[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the capabities of norte korean made mbts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Tank_3.jpg (26KB, 441x239px) Image search: [Google]
Tank_3.jpg
26KB, 441x239px
What are the capabities of norte korean made mbts?
>>
>>31959998
Their newest is probably on par with a modernized T-72 or something. But they mainly rely on old Type 59/T-55 variants and they are complete crap.
>>
>>31959998
Not really known, at least the ones that matter. The only tanks we have solid data for are the ones they've had since we were fighting them in a shooting war, which are basically laughably outdated junk now.

Their newer tanks made in the 90s are basically made by modifying and combining designs from various T-72 and T-64 models to create a finished product, expect similar performance to the kinds of tanks middle eastern countries buy from russia.

Remember seeing a documentary about Nork defectors living in the south. One was a tank commander who said it didn't really hit home for him how the north was one big fantasy world until he wandered into a military museum and saw the same tanks he'd been told were cutting edge war machines collecting dust as museum pieces.

Also they have a lot of reliability problems, they just can't maintain their machines well anymore and tanks require a lot of maintenance. Some of the mayday parades have to have tanks being driven on flatbed trailers because they can't afford to drive them down the road, or are too afraid of them breaking down mid parade.

tl;dr, their exact capabilities are not exactly known but are presumed to be pretty bad.
>>
>>31960022
So only the new ones are any kinda of treat to south korean armor
What are the odd of north korea have any modern ammunition for its mbts?
>>
>>31960055
>So only the new ones are any kinda of treat to south korean armor
Yes, sort of, but even their best tanks has bad crews by western standards and they are still years behind anything SK has.

>What are the odd of north korea have any modern ammunition for its mbts?
Absolute zero
>>
>>31960045
Yes it is a known fact that NK still uses t-34-85 but i belive north korean commanders are under any ilusion that those tank can do little more then infantry support
They have to have some kinda of plan to real with k1s and k2 tanks and airforce sure as hell isnt one of them
>>
>>31960091
I wonder what shells their tanks use
Prolly just some 60s beat shells and some old ass apbc ww2 rounds
>>
>>31960098
They do. It's called fuckloads of uberheavy artillery.
>>
>>31960098
Brass might know that but the common grunts are told their equipment is the best.

Not that it's 'good' but better than everyone else. Like how the peasants know they live a hard life and are starving all the time, but they're convinced everywhere else is worse, so this is actually pretty good and being hungry a lot is just how life is.

The guy I'm talking about was a tank commander of one of those old rolling relics and he said he never saw any reason to doubt that their tanks were perfectly modern and effective vehicles that could totally beat anyone.

The top brass seems to have some idea of how outmatched they are, but even their plans to deal with that are retarded. One high officer who defected says that their plan to deal with the overwhelming conventional war power of the south and America is to lead in with nukes and do some super special ops asymmetric warfare stuff to capture all of South Korea in 5-7 days, then assume that the US will just shrug and let them keep it rather than try to retake it.
>>
>>31960121
How does filling as Sqmile with 200mm shells going to stop south korean tanks from rolling over waves of infantry
>>
>>31960111
The Norks shelled an SK held island a few months back. EOD crews went in to examine the damage and found that about half of the shells and rockets fired in total were duds that had to be dug out of the ground. Examining the shells showed that they were of Soviet origin and had probably been sitting in some storage shed for 30-40 years before being used.
>>
File: nork magnets.jpg (23KB, 378x197px) Image search: [Google]
nork magnets.jpg
23KB, 378x197px
>>31960141
1) I doubt they're going to shell their own infantry.

2) I never claimed it was a GOOD plan.
>>
>>31959998
My favorite line about a potential second Korean war was from the commander of US forces in SK at the time. It was something to the effect of

"You don't understand, we're not here to keep North Korea from conquering South Korea, we're here to make sure the South Koreans don't charge all the way into China."
>>
>>31960128
I doubht thats acctualy true the koreans are paranoied not stupid they must like to their Grunts a bit but not that mutch in training the manual have a description of the enemy equipment and how to real with it they must have some idea of the state of their equipment
And some NK plans arent that crazy they would simply swarm SK and flatten seoul with heavy arty and trap most surviving forces in Busan in 1 to 2 weeks
>>
>>31960194
A big portion of Nork infantry training is party doctrine and loyalty training, and for about half the year they use the soldiers as laborers on collective farms.

The military is there to keep the people in line, both by being the jackboot to put down any major dissent, but also to be the shining pride of the nation. North Korea's elite remains in power so long as the people think they are the only thing protecting them from invasion and death, they do this by constantly reminding them how evil and brutal outsiders are, and showing how powerful and invincible their own military is.

They don't give their grunts any kind of objective understanding of enemy capabilities, because that would break the fantasy of their own power. They would no more tell their tank commanders how tough enemy tanks are than they would tell their peasants how nice the standard of living for the average south korean is.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.