[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommend 19th Century Weaponary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 8

File: image.jpg (206KB, 2047x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
206KB, 2047x800px
Hello, /k/. Hope you're doing alright. Do you guys have any recommended guns from the late nineteenth century? This can include which ones had the best performance, best to mass-produce, best aesthetic and so on.

I'll start with the Martini–Henry.
>>
>Mosin Nagant M1891/30
>S&W double action revolvers
>Colt single action revolvers
>Mauser k98/G98
>Webley revolver
>Marlin 1894 and 1895 lever action rifles
All of these are still totally usable today.
>>
>>31961465
>>31961494

Very nice, lads. Thank you.
>>
File: M1897 with bayonet.jpg (68KB, 1024x380px) Image search: [Google]
M1897 with bayonet.jpg
68KB, 1024x380px
One more! The M1897 shotgun is fucking awesome, especially with the bayonet on the end.
>>
M1889 - pic related

1893 mausers are okay too, and chronically underpriced
>>
>>31961382
From a modern use perspective, Swiss M1882 revolvers, Swedish M1887 revolvers. They've mostly been maintained well, and are strong so you can use smokeless in them. The M1887 is a Nagant revolver, but because it doesn't have the cylinder sealing movement like the Russian, the trigger pull is lighter and smoother.

Also, French 1892 revolvers are good and tough (again, smokeless is OK), along with being straightforward to strip and clean.
>>
File: 800px-Schmidt-Rubin-2.jpg (19KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Schmidt-Rubin-2.jpg
19KB, 800x800px
Would a Swiss 96/11 count as 19th century? Absolutely gorgeous rifles, best looking Schmidt Rubin out there.
>>
>>31961660
I missed a deal on a nice 1892 revolver for $125. Wish I had been more impulsive.
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 456x322px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 456x322px
>>31961382
Slightly off topic, but when did muzzleloader and 'pre revolver' firearms stop being common place in the old west?

There is surprisingly little info on the days before the Colt.
>>
>>31962550
1860s. You would have still seen Muzzleloaders until like 1890 but in the way you see Winchester Lever Actions now where they're heirlooms and wall hangers as much as actual tools for usage.

In Eastern Oregon I've been to a saloon that had a display of guns from the 1840s through 1950 or so, starting with a real caplock Hawken and ending with a sporterized Springfield. The bartender said that the place had been open since the 1860s or so.
>>
Schofield Model 3 and a Winchester lever-action are all you need.
>>
>>31962617
Yeah I figured as much. Thanks.
>>
>>31961382
i just bought an 1891 argentine mauser
>>
File: I mean I'm no doctor.jpg (22KB, 460x323px) Image search: [Google]
I mean I'm no doctor.jpg
22KB, 460x323px
>>31961494
>540gr
>>
File: bandana_johnwayne.jpg (50KB, 401x500px) Image search: [Google]
bandana_johnwayne.jpg
50KB, 401x500px
>>31962550
They actually stayed for a long time. but it's entirely dependent on the demographic. guns were expensive. while people who made some money bought new guns, poor homesteaders had what they had at the end of the Civil War. which was either the family rifle, or a rifle they may have brought back from the war. An example being Alvin York, who was raised on a Muzzle loading long rifle.

Of course, the farther you go, the more likely said gun will break, become lost or stolen. so sometimes it would be cheaper to buy a new (or if time has gone on long enough) a surplus post 1873 firearm, rather than have your old one fixed. after all, people back then preferred to make things work rather than buy something new if they didn't have to.

there isn't a real concrete date. but 1880 is a good starting point for "new" guns to gain a market presence enough for even poorer folk to start buying em.
>>
Springfield M1898. If you can find krag food, that is.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.