[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

1851 Navy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: download.png (193KB, 912x589px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
193KB, 912x589px
Anyone own a Colt 1851 Navy or similar percussion cap revolver? I was looking into a brass-framed Pietta just for a cheap range toy. Wouldn't shoot it too often so the slightly weaker frame isn't a concern.
Thoughts?
Also Black powder general
>>
Also can anyone tell me about other brands like Uberti? general tips/advice etc.
also post pictures of yours if you've got one
>>
>>31981697

Don't know too much about them but I've always heard that Uberti is better quality than Pietta, Armisport, etc.

Two general rules of thumb.

Unless you're going to be shooting it relatively immediately, never load all six chambers and always keep them hammer down on an empty chamber. These old revolvers have the "firing pin" on the hammer itself and can fire when dropped or jarred if the hammer is down on a cap / cartridge.

Secondly, never keep a black powder weapon loaded for any very prolonged period of time. This is more towards some autist who thinks they want to keep a musket for home defense and leave black powder in the barrel for weeks / months on end. It's not good for them.
>>
>>31981929
This, if you ever actually need to have a combat ready BP gun make sure you change the powder every day, just like the guys who beat Napoleon.
>>
>>31981929
I'm not sure where this misinformation comes from. Black powder stored in a firearm functions fine, people have found old revolvers and muskets loaded in the civil war era and fired them without a problem. It's after you fire the gun that you need to clean it.
>>
>>31981929
Thanks for the tips. I've heard the same about Uberti being better than Pietta. I thought id go with the cheaper option because i won't be shooting it much, but is there a significant advantage to the Uberti?
>>
>>31981970
It's helpful stuff to know. I may be inheriting my grandfather's old flintlock soon, so this helps.
>>
>>31981970

Maybe it's fuddlore, but I had heard that you run the risk of getting damp powder particularly in humid environments and that it could eventually cause corrosion.
>>
>>31981697

I have a brass 1858 replica I bought used for pretty cheap.

Works fine, fun to shoot. I don't load it to max or shoot often so it'll probably last a while.

If I was serious about this, I'd get a steel frame example.
>>
>>31982070
if you are storing a gun is a shitty environment its going to rust regardless of if its loaded or not.

as for the question of will it go bang when you want it to thats debatable. youve got stuff like >>31981970 where its goes bang and others where it doesnt but thats more on the environment the gun was stored in than anything.
>>
>>31982186
I live in Florida, a pretty humid environment. I have some black powder that's been stored in my garage for the better part of a decade. As long as it's sealed it's okay.
>>
>>31981697

Don't buy a brass framed 1851. It warps over time and becomes useless. Don't waste money on something if you don't want it to last, you'll be spending lots of money on powder flasks and whatnot.

Brass backstrap is fine though, I prefer how the London model looks specifically.
>>
>>31981697
My dad has a bunch of black powder pistols
They are fun, but kinda annoying sometimes.

Few bad things that have happened to my dad.
Lose Powder managed to ignite 2 rounds at once.
Any mishap will leave a round stuck in the barrel.
Again, annoying to remove especially with a rifle.

Also, most ranges won't allow em
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.