[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Differences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 11

File: image.jpg (33KB, 600x354px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 600x354px
I'm in the market for a six shot .357 mag, preferably without a Hillary hole, and can handle a steady magnum diet. Now I've been eyeing the gp100, and sometimes the sp101 even if it's one round less. I hear they are tanks, and that's the most important thing to me.
So the thing is I saw a security six while looking around, and have become very interested in it. Then I see the speed six. As far as I can tell the only differences are the sights, and the grips, like they tried to make a cc friendly security six.
I'd like to know if there are any differences I missed, and if they are good revolvers. Also experiences with gp100s/sp101s encouraged as well.
> pic is Security Six
>>
File: image.jpg (142KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142KB, 640x480px
>>31955221
Here's the Speed Six. I think I prefer the Speed Six for my personal uses.
>>
>>31955221
The only difference between the Security and Speed is that the Speed has a round butt and fixed sights.
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 300x200px
>>31955221
GP100. Also an option. Are these grips as delightful as they look?
>>
>>31955221
Grab the Security Six. It was Ruger's attempt to break into the cop gun market... and it came just as everybody started switching to semi autos. But it was an earnest attempt, and those handguns were so finely made they didn't make a single dime off of them.

They were HAND FITTED, OP. They are gems. Grab it.
>>
>>31955236
Then grab that.

>>31955263
They're kind of squishy and tacky and feel wrong for me. Pick one up and see what your hands say.
>>
File: image.jpg (152KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152KB, 640x480px
>>31955221
SP101. 5 shot tho.
>>
File: DSC00074.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00074.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>31955221
this is my little sp101
Built like a tank, feels great in the hand.
I'd recommend it to someone who lives in cold climates.
>>
>>31955279
>It was Ruger's attempt to break into the cop gun market... and it came just as everybody started switching to semi autos

Security Six came out in 1972. The semi-auto craze didn't start until the 1990s.
>>
>>31955221
I own the GP100 KGP161 (6"Steel Finish). They're overbuilt and simple but they're reliable. After market is pretty decent too. I've seen people replace the top with a picatinny rail or add a laser grip. When my father bought his they came with wood grips but he added those rubber hogue grips. If I recall that's now the standard.

I've only put a few hundred rounds through it, but it's what I carry during hunting season for bears.
>>
File: IMG_2157.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2157.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I own a Ruger SP101 - little 2" snub

Now, just because it's small doesn't mean it's light. It's got a lot of heft to it; and that's great, because it can handle some hot .357 mag rounds like a champ. Like you said, built like a tank - it's solid.

The handle is also a plus.
>>
Got a 3" sp101. It's hefty but helps you handle those frothy hot loads like a champ. DA trigger pull is kind of heavy for my taste but I'm a bitch so. Can't go wrong with it though.
>>
File: image.jpg (210KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
210KB, 800x600px
>>31955257
Ok, I figured as much. Thank you.
>>31955279
So that's a vote for Ruger then. Ruggedness is pretty important. Mine are going in and out of holsters and glove boxes all day.
>>31955293
That sounds excellent. I mostly deal with pavement apes, but if I got any of the other .357s mentioned I could carry it at work too, have to pack.38s but shit.
>>31955301
I'd definitely leave it stock apart from just trying grips, but it's good to know I can go all terminator if I want.
> Speed Six, bobbed hammer.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>31955307
I'm used to carrying a Metro Arms American Classic 2 (blued) and two extra mags in a shitty fobus double mag paddle holster. I'm used to toting around fullsize, steel framed handguns. Makes me appreciate good belts.
>>
File: IMG_1139.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1139.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
+1 for gp100
I own a Match Champion (plz don't laugh). It's easier to strip and clean than my SW and I don't feel bad feeding it only magnum rounds and reloads I cook up. Wouldn't do that with my model 19. Also Gp100 are $100 cheaper than any smith
>>
>>31955431
Sounds like you don't mind the heft then!

