[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New To This

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: idfk.jpg (293KB, 2460x683px) Image search: [Google]
idfk.jpg
293KB, 2460x683px
Hey guys, I'm new to this whole shooting and 4chan thing but was reccomended to come here after talking to a few friends. I want to take up shooting as a hobby. I want a decent rifle thats not a money sink. Preferably something lever action. Around 3-4 hundred. Advice?
>>
>>31961087
Winchester 1894 in 30-30 from '84-'86.

Reliable. Popular. Plain (won't worry about fucking it up). And in your price range.

I suggest 30-30 for entry level levergat but there's pistol calibers and stuff available too.
>>
>>31961123
>I suggest 30-30 for entry level levergat but there's pistol calibers and stuff available too.
A Rossi in.357 magnum is my personal recommendation since you can use cheapass .38 Special for target practice and share ammunition with a revolver.
>>
Where could I go to get one? I mean i honestly have no idea aside from like Basspro or something.
>>
>>31961135
Stock is pretty thin at the moment. I would check out other sporting goods stores in your area, or gun stores if they exist. Pawn shops can also be good places to find cheap guns.
>>
>>31961149
been told to stay away from pawn shops as you've got no idea what the gun's been through
>>
File: UTAH.jpg (15KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
UTAH.jpg
15KB, 640x640px
What is /k/ opion on Marlin 1894 in 44rem magnum? And what is a fair price? I see most going for around $625-$690?
>>
As per usual we recommend starting with a .22
Henry makes a great line of .22 leverguns, it was my first gun back in the day and I love it to death.

But if you're a functional adult you may as well start off with 30-30 as it's useful for far more things should you ever need or choose to use it for defense, hunting, etc.
>>
>>31961156
>the guy that told me this either doesn't know shit about guns or doesn't think I know shit about guns

Read up on signs of firearm use.
>>
>>31961159
I love mine, and that's a good price, but keep it the fuck away from humidity. The bluing is not as tough as you might think.
>>
>>31961172
He's not wrong, though. Pawnshops are notorious for carrying bubba special fuddguns.
>>
>>31961172
to be fair i DONT know shit about guns
>>
>>31961159
Guy I knew had one. Every so often a it would let a second round slip in as it was feeding, and tie the gun up. Fun to shoot though.
>>
>>31961156
Seconding
>>31961172
Its like buying a car off craigslist. Know what you are looking for in terms of use
>>
>decent lever action
>3-400
Good luck op
If you're just entry level get a bolt action. More reliable, simpler, cheaper, easier to maintain.
>>
So far i've found two options I like. I guess?

I see a henry .22 repeating rifle from Academy by work
and a Mosberg 464 .30-30 from the same store whats the benefits of the .30-30 over the .22 as its almost 150 more
>>
>>31961087
Well the rifles you posted in that image start at about 650 bucks, and they are great rifles. You could find a fun marlin for 400 bucks i bet, or look into a .22 lever gun which is o so fun to plink with.
>>31961134
>>
>>31961134
Can confirm. I got the Big boy steal in .357 magnum and i'm using boxes of 38 special that cost about 20 bucks for 50 rounds.
>>
>>31961281
Depends on what you're doing. if you're just target shooting get a .22. 50 bucks for 500 rounds. If you intend to hunt large game 30-30 is the way to go.
>>
>>31961170
yeah but then you're looking at a buck a bullet
>>
>>31961342
You're right. OP should consider one in .357, that way he has some beefy heavy hitter loads and can also load it with cheap as sin .38 loads for plinking and soft recoil.
>>
>>31961336
I'm not really a hunter and I don't plan to be. I wouldn't mind going turkey hunting with my brothers. and a buck a bullet does sound a little costly.Honestly I just kinda wanna do some target shoot. My only problem is my friend said the .22 rounds are hard to come by? Which didn't make any sense to me. Is that true?
>>
>>31961366
After the Sandy Hook shooting, .22 basically disappeared off of store shelves nationwide, for years to come.

It's readily accessible now, so your friend is a little behind the times. Not as prevalent as it used to be but you will never not be able to find it at the current date and time.
>>
>>31961366
>I wouldn't mind going turkey hunting with my brothers.
Turkeys are best hunted with 12 gauge shotguns. Get a good Mossberg, Maverick, or (non-Express) Remington 870 for that.
>>
>>31961366
Find a good gun store. It can be hard to come by in a chain store like wal mart or fleet farm, but the gun store in my area always has ammo at fair prices.
>>
>>31961389
I prefer winchesters and benellis but that's a separate issue.
>>
>>31961408
I prefer my Vepr-12, but OP was looking for basic beginner guns, and I wouldn't recomend the Vepr to someone who wasn't already familiar with both shotguns and AKs.
>>
>>31961180
And you should be able to tell if its been bubbad easily and you should look up what to look for when buying used guns. I you don't go in and buy the first gat you see and actually do a bit of research into the firearm you want checking pawn shops may save you money.
>>
>>31961134
I just bought that Rossi a month ago. It's great fun and a good rifle. I'll be using it for deer in a couple weeks in Ohio but the take down for cleaning is a massive pain. Wish I'd have saved up more and bought the Henry but I used my savings for a Lee turret press so whatever
>>
>>31961087
I got a Marlin 336 new from Walmart for 360 dollars. First gun.
>>
>>31961177
it's Remington's bluing technique. the same one they use on the 870s and most of their rifles.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.