[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Air Guns for squirrels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

Alright /k/ so I'm thinking about buying a crossman 1377 and I want your oppinion about it?
>>
How about air guns for rabbits? They're eating my fucking lettuce.
>>
>>31951644
I have the .22 version and it takes everything from rats to squirrels to crows.
>>
>>31951709
Do you think that a .177 would get squirrels?
>>
>>31951738
Absolutely.
>>
>>31951644
.17 HMR or .22 MAG is also a good alternative to traditional .11 LR

Apart from higher muzzle velocity, it resists ammo shortages really well.
Even when I hadn't seen .22 LR on shelves for 6 months at a stretch, there was still either .22 MAG or .17 HMR.

Does anybody have experience with either of those calibers?
>>
>>31951910
Thank you that helped
>>
File: Dead nigga.jpg (353KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Dead nigga.jpg
353KB, 1200x1200px
Listen nigger the best and I mean best way to kill these fuckers is getting a air gun with at least 1000 fps and getting a small animal trap and killing it in there. That way you can't be fucked actually finding these fuckers. I got a chinese military training airgun they are cheap and some of them can look like an SKS. I use it in the city but use a .22 if you are not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1RhvG9fr_Q
>>
>>31951966
Well I'm under 21 and can't buy a real gun of course me and my dad have lots of guns total although, but what do you need to know about 22 lr I had one for awhile and then sold it for the money.
>>
>>31951976
I get that but I'm on a budget, but how much would one of those go for?
>>
>>31952001
I got my airgun like the one in the vid at a redneck flea market which you should be going to if you are on /k/. I got it for $10 and it works really damn well. The stock is made of wood as well so it looks and feels really damn nice. I got a buddy that has a browning one like mine but it cost him a little more than $150. The traps are like maybe $20 but last a really long time if taken care of. Also getting an outdoor cat can be wonderful for pest control.
>>
>>31951966
.17 HMR makes squirrels explode. It's accurate further than .22 LR, more velocity, more energy, lighter bullet. Almost all are some form of hollow point with polymer tip and bolt action and very accurate.

.22 mag didn't impress me a lot. It's loud for what it is, decently accurate for what it is, nothing special in any way. Just the same old bullets with more powder behind them due to the longer casing.

Either will kill pretty much any small game. If you plan to eat the squirrel or rabbit and use .17 HMR, go for head shots only or risk bruising and blood inside the best parts of the meat as well as possible lead pieces from fragmentation. If the same and use .22 magnum, I dunno. Just shoot shit with it. I always just use a .22 LR marlin model 60 and only take head shots and out to about 40 yards with a cheap scope. I have no problem finding ammo at this point in time but in the past, had enough stocked up to plink every weekend and hunt with and not be short.
>>
I posted in the QTDDTOT and got no hits, will repost here.
Regarding air rifles:
Is nitrogen gas piston based for general purpose?
Is break barrel the only option for nitro piston?
Would mounting a IER-LER scope onto the barrel mitigate the accuracy issues common to break barrel rifles?
>>
>>31951990
Holy shit are you 14? Use some punctuation, god damn.
>>
>>31951644
Just use your .22 desu
>>
>>31952111

no, no, no, and no.

Nitro piston simply uses gas instead of a spring, to mitigate some of the vibration and torque issues resulting from poor engineering in low quality air rifles.

All the best ones (tx200, pro sport, hw97, lgv, lgu) are spring powered. Most of them (all 'cept the lgv) are fixed barrel.

As usual - it's a question of money, and how much you are willing to spend.

A good spring piston air rifle starts at $200 (walther terrus), although you can get decent ones for less. A top end springer will set you back around 1k (~600 for the rifle, and 400+ for scope).

The main "accuracy issue" for springers is vibration, and in the case of break barrels, loose tolerances in the barrel lock system - the only one I will trust completely is Walther's wedge lock, but I'm a bit paranoid about this.

>>31951976
>1000 fps

fps is a meaningless stat. 1000 fps with what weight pellets? 5 grain? 8 grain? 16 grain?

Also, pellets are really bad at transsonic speed.

Also also - it's not velocity, but energy that kills.
>>
>>31951644
I bought that exact gun about 10 years ago. Wanted a pistol, couldn't buy one seeing as that I was 14, and I didn't want to have to constantly buy CO2 cartridges.

Crazy accurate and powerful. I was hitting cans at 30 yards freehand no problem as someone with no handgun experience, it's that easy to shoot.

Fucking A+ purchase. Gonna dig my old one out tomorrow, benchrest it, and see how far I can hit a can with it since I now have about a 300 yard shot from my house to where my driveway curves. Haven't been able to shoot for a while because I don't want to scare all the deer but I forgot that pellets are quiet.
>>
>>31955893
>crazy accurate
>cans at 30 yards

congratulations, stormtrooper.

if you're not consistently hitting 0.5 inch targets out to 50 meters, you have no buisness talking about accuracy.
>>
>>31955912
I mean, as a 14 year old shooting cans in my backyard of course I wasn't Olympic tier. Never claimed to be. But if it's thoughtlessly easy for me to do that then I'd imagine that it's pretty fucking accurate/easy to shoot.
>>
>>31955951

i'm not dissing your 14 yo self, but a can js a huge target.

when the size of the target exceeds 4 mil dots at 50m, there's really no challenge in hitting it.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.