[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Noguns here, never shot a gun in my life. Always wanted to, so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: 1477364188886.jpg (11KB, 312x159px) Image search: [Google]
1477364188886.jpg
11KB, 312x159px
Noguns here, never shot a gun in my life. Always wanted to, so I'm going to my dad's in a week and heading to the range with him and his roommate. They've got a pair of ARs, and I think a few handguns. Aside from typical gun smarts (ie. don't aim at anything you don't intend to shoot, manage trigger discipline, wear ear protection) what should I keep in mind at the range?
>>
the desire to turn the gun on yourself might be overwhelming at first but once you start shooting you'll be having too much fun to think about it

or just do it, whatever you want
>>
>>31964239
Don't act like a know-it-all and learn.

That said, don't be an ass kisser.
>>
>>31964255
This 100%, OP. The first time I picked up my dad's old revolver, the urge to blow my brains all over the wall was overwhelming. It was like a light switch just flipped and all I could think about was ending it all.

I've never been depressed or thought about suicide before, but that gun ... it just triggered something primal in me. Something that will no doubt awaken in you too. Be careful OP.
>>
>>31964337
>>31964255
Oh man, I fucking wish guys like you were around five years ago. Maybe my little brother would still be around. RIP little man.

Don't fucking pick up that gun without adult supervision OP. You will need someone to physically restrain you at first.
>>
>>31964255
>>31964337
>>31964349
I've handled my parent's Walther PP before, and did feel that urge. I was still hesitant even without the magazine in it though.
>>
>>31964255
Yep can confirm. I was 14 years old, excitable, and happy to go shooting for the first time with my dad. Before we left, he said that I could handle his CZ.

I think you get where this is going. I had been taught proper gun safety and was extremely prepared, but as soon as my finger hit that trigger something inside me just snapped. I immediately racked the slide, turned the gun to my chest, and pulled the trigger. Just like that I was lying on the floor in front of my horrified father while choking to death on my own blood. He couldn't have possibly reacted in time to stop me, it just happened so fast.

I don't remember much after I passed out, but luckily I'm still here to talk about it. Long story short OP, don't underestimate the psychological effect of touching a gun for the first time.
>>
>>31964337
>>31964349
>>31964373
>>31964443
It's like standing near a large drop and having the urge to jump or being in a car and wanting to open the door while you're going.
You know you shouldn't but there's a tiny voice in the back of your head telling you to do it
>>
File: 001hp.png (11KB, 300x348px) Image search: [Google]
001hp.png
11KB, 300x348px
>>31964239

I guess there's "45 and 90."

What that means is you have to think of your muzzle control as a series of angles. With the gun pointed level with the ground, never aim down in front of you at more than a 45 degree angle. Your body and the barrel should also never exceed a 90 degree angle meaning that you should never aim higher than parallel to the ground. Side to side control means that you can swing 45 degrees to either side from pointing straight ahead but never farther than that.

Follow the above and you'll probably avoid shooting anyone else.

Always remember to drop the mag and clear the gun with the action locked open before setting it down.

Keep muzzles pointed downrange at all times even when handing the gun to someone else.

Clear the gun and double check it before handing it off. Clear it and double check when you receive a gun.
>>
File: 4u.jpg (7KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
4u.jpg
7KB, 320x240px
>>31964239
>roommates
>matching ARs
>"roommates"
>>
>>31965110
My dad doesn't own either of them.
>>
>>31964239

Most important rule of fire arm safety to remember is to treat EVERY weapon as if it is loaded and all that entails.
>>
>>31965130
Nice try candy boy. Tell your dad LuvLee says haaaaayyy
>>
>>31964255
>>31964337
>>31964349
>>31964373
>>31964575

This.

Just got a nugget and had the same idea. Usually do when I stare at it.
>>
>>31964239
If you are unsure about anything, ask. No exceptions.
>>
File: 1438830580998.gif (2MB, 300x290px) Image search: [Google]
1438830580998.gif
2MB, 300x290px
>>31964239
>My father's roommate
Wat?
>>
If it's an out door range other shooters will want to go down range to check/change/setup targets. When someone does this set your guns down, aim them in a safe direction, and step back and don't touch them ever until the range is clear.
>>
>>31965244
His daddy's a fag, man
>>
>>31964255
>>31964337
>>31964349
>>31964373

Holy fuck, I thought I was the only person who felt this way about guns. Like I know about emergent thoughts from things like weapons but I've never been suicidal or depressed in my life.

But whenever I'm around guns I have to batter down the urge to murder people or myself but it goes away the second I handle it.

I hope this isn't just some meme.

Like... is there a support group for this?
>>
File: 1472706132343.png (480KB, 600x525px) Image search: [Google]
1472706132343.png
480KB, 600x525px
>>31964255
>>31964337
>>31964373
>>31965408
This shouldn't as accurate as it is.
>>
>>31965408
I have a friend just like that
showed him my small collection
he picked my AK with the 30 rounder and asked me if he can now kill 30 people with that

he's pretty fucked up
>>
>>31965408
>>31965478
>>31965459 here
I only feel the urge to turn it on myself
>>
>>31964255
I think that's whats called the "Call of the Void"
>>
>>31965244
divorced, mommy took him to the cleaners, as usual.
>>31965316
You're having some highly unorthodox heavily repressed feelings, aren't we?
>>
>>31965459
>>31965485
>>31965490
This must only happen to certain people, I've never felt this, at least not to the extent that you guys seem to have. I've laid hands on a good few firearms, shot a good few as well, but I've never felt quite like that. There were targets downrange every time I was firing, and people around every time I handled them without firing. Jesus guys, you're scaring me a little bit.

At least it's not something strong enough to make you want to act on it, r-right?

Right?
>>
>>31965569
It's a werid feeling man. I'm not a psychopath, I'm not a sociopath. Like I'm crazy empathetic emotionally. Like I cry when other people cry.

But if I see a gun - it makes me want to kill people just a little bit. Just images flashing through my mind of murdering the people around me and myself.

Then I pick it up and it disappears. Not military, no conditioning. Just weird urges, especially with guns.

Scares the shit out of me.
>>
knowledge of self is a most powerful tool

its good to explore all sides of your personality, even your dark side. if you didnt have one, you wouldn't be human

they're just thoughts. you own them, they dont own you
>>
>>31965762
Sometimes, when I pick up a knife, I get a little paranoid that I'm actually hallucinating and that when I'm cutting some tomatoes I'm actually stabbing my family
>>
>>31965762
Cont. I guess it's the basis behind existential dread. That there's literally nothing holding you back except yourself.

That we choose to keep going is the ultimate choice. Every time I get these feelings I just calmly talk that part of me down.

A friend of mine that that feeling in afghanistan when he was on the wire and had to put his rifle on the ground and walk away for a minute.

Anyone know of any coping methods for this?
>>
>>31965784
I guess just take a breather, put the gun down, think about something else for a few moments, or however long it takes for you to feel alright. Tell that little part of you that wants to go full rampage to just chill the fuck out. I suppose you could also try the complete opposite as well, and hold the gun and don't put it down until the feeling goes away. Depends on whether or not you're across that mental halfway point between rampage and total calm. Which way does holding the gun push you, which way does letting go of the gun push you?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.