[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

About to start building my first ak from an 80% receiver what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1200.jpg (45KB, 750x479px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1200.jpg
45KB, 750x479px
About to start building my first ak from an 80% receiver what should I know? Also general build thread
>>
>>31992386
I hope you're starting with a heat treated blank.

And don't let the spot welder tongs heat up too much, and let them cool before removing from the work.

>clamp
>zap (weld)
>hold tongs there until they cool

If you don't you will have divots from hot metal popping out of the spot of hte weld.
>>
>>31992386
Be sure you have everything square before drilling and riveting. Check, check and recheck headspace before drilling for your barrel pin. Don't force anything. Make sure your FSB and GB are straight before drilling and pinning.

Have fun man, I was just thinking about how I need to build another soon
>>
Bumping because I also need this information, about to build my own ak as well.
>>
>>31992422
>>31992605
Thanks. But couldn't I buy a 80% receiver with rails and that are heat treated??
>>
>>31992847
childersguns.com

buy their heat treated 80% blank and some of their heat treated rails
>>
>>31992847
I haven't seen a bent one with the rails in sold as an 80%, that's too "complete"

welding the rails really isn't hard, and if you do get the divots it isn't a big deal either, it's purely visual. You need to make sure those rails are square to the receiver, and strongly welded.
>>
>>31992890
Ok I have very little practice with welding. I've only welded once a couple years ago at a vocational school I went to.
>>
>>31992930
When me and a buddy started building we got a harbor freight spot welder, you can get it on sale pretty cheap, and it will do exactly what you need it to. We used C clamps to secure the rails, spot weld on both sides, then two in the center and it's good to go. We've built probably 6 between the two of us with that thing
>>
>>31992960
So it isn't that hard? What would be the best parts kit to get for it!?
>>
>>31992975
If you have a basic understanding of machinery and how to assemble things you'll be fine. Just really need to pay attention to how straight and square everything is, rivets tight and headspace set correctly.

Watch a couple different guys on YouTube build them and judge if you could do it. I'd recommend having a press, drill press, hammer and punches, dremel and grinding wheel.
>>
>>31992930
buy the harbor freight spot welder for $100 or so, and buy the AK-builder spot welder tong, it's handy and like $20.
>>
>>31993074
I've built an ar 15 from an 80% lower so I think I could do this. I'm kinda broke at the moment so I'm not gonna be able to buy the press and drill press.
>>31993130
Thanks!
>>
Has anyone built a 10/22 from a 80%?
>>
>>31993340

If you can't get a press, AK building might not be a good idea, mate. It's all pressed and riveted...which is also pressed.
>>
>>31993340
>so I'm not gonna be able to buy the press and drill press.
You do realize you need ACTUAL bits to properly drill through heat treated steel? Decent grade high speed steel, don't just go to Lowes and grab the first thing you see.

Also good luck doing it without a drill press.

Furthermore, how the fuck did you finish an 80% lower if you don't have access to basic tools?
>>
>>31993422
I just bought a hand drill and a small router
>>
>>31993385
I can buy a pre pressed one right?
>>
>>31993454
Post pics of finished lower
>>
>>31993474
It looks very shitty but works
>>
>>31993685
Not a photograph son.

But whatever, you know how skilled you are, I don't.

At least blanks are cheap right?
>>
File: ghostly.jpg (2MB, 1992x4792px) Image search: [Google]
ghostly.jpg
2MB, 1992x4792px
Hi guys so I too have been looking into building an AK after having done 3 80% ARs. Where should I source parts? Are there any vendors to avoid?

Also, while I can buy a spotwelder for the rails, has anyone has success with a stick welder or MIG set up? I have access to both and if I could avoid buying a spotwelder, that would be great.
>>
File: IMG_1219.jpg (557KB, 1796x2480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1219.jpg
557KB, 1796x2480px
>>31993707
Sorry
>>
>>31993757
Fucking saved.

Holy shit anon.
>>
File: IMG_2394.jpg (711KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2394.jpg
711KB, 3264x2448px
>>31993770
Hey hes not as bad as some of the fuck ups here.

>>31993757
although this is an example of why I always stress to use a drillpress.
>>
>>31993770
I said it was shitty but it still works
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.