[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can someone explain to me the point of shotguns? you can only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

can someone explain to me the point of shotguns? you can only carry so many guns at the same time.

shotgun is bullshit for home defense, it is long and hard to corner around or clear rooms with. For every other purpose a rifle and a pistol is your ideal loadout.

Shotgun seems like just a useless tool for the aristocracy and rednecks to hunt ducks with.
>>
>>31990813
Skeet shooting is fun
>>
File: 1479085978668.jpg (72KB, 640x617px) Image search: [Google]
1479085978668.jpg
72KB, 640x617px
it's the superior home defense option. AR-15 has too much penetration (you don't want to kill your daughter in the next room) and not as much stopping power as a 12ga shotgun. handguns are a bit better but lack the iconic "i'm cocking a shotgun you best gtfo" sound.

also
>9mm
>>
>>31990813

1. Eating birds
2. Removing door hinges
3. Shooting clays
>>
they're cheap for the amount of kinetic energy they can deliver. they can shoot slugs out to 100 yards and take out any animal on this continent, or take out birds with birdshot; all just by changing the shell type. They can also be very compact in the PGO configuration. So, I would disagree on pretty much all things that you said.
>>
>>31990962

have you tried clearing a house with a shotgun, you have any idea how hard it to corner into a room. Unless you are talking about mini-shotty which need stamps for
>>
>>31990813
We'll your average gunfight as a civillian, even if shtf is going to be within shotgun range. The are reliable. Reloading ammo is very easy and you can load whatever the fuck you want into the, plus therected are a lot of custom ammunition for different purposes such as flares. In sing shot the torso is going to produce a much greater chance of incapacitating as on large hole spreads into 8 or so separate 9mm holes, having the potential to knockout multiple organs with one hit and increasing the likelihood you hit something vital such as the aorto with a single shot

Not very good for sustained firefights but if you think that's something you are going to get into you are living in a fantasy
>>
>>31990813
Versatility.

Load it with birdshot, shoot flying things
Load it with slugs, shoot 4 legged things
Load it with buckshot, shoot 2 legged things
Breach a door with it, use less lethal ammo to dispel a riot, load whatever crazy shit you want into a shell and fire it off.

Shooting clays is fun, and your a retard if you dismiss the sport without even trying it.

There's more to guns than your call of duty shootout fantasies.
>>
>>31991002

except you can conceal and carry a handgun. You will never be able to ccw a shotgun, everyone within 300 meters will notice you. So just have some handguns for home and self defense. What is even the point of having another weapon system with its own ammo/cleaning kits/accessories
>>
File: marine quote.jpg (17KB, 236x237px) Image search: [Google]
marine quote.jpg
17KB, 236x237px
>>31990980
I have a 28 inch barrel on my 870 and i can clear my home easily although once i knocked the shit out of my toddler with it when i came down the stairs lol
>>
>>31991028

for a bunch of stuff i can do with rifle/handgun, i have to lug around really heavy ammo (slugs/buckshots/birdshots). Lets be honest, it is just for duck hunting. There are plenty of other breaching tools to use.
>>
Go find a video of something doing some mag dumps and quick reloads on a VEPR-12. I think in close combat, urban, or inside a structure, that thing is a fucking beast mode. Be it big ass slugs or tons of buckshot, it is definitely an equally effective weapon and may excel in certain situations.

Semi-auto's like in your pic or pump actions have their benefits too. Mainly a lot of law enforcement. You aren't looking for quick reloads and tons of rounds down range, you are looking for lightweight, manueverable, and quick sight picture, and its still throwing some serious power and lead in each shot. It doesn't fill a hallway at five feet but its a big god damn pack of lead that I would expect to drop someone quicker than a shot of 556. With pumps you get a more reliable UI in a lot of ways.
>>
>>31991035
Well shit, with that logic, why own anything other than glocks?

I'll tell you why, becuase their fun and I can. Kys.
>>
You can kill anything that walks in the western hemisphere for $200.
>>
>>31991046

by point isn't that it is completely useless. I just find having to stockpile a whole other mix of ammo a pain in the ass logistically.
>>
>>31991035
Because you might need to go outside and handguns suck for use past 10 yards
>>
File: niceb8.jpg (47KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
niceb8.jpg
47KB, 625x626px
>>31990813
Nice b8 m8.
>>
>>31991050
Like carrying around a fucking sledgehammer or batter ram?

