[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is a better pistol for home defense and carry, auto or revolver?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: 1445295038686.jpg (4MB, 3900x5008px) Image search: [Google]
1445295038686.jpg
4MB, 3900x5008px
What is a better pistol for home defense and carry, auto or revolver?
>>
File: questionable.jpg (4KB, 141x222px) Image search: [Google]
questionable.jpg
4KB, 141x222px
>>31966874
home defense AND carry?

i consider a good CCW something that you'll carry 24/7, so anything up to a single stack 9mm. I don't think people actually carry their double stack glock 19/26 with them 24/7, but maybe I'm wrong. At the end of the day, unless your home is getting invaded by some gang with firearms, even ~7 rounds of 9mm will do a lot of damage.

revolvers(with a hidden hammer like the 442/642) are nice because you can shoot them through a pocket or something if you really wanted to and have maximum surprise in some situation, and they won't jam. are you really okay with 5/6 rounds of .38sp though?

If you can deal with carrying it, it's probably going to be a Glock 19 or something equivalent to a Glock 19, or a Glock 26 if you can't deal with the Glock 19. Carry one extra mag and if you can't do enough damage in 20-30 rounds of 9mm, you were fucked no matter what.
>but it will stove pipe and you'll get assraped and stabbed to death by jamal anyway :3

I use a standard, normal ass anti-special snowflake black Beretta 92FS that I bought for $500 new for home defense and carry. I have it on me at all times. It's great to shoot, reliable, double action so perfect for carry, holds a lot of rounds and they give you 3 mags. 45 fucking rounds of 9mm is enough. generic because i know the cops are going to take it away after i have to use it and I won't see it for possibly a long time, so I don't want it being some really nice piece that I cherished or whatever. It would have been a CZ75B but I really hated operating it.

a little 380 will be great as a CCW, but home defense? I'm not so sure. All of these guns are going to be loud, so the size of the round isn't going to make a difference to your hearing. i think a full size(or compact if you're small) double stacked, inexpensive, non-special snowflake 9mm is optimal.
>>
>>31966874
>posting the old, outdated version
Here. Newest update from the update thread made specifically to update your pic.
>>
>>31966874
Revolver.

+simple to use
+won't jam
+won't fail
+needs no maintenance
+inherently more accurate because fixed barrel
+can use higher power bullets
+holds 6 shots, same as many semi-autos
+easier to conceal because shorter grip
+not banned anywhere unlike so called "assault pistols"
-gas from the cylinder can hurt your fingers if you have a bad hold

Most gunfights have an average of 2 shots fired.
>>
>>31967613
Is there one that's written without all the "lol so edgy" language?
>>
File: one for each of ya.jpg (639KB, 2160x1524px)
one for each of ya.jpg
639KB, 2160x1524px
>>31966944
>>31967731
Let me preface with saying I own 2 revolvers, one is a GP100 that I carry regularly, and have owned several more. My first handgun was my 29-3 and it slew my first deer during pistol season in So. IL. I grew up with John Wayne and Clint Eastwood on TV and 8 shot plastic cap revolvers on my hip. I love revolvers.

But don't spread misinformation or tell people false truths about them.

>fire from inside a pocket

Doing this provides a likely opportunity to disprove the following statement

>(revolvers) don't jam

When you fire a double action revolver, the cylinder must spin, correct? If it's in your pocket and not in a holster (using a trigger block I assume) or out of its holster, it is still surrounded by fabric. This fabric can be pulled into the gap between the top strap and the cylinder causing it to bind. This is especially so if your clothes are damp or sweaty.

Stopping the rotation of the cylinder is easier than you might think. Take out one of your revolvers, clear it and put it in your strong hand. Now, with your off hand, grab the gun like you are trying to rip it from your other hand (like an attacker might) and try to pull the trigger. Tell me what you find...

>require no maintenance
Also not true. You should maintain your carry pistol regardless of what it is. AT MINIMUM shoot your carry ammo once a year and thoroughly clean and inspect your weapon. Theoretically, you should do it much more often just to be familiar with your carry ammo (point of Impact, recoil, flash).

Internal parts can break, parts can rust, springs can go bad but the point is, it's still a machine. Some (likely a lot) revolvers go in for warranty repair every year from all the manufacturers. If you don't fire, clean and inspect yours, how would you know If it was broken?

Tl;dr revolvers aren't as foolproof as you think

>pic related
My revolvers featuring doggoblur and ball. He insisted on assisting.
>>
>>31968084
If you pull out your gun and someone grabs it in theory you should still have the round already lined up before it rotates giving you one shot to hit the person and free your weapon. Also you could always carry a knife for this purpose.
>>
>>31966944
x100

double stacked 9mm is #1, otherwise go single stacked 9mm. .380 is weak, overpriced, and every gun it's in will be tiny and hard to shoot at all.

fuck glocks, though. i'd rather use a fucking series 70 colt 1911 in 45 ACP than any 9mm glock.
>>
File: image.jpg (771KB, 1536x2048px)
image.jpg
771KB, 1536x2048px
>>
>>31967925
Haha I'm afraid not
Every person who edited and updated it decided to add in a bit of sass every now and again, which I don't mind as long as it gets updated.
I mean cmon. ARs, AKs and a fucking PPS on a "poorfag" gun guide? It might've been true 6-10 years ago but it isn't now.
>>
revolvers are shit end of thread

-heavy
-low round count
-speedloaders are awkwardly shaped
-requires significant cleaning otherwise cylinder cannot rotate
-FUCKING KEK AT WHOEVER SAID REQUIRES NO MAINTENANCE revolvers go out of time
-can short stroke it
-heavy as fuck double action and single action is a meme
-you lower hammer spring weight and it light strikes
-harder to conceal since wider
>>
>>31967613
Is there a higher res version? I can't read shit on that
>>
>>31969274
It's fucking 3900x5008 pixels.
Try opening the image itself in another tab and clicking on it to zoom it.
>>
>>31969785
I'm on mobile so that's probably why
>>
Revolver because magnum rounds.

Semi-autos are clearly superior for carry die to lighter and smaller. Revolvers are cool, and my personal preference, but semis are better by far.
>>
>>31967613
I want to find the idiot who wrote the SKS portion and slap him.
>>
>>31970192
Couldn't you save the pic and zoom in?

>>31970819
Why?

>>31970244
>not knowing about magnum-cartridge autoloaders
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.