[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Steel case ammo and indoor range

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1468268488114.jpg (97KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
1468268488114.jpg
97KB, 770x433px
Alright /k/, is there something uniquely destructive about steel case ammo?

I went to an indoor range yesterday to shoot my AR. I was wanting to break it in so I just had some cheapo Monarch from Academy. The chick at the counter said I couldn't use it there because it had a muzzle velocity of 3261 which was over the 3200 they allow and also because it was steel core and would destroy their backdrop. Neither of these rules are posted anywhere, mind you.

When I told her I had been there twice before and shot the same stuff she said that whoever was working that day must not have looked close enough when they checked my ammo. She then offered to sell me a box of their ammo for $25. I said no and instead went to my buddy's land today and shot my cheap shit to my heart's content.

So my question is, is steel case uniquely destructive to indoor ranges or were they just being retarded and trying to Jew me?
>>
They want your brass, steel is worthless to them
>>
>>31979505
Literally this. I never go to ranges. I always go to friends land and shoot.
>>
>>31979505
That's what I figured. Part of the reason I hate going to ranges. If its not the other shooters its the owners who are assholes.

Glad I have access to land but the side of town I was on made that range more convenient.
>>
>>31979670
Some of us live in shitty urban areas and are forced to shoot our rifles at 100 meters max.
>>
>>31979700
>100 meters
that's still 300 feet. That's pretty far.
>>
>>31979497
My range just says no AP or tracers. What state do you live in?
>>
We don't allow steel case or core in our indoor range because it's a fire hazard and because of insurance policies. The backstop caught on fire because some dick shot steel core couple weeks ago
>>
>>31979497
Lot of steel case has steel jacketed or cored bullets.
These pose a fire risk in the backstops.
>>
>>31980218
>>31980921

Stupid question but what's the backstop of a range usually made of that can catch fire when hit by a steel core?
>>
>>31980996

I'd like to know too, that always sounded like such a bullshit reason but maybe there is something, like sparks igniting some kind of soot and buildup like with what can happen with chimmney fires sometimes?
>>
They reload customer brass, steel can't be reloaded.

to be honest it's pretty fucking stupid. The last range I was at that reloaded and sold ammo, the ammo was expensive and pure shit
>>
>>31980218
One of my local ranges burnt down because some retard fired a tracer into the backstop.
>>
>>31981767
That's literally it
>>
>>31980996
>>31981767
>>31980921
> Hurr-durr they wanna steal ur brass
> Hurr-durr the range can burn down
Steel cased ammo is dirty as fuck. That's the problem. You guys have never had to clean a god damn indoor range before, it's fucking tedious or the range becomes absolutely disgusting as fuck.

The backstop can take anything thrown at it under what it's rated for forever and won't catch on fire unless nobody fucking cleans it. The filtration system is truly nightmare mode for indoor ranges.
>>
Can't find the video but there is a video where a guy sweeps up dust in front of the firing line. He took it outside and set it on fire. It explodes.

Basically people shoot guns some of the power doesn't burn. Then other people shot steel ammo. The steel sparks when it hits shit and the range burns down.
>>
>>31979497
you can't use those indoors in my state anymore because too many people were getting PTSD.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.