[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so im building my first ar15. already have the stripped lower

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1444189339263.jpg (612KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1444189339263.jpg
612KB, 1600x900px
so im building my first ar15. already have the stripped lower and im wondering if all that "boutique" stuff like salient arms bcg and crazy barrels and all that is worth it?

I dont want to build a barebones ar15 but im wondering if all that expensive stuff is worth it?
>>
No. Get parts that are mil spec or better and it's hard to go wrong.
>>
>>31990296
Most of it is just for taking pictures of. Get expensive part, brag on /k/.

PSAs stuff is somewhat cheap and decent. There are plenty of others. The thing is, if you're wanting anything non-standard, like non-plastic handguard, decent optics, more convenient charging handle, etc., You're pretty much stuck with overpriced boutique.
>>
>>31990296

Certain parts are worth it. Triggers are nice, a larger charging handle is cool, too. Some fancy BCG's work better when they have less lube on them. IF you get the cheapest pot metal BCG the internet has to offer you can expect shit to rattle loose and break on them. You don't need the most expensive shit out there, but buy from a reputable fabricator/distributor and check reviews on the parts when you do.

Don't forget to tack a lot of cheap, cool-looking airsoft shit on it and list it on Armslist for $1,500 as a custom AR.
>>
Boutique/shiny parts are a great way to let other people know you are a dirt shooter.
>>
>>31990463
>Triggers are nice,
About the only thing worth mentioning. And as you said, they're nice, far from necessary though.
>a larger charging handle is cool, too.
For what? To waste money on and look cool? So you can "rack easier" on the range in your PIG/Mechanix/OR gloves?
They're nice, sure, but $60+ for a charging handle is ridiculous and pointless for most.
>Some fancy BCG's work better when they have less lube on them.
Not a single person wasting money on their fancy coated BCGs has actually had one make a difference in any faucet of their AR's performance. This is the epitome of snake oil for idiot AR owners.
>>
>>31990531
>About the only thing worth mentioning.

free float match barrel and trigger mate.
>>
>>31990296
Trigger, barrel, ammo, and optic are the direct accuracy upgrades. I'm sure some people can even do well with a shitty trigger but its certainly easier to do well with a nice one. I'm sure there are plenty of overpriced parts in each of those categories as well but there are too many companies to list.

The other stuff might feel and look really nice, be super light/comfortable, or need less lube. Worth it depends on how much money you have but it won't make you shoot better. If you want to min/max a gun for tagret performance, skimp on everything but those four things.
>>
op here. so now my question is should i spring for a bcg with a special coating on it? what barells should i look at? im not trying to build a 3000 dollar range queen but something that is nice and tacticool would be cool.
>>
>>31990296
I went milspec but got a ambitious charge handle and adjustable gas block so I don't ruin my bolt when I use a can.
>>
>>31990747
Phosphate BCG is fine, I'm spending an extra $5 for Nitride, but it's my $5.
>>
>>31990747

>BCG with special coating

If you got the money, then sure. Are you on a budget?

As far as barrels go, I think FN is supposed to have some nice barrels out there. Olympic Arms makes some really accurate ones, as well. Someone else who has more experience with match barrels might be able to tell you a little more about a better deal out there.
>>
>>31990764

>so I don't ruin my bolt

Why wouldn't a heavier buffer prevent that?
>>
>>31990814
kinda on a budget but i can splurge on stuff that objectively helps the gun out more.
>>
>>31990838

Then just get a decent BCG that's nitride coated. No need to get some cryptic coating shit.
>>
>>31990838
>splurge on stuff that objectively helps the gun out more.
Then skip the coating because it objectively does nothing. Spend the money on a better rail, more magazines, more ammo, an optic, etc.
>>31990870
>No need to get some cryptic coating shit.
You mean like wasting money on nitriding?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.