[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CCW best practices

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: ccw.jpg (174KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
ccw.jpg
174KB, 1280x960px
What are the best practices while conceal carrying a handgun?

- Always leave a round chambered

- Always leave safety off, if any

- Replace your rounds after 6 months of no use

- Practice with the same gun you're used to carrying
>>
>>31996750
>post pic of 4/10 whore packing a glawk with no magazine

BTFO/10
>>
File: satin_left.jpg (288KB, 1000x732px) Image search: [Google]
satin_left.jpg
288KB, 1000x732px
>>31996750
>always leave safety off
>ammunition expires after six months
>>
>>31996804
She needs to use those weights behind her
>>
File: Cyrus.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Cyrus.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>31996814
>>
File: 1433900544351.jpg (49KB, 500x377px) Image search: [Google]
1433900544351.jpg
49KB, 500x377px
>>31996750
>Always leave the safety off

It's like you want to accidentally shoot yourself in the dick. Just practice turning it off as you draw.
>>
Safety on kiddo
>>
>>31996824
>>31996828

Cyrus hivemind. Now fuck off, I've got work to do.
>>
>>31996828
proper fucking firearm handling should avoid that, what if you forget to turn the safety off, or if the situation is too stressful and you fuck it up?
>>
>>31996874
>proper firearm handling should avoid that
>what if you forget to turn the safety off

If you forget to switch it off, you haven't practiced enough. If you leave the safety off you haven't practiced at all.
>>
>>31996828
>>31996874

Just use a safety decocker
>>
>>31996902
some people carry striker fired instead instead of hammer
>>
>>31985514
Leaving the safety off is a bad idea. First, it's unsafe. Secondly, if the safety turns on unintentionally you'll be in a worse position than if you left the safety on and practiced turning it off each time you draw.

Also, appendix carry is less likely to print if yiy have a reasonably sized gun.
>>
>>31996750
>- Always leave safety off, if any
Depends on the type of gun and trigger. But 95% of the time or more this is true
>>
>A glock with a 5.5lb trigger and no safety is safe to carry
>A double action gun with a 8-10 lb first pull with the safety off is somehow dangerous

RETARD LOGIC
>>
It's so fun seeing the fudds emerge in the CCW threads. If you need a safety, it's because you aren't trained well enough or have such a low IQ that you can't BE trained well enough.
>>
>>31996750
>Replace your rounds after 6 months of no use

I think you mean "rotate loaded/unloaded magazines every six monthws"

spring fatigue is nothing to fuck with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS6L5uSyAmo
>>
>>31997910
>I think you mean "rotate loaded/unloaded magazines every six monthws"
>spring fatigue is nothing to fuck with.
You fucking retard, take a basics physics class, springs are only fatigued when being compressed and uncompressed, not from remaining static.
>>
>>31996750
>Always leave safety off, if any

I think you mean "Don't buy a CCW with a safety"
>>
>>31997926
>what do you mean metals can take a set?

If you took a materials science class, even basic metallurgy you would know that. Sadly you seem to have stopped at basic physics and assumed the model they taught you on took anything other than actuation fatigue into effect.
>>
>>31996750
>mfw the pussy on blast
>>
>>31996750
>What are the best practices while conceal carrying a handgun?

Getting a quick and consistent drawstroke
>>
>>31997910
>no use
It gets tricky.

Suppose you carry Condition 1 but need to clear the gun time to time. How many times can I safely chamber an HP round before its nose is fucked up?
>>
>>31996750
because this is a CCW memeing thread I figure I'll contribute a few more