>>31991059
Then dont, dumbass
>>
>>31991050
Let's be honest, if you're trying to use a shotgun to breach you're in the military or police. I'm not even sure where you would get breaching rounds in the civilian sector. Just buy a fireman's tool if you want to look high speed.

In the end I always prefer explosive breaching but, again, where are you going to get det cord and C4 in the civilian sector?
>>
>>31991067

what do you need to do with a shotgun that an AR-15 can't do?
>>
>>31990813
Jesus Christ firearms have purposes other than made up SHTF fantasies. Shotguns exist because they are fun to shoot, they are inexpensive, are extremly popular among hunters, and make good home defense weapons.
>>
>>31990813

shotgun is my favorite part of 3 gun comp
>>
>>31990813
I'm not a fan of shotguns. I'll start off there. Only able to carry 10 rounds per pound (Roughly twice as heavy as rifle ammo, about three times heavier than 7.62x39, and nearly four times heavier than 5.56/5.45), limited capacity due to the sheer bulk of the rounds with the best option likely being a tube mag that's the length of the barrel, generally only able to load one round at a time unless you use detachable mags (with such shit capacity though, why?), and so on and so forth. That said, I can see why people like them.

If you carry slug, buckshot, and birdshot, then you can hunt just about anything with just one firearm; a 12 gauge shotgun. I do believe them to be good for home defense, even though within the space of a room or hallway, you're not likely to get much spread unless perhaps you have a fuck-short open-choke barrel, if I'm using those terms correctly. With rifled slugs (I still hate that whole 10 shells per pound thing), you can actually get some decent accuracy. Perhaps comparable to that of 7.62x39 or .30 Carbine? I don't know; I've shot a few slugs before (pretty brutal recoil), but never really tried it for accuracy.

So yeah, while I'm not a fan, I can see the use in having a shotgun. Shotguns can do things that rifles cannot, while rifled slugs can make a shotgun behave a BIT like a rifle. The biggest advantage for shotguns in home defence, I think, is the limited penetration capabilities of buckshot or birdshot, and in the kind of distances you find in most households, 12 gauge birdshot would indeed fuck any unarmoured thread up, while posing little if any threat to whatever might be beyond a wall, should the shot miss the target

But yeah, for non-hunting purposes, a rifle and a pistol destroys having a shotgun.

>AKM with 6 loaded plastic mags
>Glock 19 with 3 loaded 15-round mags
I guesstimate that to be about 19.5lb. Let's just call it 20lb to keep it simple. 20lb for 225 rounds

>7lb shotgun
>130 shells (Bulky!)
Roughly 20lb
>>
>>31991111

>hunting with a shotgun
>not using a rifle.

yeah, not all of us enjoy butching rabbits and ducks. Some of us have jobs and can afford to eat at restaurants.
>>
>>31991091
>>31991050
>>31990962
>>31990813
What even is this thread
>>
>>31991164
>I don't understand hunting seasons or slugs: the post
>>
>>31990980
bullpup shotguns exist as well as the shortys
>>
>>31991164
How can you say butchering? Have you ever eaten a quail that you shot? It's not butchering by any means. And how much more dead do rifle rounds make deer as apprised to slugs.
>>
>>31991197

anyone who has a shotgun likely has a handgun. Which can be used for home defense and ccw. So why get a shotgun?
>>
>>31991182

Nah, he just doesn't own a shotgun. Most people aside from LEOs and hunters don't know about slugs, let alone sabots.
>>
I'm using a shotgun and a revolver as backup and there's nothing you can do about it
>>
>>31990962
Why is every american house made out of chipboard?
>>
>>31990813
If you live in a shit hole state shotguns are cheap, easy to get, reliable, and no one is going to think it is weird if you shoot a home intruder with one
>>
>>31991216
Post country, and swear your allegiance to the US.
>>
>>31991216
Why is every euro a cuck
>>
>>31991207
a shotgun has a really good chance of taking out someone with one shot in cq while the pistol has a really good chance of not taking them out in one shot or even several
>>
>>31991096
I just fucking explained that right here >>31991002
>>
>>31990813
>It's long and hard to corner around with!
Bullshit, unless you live in a fucking box a shotgun with an 18.5'' barrel isn't hard to maneuver inside

>An AR or a pistol is better for home defense anyway!

