[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just noticed this hit on my mosin's barrel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: P_20161111_212311[1].jpg (1MB, 2304x4096px) Image search: [Google]
P_20161111_212311[1].jpg
1MB, 2304x4096px
Is it bad doc ? will it affect the precision of the gun ?

Thanks guys !
>>
>>31968796
as long as its not touching the rifling you should be ok

Otherwise a gunsmith can fix it, but it wont be cheap.
>>
Has your muzzle been counter-bored? I think I see a hint of a land but I'm not certain. If it has been counter-bored then I wouldn't worry about it. Otherwise, it probably will.
>>
>>31968807
What do you mean by touching the rifling ? you mean pertubating the bullet's travel ?

Sorry english isn't my mother language so ..

>>31968818
it hasn't been counter bored i think
>>
>>31968859
>you mean pertubating the bullet's travel ?
Yes
>>
>>31968796
80% of your rifle's accuracy comes from the way the barrel is crowned. Source: the head of the ballistics lab at Nosler.

The only way to tell is to go shooting some more. If all of a sudden you have rounds going all over the place, take it to a smith and have it re-crowned. It isn't expensive.
>>
Wow - that's pretty ugly. The vast majority of Mosin accuracy problems I've seen have to do with bad crown issues, often from someone being overzealous with the steel cleaning rod. So, for sure even some minor problems at the muzzle end can definitely cause accuracy issues. Not sure if that one will. One way to find out!
>>
>>31968941
>Source: the head of the ballistics lab at Nosler.
Are you lying or have you just been pretending to be retarded the entire time youve been tripping on /k/?
>>
>>31969026
Phil's too retarded to be pretending imo. Either that or he has some serious dedication to.
>>
The stripes inside the barrel are fine tho .

I just bought it for 300€ and shooted 20 bullets but since i'm pretty new at firing with iron sights i wasnt sure of my shots at 100 meters i did a 12 out of 20

I hope it's not too bad cause gunsmith cost a lot in France
>>
>>31969026
His name is Eric Hansen and I was lucky enough to take a handloading class from him in Susanville a few years ago.
>>
anyone else has ever seen this before ?
>>
>>31969279
Uh huh. Citation and corroboration, or fuck off.
>>
hum
>>
>>31968941
wrong

a bad crown makes a barrel shot inaccurately
you cannot make a gun more accurate via crowning unless the crown is already hampering accuracy

proper chambering is 80% of accuracy
>>
>>31970053
Well mine is very properly chambered
>>
>>31969458
Google it nigger.
Tripfags might be cumguzzlers but they are still subhumans just like you.
>>
>>31970263
>Google it nigger.
First two results for people are the chess player and a guitarist.

The rest were forums.

Show me something credible that confirms Phil's claim, and something that agrees with person in the claim.
>>
Nobody is sure at 100% of the effetcs of that hit ?
>>
It will affect the precision, and the worse the bullet, the more it will affect it -- likely to "pull" the bullet toward the direction of the gouge. It *will* affect the bowshock, but that effect might be extremely negligible.

How much it affects it is up to experiment. You'll probably be fine at a rifle range up to 100 yards, but you'll want to get it recrowned if you're planning on entering any competitions/fighting Germans.
>>
>>31968796
I'm not gonna sugar coat this, you are gonna have to take this whole dose, and see me in the morning
>>
>>31970607
I'm planning on shooting at 200 yards i'll check if there's any perturbation
>>
File: bubbafuck.jpg (48KB, 800x359px) Image search: [Google]
bubbafuck.jpg
48KB, 800x359px
>>31968796
All you have to do is purchase an Archangle Sniper Stock.
You'll be able to drop a man at 1000 yards.
Just like in Blue Ruin.
>>
>>31968796
Simple answer is do a 10 shot group. If you're whitin parameters, it's all good broski.
>>
The answer is really... maybe. The crown should be always be protected but I've seen cases where a mangled crown didn't affect accuracy.

To be fair you haven't give us much to work with, 12 out of 20 what? That isn't a metric. Bench rest it and fire a few groups. See if it's grouping well or see if it's patterning (more random shot placement) at 100m or 100 yds. That's the best you can do with a situation like this. Typically you don't recrown unless there is an actual problem.
>>31968807
Don't listen to this guy. Recrowning is one of the cheaper gunsmith services. Still I don't know how much you paid for a mosin but I bet you'll spend at least half it's value doing this. Try not to get a dremel near your crown again because good lord that is some damage.
>>
File: HOLY_SHIT.png (123KB, 818x906px) Image search: [Google]
HOLY_SHIT.png
123KB, 818x906px
>>31970424
Holy fuck you really are retarded.
Maybe you shouldn't be handling firearms if you can't formulate search queries properly.
>>
>>31968796
Step 1: Get electric drill.
Step 2: Get wooden stick that fits into drillchuck.
Step 3: Widdle the end of the stick into a shallow cone.
Step 4: Get sandpaper in the 120-range.
Step 5: Tape sandpaper to the microdildo.
Step 6. Give the crown a sandpaper rimjob until crown looks nice and even. Replace sandpaper as needed.
Step 7: You're welcome.
>>
>>31968859
Dude nice vocabulary
Perturb and it's variations are great words
>>
>>31970879
Nigger, I was talking about this Eric Hanson "80%" bullshit, not about whether or not crown damage affects accuracy. That's fucking well known and obvious.

Learn to fucking read, christ.
>>
>>31968859
get a flashlight, shine it from the chamber end and get a new pic from the same view point as you OP pic, but from the 11 oclock position so we can see where that mark is inside the barrel
>>
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/rifle-crown-1.php

The nugget is still capable of more accuracy than you are.
>>
>>31970909
>widdle
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.