end? The rim has been chamfered too somehow? What caused this to happen? I dont think it was from me. Both are winchester but none of the ones i shot got fucked up like this.
>>
File: 1115161833.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1115161833.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
The one without the weird chamfered rim i know i shot from my 1911. I think my boss's kimber fired the messed up one. 95% sure his fired it. Just because i have 100 other casings that look just like this one here. Notice the slight differences in the stamped letters.
>>
.45acp has thin case walls

was it +p ammo?
>>
>>32011660
It's magnetic ammo.
>>
>>32012734
It was hollow points. Not sure if +p tho. Besides the crack, can you explain the chamfered rim and torn tip?
>>
>>32012763
Based on how badly it ruptured on the case, it sounds like a severe overpressure situation that caused that case failure like that. As a result of the overpressure, it looks like the rims of the case were smushed into the back of the firing chamber, probably pressing it against the extractor as well. That would account for the gouge mark on the bottom like that, the tooth of the extractor was probably getting pressed into the case there.
>>
>>32013102
Thanks!

Do you think The missing pieces of the case went out the barrel with the bullet or out the side when it ejected?
>>
>>32011637
Is it factory brass or reloads? If reloads, did the Guy reloading it have on a "feel the bern" t-shirt? If factory, was the ammo dropped? I had a piece drop on the bullet hard enough to force it into the case father. It's possible this caused an overpressure issue. I doubt its the guns mechanics jeopardised, or most likely subsequent rounds would have the same issue.
>>
>>32013235
I have been having some nose diving issues with my gun. This sometimes pushes the bullet into the casing a bit. But i cant really see how my gun would chamfer the rim like this. Its flat where the bullet pushes back
>>
>>32013235
Factory brass
>>
>>32013202
Certainly possible, usually when you have a catastrophic rupture like that, I've seen bits of metal flung out the bore before, that would possible account for the "sheared" look the mouth of that brass has.

>>32013302
If that was factory ammo, that could be a bad batch or just a random overcharge, or like >>32013235
mentioned, a bullet might have been seated too far back causing an overpressure problem.
>>
>>32012763
I can't explain it I don't know a lot about ammo just speculating, I've only heard .45 has thin cases which is why it tends to be low pressure after a hundred years instead of getting a lot of +p.
If I had to guess the chamfer might of got there from the bullet sheering it from going off at an angle, or pressure tearing part of it off when it ruptured the rest of the case and blew it out of the bore.
i would check the bottom of the round above the extractor groove and see if it bulged out a bit in which case it wasn't fully in battery/seated and that might be why it ruptured
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.