If you're worried about capacity, I'd go with the GP100 or Security Six.

You going to carry speed loaders?
>>
>>31955376
>Ruggedness is pretty important.
Then you *do* want a Ruger, of whatever vintage. Their revolvers in particular are overengineered like hell. They are built like very small tanks. Someone has probably beat a Kodiak bear to death with one by now. Didn't hurt the gun either.
>>
>>31955460
Prices are nice. I took a look at Smiths 6 guns in .357 and the only ones I saw that I'd like are the classics. And they're a bit more expensive where I can see these Rugers would suit me just fine for less.
>>31955467
I've looked at a lot of speed loader holsters, and decided it's probably best to carry speed strips. Probably two of them.
>>
I grew up shooting a Speed Six, they are more likely to bind up than a S&W. Ejector rod has a tendency to back out with use, can lock the gun up completely
>>
>>31955470
I could imagine posting pics of the stainless gp100 covered on blood, resting atop the recently caved in skull of said Kodiak.
>>
>>31955539
Another anon said there was decent aftermarket for these guns, how many rounds would you expect the said parts to wear?
>>
File: image.jpg (56KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56KB, 600x450px
>>31955221
Speed Six with t grips.
>>
>>31955263
I have one and fucking love it, those grips are so comfy you won't believe you're shooting magnums
>>
>>31955539
I got same problem with security six, everytime I shoot or dry fire slowly but surely the threads on ejector rod start un threading, how do I fix this? Should I take to gunshop for repair?

Also how strong is the hand on the six is it easy to fuck up if bing careless?
>>
>>31955578
> I once knew of an indoor range that had one as a rental gun and it digested, by their estimate, some 1,400,000 rounds with no parts breakages and minimal maintenance.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_security_six.htm
>>
>>31955605
Hell of an endorsement. The gun just looks correct with them, an no other grips I've seen. Hogue makes a kind of birds head shaped set of grips that I wonder about if they fit, but they're straight wood with some texturing, no rubber to help with grip.
>>
>>31955625
Yeah I always imagine finding one that just sat in some cop, or security guards holster for thirty years before he died and his wife sold it. Probably never shot it but to qualify.
Goddamn that's a bunch of ammo. I wonder if minimal maintenance means small part replacements? Either way that shits impressive.
>>
>>31955639
I should also mention I have fairly large hands, so the large grips may just fit me well. Definitely recommend the gun for what you're asking though, and like the other anon said there's a large market for customizing so there's a lot to be done if it doesn't fit well
>>
Hey op be aware of the security sixes haveing round and square butts if you want some different wood grips.

Think the difference is serial number 151k and up or before. Sure you can look it up yourself.

Got a security six myself (4 and 2.5in) both are awesome.
>>
>>31955221

Get one. I have an old Police Service Six from the early 1980's. Sweet shooter and built like a fucken tank.
>>
File: 20161109_030307.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161109_030307.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>31955470
Over engineered would be the opposite of durable with a bunch of extra little moving parts anywhere.

Though I won't lie, Rugers are probably some of the most durable revolvers, they don't handle the best though. Don't like the way they feel, shoot, or even look for that matter. But I'm pretty biased.
>>
>>31955221
Excuse me what do you refer as a Hillary Hole ? Never owned or handled a revolver sorry
>>
>>31957552
It's a gun lock built into the gun I believe, I don't know much about it other than that cause Rugers don't have it.
>>
Having owned a security six and an SP101, I'd recommend the security six any day of the week. I've performed trigger jobs on both, replaced the 101 trigger spring with a lighter one, same with the hammer and it still doesn't feel NEARLY as smooth as the security six. Besides, the security six is just too sexy to pass up.

To be fair, if you can't find yourself a security six the 101 is definitely a viable alternative.
>>
>>31955291
If I was going to get an SP101 I'd go .327 Magnum instead.
>.03 inches smaller bullet diameter
>but you get an extra shot
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.