[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Side charging ar15

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 81236382993.jpg (95KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
81236382993.jpg
95KB, 1280x720px
so what does /k/ think about side charging mods for the ar15 platform. Im seriously considering having my local gunsmith do pic related to my ar and I've been weighing the pros and cons but i need to bounce this off someone else. BTW just because someone wont realise, this is for a charging handle on the left side only and would be reciprocating

pros
>able to charge weapon without removing your sight from optics
>able to work the BCG without removing hand from trigger
>full control over BCG removing the need for a forward assist(i personally hate the forward assist)
>debatably easier and quicker to grab(really it just comes down to training)

con
>one more thing to possibly get hung up on
>adds one more place shit could get into
>depending on a highly specific situation it may hit you
>muh "fixing a problem that doesnt exist"

btw those who think it will hit you in the face or something here is a video showing someone shooting with this mod
https://youtu.be/TbRCHutbBVc

also in regards to fixing a problem that doesnt exist this isnt entirely true as every pro i listed is a con to the current rear charging system. also another example of that is people saying that about gas piston systems and that solves the problem of carbon buildup inside the reciver wich is a hell of a lot harder to clean then the gas block on the barrel
>>
>>31958109
>>able to charge weapon without removing your sight from optics

Only if you're loading from closed bolt on an empty chamber, and if you're in any situation where you need to quickly aim and fire, your chamber shouldn't be empty. If you're a range ninja, it literally doesn't fucking matter. So wrong here
>>able to work the BCG without removing hand from trigger
After understanding above, there's already a bolt release lever on the side of the receiver that already lets you release the bolt without shifting your shoulder or grip. Wrong again
>>full control over BCG removing the need for a forward assist(i personally hate the forward assist)
That's not how real side charging ARs work, and if you're just welding a bolt into your bcg you need to kill yourself
>>debatably easier and quicker to grab(really it just comes down to training)
This isn't even a point. Running around with an m249 is debatably easier since you dont have to reload as often. Using a shotgun is debatably easier to aim.

tl;dr try shooting guns first before trying to be a whigger
>>
>>31958109
Paying a gunsmith to modify your charging handle from non-reciprocating to reciprocating and cutting a channel into your receiver further exposing your bolt is retarded.

Buying a non-reciprocating side charging upper like a Gibbz is Gucci, but justifiable.

I built a blow back operated AR-9 that will host a suppressor. Keeping the gas from shooting out of the back of the receiver into my face is justification for the additional $150 spent on a side charge upper.
>>
>>31958109
No.

Please.

No.
>>
>>31958157

There are plenty of far less pricy and just as serviceable side charging uppers with non-reciprocating charging handles on tracks like the gibbz
>>
>>31958109
The AR's charging handle is the weakest point of the whole gun. But a side charging handle is a solution to a "problem" that really isn't a problem.
Also, many people do magwell grips, this is asking for a busted knuckle.
>>
>>31958133
>there's already a bolt release lever on the side of the receiver that already lets you release the bolt without shifting your shoulder or grip

you realize i said work, not release, this also falls under the >charge weapon without removing your sight from optics
for example say you have a failure to feed or seat properly (in traditional sense this is where you would use the forward assist) however with this you wouldn't need to either remove your firing hand or remove sight from optics to simply use your left hand to push the BCG and seat the round

>That's not how real side charging ARs work, and if you're just welding a bolt into your bcg you need to kill yourself

although i wouldn't be welding to the BCG as that removes the ability to well remove the handle, i would have the gunsmith drill and tap a hole into the thick part of the bolt carrier, that way the handle can be threaded into and also out of the BCG for disassembly
>>
>>31958109
>more cons:
>doesn't look as cool as the T handle
>less interchangeability with other ARs
>you already said it but it makes the rifle less sealed off, which is a major factor in why ARs are so good
>>
>>31958109
If you want SIDE charging, get the Gibbz arms upper.

Understand that it's $250 and comes with a proprietary cam pin you have to use for it to work.

I have one and it's pretty solid. Side charging is the best configuration IMO, but it has drawbacks on the AR platform as it is now.

I probably will not use it for my next build, only because of high price and the modulatity loss with the Gibbz.

The gap for potential dust isn't that different, though the Gibbz does not include a FA, DC or shell deflector.
>>
>>31958329
you see the problem with the gibbz upper is that it totally removes the point of full control of the BCG in favor for a more sealed off receiver.

although i understand where the gibbz has its benefit, if i was to do side charging i would want to not only be able to pull the BCG but also push if necessary, example with a failure to seat a round in the chamber or somesuch
>>
>>31958109

Why not just buy a Galil then?
>>
>>31958380
costs alot more, and not as interchangeable. otherwise solid platform as far as i know
>>
>>31958367
Yeah but those issues can be avoided by buying a good bolt and ammo that isn't shit.

Reciprocating charging handles literally have no place on any modern gun.
>>
You could just buy a charging handle that goes from the back, down to the side... They are pretty popular in bongsville due to stupid laws and rifles being straight pull.
>>
>>31959179
Fuck off, Lizerd
>>
>>31959179
Michael pls
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.