>carry at least one spare magazine
>never carry a round with less energy than a 9mm
>always carry in a holster which completely covers the trigger guard
>if you pocket carry, the pocket must be completely empty aside from the gun
>use a stiff belt, ideally a purpose made gun belt
>carry a backup gun
>carry a less lethal option (pepper spray, stun gun, kubaton, extendable baton, etc)
>use tritium night sights on your carry gun
>except for the above, do not modify your carry gun outside of manufacturer specs
>carry a white light
>carry a utility knife
>carry a multitool
>practice with your carry gun (once/month minimum)
>practice at various distances from contact to 25+ yards
>practice in low light (or with sunglasses)
>practice against multiple targets
>practice malfunction clearance
>practice shoot/no shoot scenarios
>practice drawing from the holster
>dry fire practice
>DRY FIRE PRACTICE
>"Air gun" your house and figure out best practices for a 1 and 2 person team in case you need to retrieve important people to your safe room or in case you need to evacuate
>stay in "condition yellow" all the time
>if you drink, don't carry
>avoid gun free zones at all costs
>know your local, state, and federal self defense and firearm laws
>document all training and preserve the records.
>consider wildlife and clothing concerns in your area while choosing carry caliber and ammo.
>don't "cross load" your carry magazines, each one should only be filled with a single type of ammo
>only carry premium self defense ammo
>>
>>31997953
>set
You mean stress relaxation? This is not relevant under the stresses experienced in a spring. It is a concern when tightening a screw on an aircraft, but not in a compressed spring far, far away from plastic deformation.
Also creepage is not relevant at room temperature, this can be neglected if you consider a timespan less than a century.
Once and for all: yes, these effects all exist, not, they are not relevant in the lifetime of a magazine.
>>
>>31997984
When in doubt, rotate.

Rotating more often will never steer you wrong unless you do it 10,000+ times, in which case the springs in cheaper magazines may start to fail.
>>
>>31996974
Yeah someone explain this
>>
>>31997910
Not sure if trolling or public school failure
>>
>>31998068
>use tritium night sights on your carry gun

I agree with most of your points but fiber optics are also a good option. There's plenty of people that were invested in tritiums but moved to fiber optic fronts and blacked out rears for self defense.

Some really good videos on this topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzSHXemDSm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cieJQE3M_hA
>>
>>31998102
strikerbabbies that have never touched a single double action revolver or da/sa handgun. These babbies typically cannot explain to you how a da/sa like a beretta or a sig works and why it's even a thing.

Strikerbabbies: not even once
>>
>>31998082
>>31998131

Feel free to repeat what you've been told, anon but I have seen magazine spring failure first hand. It is a real thing that exists.

It's more common in aftermarket or cheap factory mags (see jeminez, etc.) but even expensive magazines like the C-mag, beta mag, and surefire 60 and 100 rounders had extensive records of spring failure after less than 1 year of remaining continuously loaded.

Spring failure is one of the less common types of magazine failure, and rotation of magazines over time is not done exclusively to combat spring fatigue (magazine cleaning should also take place, and inspection of feed lips for plastic deformation) but it is an important consideration.

Compression related spring fatigue in firearms is not only related to magazine failures, either. It is very common among improperly stored (esp. antique) firearms which have had their recoil, main, or hammer/striker springs kept in compression for a long time.

Most people, even most engineers are misinformed about how springs react to compression because the way springs actually react to various sources of stress is very hard to put into an elegant model. Typically the equations they give to model stress in springs have limited scopes of applicability which are not adequately explained due to the scope of the course in which they are taught.

t. anon with bachelors degree in Materials Science Engineering and Masters in MatSciEng: Metallurgy with focus on Aluminum alloys
>>
>>31998138
Fiber optic sights are fragile and reduce the already limited sight radius of compact/subcompact guns by as much as a quarter inch. They may be brighter in optimal conditions and never need to be replaced but they do not function in total (or near total) darkness.

The added durability, sight radius, and v. low light performance granted inherently by tritium makes shelling out a few extra bucks to trijicon or whichever company you choose to buy from worthwhile to me.
>>
>>31996804
Cmon mate. You wouldn't mind being that glock
>>
>>31998179
based anon provides sources
>>
>>31998179
I have been getting mocked by people for YEARS for jacking my truck up every night to relieve stress on its springs to combat spring fatigue and have them last longer BUT WHOSE LAUGHING NOW fuckers
>>
>>31998179
I would rather suspect bad quality in the metal used for these cheap and presumeably bad springs or corrosion in the case of old weapons. And expensive does not always say something about quality. I can accept that what is taught is not necessarily true in all cases, but one should not assume that there is something extraordinary going on just because something appears extraordinary. That is something you should know with a scientific background. And nice titles, I got them myself, no need to throw them around. It doesn't make your statement less false.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.