A 20 gauge shotgun with good ammo produces messier results than a .357 magnum while being much easier to use and control

A cheap but quality shotgun can be had for 200 bucks, a "budget" AR is around the 600 mark new and you have to worry about over-penetration with nearly any ammunition you would actually want to use much more than you do with a defensive shotgun load

Why is this even a thread?

>>31991216
Most new houses in the 1st world use cheap plasterboard and MDF for internal walls, because they're cheap, easy to work with and pretty good at most stuff a wall needs to do except stop bullets
>>
File: DSC00086 - Copy.jpg (2MB, 3680x2070px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00086 - Copy.jpg
2MB, 3680x2070px
>shotgun is bullshit for home defense, it is long and hard to corner around or clear rooms with

Does not know about 12 round semiauto 12 gauge bullpups.
>>
>>31990980
There are 'firearms' that get around the NFA requirement.
>>
>>31991035
Go play golf with just a putter then. Why carry all those other useless clubs?
>>
File: 500px-SG1spas3.jpg (44KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
500px-SG1spas3.jpg
44KB, 500x281px
>>31991298

i'll keep that in mind if we ever need to fight swarms of big man killing spider. In the meantime I'll stick to semi-auto rifles and handguns
>>
>>31991035
Because handguns are actually shitty weapons for fighting with and the only reason that people choose to carry them is because they're the only things that can adequately be concealed and are light enough to not be a obnoxious to walk around with
>>
>>31991352
> swarms of spiders killing big men

Mother of God...
>>
>>31990813
1)Simplicity: any idiot can completely strip and reassemble a shotgun
2) reliability
3) versatility: the amount of loads and shot your average gun can use is way bigger than any other gun
4) home defense: they sound and look scary, do pretty incomparable damage to soft tissue while also not going to kill your wife or the neighbor
5) nobody ever tries to ban them
6) they're fun, mine is my favorite gun to shoot because working the action actually makes me feel like I'm doing something
>>
>>31991298
waht is that
>>
>>31990813
moving targets
>>
>>31990962
pussy
>>
>>31991439
Sagia 12 with kushnapup kit
>>
>>31991205
>how much more dead do rifle rounds make deer as apprised to slugs.
Um...slugs make them dead. Very dead. I've seen slugs shatter a shoulder so hard you're picking bone shards out of the mid section of the loin. The problem is that some plain states have decided that rifle rounds travel too far so they insist that you use a shotgun on deer, hence the rifled slug.
>>
>>31990965
Shooting anything in North America if its a 12 ga. Foster slugs, Buckshot, Buck and ball, Shot loads of various sizes. It really is the most versatile weapon out there for game hunting. It just lacks actual accuracy but ive always grouped 8 inches at 50 yards with smoothbore slugs from my mav 88.
>>
>>31991046
What the fuck is wrong with you? Why would you do that with kids in the house? Practice when they're at the daycare or something.
You're the reason accidental child deaths happen and give gun owners a bad name. Fuck you.
>>
>>31991298
What a beast.
>>
>>31992281
>picking bone shards out of the loin

goddammit this never fucking again
>>
>>31993248
No possibility in your mind that he could be clearing rooms WITH NO AMMUNITION
>>
File: 2016-03-14 05.03.56 1_resized.jpg (2MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-14 05.03.56 1_resized.jpg
2MB, 2656x1494px
>>31990813
You either get it or you don't. Shotguns are fun as hell. To me there's nothing better than shooting slugs.
>>
>>31995589
You always assume the gun is loaded. Even if it's not.
>>
>>31990962
You had me raging hard for a moment before I realized this was a troll. Well done.
>>
>>31990980
Not in Canada fagit, 8.5inch shotgun barrels for the win.
>>
File: 20161011_182414.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161011_182414.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Keltec's KSG fixed a lot of what is wrong with traditional shotguns.
>>
>>31991111
QUADS OF TRUTH
U
A
D
S

O
F

T
R
U
T
H
>>
>>31990813
What stock is on that AR?
>>
>>31998751
A buttstock. B)
>>
>>31995984
Is that yours anon? Fucking muh dick man, muh dick
>>
>>31990980
Any "carbine" that isn't a SBR has the same problem.
>>
File: muh_ksg.jpg (390KB, 1547x1080px) Image search: [Google]
muh_ksg.jpg
390KB, 1547x1080px
>>31998378
See-All seems like a neat sight. Next step for me would be a red dot, probably.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.